Home
What is a good load for a sharps in 45-70 using a 405 grain cast bullets? I have IMR 4227, IMR 4064, 4831, and IMR 4350. thanks
tom
5744 is the stuff.
Pump, H4895 is one of the powders you want to try for moderate velocity in a mid-capacity black powder case. I am guessing that the low 40's or so for a charge. I have shot a boat load of H4895 in my 40-70ss with some jacketed bullets and it performed nicely. Those charges got into the 50gr range.

You might also investigate IMR 4759, I use it a lot in reduced loads for my 300 win mag while my neck is recovering from having a titanium plate installed.

5744 is also rumored to be useful at the slow end of big cases. I have not used it myself but there are lots of loads listed for it and there is a guy who took a Sharps to Africa for plains game and he loaded his rifle with black powder equivalent loads using 5744.

SS
Josh
Reloder 7 is very good for 45-70
I went to hogdon's online loading manual last night. they give a load using 405 cast bullets with imr 4064 between 46 and 49.5 grains with mv of 1534-1690. now this was a trapdoor load not a sharps load. tom
Sharps .45-70 is vague, and very non-specific....it is it a real American Sharps,C. Sharps, Shilo, Scheutzen Guns, A very good quality Pedersoli,.....

....or something else?

What "Sharps" are we talking about.My guess is that it's marked "Black Powder only"

Real important that folks know, before starting to toss out load data like Mardi Gras beads, ....

5744 dittos, with a real bad case of ".458 Lott performance desired" heebie-jeebies on this particular subject......

Why in the hell do people buy BPCRs to shoot white powder out of anyways.

wierd, and way dangerous.

GTC

It is a Taylor Crossfire
Yes it is a taylor & Co sharps. Les and I did a trade this weekend. Been wanting one since the first time I saw Quigley down under. grin tom
One thing that should be agreed on anyways, is that the 4350 and 4831 are a real BAD idea in cases this large.

Having encountered some exceptionally tight barrels from Italian firms, I would do some slugging and chamber casting before dumping anything but a cast bullet into that chamber.

GTC
Ditto and Amen to Crossfire's statement. Those slow burners are great in 300 win mag but might act more like a grenade in a Sharps. I also have not had the courage to use a filler or spacer type wad over the powder with an air space in one of the larger black powder cases. It just smells like trouble.

SS
At this point I am planing on sticking with the 405 cast lead. Not planing on doing anything with jacketed bullets. tom
Why would anyone want to do that to a perfectly good black powder piece. The whole idea is to blow as much smoke as possible and stink up the countryside. Just buy a Ruger #1 or Siamese mauser and have at it. I must admit though that it looked like Quigley was running smokeless. 1Minute
© 24hourcampfire