Home
Posted By: Tod New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/17/08
Huge thanks to member 85win, who found an NIB Browning low wall in 22 hornet for me at a local dealer. Wood is pretty nice. I had to clean off some old oil, as this gun had been sitting in box for at least a decade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Don't they look so nice!
Posted By: Jerryv Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/19/08
Very Nice! Pictures would come out better on a neutral background, but it looks like there is some nice figure in the wood.

Mine had a 3x9 Vari-X II on it when I got it. Makes a nicely balanced package. If it wasn't so cold this weekend, I would get it out and do some shooting. Oh, well; maybe next weekend. I should do some reloading anyway. I have a pound of lil gun that I've been meaning to try.

Jerry
Tod,

Those are sweet lil' rifles. I have a Leupold 6x Compact AO on mine, and I can't imagine a better combination. smile If it shoots as well as mine, you'll never regret buying it.

Grasshopper
Posted By: 65BR Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/19/08
STOP it! Makes me miss my 243.....
Posted By: Tod Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/19/08
Yeah, I need to work on the whole photography thing.

I dropped a Leupold EFR 3-9x onto the hornet, as I had on laying around. I wanted something with a parallax for under 100 yards if required.
Looks real nice, Tod.

That will have to be a real fun rifle.
That looks to be a real nice piece of lumber on that Low Wall, but the Browning dark stain and epoxy finish are hiding the best part of it. I recommend you have that expoy finish stripped and a good oil type finish applied. Here's how mine turned out after I had it done:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John
I expect to see you at the range with that beauty when the snow clears---sometime in May if it keeps up. smile
Originally Posted by Tod
Huge thanks to member 85win, who found an NIB Browning low wall in 22 hornet for me at a local dealer. Wood is pretty nice. I had to clean off some old oil, as this gun had been sitting in box for at least a decade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh my. That is absolutely gorgeous.

Steve
Posted By: Tod Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/21/08
I am seriously considering the oil rub, but I don;t know if i am up to the task. I may just buy a replacement stock from Brownells, and send the original out for refinishing. There's a local; guy who's really good, if you don't mind waiting a year or two.
Originally Posted by Tod
I am seriously considering the oil rub, but I don;t know if i am up to the task. I may just buy a replacement stock from Brownells, and send the original out for refinishing. There's a local; guy who's really good, if you don't mind waiting a year or two.

Try Harvey King at HK Custom Guns. He did the refinish work and the recoil pad installation on my .260. Does great work, price is reasonable, and he is a great guy. As I recall, I waited 6 weeks to get mine back. Well worth it!

John
Originally Posted by Tod

Who's the local guy (Helena)?
Posted By: Tod Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/23/08
I can never remember his name, at Frontier Gun Shop on Montana.

I think I may take the Low Wallt to capital and have them K-hornetize it. an't make up my mind if I should leave it as is or not.

Any opinions?
Posted By: jim62 Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/24/08
Todd,

There is no WAY in heck I would EVER consider running a K- Hornet reamer through that Browning(or in any other Hornet for that matter).

Why?

In 1947 the K Hornet was needed.In 2007 is not.

During the last ten years I have owned three Browning 1885 Hornets. With partially neck sized fireformed brass, loaded with LILGUN powder and the bullet the gun like, I cannot see ANY advantage to a K Hornet in terms of accuracy, velocity OR case life. with the LILGUN and the neck sized brass case life is great and using 40g V-max bullets, accuracy ,trajectory and killing power to well past 200 yards was superb.

Every 1885 Browning Low wall I owned in .22Hornet.,223 and 243 was capable of 1/2MOA groups when fed properly.

Posted By: Tod Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/24/08
Thanks all

I think I'm going to leave the gun as is. If case life is no longer and issue, why change?
Beautiful rifle. It is hard to do any better than the Browning High Wall / Low Wall. Lee Shaver is the best gunsmith & shooter I know and he has told me they shoot as well as any rifle he can build and as well as anything costing $3000 and up.
Originally Posted by Tod
I can never remember his name, at Frontier Gun Shop on Montana.

I think I may take the Low Wallt to capital and have them K-hornetize it. an't make up my mind if I should leave it as is or not.

Any opinions?

Oh you mean Dennis, Arnie from Capital Sport's brother. Yup, he's good.
Posted By: Tod Re: New Browning 1885 22 Hornet - 01/26/08
Brothers? That's interesting.
Go with the oil rubbed re-finish!! I hate that plastic looking Browning finish, and it looks like you have nice grain in that stock.

Todd
© 24hourcampfire