Home
I posted about this last summer, in another forum, but thought you single shot afficianados, would get a kick out of the pics. My son and I went on our first african plains game safari, last summer. My son has always hunted with single shot rifles and shotguns, so that was what he was taking. He used a .30-06 handi rifle with Federal factory ammo, 180 gr. nosler partitions. He walked his a** off for 10 days, and here are the results, 7 one shot kills. Hope you boys enjoy the pics.

[Linked Image]

red hartebeast.

[Linked Image]

impala

[Linked Image]

warthog

[Linked Image]

zebra, with Ricco the wonder dog

[Linked Image]

Blesbok.

[Linked Image]

kudu

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Africa%202008/IMG_1595.jpg[/img]

blue wildebeast.

maddog
WOW

and Thanks for sharing!
What kind of looks did he get from the other hunters? I think the Handis are a really good buy, and they certainly are handy but there is so much animus from the elitists that a fellow could be blackballed from hunting camp.

I am currently tuning a .25-06 Handi that belongs to one of my son's friends. I has the nicest wood I have seen on a Handi.

Leon
Leon, for starters, our party of 4 had the whole camp to ourselves. 3 of the 4 rifles taken were "unusual". Besides the handi rifle, I took my .45-70 marlin guide gun, and my buddy took his marlin xlr .308 mx. The phs had never had leveractions in camp before, and thought they were a hoot. The 4 of us took 30 head of plains game in 10 days of hunting.

maddog
Sounds like a fun trip. I like oddball guns. Oddball meaning anything outside the box. There seems to be such a stereotype of what is expected in terms of rifles. I really like your choices.

Leon
maddog;

You and your son and other hunters ought to contact Marlin/NEF (same company) about your trip. Who knows.....................
That rocks! You know, it doesn't matter what some of the elitists say, now you have proof that a ruger #1, Dakota Model 10, T/C Encore, etc. will not get the job done any better than a handi rifle since you have been to Africa to prove it!
War Eagle, don't get me wrong, I love Ruger no.1s. Hope to own 1 someday. My son isn't a gun crank, he shoots the cal./bullet combo i tell him, and goes out and kills somethin grin It was his idea to use the single shot handi rifle, because all his deer, and 1 bear were killed with either a handi or a tracker II 20 ga. It not only worked, but he only has $200 in the gun AND scope.

Here's a pic of all our trophies, except the zebra skins, after 10 days hunting.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Dontchaknow you can't do that you need at least 416 double barrel rifle that costs at least $50.000 to take all that game . now put it back. grin

PS: well done.
Maddog...Absolutely beautiful trophy's your son has there...I get a kick out of the zebra photo with that hound dog! grin...I bet your son won't be selling that handi any time soon...
Actually, the rifle he was going to take[H&R Ultra-fancier handi rifle], broke 4 days before the trip[long story]. My buddy let the boy borrow his handi .30-06. The boy bought it for 2 bills after we got home!

The hound was a 3 mo.old bloodhound that they were going to train to be a tracking dog. Ricco was in the truck everyday with my son. Dan got so attached to the little feller that he got him in all his hero pics. But the one with the zebra is priceless!

maddog
Very nice post and demonstration of the Handirifle's capabilities in the right hands.

But, just write me off as an elitist, cuz I would no more go to Africa with one -- a once-in-a-lifetime shot for me-- and use it there, than I would have walked up the aisle with my bride wearing a 'wife-beater' tee-shirt,sipping white lightining from a jar.

But then that's just me...or maybe even a few more of us, if we told the truth.

1B
1B, yep, take whatever gun yer comfortable with. Thats the point, my boy took what he was comfortable with. I personally am not making a statement about elitist or not, never really took to those kind of "arguments", anyway. My son doesn't post on the gun forums, isn't a gun loonie, and just hunts what with what he likes. I probably "upchucked" a few folks when they saw I hunted over there with a Marlin GG.......oh well....

maddog
As long as the caliber is sufficient, then the make and model of a gun makes no difference..Your son used a proper caliber and a perfect bullet and shot well, and thats the bottom line on any hunt...

By the same token there is nothing wrong with an expensive double rifle if you can afford one and can shoot it, and when hunting dangerous game the whole picture changes, a double could possibly save ones life and it has in the past on more than one ocassion, it it a must?, I hae mixed emotions on the subject and have used both bolt and doubles extensively in Africa, and I guess I still perhaps lean a tad towards the Mauser in a 404 Jefferys as my favorite gun/caliber. Its lighter to pack than any double and us old'uns like "lite beer and rifles"
Ray, hellava good point! But not everybody can afford a dbl. That being said, my son might opt for a ruger no. 1, in an appropriate caliber, if we do a dangerous game hunt.[which we are looking at]. BTW, just got a text from the boy, and he killed a big moutain lion in AZ. today. I am SO proud of him!!

maddog
Ya dun good, dawg! wink
Ugg...95% Indian...5% arrow
Ya know, those africans certainly know the proper way to show kill shots. Clean the animal up, prop him up correctly. Excellent photos.
CWG, yer right about taking time to pose the animal. My son and I decided after that trip, to do a better job of taking pics of our deer trophies, like getting the pic before gutting[if possible], and sticking the tongue back in the mouth, etc. It certainly makes for better pics.

maddog
I think this is a great thread. A synthetic stocked .223 Handi is one of my guilty pleasures and I've had a lot of fun with it. It's wears a scope that costs $100 more than the rifle.

I had accumulated a couple thousand pieces of .223 brass that I picked up at the range and decided to get a .223 rifle to use it in. First I bought a stainless/synthetic Ruger Model 77 in .223 and shot it a bit, then I bought the Handi on a whim one day when I had a few spare dollars to blow.

I've shot the Handi a *lot* more than the 77,....not because it's a better rifle,...just because it's more fun.

There's something very satisfying about a $225, break down, .223 single shot, American made rifle with a hammer.
That's fuggin awesome. Pass me a Bud so I can celebrate witcha.
I love handis, too. Just nabbed a .45-70 with black plastic stock. Sweet, sweet shooter, and oh so light with open sights. You and your son did way well. I've had a couple of '06 handis, both excellent shooters with 180-grain loads.
BEEN A FAN OF THE HANDI'S FOR YEARS!! MY FIRST WAS A 45-70. KICKED LIKE A MULE BUT WAS VERY ACCURATE. I BOUGHT MY 13 YEAR OLD SON A 243 LAST YEAR. HE LOVES IT. THIS YEAR ON OPENING DAY HE HAD A NICE 8 COME OUT FROM BEHIND SOME CEDARS HEADING FOR STATE GROUND. HE FIRED 4 SHOTS FROM THAT LITTLE SINGLE IN UNDER 10 SECONDS!! I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO MELT THE FOREARM OFF THAT THING!! NICE PICS AND CONGRATS ON A GREAT HUNT!
While I don't hunt with a single shot, my son has me inspired to try one. Just can't decide what I want.

maddog
Great photos of a great hunt! Congrats again to you and your son, as well as to Ricco the wonder dog! smile
Yeah Guy, good ole Rico.... Got me to lookin and I found 2-3 with ole Rico in em. Here they are, just for fun. God, I loved that pooch grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope ya like em. Ah, a boy and his dog[for 10 days] grin

maddog
Nice.
When that pup grows into them feet he's gonna be a helluva big pooch grin

Mad Dog
Two thumbs up! Sounds, (and looks), like a great hunt, and a great time. My nephew started hunting this year, and I insisted he start with one of my Handi-Rifles. I started with a single shot almost too many years ago to remember, and still love them today. I like a new shooter/hunter to get it in their head that they have to make the one shot good, good advice for any age or level of experience. I have a number of guns I hunt with, and have taken some good natured slack from buddies when I choose to hunt with one of my NEF's, but I eat good every year! Congrats on a great hunt, you've every right to be proud of your boy, thanks for sharing the pics and story!
This is a great thread. A friend who has owned over 100 rifles and shotguns in the last 15 years swears the most accurate he ever owned was an NEF in 22 Hornet. My only objection to them is the awful trigger. I almost bought one in 243 last week for a truck gun but the trigger just really put me off.
Getting a 'smith to do a trigger around here would cost another $100. It's cheaper to get it to begin with.
Wow, $100 bucks?! I had my trigger done probably 10 years ago, the guy charged me twenty bucks, and took it to 2&1/2 pounds, made all the difference in the world. Last I heard, and it's been a while since I've checked, if you send the gun back to have other barrels fit for it, they would take your trigger back to 4 #'s upon request. I can't verify that, and four pounds isn't great, but as you say, a lot better than the stock trigger.
Originally Posted by maddog
While I don't hunt with a single shot, my son has me inspired to try one. Just can't decide what I want.

maddog

Now is definitely the time to acquire a #1 Ruger. You will not be disappointed. I'm not.

[Linked Image]

And if you make it a big bore, so much more fun as well. laugh
I have a Handi rifle and a Ruger #1 in 30-06. I find the Handi much faster and easier to load than the ruger and these two rifles are in a dead heat as to accuracy. I did the trigger on the Handi and it breaks nicely at 2 1/2 pounds. The Ruger is much prettier though. If the conditions call for a rough hunt in the rain the Ruger doesn't get to go.
I just bought a handi today in 22-250. have a simmons master series 6 - 18 x 40 A/O scope laying in the safe that is going to go on top.
haven't had a 22-250 since 1974 so I am really looking forward to getting to the range. plan on using it for yotes and possibly deer.

Great pixs and story. you have every right to be a proud dad.
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/?action=view&current=30-06target001.jpg
I have the H@R Handi in 30-06 and from the bench at 100 yard target this gun will shoot
Great story.Nice pics.Congrats to you and your Boy.
shootist, if africa shows up in the scheme of things, again, I might have to look into the .450/.400 3" topped with a leupie to take over with me.

maddog
Totally NARLY, Dude...I'm very envious... cry cool

It has never been the rifle or the caliber, per se, that kills...it is the hunter's ability to place the bullet correctly...the 30-06 has always been "enough rifle" for most of the worlds game...trying to convince others is the problem...not to say having lots of choice isn't a very good thing...it would be a very boring place without choice. wink

That said, I'm now rechambering an NEF 45-70 BC to 45-120 and adding a muzzle brake...I plan on shooting Ranger Ricks 720 gr T-Rex slugs mostly...720 at 1800-2000 fs should be quite enough for ANYTHING that walks the planet. mad

I also have two stub barreled Handi's...a 17 FB and a 6BR...both barely legal in the barrel length that are just a hoot to shoot and have almost replaced my other Varminters out to 250 yds or so.

I like the Handi for a number of reasons...if you do the required accuracy prepping they are almost as accurate as my $2500 fancies...the 17FB and 6BR will do 1/2-3/4" at 200 yds when I do my part with the trigger and the ammo. I also have a couple of stub barrel ideas when the time is right.

I'm not sure I would use ANY single shot on DG unless the PH was standing right beside me with a large caliber double and a gun bearer holding a large cal bolt gun right behind me...even though I don't have any doubts about my ability to shoot large calibers or place the bullet where it would do the most good...or use a levergun unless the same conditions were met...I have a very high level of self preservation that would hole me back...but for planes game the Handi has lots going for it.

The only thing I really don't like about the Handi's is the short barrel...I like a minimum of 24" and 26" is my normal barrel length except for varminters...plus the shorter barrel just make the package LOOK unbalanced.

I have several other single shot pistols and rifles...T/C's and XP-100's I have lots of fun with...but the Handi beats them all in price.

For those who don't like the "pallet wood" parts, you can always do it up with fancy wood...you can always re-do the polish and finish and now with the SS coming available you don't have to hide it from prying eyes of phoney balones. blush frown

Keep enjoying your toys.
NFG, speaking of pallet wood stocks, I just refinished a H&R Topper shotgun stock. I used Fiebings leather dye[mahogany], and topped it with about 8 coats of polyurethane. It came out awesome, and the leather dye really soaked in to the wood and showed off the grain [what there was] rather nicely. The color and look is very similar to shootist's ruger posted above, only shiney because of the poly.

maddog
I have had a soft spot for the old H&R/NEF action ever since I got my first real gun as a kid. It was an H&R Topper 20 ga. There is just something satisfying about its simplicity compactness. If I had not just purchased an old Savage 219 single shot 30-30, this thread would have inspired me to go find a decent handi rifle. Thanks for sharing the photos and story Maddog.
Love the dog pictures cool
i have hunted with all kinds of rifles them h&r and new englanders are fun and a great fire arm everbody thinks encluding me we need more fire power a bolt a jever avtion a pump ,auto what ever it comes to it our chosees and moneys dollars for dollar i used these new englanders or h&r shot the ruger them rossi the rem from russa don't have any others but new englands
Well, I got a Ruger no.1, 2 days ago. It's a 450/400 NE 3". I'm waiting on dies, so I can start reloading for it. It's a beauty!grin

maddog
Here is a pic of the Ruger no. 1, that I picked up. It's a 450/400 3" NE.

[Linked Image]

maddog
What scope is on the NEF 30-06?
A Simmons 1x5 power.

maddog
There was a time I had to sit out a deer season because I didn't own a deer rifle nor could I afford one.NEF is agreat deal for someone on a budget.
I agree. I have owned a couple of Ruger #1s and a Ruger #3 and they are great guns. They shot slightly better than my Handis, but not that much. A fellow on a budget would do well to consider a new/used Handi in the caliber of his choice. A friend if mine is currently trying to track down a Handi in .30-30 for me to cobble up into a youth deer rifle. If it is still unsold, I can get it for $200 with base and add a scope from the box of spares I have. The stock is easily shortened without crying over ruined walnut. What's not to like.
Originally Posted by maddog
Here is a pic of the Ruger no. 1, that I picked up. It's a 450/400 3" NE.

[Linked Image]

maddog

beautiful rifle!
I have a NEF in 17HMR and it shoots quite accurately. I wouldn't feel out of place hunting big game with a NEF in a high power caliber. The most common game animal hunted in North America is a Whitetail which has a vital area @ 18''. All of my shots on deer in the last 15 years have been no farther than 75 yards. How accurate do you need them to be for hunting? In fact the NEF singles will probably out shoot any rifle that was "accurate" by standards of the not too distant past. I love the #1 as much as anybody but not everyone can afford $1K for a new gun.
Oh and by the way I love the pics. A NEF 30/06 with a hound. Working mans' gun, caliber and dog! Awesome.
Awesome pics, gotta love a single shot and mine is the Handi in 7mm-08 which is dead bang accurate.
Congratulations to your boy for doing it right. Nothing wroing with the old .30-06 and those antique Partitions on African game either!

I just got a synthetic-stocked Handi-Rifle in .243. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time. It shot very well with several powders and the 95-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Best load was what's become my standard .243 load over the years, 41 grains 4350 (either kind). It shot into under an inch.

My rifle, by the way, has a very good trigger out of the box, a crisp 3-1/2 pounds.
Now that I have my several grand custom done I am working on customizing my H&R Ultra Handi 308. My wife finds it less than funny that I have this custom rifle and still find time to pack my $250 H&R.

Has anyone taken the laminate stock of the Ultra and opened it up like a Russian Dragoon, or opened holes in the forearm to lighten the rifle? I am interested in such a modification so it is lighter and goes into my pack.

As much as my boy likes H&R/NEF rifles and shotguns, I'm sure he'd own a .375 H+H, if they made one. The only long gun he owns, that isn't a single shot, is a Marlin 39a, .22, that belonged to his grandfather.

maddog
you can do a lot of interesting things to customize a handi. Here is a couple of pics I found on another site.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
© 24hourcampfire