Home
Posted By: tex_n_cal really rare Rugers... - 06/01/09
Another thread jogged my memory about my college days. I worked part time at a gun shop in the early 80's. We had one Ruger #3 come through the shop, chambered in .375 H&H shocked. The guys all marveled at the rifle, which lasted a week or so and was then bought by a Ruger collector. I recall the shop manager offered him a free box of ammo if he'd shoot it, and the gentleman declined smile I never heard of another one in the caliber. Anyone else ever see one?

My brother owned a .300M #1V Liberty model, but later sold it during a bout of unemployment crazy It was a non-catalogued model, but I think I recall seeing one other.

Anyone else run into any other odd/Remarkable #1's or #3's

smile

Posted By: sgtsmmiii Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/01/09
I had one of the #1 7mm Mags with the heavy varmint barrel ( 1V ) in a 200th year. Took my first deer in Snowville, VA with it. Heavy sucker. Traded it for a Sako .222 mag varmint rifle ( which I still have ). Had a #1A in .223 that was "uncommon". Got talked out of it by a buddy with too much money. Miss them both.
I would offer the opinion that the No.3 was a .375 Winchester and not a .375 H&H, unless it was aftermarket rechambered. Also, the 1V in .300 WM was a cataloged offering from about 1972 for about 6 years. they are not often found today and could be considered rare, especially the Liberty marked one.
There are a lot of No.1's rarer than this one!
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/02/09
I'll bet a #3 in .375 HH would be a snotty little bastidge to shoot.
'Bout the most miserable rifle I ever shot was a #3 w/ hot loaded 45-70. Just a snotty little beast.
Posted By: Jericho Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/02/09
I have heard of #1s in .222 Remington and .308 Winchester
but have never encountered one. I did handle a #1V in .280
Remington caliber at a pawnshop in Ft Hood, TX back in the
90s, I didnt know it was a rarity until years later. I have
heard of #1s in .30-40 Krag but have never seen one.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/02/09
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
I would offer the opinion that the No.3 was a .375 Winchester and not a .375 H&H, unless it was aftermarket rechambered.

ENU,

That was exactly my inital thoughts on the subject. smile I have owned 2 or 3 No: 3's in .375 Win. and still have one. Also have 200th yr. No: 3 in .30-40 Krag. I've never seen a #1 in .30-40... But with Ruger, you never know... I've learned to never say never. smile

I have also handled a couple of No: 1's in .222 Rem. One was an AB and the other a "B". Likely both were pre 1970 models, thus they didn't have the Alphabetical nomenclature at that time.

I have also handled a No: 1-AB in .308 Win. Seller offered it to me for $450. I didn't have that much cash on me at the time. I called him about 3 days later and told him I'd take it for $450. He responded: "I told you $550!" I was so upset that I passed on the deal. frown About 3 mos. later the seller passed away. I never did find out what happened to all his guns. frown But I sure wish I had taken that .308 frown I don't think I looked at the serial # at the time. But I suspect that it was also pre-prefix. OH well! We all remember the good ones that got away. Of all the No: 1's I've looked at over the years, I have only seen less than a half-dozen of the pre-prefixed ones. Sadly, I never realized how collectable they were until fairly recently.

We live and learn, and I'm a slow learner.... frown

Grasshopper
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/02/09
The .375 definitely was stamped ".375 H&H", and definitely did come in with a new shipment. I was already into #1's by that point - Dad had 4 or 5 by then as well. The shop manager was also a #1 afficianado, and we all knew the difference between the 375 Win & .375 H&H

Sort of related to this thread smile In the early 1990's, in San Angelo, TX, I saw one #1B in .220 Swift that had the best wood I had ever seen on any #1, with both buttstock & forend full figured walnut. I was driving through at the time on the way to my deer lease in West Texas. I was tempted, but couldn't buy it. Saw it again two more times, finally stopped in with enough cash to buy it - and of course it had sold. How stable that wood was is anybody's guess, but it's still one I remember smile
Posted By: mcknight77 Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/02/09
I would offer the opinion that the No.3 was a .375 Winchester and not a .375 H&H, unless it was aftermarket rechambered. Also, the 1V in .300 WM was a cataloged offering from about 1972 for about 6 years. they are not often found today and could be considered rare, especially the Liberty marked one.
There are a lot of No.1's rarer than this one!

I'm with ENU, I've never seen, nor heard of a No.3 in .375H&H. It's not listed in Claytons' book or Chad Hiddleson's book either. If one was produced, it would be a find of significant porportions.

I've thinned out my No.1s and sold all my No.3s, including a NIB .30-40Krag, Liberty.

I'm down to just a few No.1s, but I still do have a 1V in .300WinMag, Liberty, along with a 1V in .25-06, Liberty. I also have three non-prefix rifles and a 1S in .300 H&H.

There is a considerable storehouse of knowledge on the Ruger-1 forum. You guys ought to stop by and visit with us.

Jim
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/02/09

In the mid 80's I purchased a well used # 3 in 30-06. Rumour has it that a very small number "non-cataloged" were made. No papers or other documention with the rifle. It appeared to have the same barrel configuration as #1b, no sights, 26" barrel, #3 lever and wood.

I was somewhat sceptical it was legit and sold it to a friend would it restocked with some custom #1 wood and then sold it as well.

Trying to track down the current owner to obtain the serial number to see if it would "letter" by Ruger.

For sometime now there has been a rechambered .375 Win to .375 H&H for sale here in Canada, Agree with all it would be handfull to shoot with factory loads. Probably why it's still for sale...

As well I'm fortune enough to own a # 1S in .38x55, if not rare certainly not very common.

Flyer
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/02/09
The only rare #3, I've ever personally seen, was an issue, non-cataloged .30-06, displayed in a Ruger collection at a gun show, along with it's factory certification letter, containing it's serial number, framed & displayed right next to it.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/03/09
El Numero Uno, I didn't start the thread planning to buy another #1, but visiting your site got me curious. One local shop has recently consigned an estate collection and one of the finds is a Non-prefix .222 in the BB (#1B) version. Good wood, crummy scope, mirror bore, nice shape, forend not tampered-with, decent price, so of course I dropped it into lay-a-way. S/N is in the 8XXX range. Yee Haw!

There is also a non-prefix .243 BB in the 4XXX range. The wood isn't as nice as my .222, but I bet it is a good shooter.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/03/09
I saw the 220swift mentioned above...were there very many of those? A friend bought two #1s from an estate the other was in 22-250 and I told him I believe the swift would be worth more.
tex n cal,
Thanks for the visit; I think you will be glad you put that .222 away. As I noted in the article, "Ruger No.1 Rarity Estimates", any non-prefix rifle is a rare rifle, as there were only about 7500 of them, serial #s up to 8437. Any rifle from that table with a production estimate of less than 1%( or less than 50) is very rare. Of course this information only relates to the non-prefix No.1's. There are some later prefixed rifles that were made in very small quantities. The 1B in .284 Winchester comes to mind, with only a handful made. The .264 Win. Mag. in 1B is another, with 5 or less, rifles. A 1A in 7x57 made in 1972 is another, with about 10 rifles; but, there was the non-cataloged run of about 300 in 1976. It has been in the Catalog since 1977 and is extremely popular. Just remember how many threads there have been about it on the Campfire!
Posted By: Blaserman Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/04/09
In the 90's I collected #1's and 77's . I had an ab in .308 and alot of liberty.s I had a .222 B 4 digit . The 77 I had most were Liberty's new in the box. I had the .350 mag and the .358 Rs. Also some what is called PL i had all caliber except 2 or 3.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/04/09
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
I saw the 220swift mentioned above...were there very many of those? A friend bought two #1s from an estate the other was in 22-250 and I told him I believe the swift would be worth more.
The Swift was cataloged up through 2007 and fairly easy to locate up through then in both the 1B and 1V versions. So yeah, quite a few. (Someone in the classifieds here has two 1Bs in .220 Swift for sale right now.)

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2933612/page/6#Post2933612

And here:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ruger-No1-V-Varmint-220-Swift.cfm?gun_id=100082689

And here:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130540609

And here:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128611273
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/04/09
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

Some folks have claimed that the .220 Swift is actually more accurate on average than the .22-250. That Swift in San Angelo - oh my it was pretty - like a bombshell actress it might have been a total flake, but it sure woulda been fun to get to know it. grin
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/04/09
Originally Posted by Blaserman
In the 90's I collected #1's and 77's . I had an ab in .308 and alot of liberty.s I had a .222 B 4 digit . The 77 I had most were Liberty's new in the box. I had the .350 mag and the .358 Rs. Also some what is called PL i had all caliber except 2 or 3.

My .300 win mag #1B Liberty model is my favorite rifle. It has nice wood, and is semi-collectable. Dad gave it to my Grandad's best friend, after Grandad passed away. Parker was the gent's first name, and even in his '80's he did enjoy shooting and handloading for it. His heirs gave it back to Dad after he passed, and I have it now. It has a looonng throat that will allow 180 Noslers to be seated out to 3.60 OAL, and will take heavier powder charges than some .300's. I have seen 180 gr velocities into the 3200's, and 3 shot, 1/2" groups with it, too. grin
Nice article, very interesting. I am not a No. 1 collector but have always had at least one No. 1 in my gun cabinet since acquiring a 1H in 375 H&H - with very nice wood - in 1976. Out of curiosity, how common were the 1H in 404 Jeffery with factory removable brake and the Liberty 45-70 No. 3?
Posted By: Bricktop Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/04/09
Originally Posted by mcknight77
I'm down to just a few No.1s, but I still do have a 1V in .300WinMag
Here's one on Gunsamerica (not mine) with a scope and what appears to be second variation checkering:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/942046758/Guns/Rifles/Ruger-Rifles/1-Type/Ruger_No_1_300_WIN_MAG.htm#
Posted By: 338rcm Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/04/09
at one time had a no. 1 in 357 mag marked CHP. should have kept it!
Posted By: mcknight77 Re: really rare Rugers... - 06/04/09
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Here's one on Gunsamerica (not mine) with a scope and what appears to be second variation checkering:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/942046758/Guns/Rifles/Ruger-Rifles/1-Type/Ruger_No_1_300_WIN_MAG.htm#

Not looking for another one.
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Not looking for another one.
Didn't ask if you were. It's merely part of the discussion.
There is a beautiful #1 on GB in 6.5 Rem mag for sale. only one I've ever seen.
Posted By: Mainframe Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/02/09
I saw a #1 (1B as I recall) at a show, chambered in 300 H&H. I did a double-take and re-read the scroll mark. It was the H&H, not .300 Winnie. I really would have loved that one, but could not spend the pesos on it.
Posted By: 1B Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/02/09
My only rare-ish factory #1s are a 7x57 AB and a 7mm-08 AH.

1B
Posted By: PJGunner Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/03/09
"Out of curiosity, how common were the 1H in 404 Jeffery with factory removable brake..."

I have one as well. I do wonder as to it's rarity.

"at one time had a no. 1 in 357 mag marked CHP. should have kept it!"

I have one of those too. How rare?

Paul B.
Paul B,
With regard to the CHP No.1A's in .357 Magnum, there were 1820 of them made(page 36, Clayton Book). In the scheme of rare Ruger No.1's, that is a fairly high production number.
On the 1B in .300 H&H, there were reportedly 15 of them, with several being sold very recently on GB. Story was there were left over barrels from the Boddington Kudu rifles that were not allowed to be wasted.
Now two of you guys having a .404 Jeff with a muzzle brake is pretty unusual! While I have never owned a .404, I would guestimate the production at 100 or less. I am not aware of any of the regular production rifles having the brake, so makes me wonder if these two were Factory test rifles? I could imagine this(the brake) being done to facilitate the numerous rounds being test fired. You would think they would have had a Lead Sled!!
Last point, when someone asks a question that is in the Book, the Clayton Ruger No.1 book, that is, makes me think that they don't have a copy. I have been selling these 2nd Printing Softcovers here on this Forum off and on for the last 2 years at $33.50 shipped. For all you new Ruger No.1 fanciers, you should get a copy of this book!! Check out my Website for info or send me a PM.
Now for a really rare Ruger No.1, how about a non-prefix .280 with a 22" A weight barrel, Alex Henry forearm and sights, the front sight grooved for a hood. There were 5 made! A .264 WM 1B is about as rare. A .284 Win in the 1B, there were 6-8 of them.
Thanks,
Posted By: Bricktop Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/04/09
Last point, when someone asks a question that is in the Book, the Clayton Ruger No.1 book, that is, makes me think that they don't have a copy. I have been selling these 2nd Printing Softcovers here on this Forum off and on for the last 2 years at $33.50 shipped. For all you new Ruger No.1 fanciers, you should get a copy of this book!! Check out my Website for info or send me a PM.
Very well worth it and he ships fast.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/04/09
I'm kind of curious now how rare one of my #1's might be. It's a 4-digit #1 in 30/06 with the creased pistol grip checkering in the back and wrap around checkering up front. What I think is really cool about it is the fact that the serial number is hand written inside the barrel channel of the forend wood. If memory serves, it's also hand written on the butt stock underneath the recoil pad. Plus a date of July something 1968 is stamped in the barrel channel of the forend. Perhaps the day it rolled of the line???
The stamped date is the date the stocks started into the finishing process(pages39-41). The serial #'s were written on the forearm and buttstock in order to keep them together, as they were individually hand fitted.
Now how rare is it? You did not tell us which configuration it is and there are 10 possibles here. Most likely it is a BB(later cataloged as a 1B). "BB" is etched on the right side of the forearm hanger(page 49). About as many BB's were made as the total of the other 9 configurations. Check out Rarity estimates on my Website and let us know which configuration you have.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/04/09
El Numero Uno, Is it mentioned anywhere how many 1S's were made in 218 Bee?And how rare they are?
Posted By: Bricktop Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/04/09
Originally Posted by sqweeler
El Numero Uno, Is it mentioned anywhere how many 1S's were made in 218 Bee?And how rare they are?
I think the .218 Bee is in the same class as the .357 Magnum in terms of rareness. For me personally, I see .218s more often than I see .357s.
Posted By: BlkHawk73 Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/04/09
According to the RENE, there was "reportedly 600 produced for distributor Sloan's South". Serial numbers range known: 132-92571 -> 133-97041
There is no doubt that the 1S in .218 Bee is not as rare as some believe. Maybe the entire production of 600 for Sloan's is the extent of production, but I tend to believe there were more than that made over a several year period. My own 1S Bee is in the 133-59XXX range. They are known with both red and black pads.
I feel it is a matter of demand and interest for this caliber/configuration that makes them relatively scarce, rather than number produced.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/05/09
Mine is a red pad 132-941xx.When one come's up for sale they alway's say how rare they are,but I remember they were cataloged for quite a few years.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: really rare Rugers... - 07/07/09
Hey Numero Uno...you guessed it. My #1 (which I call a #1 S26M) does have the BB etched in the hanger. I didn't even know that was there. All that cool stuff aside, what really gets me about the piece is that it's the tightest #1 I've ever seen - no jiggles or rattles anywhere. When that lever shuts, it shuts tight, smooth and silent. Second, it will shoot 150s, 165s, 180s and 200gr bullets all in very acceptable hunting groups. And I have particular recipies with 180's that are better than acceptable, and a couple 165gr loads that are just plain great. Thanks for the insight!
Posted By: oldgunsmith Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/10/09
since ya'll are interested in rare #1's, if you want to listen, I'll tell you a little story-one of the first things I found out about #1's was that I could not buy an action from Ruger, they only sold them as barrelled actions-about five years later I made a garage sale, some old single-shot nuts son, was selling off his collection-I bought seven rifles and 5 single shot actions that day for $700.00!! One of the actions was a case hardened #1 new in the box-in researching it I found out that Bill Ruger was president of the S S Rifle Assoc. for a few years-during this time he put out 100 non-barreled single shot actions first come first served, in hopes the members would make them into schutzen rifles-on the bottom of the action it was marked ASSA in big letters 1 of 100- the number of this action was 96-how rare is that?????and how much is it worth?? the action was 50.00!
Posted By: kcTbear Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/10/09
Cool story. Would love to see a photo!
Posted By: 1B Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/10/09
Oldgunsmith,

I talked with a guy who inheritted a pile of Rugers from his Dad who was both a FOB --friend of Old Bill Ruger-- and a regional distributor for years. He has a number of custom Schutzen rifles based on #1 actions. Could well be lots of other true rarities there too.

1B
There were 100 of the ASSRA "Actions Only" made up, so that tells you how rare they are. I was not aware that the ASSRA actions were casehardened; I thought they may have been "in the white", but, I do not recall ever seeing one. They were only offered to ASSRA members, so many probably got made up into rifles. Not many show up still in the original box and not used. What were some of the other early No.1 rifles?
Actions Only were available, but not to the Public in a general way.
I just came across some paperwork that showed No.1 serial# 1780 as an "action only" being shipped by Ruger to Pete Brown(Sports Afield) in 1970. Wonder what ever happened to it?? Was it made up into a rifle or destroyed in testing?? I bought the Pete Brown Ruger Collection in 1991; it was not there at that time.
Posted By: oldgunsmith Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/10/09
re:Numero Uno
I was a gunsimth at the time I picked this 1 of 100 up, and I tried through Brownell's and Ruger to buy a #1 unbarreled action ,it was a no-go- the 1 of 100 actions came in the white, I believe the old boy had it case hardened and was probably in the process of buying wood for it, or just hadn't sent it off yet for barreling-I did not know that it was a 1 of 100 when I bought it, it was one of those things where you don't want to look at something too close for fear the price will go up-on the way home with the rifles and actions, my daughter opened the box and told me "Daddy, this has 1 of 100 on it, what does that mean?" I almost got ass-ended in traffic stopping to look at it!!!-I also got about 50 books at the same garage sale and later found that they were all autographed by the author!-these are some of the things that divorce tends to cost you-oh Hell easy come, easy go- my new wife has helped me rebuild my collection, but some things you just don't get over-gotta go now,plowing and planting oats for the deer-we have the honor of getting to have the disabled vets hunt on our place in the Hill Country and it is a great blessing to see a vet kill his first deer ever with a bow out of a stand you built just for him!! from his wheelchair at that- it gives you a rush like nothing else in this world-I hope many more landowners will get involved for these boys that gave up their arms,legs,sight, etc. for all of us, it will be the most rewarding thing they have ever done! You don't have to have a tremendous ranch, just enough land for them to hunt on, and there is no real expense-try it you'll LOVE it!!-as for the Ruger's, I don't collect them, I just love them-the one I have now is quite the looker-where is cowhouse creek? we live on the south banks of the Llano river are we neighbors?
Posted By: Tamale Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/12/09
McKnight77, Where is the Ruger-1 forum? I did a web search and found several possibilities. Sounds like it would be interesting. Is the one your talking about just for No.1's?
cessna152,
Here it is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RUGER-1/
There is hardly any question that has an answer or opinion that someone in this group can't respond to!!
Oldgunsmith,

Glad you are able to donate your time to the wounded vets.

Doc
Posted By: cadron-creek Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/14/09
i have a rug no1 in 250 savage i have never seen or herd of anymore------someone tell me about this---------it is a one-hole shooter----thanks MOOSE*******
Posted By: oldgunsmith Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/14/09
Doc,
It's not so much like we feel like we owe it to them, it's just so much fun and so rewarding. We have a son who is handicapped, so this puts the guys at ease pretty quickly, and he relates to them as well. It's a good way to reach out. Wish every hunter would give it a whirl, it makes you feel young again. Oh, by the way, one of my favorite dogs is the Chesapeake, it's just too hot here in Texas to keep one.
cadron-creek,
I have never heard of one either, and I thought I had heard of just about everything. There is supposed to be the long awaited(2years) Lipsey's K1A in .250 Savage, but it has not been made yet.
I "never say never" when discussing something Ruger made, however it is more likely a custom barrel job.
Only way to know if it was made that way from the Factory is call Records; 603-865-2424. Let us know what you find out.
Or, if you would rather, PM me your serial# and I will call for you and let you know.
If it is a Factory produced .250 Savage, it is an extremely rare No.1; most likely made up for a friend of Mr. Ruger. That is the only way these "one of a kind" rifles were made.
Just like the 1A .32 S&W Long for General Vernon Megee.
Posted By: 1B Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/16/09
El Numero Uno,

Do you know about any compilation of informal records on the so-called 'lunch bucket' rifles assmbled in unusual calibers and profiles by guys in the plant as gifts or for their own use? I keep hearing bits and pieces about such "one-ofs" that trace way back to Pine Tree Castings too.

My custom 7mm BR supposedly was one such rifle. Ruger say the rifle started out as .22 Hornet #3. It is a #1A style rifle with a straight --english-style -- butt section and a slight schnable. I got it indirectly from third party who got it from a FOB.

Regards,
1B

I was a little too specific in my previous response about "one of a kind" No.1 rifles made up for friends of Mr. Ruger. I did not mean to imply that WBR was the only one who could do this.
Two of the more special rifles in my collection are the one that Lenard Brownell made up for himself and one he made up for a friend of his in Wyoming. He also made a "one of a kind" for Stan Terhune of Pine Tree Castings. Then there are "lunch box specials" made up by employees, which to me are very interesting, but lack legitimacy. The only thing else I can add is that documented provenance is required for the rifle to have the value it deserves.
I know of no informal records on this, unless Carl Ross has recorded and documented all those he has heard of and confirmed.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/18/09
A couple years ago I "came by" a 7 Rem Mag barrel for a No.1 that is hexagon .Mr. Ruger had the custom shop build the rifle for one of his friends .Then the friend decided it needed to be in a larger caliber and brought it to my 'smith .He had never even fired it .

The barrel was removed and sent to Montana where they used it as a pattern to make a hexagon barrel in 300 win . My 'smith sold the barrel to me , knowing I like No Ones to shoot , not collect .

I bought a "donor" rifle in 270 wby intending to put the purty barrel on it . Dies came with the rifle and ---------- of course - like all intended donors - the SOB shot way to good to knock in the head .

So-------- I still have the purty barrel .Is a hex barreled No.1 rare ?
If your octagon barrel for a No.1 has the Ruger Factory rollmark on it, even the later "Warning..." one it is RARE!!!!
If it does have this marking, please bring it by the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show next weekend and let me look at it.'If it is not marked, then you need a letter from the friend of Bill Ruger for it to have any legitimacy.
That is just my opinion.
I owned a lot of rare caliber No.1 early on and when they first came out, only thing is they were not rare then and I sold most of them before they became collectors...As best I recall I have owned No. 1s in 222, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, 7x57, 30-40 Krag and I Imp that one!, I owned a few more but don't think they were collectable. 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 270, and .338 over a span of many years. I also had a custom 6x45 at one time and a 470 N.E. for about a week.

I don't shoot SS anymore but I still have a soft spot in my heart for them..They are beautiful rifles.
Posted By: Oldtrader3 Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/21/09
I owned an early issue Ruger Number One, Serial Number: 383, Cal: .308 Winchester, 22 inch light sporter barrel. The rifle was purchased used in 1969.
Some day I would LOVE to have a #3 in 375 win.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/29/09
I had forgotten I made this post . The barrel is still at my 'smiths' place . I'll pick it up next time I'm thru there .

If it has the roll mark , are you interested in it ?

PM me if you are .
Yes(on the octagon barrel, with Factory markings); your profile is not accepting PM's.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: really rare Rugers... - 09/29/09
Hmmmmmm I don't know why it's not . I'm going to try and PM you . I went to your website but didn't see how to send you an e mail .

I fixed the PM deal .
Posted By: 333_okh Re: really rare Rugers... - 10/28/09
I had a 357 MAX not MAG with a letter from Ruger that it was a special order. The person who ordered it never came back to buy it so I paid what the gunstore had into the deal. I remember it was cheaper than if I wanted the 7X57 #1 they had next to it, but cannot remember the price.

The gun would not group with anything other than 200 grain FMJ for silh shooting. It also would not eject or extract rounds all of the way out. It was obvious that Ruger used a 357 mag to make this rifle.

Sold it to a hog hunter for his son. He was a closet gunsmith as well.

Posted By: kcTbear Re: really rare Rugers... - 10/28/09
Interesting this came back to the top.
At the gun show this weekend a fella was selling two #1s in 7mmRM. Both were 4 digit serial numbers (#1000 series). The first one was average wood with a factory 22" barrel, $875! looked like a bruiser. For an extra $300 you could have the original rings.
The other was a standard 26" barrel, beautiful wood, $1025.
Should have got his phone# for anyone interested. Drats.
Posted By: 65BR Re: really rare Rugers... - 10/29/09
El_Numero_Uno,

About in 95-96, I seen a No. 3 in 44 mag, looked like an aftermarket bbl, I was interested, but passed, $375 back then, it was a short handy carbine and not sure if it was factory as I don't recall seeing any markings. That was at Market Hall.

Perhaps you were there if in the DFW area?
65BR
There were No.3's Factory chambered in the .44 Mag; the scarcest of the cataloged calibers! I was living in the DFW area back them, but do not recall it. No. 3's do not get much of my attention, unless they are just too cheap to pass up.
ENU
© 24hourcampfire