Home
Posted By: RJM ..no one like #1s in stainless? - 02/07/11
Looks like the era of the stainless Ruger #1 is about to close. They have now been removed from the Ruger website and the new distributor catalog I got a few days ago lists the last two stainless guns, #1S in .45-70 and .375 Ruger as closeouts...

I've had several #1s but my favorite two, and the only two I have left, are the #1H in .405 Winchester and a #1A in 7.62x39...both are stainless.

Kinda makes me wish I had bought that 1#A stainless .257 Robers I saw last month for $795.00...

Anyone else miss the stainless #1s?

Bob
I have long wanted a #1 in 300win mag, but saving up for one was out of my reach... especially after we had kids. I figured it was all just a pipe dream and made myself be happy with the rifle i already had. Then by shear luck a guy with a stainless #1 300 win mag was looking for 7600 35 Whelen, which I happened to have. We worked out a trade deal, and I now have my dream rifle.

I topped it with a silver Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 and killed 2 deer the following day. It is on my "will never be sold" list and will be handed down to my grandson one day.
Originally Posted by RJM
Looks like the era of the stainless Ruger #1 is about to close. They have now been removed from the Ruger website and the new distributor catalog I got a few days ago lists the last two stainless guns, #1S in .45-70 and .375 Ruger as closeouts...

I've had several #1s but my favorite two, and the only two I have left, are the #1H in .405 Winchester and a #1A in 7.62x39...both are stainless.

Kinda makes me wish I had bought that 1#A stainless .257 Robers I saw last month for $795.00...

Anyone else miss the stainless #1s?

Bob

Bob,

It is with mixed feelings that I read the above... frown Personally, I never really lusted after a SS #1, That said, however, I have 3 - a .405 Win, a 6.5x55, and .35 Whelen.

Kind of makes me wonder what the status of the promised K1-A in .250 Sav. is. It may never happen now. Or better yet, it may come in Blue/Walnut. smile

All in all, tho' I really hate to see the trimming of the product line. I like to see options, even if they are options that I don't care for. I fear now that the K1-A in 7.62x39 may become so pricey, that I may never get one. frown

GH
Dunno, but for some reason the #1 doesn't look right in SS... wood and blued it looks just right...
I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of stainless rifles of any type, especially #1's. My only #1 is blue and walnut. I figure if you want stainless you might as well get an Encore (which I've done). They're butt-ugly already (but they work.)
I have mixed feelings about the stainless No. 1's. I do like them, but I also believe the standard blued version is even better. My sons prefer the stainless and that is what they want and I happily live and hunt with that...

I feel bad about the disappearing No. 1 as a product line from Ruger. They are great rifles, but I guess not enough of us feel that way.
I'd take a stainless 1A 303 brit with black synthetic stocks.
I like the SS/Walnut #1's but have not purchased one...., but it seems to me watching prices, the SS/walnuts go faster and for more money than their Blued/Walnut counterparts. .i.e GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc.
Walnut and ss don't work imho, especially in the single shot setup.
I owned a SS and Lam. This combo that Ruger has recently offered across several calibers and models seems a little wacky. The SS metal is nice, so you don't have to worry about the rust factor, but the Laminate stock, usually thought of to keep a bolt action rifle from swelling walnut shifting bullet impact, just doesn't go with a "classy, traditional rifle".

The Lipsey Walnut/SS combos, always 250 at a batch, I have owned the 7.62x39, 257 Roberts, and 6.5 Swede are sweet rifles. If Ruger offered these at reasonable prices, should not cost more than a blue/walnut would sell.

To me, the same guy who likes SS/Laminate, probably likes bolt guns with synthetic stocks.

Just my opinion.

Mitch
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
I owned a SS and Lam. This combo that Ruger has recently offered across several calibers and models seems a little wacky. The SS metal is nice, so you don't have to worry about the rust factor, but the Laminate stock, usually thought of to keep a bolt action rifle from swelling walnut shifting bullet impact, just doesn't go with a "classy, traditional rifle".

The Lipsey Walnut/SS combos, always 250 at a batch, I have owned the 7.62x39, 257 Roberts, and 6.5 Swede are sweet rifles. If Ruger offered these at reasonable prices, should not cost more than a blue/walnut would sell.

To me, the same guy who likes SS/Laminate, probably likes bolt guns with synthetic stocks.

Just my opinion.

Mitch

Dead wrong there, buddy! I would pick a blue/walnut No.1 any day BUT I got a screaming deal on my SS/Lam .375 Holly and I like its contrast. It just looks good to me--if not as 'pretty' or 'right' as a blue/walnut. I also have seen a couple of those SS/Walnut 6.5's and I could be talked into one of those very easily (and just might someday!).

Even though I like my SS/lam Holly I HATE synthetic/fiberglass/plastic stocks on rilfes. I see all these rifles with their painted camo or McSwirly stocks and I fight a gag reflex but to each his own. Obviously, a lot of guys dig it.
I truly wish I had bought one of the SS/Laminated 1-B's in 7mm STW before they disappeared. I kept putting it off just because nowhere I hunt these days justified the reach of the STW. Still, wish I'd bought one. If a decent used one comes along when I've got some mad money, I won't hestitate.
My thoughts on a stainless steel #1 is this. I really like the Ruger Number 1 for a hunting rifle for a lot of different reasons.I really see a need for at least one stainless steel hunting rifle in the group of rifles I hunt with.So whats is there not to like? The only down side IMO is they are not light. I'm 6'3" and 250lb's so whats another 2-3 lb's ? I have one stainless steel number 1 in 25/06 and I shoot it well. When the weathers bad the stainless steel number 1 comes out.
Posted By: 1B Re: ..no one like #1s in stainless? - 02/08/11
Overtime, I have come to a point where I acquired so many #1s that most of the SS models I had were taking up safe space meant for for the wood and blue #1s which I prefer.

I sold off almost all of the SS models except for two SS/laminates -- a 7mm 08 B and a .375 H&H. They both shot exceptionally well out of the box with only minimal fiddling -- just trigger work and a real recoil pad for the H&H -- using almost anything I fed them.

The sporting weight barreled K1As I had -- .35 Welen and 257 Roberts -- gave me run of the mill results and I did not want to invest more in them for accurizing. I never got a chance to fire the STW. The K1As both had nice wood though.

1B

I have 2 Ruger #1's. Both are blue/wood, very nice wood. I have several SS/Syn bolts for bad weather. I'm sorry, but I have never considered a #1 in SS.
I think a No.1 with a matte stainless and Walnut would look sweet!!!
How about this one?

7x57 RSI stainless

Posted By: 1B Re: ..no one like #1s in stainless? - 02/09/11
Not a single shot.

1B
But damn nice is all.
When they are gone alot of people will want one.
Aesthetically[sp], I like the wood/blue much better, on the Ruger no. 1s. havingsaid that, if I hunted Alaska, or other wet weather climes, I'd have a stainless. Prolly in a 45-70! grin

maddog
too shiny for me....
I have had a love/hate relationship with the stainless Number Ones since they came out. I have had 4 of the STW's and a couple of others.

I hate them because I think number Ones should be blued/walnut but..........
I love them because I can use them in crappy weather. 9 times out of 10 I grab my Encore on a bad day and use it.

Why not use a Number One that I am used to that is built for the elements??? I guess I need to go rifle shopping again..... Oh well.

I do like the Lipsey's rifles also but they 1/2 defeat the purpose. Now if they did like a G3 or Serengeti style stock with the carbon insert in the middle and nice wood on the outside

Dave
I one SS and one blue. The blue is prettier, but the SS gets to go out in play in bad weather and a lot of other times when the chance of a ding or scratch is high. They serve their purpose well. Just not as pretty. I will old on to both of mine. Maybe they will continue them as special runs in the future.
Stainless and wood would be okay, but the laminates - no, I will pass.
I could see myself making room in the safe for a stainless/ walnut 1B chambered in the .257-.277 range.
I like the older Ruger's with the "blondish" Stocks.

[Linked Image]

Major problem with my 7.62x39 is the stock....how am I going to take this out in "bad weather".....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had a .35 Whelen just like it with s nice wood... It was unfired so I sold it.

This is the .405...it is a great shooter....scope is a 1.5-6 Tasco Titan.....

[Linked Image]

I don't know why we all worry so much about what a hunting rifle looks like....maybe it is the resale value?? Maybe we just don't like rust and dings on pretty things??

As to the .35 Whelen...Ruger is missing the boat not chambering that round in a #1A...I for one don't like hauling around a long B for woods hunting...the A is just perfect...

Well...just looked over at GB...they did make a limited run of .35s in blue also...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215257564

Bob
Posted By: 1B Re: ..no one like #1s in stainless? - 02/12/11
RJM,

They ony make the .35 Whelen in 1A! The one you mentioned at GB is a 1A.

IMO it should have built on a 1 S platform with a 26" barrel.

1B
A #1-S would have been a nice platform for the .35 Whelen but I just like "short" guns... Didn't Ruger chamber the B for .35 Whelen just a few years ago??? I thought it was a standard chambering for several years...

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
Major problem with my 7.62x39 is the stock....how am I going to take this out in "bad weather".....

Hi RJM,
I see and empathize with your dilemma regarding the 7.62x39. I believe a solution might be at hand. Just sell it and reinvest the $�s into something more ominous-weather friendly. Of course due to the limitations of your gun, you may have to be prepared to discount it substantially. I just happen to know a sucker that I�d be happy to broker this off to, FEE FREE!
Dang near bought a Lott for 700 bucks out the door @ a local SG's store, just couldnt warm up to that green laminate,
I tried hard to the tune of callin Ruger, but they wouldnt sell me a set of walnut stocks for it.

Gunner
I sure wish they would make a 45-70 with a half round half octagon barrel with tang sight and 28 inch barrel.
© 24hourcampfire