Home
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Contender question. - 02/24/11
Have any of you removed or replaced the muzzle tamer brake on your Contender barrels?
I have two barrels with the muzzle tamer brakes. I like the reduction of recoil and muzzle jump, but all the blast/concussion seems to be directed right back in my face(especially on my 7-30Waters). I have shot a number of other stlyes of brake without this problem. I am interested in changing the muzzle tamer out for another type of brake if possible.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Contender question. - 02/24/11
Tom the Muzzle brake I had on my T/C was unremovable.

It was a 45/70 factory bbl at 12"

is yours threaded?
Posted By: Huntz Re: Contender question. - 02/24/11
I never have seen the need for a brake on a Contender.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Contender question. - 02/24/11
I, too, have never seen one that is removable. I expect a qualified machinist could cut it off and thread the muzzle for and after market brake, but I wouldn't do it... But it's your gun... blush

GH
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Contender question. - 02/25/11
I thought I had seen here that the "muzzle tamer" brake was removeable, like loc-tited on but I could be mistaken.
I was just figuring that could removed that I would at least swap out the brake for one that wasn't so dang concussive.

I don't particularly feel like I need a brake on my guns, but with them I have been able to watch my hits at long distance which I like.
Posted By: HOGGHEAD Re: Contender question. - 02/25/11
The one on my 45-70 is not removable. If it was removable then the carbine barrel would be too short to qualify for a rifle barrel. Or at least my 45-70 would be illegal. Not sure about all of them. But my 45-70 barrel is 16-1/2" so as long as the brake is not removable the length qualifies as a rifle barrel. Tom.
Posted By: skb2706 Re: Contender question. - 02/28/11
I believe they are silver brazed on and can be removed be this requires some degree of skills in such tasks.
© 24hourcampfire