Home
I'm new to the Ruger # 1 arena. I just bought a Ruger 1A in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm having to crane forward a lot with Leupold 1 x 4 I mounted on the rifle. Do I need to invest in a set of Leupold extended rings? I have not tried a different scope yet.

Thanks,
Reed LeCheminant
Welcome aboard Reed.

It sounds like you have a nice rifle. I think the 6.5s are very versatile. Please let us know how it shoots.

Personally, I don't like the extended rings. I have a set but don't use them, there are others that do. You'll have to decide that one.
Try a Leupold VX Ii 2x7 or a 6X 42. They should give plenty of room for backward placement of the scope. Many scopes won't including lots of Leuopolds. I have the same problem and the majority of my 36 #1s wear those scopes.

1B
I use an extended rear, standard front, on two of my #1As, both with older Leupold M8 4x28 scopes for the same reason you're writing here. Others have no trouble, but I've found I crawl stocks less than I used to. The extended ring was perfect, except for adding a couple of ounces to the weight of the gun.
Congrats on a great purchase. I have NO problem with the extended rings except they are medium height. If I were using a scope with a 40mm(+) objective I'd use them. I prefer the 36mm objective and use a Leupold 6x36 for weight and the smaller profile with low rings. This works well for me.

[Linked Image]

Leupold 3x, Leupold ultra lows I believe?

[Linked Image]

Same rifle, same rings, Leupold 3-9x40. Just cleared the sight mounted as such. Never did shoot it with this configuration, but didn't care for it.

[Linked Image]

Oh, like how it's set-up now by the way with the 3x
Burris rings with 1-4 Leupold scope. Works well.

[Linked Image]
This #1B .300 is wearing a Vari-X III 3.5x10, and one extended ring. Personally I like them:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a standard Ruger #1 7mmRM with Leupold vari-xxx-1.75x6 x32 scope, after market elevation turret, Ruger standard 1" rings, and a 34mm DVORAK INSTRUMENTS soft eye scope lens shade.
It is a killing machine out to 500 yards.

Ruger rings measure
Low - .325�. Medium (Med.) - .435�. High - .565�. Extra-High (X-High) -

You can see that even with the small 32mm scope objective pulled back over the quarter rib, I did not have to use medium rings, but I did.

I like my scopes set back a bit and don't like to "stock crawl" for a full FOV. To me, the Ruger #1 isn't the easiest rifle to to mount shorter scopes. I use an offset rear ring and longer scopes.
I just put my Leupold 6x36 on the rifle. It's acceptable. I have to crane just a bit which is fine for me. I'm hoping to take her out tomorrow and shoot it again. I'll post results on how she shoots. Thanks for all the suggestions.
CAl74,

Your two pictures solidly demonstrate the YMMV factor. They both might work for you, but I could never use the 3-9 variable in the lower picture w/o severe stock creep to acquire a complete sight picture.

ClarkM,

The picture with the deer seems to show an extension mounted at the end of the ocular bell. What is it?

Trombaguy,

What height rings are you using with the the 6x36? The 6x36s I have seem to give adequate rearward spacing in medium or low rings on my #1s. The 6x42s require medium rings.
1B
Long tube scopes make life easier on #1s.
Never had an issue with a Leupold on a #1. Never had the need for extended rings either. Might be how they fit me, don't know. I do have a Leupold 3x9 on my 45-70 and it gives me full FOV mounted all the way forward which is quite nice with heavy loads........
Originally Posted by goodiewrench

+1 on longer tube scopes for the #1. Bushnell 4200 scopes are longer and are good quality. To me, this is one of the most difficult rifles to scope, always a challenge for me to get a good FOV without crawling the stock, which I hate.

Here is a photo of my #1 in .220 Swift with a Bushnell Elite 4200, 6-24x40 with offset rear ring.

DF

[Linked Image]
I almost bought a #1B in a swift. Opted for an 25-06. I wish I bought the swift.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by goodiewrench

+1 on longer tube scopes for the #1. Bushnell 4200 scopes are longer and are good quality. To me, this is one of the most difficult rifles to scope, always a challenge for me to get a good FOV without crawling the stock, which I hate.

Here is a photo of my #1 in .220 Swift with a Bushnell Elite 4200, 6-24x40 with offset rear ring.

DF

[Linked Image]

25-06 is a good caliber. This Swift will shoot half inch without a problem. It has a Kepplinger single set trigger which is nice, much better than the factory trigger. I haven't shot it that much; too many other projects. I also free floated and glassed the forearm, using a set screw on the hanger.

Maybe it's time will come...

DF

Originally Posted by 1B

ClarkM,

The picture with the deer seems to show an extension mounted at the end of the ocular bell. What is it?

Trombaguy,

What height rings are you using with the the 6x36? The 6x36s I have seem to give adequate rearward spacing in medium or low rings on my #1s. The 6x42s require medium rings.
1B

[Linked Image]

: Dvorak Instruments Scope Lens Shade

http://www.brownells.com/1/3/ocular-ring-dia

I am using medium rings, although low would fit.
Just because I had medium Ruger rings lying around.
Carkm,

Neat. I had no idea. How effetive is it?

1B
My hunting technique is very limited.
Find the herd. They will run away at 1200 yards if I act suspicious.
Come back the next day way before dawn and get 400 yards away while in the dark. They can't me and I can't see them.
But with binoculars I can see them, and with the scope I can see them.
I lie down with the bi-pod, and range them. I adjust the scope elevation turret.
I shoot at the front 1/3 of the best looking broadside animal.

For that, the lens shade works great.

For jump shooting, I would take it off.
[Linked Image]

This is my 30/06 with a 4-12x Refield on it, works good, no creeping up the stock, no extras to buy and there's even room to bring it back a little more.

Tom
Ohlsen,

Glad it works for you.

I am a no-necker and that scope in that position, for me, would require an implant from a giraffe neck to avopid creeping the stock. For me, the rear edge of the ocular bell on most scopes has to be right over the safety -- at least an inch and half further back-- or it's a no-go. The front bell housing looks like it would be right up against the quarter rib in that configuration.

1B

All I know is that with summer type clothes I can bring it up and I can see thru the scope set at 12x. A hunting jacket might change things a little, but I can still move the scope back some more.

Tom

You must really have a short neck, no pun intended.
I just bought a Burris fullfeild II in a straight 6X to put on my Ruger No.1 6.5x55. This scope has the most eye relief I have ever seen on a scope and it's made here in the USA. You can't go wrong for the price.
I find it interesting that on many bolt action rifles I have to try to make sure I can mount the scope far enough forward for comfortable shooting. With the Number One, I find myself trying to mount it as far back as possible - exactly the opposite.

The Number One can be a bit trying to scope well, but the rifle is worth the effort.
That looks about perfect for me. I like to add the offset ring on the rear mounting spot.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

This is a standard Ruger #1 7mmRM with Leupold vari-xxx-1.75x6 x32 scope, after market elevation turret, Ruger standard 1" rings

You can see that even with the small 32mm scope objective pulled back over the quarter rib, I did not have to use medium rings, but I did.

Were you working with an iron sighted model you might have to contend with the rear sight if you used low rings. I have a 32mm (of a different make/model) on mine in low, but I have the bell slope forward of where you have it positioned. It rubs the rear sight when pulled back.
© 24hourcampfire