Home
Posted By: Swampman700 Stainless #1 - 04/20/12
Here's my new .45-70.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rj308 Re: Stainless #1 - 04/20/12
Swampman, That,s a very nice rifle. I had one exactly like it and foolishly sold it. I equipped it with an NECG receiver peep sight and the very first load I shot through it, got me 1.25" groups. My eyes were a decade younger which helped. I vaguely remember the load, but I believe I used 300 grain sierra soft points with H322 powder. It was not too bad on the shoulder and I hate to think of all of the hogs and deer I could have killed with that gun and load. Oh well, I have been killing them with other guns. Don't let yours get away like I did mine.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Stainless #1 - 04/20/12
I love this rifle and my #3 as well. They are my favorites.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: Stainless #1 - 04/21/12
Cool looking rig. did you doctor up the wood a little?
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Stainless #1 - 04/21/12
That the way it came. I mounted a Nikon 2-7X32 on it this morning in Ruger 3B (low) rings. I really like it.
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Stainless #1 - 04/21/12
Beauty!!
The medium sporters are my favorites.
Love that caliber also.
SS/laminate. All weather cool.
Posted By: Patrick_James Re: Stainless #1 - 04/22/12
I really like Ruger Stainless steel. I have a #1 S/S 25/06 thats a real shooter.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Stainless #1 - 04/22/12
I really like the non-checkered stock. It feels great in your hands.
Here's what I've got going on right now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Swampie, I have noticed you are a lover of all things 45-70. What's the attraction?
I've loved the cartridge since the 1970s. It's so easy to reload and cast for. I read an Elmer Keith book when I was younger and I guess it had some affect on my young mind. Also the history of the cartidge is huge. Even the guns that it's normally chambered in are very cool. Slinging a bus sized chunk of lead down range makes me grin everytime I pull the trigger.
Great looking rifle!
Agree. I've always liked the .45/70 Rugers, either in stainless/laminate or in blue/walnut.

Great rifle. Great cartridge.
I just picked up one of these as well in .204 Ruger. I tried to price check it with an FFL but he told me they stopped making these in stainless. Is that gun used or did you buy it new? The same guy i got mine from has one exactly like it in 22-250 I am thinking about buying that one as well, both are unfired.
© 24hourcampfire