Home
Finally got to shoot my new to me Ruger No1 6.5x55 Swede at the range yesterday. Had some decent results from the 130gr bullets, and 43 grains of H4350. I guarantee you, the floaters were due to my shooting inabilities, than the it was the rifles. It has a 2.5x8x36 VX3, and to be honest, it's not that easy for this old guy to hold the cross hairs moa with an 8x scope....... :-)

I may play a lil more with seating depth, as these were set .150" off the rifling. May try to get em a bit closer. But, even at that, these loads will kill critters all day long.

100yd groups, very light breeze.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Oh yeah, second target is 130gr Accubonds. 43gr of H4350.
Really nice!!!! I love #1's
Very nice rig for sure. Keep up the loading.
If you are going to play with anymore powders,try RL22 with 140 grain bullets.It could make you want to sell your .270....
OH,if you can find any Lapua brass,it is the stuff.
Nice shooting and a great piece of wood that rig!
Agreed, I use the RL22 with 140 grain bullets in my Stainless Swede #1 and get sub MOA results. I did fre-float the fore end. I found that Varget works equally well with 120's (Barnes BTSX).
My No. 1 Swede is almost identical...except it has your scope's predecessor--a VX-III model.

Groups look about identical too!
Very nice, those little Swedes are fun to shoot, cant wait to try mine out this fall too. grin

Gunner
Nice!
looks like you won the wood lotto too!!
She's a keeper!
Very impressive! I love owning and shooting Ruger #1's.

Looks like pretty wood.
congrats, looks like it should be a nice all-around hunting rifle.
I was planning to pick up some RL-22 for the 140 gr loads. Just din't have any in my powder cabinet.

I had mixed results with the H4350. Shot OK, but not what I was expecting. maybe 1.2" groups at best. I know, given the results with the 130's this rifle is capable of much better.

Yes, I lucked out on the wood on this rifle, it was on GB for a couple of days, I was not in the market for one at the time, but dang, that wood, in a 6.5x55 No1... I could not let her go... :-)
Very nice rifle Joe, enjoy!
The Ruger #1 is one of my favorite rifles and the 6.5 Swede is one of my favorite calibers. I would love to find a SS version.
Originally Posted by imr4350
I would love to find a SS version.

I handled one of the stainless Swedes when they came out. I didn't have the scratch at the time and I have kicked myself ever since for not putting it on layaway that night.
I just bought a 6.5x55 from a fellow member. I hope I can get groups like those pictured.
Originally Posted by CallaoJoe
Finally got to shoot my new to me Ruger No1 6.5x55 Swede at the range yesterday. Had some decent results from the 130gr bullets, and 43 grains of H4350. I guarantee you, the floaters were due to my shooting inabilities, than the it was the rifles. It has a 2.5x8x36 VX3, and to be honest, it's not that easy for this old guy to hold the cross hairs moa with an 8x scope....... :-)

I may play a lil more with seating depth, as these were set .150" off the rifling. May try to get em a bit closer. But, even at that, these loads will kill critters all day long.

100yd groups, very light breeze.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Joe,

Do you have to stock crawl with the scope mount?

I like #1's, but have trouble getting the scope positioned where I like it. I see your's is pulled all the way back. I'd probably want to pull it an inch further back, and with those bases, there's no way. With my .220S, I used a long scope and off set rings.

I know Leupolds have longer eye relief than most, but it's still a pain in the azz, IMHO.

DF

[Linked Image]
even with a lowly Ruger 77 Mk 2 in a 6.5 x 55, mine will shoot just about anything you feed it likes it thinks it is a varmint rifle... from fast loads with heavy bullets down to slower loads with bullets under 100 grains.. at 30/30 speeds or less...

definitely a non finicky cartridge...

Dirt Farmer,
dand, that is a long scope you got pictured on yours!
Originally Posted by Seafire

Dirt Farmer,

dang, that is a long scope you got pictured on yours!

Yeah, it's pretty long for sure. It's a Bushnell 4200 Elite, 6-24x40 A/O. It's a really good glass, great for the .220 Swift and seems to fit the #1 action very well. I don't like to stock crawl and prefer my scopes set up for heads up positioning.

I think high end Elite scopes are sleepers, lots of performance for the buck.

DF
shhhh smile
I don't have to "crawl" the stock so bad, that it really bothers me that much, just a lil bit, and I am ok with it. I may not be as finicky towards that as some guys though.... Pretty happy with it where it is. I could maybe use another 1" back, but I doubt I do anything about it. And, it's only at 7or8 power that I have to do that....
On a mild caliber like the 6.5, why not cut an inch off the stock?
Originally Posted by John_Boy

Some may laugh, but it makes perfect sense. A shorter stock can be good for faster handling and would sure help with the scope positioning situation. I never thought of that.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Some may laugh, but it makes perfect sense. A shorter stock can be good for faster handling and would sure help with the scope positioning situation. I never thought of that.

DF

While I cringe at the thought of deliberately cutting a #1, I do have a couple that were cut when I bought them. And I have to admit that a half inch off the stock makes a much nicer handling #1.

GH
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

While I cringe at the thought of deliberately cutting a #1, I do have a couple that were cut when I bought them. And I have to admit that a half inch off the stock makes a much nicer handling #1.

GH

Yep! I have several that are shortened, it works for me.
Great looking wood, and it seems to be a shooter. Way to go on that one.
I have two that I cut to my LOP which is 12.75". The scope is easieer to see through and of course they fit me.
I wouldn't recommend cutting some real nice wood, but there are enough plain wood No.1's out there that some stock swapping. I bought my .243 with a cut stock. Now I'm trying to sell the barreled action. I'll keep the wood to put on the 6.5. It may be a Lipsey's, but it's got plain wood. The stock on the .243 was much nicer.
I could not bring myself to cut any of that stock, I am 6'2", and it feels small enough already... I really don't have much of an issue with the eye relief, could it be a touch better, ya, and maybe some day I'll pick up some offset mounts. But, it really isn't bothering me enough to do it right now, so I probably won't.
very,very nice!!!!
Adjusting the stock length will not harm the character of that fine rifle, IMHO.
I took 3/4" off the butt of my Lipseys SS walnut 6.5x55 It made all the difference in the world as far as scope fit is concerned and I think it even looks better proportioned now, due to the shortness of the barrel on the 1A's. It's not as "stubby" looking now.
Beautiful rifle! If i could get my #1 to shoot half that good id be happy.
Of course i havent shot reloads through it yet. Only factory.

But THAT is some GREAT shooting
© 24hourcampfire