Home
Have been out a couple of times for bear already. No luck. Had the .375 H&H Number One along. A few weeks back I checked the zero by whacking a rockchuck with a 300 gr Sierra SPBT. That worked... Suspect that it's up to hitting a bear again, if I can find one and take the shot!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hmmm. Not a bear. The doe seemed lonely and stuck around for a while as I glassed for bear.
[Linked Image]

Best of luck to the hunters this season!

Regards, Guy
Guy, cool pics! Been doing some squirrel hunting. Got 8 so far with my H&R Sportster, single shot .22. Will deer hunt this fall with my CVA Scout .44 mag single shot.

maddog
You gotta get another nice bear with JBs rifle!!

Keep at it! Cool pix....
If eliminating feral cats at the farm is hunting then I have. Ruger No. 1 in .223 AI. I have two deer licenses for rifle season this year and will be using a Browning 1885 .25-06.
No season open here yet, but have busted a couple crows and a coyote with my 1-V 220 Swift.

Will hunt my old 45-120 C Sharps this fall too.

Gunner
I will probably take the .30-40 #1 for the deer opener this year, in two months...Although maybe the Princess will go with 53 TSX, too.
My dad uses a h&r ultra slug 3 1/2" 20 gauge for deer. Loves it had a 12 gauge he used for a couple years also.
[Linked Image]
I'll have my No. 1 in 45-70 out this November for deer.
cmg - what cartridge for that Number One in the photo?

Glad to see that some of us are hauling our Number One rifles afield. Pretty cool.
6 mm Remington - 80 gr. TTSX @ 3450 fps from the 26 " barrel of the 1B configuration.

Leupold 4x M8 scope

That rifle goes afield a lot with me on roe deer hunts.

Thanks for starting this thread. I enjoy seeing these No. 1 in the field as well.

No bears here - just wild boar. Hunting regs call for 6,5 mm and bigger though, so that 6 mm is grounded :-(
cmg - I'm a long-time fan of the 6mm Rem. Got one in 1974 and my youngest son still uses it regularly for varmints & deer. It's a bolt action Remington though. Sweet shooting little cartridge.

Thanks for the info. That's a nice photo of your rifle & deer.
CMG, where in Europe are you? I bought a No. 1 in Germany a few years back.
Two tags as well this jyear. If I get out which is probable first will be with my 1A 303 and second RSI 7x57. Not until Oct.
The season here is still a couple of months out. When it does arrive, I plan to carry my 1A in 6.5x55. It's past time to give that rifle a go. Probably with a 120gr, perhaps a 100gr this is yet to be decided.

Thanks for the thread, it is a good one.
My 9.3x74R and .338 Win Mag are going to elk camp again this year--seven weeks to go!
I could not help but admire the No 1's shown here on the campfire.

Where I live down here in Australia I am fortunate enough to have enough land to go for 30 minute stalk at dusk or dawn and get a chance to run into foxes, wild dogs or feral pigs or "hogs", & can do it all year round.

Larger (meaning older) hogs are extremely alert, never stay still for more than a second or two, and are difficult to stalk. Generally there will only be the opportunity for one shot.

I recently purchased a used 300H&H, the first No 1 I have owned.

They are great rifles!

[Linked Image]

I have loaded up some 165 NBT's, this is three sighting shots @ 55 meters, the rifle shoots nicely, better than I can. Some recoil off the bench...

So far one hog taken last weekend

[Linked Image]

Good Hunting Guys!

Just this back in June:

[Linked Image]

Gun deer season doesn't open here for another two-and-a-half months, so it'll be the odd hog or coyote until then. Or loose housecat. (Though black powder deer starts near the end of October.)
Originally Posted by stantdm
If eliminating feral cats at the farm is hunting then I have. Ruger No. 1 in .223 AI. I have two deer licenses for rifle season this year and will be using a Browning 1885 .25-06.

Did it say "feral" on their collars??

Anyway, if things work out for me, it will be 2nd week of November with a new to me Merkel K-1 in .308 Win.

If the weather isn't cooperating, raining, snowing etc., then it will be my 6.5 Swede Sako bolt gun.

Been out several times this year with the birthday present my dad gave me at 15 (14 1/2 years ago), a Savage 112 BVSS-S in .220 Swift. It has about 2000 rounds down the tube now but it still shoots 5 rounds of it's favorite load into a 1/2" (37gr. of IMR-4064 and just about any 52gr. bullet I can load).

Nick
I just got back from my caribou hunt a couple days ago. I have this pic of one bull and I got another but I don't have the pic yet. It is on my buddies camera and he's out of town. So I'll post this one and then the other. I took 2 rifles, both Browning 1885s in 30-06 and 45-70. This pic is of the bull I dropped with the 1885 chambered in 30-06. This rifle is a bit new to me and I ended up using factory ammo which was Winchester 180grain XP3 Supreme Elite. I usually handload everything but I ran out of time. The shot was 382 yards as he was looking at me and entered center mass of the neck and exited through the lung on his right side. He was DRT like a bag of hammers! I usually try to get two caribou per season and my family willn eat on that and salmon through the winter. Just finished with all the meat. I had 60 pounds made into summer sausage and hunter stix,Yum! I'll post the other pics when I get them from my buddy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very nice.
Missed a coyote with my 1V 220 Swift not long ago. Failed to hold into the 30+ mph crosswind enough and the shot went wide. That yote didn't hang around to see where the noise came from either.

Hope to use the 1AH 25-06 on deer this November.

Was working on a load for the Winchester Low Wall in 243 using 85gr Barnes TSX, but haven't come up with a combo it likes yet. Now with temps over 100 further load work may have to wait.
Still 5 weeks or so from BP deer season opening.

Congrats to all who have already 'made meat' or reduced the varmint population.

1B
I've just gone once so far, but the new 7x57 seems to work

[Linked Image]

Not from this year, but one of my coolest single-shot photos. Locals call these ghost deer with the light grey coloring.

[Linked Image]
Very nice photo!
Originally Posted by Armymark
I just got back from my caribou hunt a couple days ago. I have this pic of one bull and I got another but I don't have the pic yet. It is on my buddies camera and he's out of town. So I'll post this one and then the other. I took 2 rifles, both Browning 1885s in 30-06 and 45-70. This pic is of the bull I dropped with the 1885 chambered in 30-06. This rifle is a bit new to me and I ended up using factory ammo which was Winchester 180grain XP3 Supreme Elite. I usually handload everything but I ran out of time. The shot was 382 yards as he was looking at me and entered center mass of the neck and exited through the lung on his right side. He was DRT like a bag of hammers! I usually try to get two caribou per season and my family willn eat on that and salmon through the winter. Just finished with all the meat. I had 60 pounds made into summer sausage and hunter stix,Yum! I'll post the other pics when I get them from my buddy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So here is the rest of the story using the 45-70. This bull was down along the river braids and I spotted him from my perch on the side of the mountain. Put a jogging stalk on him to get to 124 yards according to my range finder. Settled down into a good position with my shooting sticks and put one through the boiler room. 350grain A-Frame on top of 63 grains of H335,Starline Brass and a Fed210 Match primer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice!
been out a couple times.. too dry for my inept feet to leave the road much, but I'm still plugging away at it...

my typical hunting area:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

You might not know what a feral animal is. Here is a definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral
Originally Posted by 1885boomstick
been out a couple times.. too dry for my inept feet to leave the road much, but I'm still plugging away at it...

my typical hunting area:
[Linked Image]

Thats tree stand thick there.
Originally Posted by 1885boomstick

my typical hunting area:
[Linked Image]

Thats tree stand thick there.

Thick and prime blacktail country :-)
I've been bear hunting with my Encore in .444. Will use it for deer as well.
I dumped a big, dry antelope doe on Sunday. About a 150 yard shot with my Liberty marked No. 1 in 6mm REM. Shot her in her bed....ever knew what hit her! That little 100gr Partition did exactly what it does so well!

Sorry no pictures...

Todd
ive got 2 does a spike and a red fox so far this year with my H&R .45-70 wearin a redfield and hopefully ill have a few hogs and a black bear with it by the end of november
A Wyoming antelope in September with an H&R Handi-Rifle in 35 Remington and 200 gr. Beartooth cast bullets.

[Linked Image]
Killed a grey with a .410cal Beretta break open single shot. It died hung up high in the tree it was in. To retrieve it, had to cut down the tree. The hard part of squirrel hunting is having to carry along a chainsaw. Good thing I've got a lightweight. At 14,500 rpm WOT, does a hellofajob skinning the buggers too.

[Linked Image]
That's some funny stuff right there...
Been hunting, but not killing. Carried my No. 1 in 9.3x74R, but the elk just didn't cooperate this year. Since I had lots of "spare time" this year, I took the obligatory "fence post" picture during a lull one morning:

[Linked Image]

Would have much preferred to spend that time field dressing a bull.
Well...this thread got the best of me. I was ready to move my last single shot rifle, a 1968 Ruger #1, out the door to pay for some camera equipment. And besides, I have a tack-driving 25/06 all ready to go which is perfection for the Coues' tag I have in my pocket. Plus, the #1 would fetch more dinero.

Well, as of last night I lost my nerve and the scope went back on the #1 and I'm loading my old standby recipe tonight. I wanted to sell the #1 before I scratched it up too much and ruined too much of the value, but I suppose now I'm just going to put that rig back to work (I think)! Hopefully soon I can add trophy pics to this thread in December.

Anyone looking for a really nice lefty 25/06? smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

You might not know what a feral animal is. Here is a definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral

I am well aware of what a farm cat is.

I think of feral cats being an issue to native populations in areas such as Hawaii, hard on birds, etc.

If I shoot a "feral" farm cat it would be because I don't like cats.
I hunt with single-shot 99% of the time.
Of course they are specialty handguns smile
My #1 Ruger in .45-70 Improved (long-throated)goes with me, at least a few times, on every hunt I do for anything from coyote to moose throughout a year.

My conundrum is to decide on what load! In bullets I have 325gr Hornady FTX; 350s in Speer, Hornady and Barnes TSX. A half-box of 330 Barnes Banded; 400gr Speers and 400gr Barnes Busters; 405gr Remingtons; 450gr A-Frames; 465gr hardcasts; 480gr Hornady DGX and 500gr Hornady FMJ. Along with all that there are a few 400gr Hawk FPs and Barnes Original 400gr RN's!

Plus the fact that any of these can be pushed out the muzzle from 1000 fps to 2200 for the 500s, 2300 for the 450 AF and 2550 for the 350 TSX!

So you see my dilemma... or maybe not! wink grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
I have the next couple of weeks off to get out after deer and maybe an elk. Will take an 1885 Win in 300H&H, a Merkel in 7Rem Mag and a #1 in 450/400ne. The #1 is using cast bullets, I killed a lot of branches and trees with it last year, trying to thread the needle, a few times, in some cutblocks. The 300H&H will do stand duty on a couple of spots with longer shots that may crop up. And the Merkel will just be nice to carry around some of the cutblock areas. Like to blood all three this year if I can. The 450 gets first crack at it though.
Trophy quality skunk, via my .414SuperMag carbine...that count as a hunt? grin

first one i've busted in ages that didnt spray....
[Linked Image]

I'm probably going to take the .30-40 #1 this weekend for the opener, but I probably won't get serious about shooting until the rut is on.
[Linked Image]

I bought a new old stock Uberti 1885 falling block 30-30 August 2005 in an on line auction ~ $500. I never shot it.

In first 3 weeks of Sept 2012 I finally got around to working on it.
I cut threads on a 26" Shilen #3 stainless select match .257 barrel. I chambered it for 257 Roberts Ackley Imrpoved rimmed. I necked down Norma 7x57mm rimmed brass and turned the necks.
I spent a long time making an extractor relief cut.
I spent a long time making a scope mount / bipod mount so that the barrel floated.
The bipod and forstock are mounted to a 5/8" OD 1/2" ID Aluminium tube that is mounted to the scope mount.
I made a prototype Cedar forstock, but did not get around to making a nice one or painting the barrel.
I put an Atlas bipod on it.

I drove 888 miles and started target practicing at long range in the second week of Oct. I zeroed it in with 115 gr Nos Bal tips moly 3050 fps at 200 yards.
300 yards was 3.5 moa elevation.
400 yards was 6 moa elevation.

In the 3 week of Oct I started killing deer with it.
By the end of the third week I had used up all my tags and drove 888 miles home.
Do muzzleloaders count? I shot this 10-point buck this morning with my .50 caliber T/C Fox Ridge Outfitters Rifle (Renegade variant). I used a 320-grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullet I cast myself and 100 grains of G-O. I gambled and took a shot at 150 yards. He's hanging now and I'll clean my rifle and head back after a doe.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Do muzzleloaders count? I shot this 10-point buck this morning with my .50 caliber T/C Fox Ridge Outfitters Rifle (Renegade variant). I used a 320-grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullet I cast myself and 100 grains of G-O. I gambled and took a shot at 150 yards. He's hanging now and I'll clean my rifle and head back after a doe.

[Linked Image]

Great shot, congrats.

[Linked Image]

Great shot, congrats.
Thanks. It was a farther shot than I realized, but I was happy with the end result.

[Linked Image]

Hey Bricktop, Do dat be a left-hand percussion lock on dat Fox Ridge? I ain't never seen one o' dem.

Tim
Here's what I did on Oct. 1st. I already posted this earlier, so sorry if you're already seen it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The particulars: Got this speed goat on afternoon of opening day in Antelope Area 16, east of Buffalo, WY. As a bonus it has an extra "sticker" point on the outside of each horn.

Ruger No. 1AH in .25-06. I've installed a Clement's custom trigger, Moulds speed hammer, Blitzschnell mainspring, and Trop #1 custom safety. Scope is Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x with BDC reticle. Shooting my loads with 100gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock X-bullet (TTSX) loaded to around 3400fps and still getting less than 3/4" groups consistently. Shot was taken from the ledge just below the horizon over my left shoulder in the first pic, with a crosswind gusting up to around 15 mph. Range was 320yds lasered with Leica 1600B rangefinder. The shot was just a fuzz further back than I normally like. I slightly over-compensated for the crosswind.

Tim
Originally Posted by Skeezix

[Linked Image]
Hey Bricktop, Do dat be a left-hand percussion lock on dat Fox Ridge? I ain't never seen one o' dem.

Tim
It be. T/C used to offer the New Englander and Renegade in left-handed variants. If you were right-handed, you could get a Renegade Hunter, with single trigger, swivel studs, and a recoil pad. If you were left-handed and wanted those things, you had to drop about $120 or so more with T/C's custom shop, the now-defunct Fox Ridge Outfitters, and get one of their rifles. I used to have two of these and kept the prettier of the two. I wish I had the other still, too.

[Linked Image]

Tim
It be. T/C used to offer the New Englander and Renegade in left-handed variants. If you were right-handed, you could get a Renegade Hunter, with single trigger, swivel studs, and a recoil pad. If you were left-handed and wanted those things, you had to drop about $120 or so more with T/C's custom shop, the now-defunct Fox Ridge Outfitters, and get one of their rifles. I used to have two of these and kept the prettier of the two. I wish I had the other still, too.

Well I'll be kiss-my-go-to-damn! Dat sho nuff be purty.

[Linked Image]

Tim
Well I'll be kiss-my-go-to-damn! Dat sho nuff be purty.
It be shootin' purty, too.
Here's what I did on Oct. 1st. I already posted this earlier, so sorry if you're already seen it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The particulars: Got this speed goat on afternoon of opening day in Antelope Area 16, east of Buffalo, WY. As a bonus it has an extra "sticker" point on the outside of each horn.

Ruger No. 1AH in .25-06. I've installed a Clement's custom trigger, Moulds speed hammer, Blitzschnell mainspring, and Trop #1 custom safety. Scope is Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x with BDC reticle. Shooting my loads with 100gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock X-bullet (TTSX) loaded to around 3400fps and still getting less than 3/4" groups consistently. Shot was taken from the ledge just below the horizon over my left shoulder in the first pic, with a crosswind gusting up to around 15 mph. Range was 320yds lasered with Leica 1600B rangefinder. The shot was just a fuzz further back than I normally like. I slightly over-compensated for the crosswind.

Tim
Very nice! I lived in Douglas, Wyoming many years ago and shot a few goats there back in the early and mid '80s. (I believe it was area 28.) I ought to try and do it again some day.
A "twofer" for the Merkel this last weekend!

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

[Linked Image]

Nice work. I've got one of those Renegades in .54 with the left-handed lock. It likes roundballs and Goex powder pretty well. Have not had an opportunity to fire it in anger at a deer, but maybe this will be the year.
Originally Posted by geedubya
A "twofer" for the Merkel this last weekend!

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB
That's a lot of bacon.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Nice work. I've got one of those Renegades in .54 with the left-handed lock. It likes roundballs and Goex powder pretty well. Have not had an opportunity to fire it in anger at a deer, but maybe this will be the year.
I've never shot round balls from mine, I've always stuck with conicals (never sabots) in this rifle and round balls in my Lyman GPR.
God blessed me with a great low country , South Carolina Buck! I shot this buck October 20th during the pre-rut in the middle of a white oak grove. The rifle is a #1 in 25-06 with a 4.5-14x44 Conquest that shoots factory, Federal 100 grain TSX's very well.

[Linked Image]
Haven't taken a deer yet, but I did blood the Super .30 Monday.

[Linked Image]
I'm pleased at how the .30-40 #1C shot today, with 150 Nosler BT and Big Game, so it's headed to the lease next weekend smile

I got out with the 1885 today. Shot a buck at 218 yards says the range finder. It was as close to a bang flop as I get with a heart shot. Spun in a circle and went down. Sorry I have no pictures but it was late, and cold. I am really pleased with the accuracy of this rifle.
Our season starts on Saturday and I will be taking a TC G2 Contender rifle in 30-30 that I picked up last January. I shot it last weekend and so far really like what I have seen. I think I could get used to carrying a single shot. I have been eyeing up another one for the past 6 years, but have been a iffy. That could very well change now.

Dale
[Linked Image]
I killed 3 deer in 2010 with a Ruger #1 7mmRM
I killed 4 deer in 2012 with a Uberti 1885 257 Roberts Ackley

From a bipod I can fire the #1 like a machine gun, because it has an ejector.

The 1885 really lets me know it is a single shot when I have to pull the old case out of the way with my finger nail.
Shot this 8-pointer about two hours ago with my 1A 7x57mm using a Hornady 175-grain RN over 40.7 grains of H4350 in a W-W case with a WLR primer. Velocity is in the 2300 FPS range. No second shot needed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What Bricktop's buck would look like with night vision
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

What Bricktop's buck would look like with night vision
I was headed in when the sun started going down when I saw this one trailing a doe. No sooner had he gone down than the coyotes started raising hell nearby. The house was a good half-a-mile away. I was sure I'd find them gnawing on my buck if I didn't haul ass.
Congrats Brick, did he travel very far after being hit?
Originally Posted by Joe
No, he went down in a heap. Lasered distance was 135 yards. I was leaning across the fence in the picture shooting towards where I was standing while taking this picture. I like this load. A lot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
deer hunted the afternoon of opening day, yesterday. no deer-yet.
Originally Posted by Joe
No, he went down in a heap. Lasered distance was 135 yards. I was leaning across the fence in the picture shooting towards where I was standing while taking this picture. I like this load. A lot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now that just looks right!
I took a large boar a few days ago with my martini in 33 Winchester.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rojelio
I took a large boar a few days ago with my martini in 33 Winchester.
[Linked Image]
Very nice. What are your rifle's and load's particulars?
Hi Bricktop, The rifle started life as as a Nepalese Francotte Martini in 577/450. It was a wallhanger so I decided to make it usable (I'm not in to wallhangers). I bought an A&B blank 338 barrel and cut it half round half octagon, chambered it in 33 Winchester, and installed it on the action. The load was a Hornady 200 gr.sp at 2250fps.

Thats the quick story. A lot of alterations had to be made to the action to get it to work with a smokeless round.
Have been sitting rifle-less with my youngest daughter up
until this weekend... She got her first last weekend, so she
slept in and let me get out for myself a little smile

First blood for this combo, a Bergara 308 barrel rechambered
to 300 H&H. 130 Barnes TTSX over Rel-17, around 3300 mv
+- 250 yards, lung shot. My first experience w Barnes, did
the job well enough. maybe quarter sized exit, dropped at the
shot.
[Linked Image]
Rojelio,
I admire that you killed that boar with a single shot rifle, but the face on that animal looks huge. That pic has some shock value.
Rojelio,
I admire that you killed that boar with a single shot rifle, but the face on that animal looks huge. That pic has some shock value.

Sorry Clark, It was getting dark and my cell phone pics were crappy. Here's a complete view (albeit crappy).
[Linked Image]
Sometimes it's best to blend in with the herd.

[Linked Image]

This calico hoglet stood out amongst all the others. So she got nailed.

Talley one more for the Merkel!

Best

GWB
#1C in .30-40 scored on a Texas 8 point:

[Linked Image]
Firearm deer season opened this last weekend, here in Indiana. I used my CVA Scout .44 mag/leverevolution ammo, to score on 2 nice does, the last 3 days.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The pics aren't the best, but you get the idea.

My son scored a small buck on the third day, with his handi rifle .44 mag/LE ammo, also.

[Linked Image]

All my hunting this fall[squirrels/deer] has been with single shot rifles.

maddog
Originally Posted by maddog
Firearm deer season opened this last weekend, here in Indiana. I used my CVA Scout .44 mag/leverevolution ammo, to score on 2 nice does, the last 3 days.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The pics aren't the best, but you get the idea.

My son scored a small buck on the third day, with his handi rifle .44 mag/LE ammo, also.

[Linked Image]

All my hunting this fall[squirrels/deer] has been with single shot rifles.

maddog
What are those deer eating?!! Hell, even the does look bigger than my 10-pointer!
Brickie, we grow em big here in NW Indiana. grin My heaviest buck ever weighed 226 lbs. field dressed, and my biggest doe was 140 lbs. field dressed. Add 30-35% and you get real close to the live weight.

maddog
Here's a pic of my buddy's buck that he took opening morning about sun up.

[Linked Image]

he took it with his Knight ML. All three of us hunted with single shots on his property.

maddog
Originally Posted by maddog
Brickie, we grow em big here in NW Indiana. grin My heaviest buck ever weighed 226 lbs. field dressed, and my biggest doe was 140 lbs. field dressed. Add 30-35% and you get real close to the live weight.

maddog
The heaviest deer ever killed in the county I hunt in southeast Oklahoma was a little over 170 pounds; my heaviest was a little under 130 pounds.
[Linked Image]

I don't know what my 2012 single shot take buck weighed, but I do know I am 5'9" 185 pounds, and I could only lift one end.

To get him into the vehicle, I had to put a rope around his neck and winch him in.
Took a WT doe this morning at 9:30 with the 7x57 1A.

92 yds, broadside & clueless ain't hard but I didn't scorn her for bein' easy.
I had my 1A 257R out this morning and a couple of does got a free pass.
[Linked Image]
Shot this buck with a 20 guage NEF Tracker II using a 3" Winchester Partition Gold Sabot. @ 85 yards.

When rifle hunting I mainly use Handi Rifles and Toppers. Maddog I have a CVA in 7mm-08 Stainless I am still working with to get consistent shot after shot performance.
Just returned from Kyrgyzstan two weeks ago and the new Luxus 30-06 I took worked just fine on this mid-Asian Ibex.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 458Win
Just returned from Kyrgyzstan two weeks ago and the new Luxus 30-06 I took worked just fine on this mid-Asian Ibex.

[Linked Image]

Awesome!
Wow, just Wow! What a set of horns! Details?
Up to three now with the Encore/300 H&H after big doe
Saturday evening. About time to safe it and let some other
rifles play this season smile

Hunted the Sabatti double last couple evenings, ya'll let me
post pics here if I only shoot one barrel? laugh
Wow....

Awesome Phil, simply awesome.
Put it up in another thread but here is my buck from last Sat. Taken with a Ruger #1 in .460 S&W.
[Linked Image]
Bucks and squirrels with my Savage 24J 22mag/20 GA
my youngest son dropped a six-point whitetail this evening with his .45-70 handi-rifle.
I don't always hunt..but when I do I prefer single shots!!
My third and possibly last deer for 2012. 85-pound doe with the ever-present 1A in 7x57mm.

[Linked Image]

This was also a 125-yard (or so) shot that hit her at the front of her right shoulder and exited mid-chest on her left. She never knew she was done for and ran about 75 yards before piling up in a ditch.
Now that I'm basically done deer hunting for the year, I got back after the squirrels. Here's 3 I nailed yesterday, in about 45 minutes with my H&R Sportster. Got them between 10:45 and 11:30 am.

[Linked Image]

maddog
maddog,
This week I have been getting ~ 1 squirrel per day with the 45/70 handi rifle 1 gr Red Dot 150 gr .458" cast with Aluminium spacer. 400 fps sounds like a BB gun. I developed this for getting raccoons with body shots, but it only works from the side through the ribs. I can't get though a 10 pound coon's front shoulder to the vitals with sub sonic gas escapement loadings. But it has all kinds of penetration for 1.5 pound squirrels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bricktop - pretty classy rifle there, a 7x57 in a Ruger 1A... Nice. Congrats on the doe!

Maddog - looks like you're going to be cooking up some tasty grub with those squirrels soon enough...

Clarkm - that's pretty neat... But, is it legal to hunt squirrels in Washington? I don't think so - not sure why though - there's a zillion of 'em.

Guy
WA state web site:
Shooting tree squirrels may be helpful if a small, localized population of introduced species is problematic. For safety considerations, shooting is generally limited to rural situations and is considered too hazardous in more populated areas, even if legal.

The Eastern Gray Squirrel has been invading WA since 1925
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_gray_squirrel

My experience is that even if it is legal to shoot, the neighbors don't want to hear it. And at night, the wife does not want to hear it.
Well, I let two different bucks walk today. One was, I believe the nicest shootable buck I have ever seen. It was, I know, at least a 10 and I believe a 12. I never could get a count that satisfied me, but it was at least a 10, I could count that plainly. I was able to watch him for about an hour from about 100 or so yds. He would come and go, appear and disappear, keeping tabs on the other buck and on the doe in the thick stuff.

Rut is in full swing and he had a bad case. The other was somewhat scraggly in comparison. I have an 11 on the wall; this one had a superior rack. He is a truly magnificent WT buck.
My son shot this gator, in south florida, right after Christmas. It's not a big gator, but it's a gator! grin

He used his H&R handi rifle, 44 mag and LE factory loads.

[Linked Image]

maddog
I hunted with my Ruger #1 RSI in 30-06 almost exclusively for the last 20 years. This year a nice 7 point whitetail fell victim to the #1 . Nothing better than carrying that short #1 here in Maine and it sure does raise a lot of eyebrows from other hunters as this is the land of the 7400 and 7600.
A big 8pt with .35Whelen #1, a 7pt, 8pt and a big doe with .45/70 Browning 85. Was shooting 225s in the Whelen and Leverevolution 325 reloads in the 85.
Squirrels with a .22 SS old German falling block. Single shots get used more than the rest here..
Got a pic of the German falling block?
Got a pic of the German falling block?

don't do pics real well but will try.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/BobbyTomek/hog-2-nov-15-2012.jpg[/img]

There have been a couple other 'yotes and 1 other hog in the past 6-8 weeks, but I have no pics of those. These were all taken since the current whitetail season began. The 'cat was taken yesterday with a 25-35 (actually the gun is set up for our 9 year-old twins but I used it!) and 87 grain Hornady SP. The stainless barrel is a 30-30 AI while the 20" blued is a 7mm Bullberry. The buck was taken with the 7mm BB and a 140 grain BT from 230 ayrds with a frontal chest chot.
like those laminate stocks. Brand?
Thanks! The laminates were made by highplainsgunstocks.com with the exception of the green camo forend, which was made by Dave Dolin of West Virginia.
maddog,
This week I have been getting ~ 1 squirrel per day with the 45/70 handi rifle 1 gr Red Dot 150 gr .458" cast with Aluminium spacer. 400 fps sounds like a BB gun. I developed this for getting raccoons with body shots, but it only works from the side through the ribs. I can't get though a 10 pound coon's front shoulder to the vitals with sub sonic gas escapement loadings. But it has all kinds of penetration for 1.5 pound squirrels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ClarkM,

Interesting .45-70 spacer gizmo. Details?
[Linked Image]

I have a history of building guns to get low noise, the most power, no suppressor, and legal.
The trick is to get the powder compressed, the expansion ratio high, and the barrel long. Use soft Lead bullets. Seal the gas behind the bullet by cramming the bullet into the lands. The threshold of super sonic gas escapement [Loud gunshot bang vs BB gun spitting sound] is one atmosphere above ambient.

[Linked Image]

The stock 45/70 chamber has riflings that are way out there. I want to compress the 1 gr of powder, but I do not want to jump to the lands. A jump to the lands would allow gas to make a bang and also it would ruin accuracy with soft Lead. I want a Lead seal on pressure at the lands. So I needed to make a spacer. I made a formula for the outside of the 45/70 case. I measured the thickness of the case wall at 0.1" intervals starting at the case web. I then used a spread sheet to tell me the diameter of a spacer. With DRO, not CNC I made spacers. At first from Steel, but later from 6061 Aluminum Alloy. The flash hole must be big enough to get a decapping pin down. It is a home made decapping die made with drill rod.
ClarkM,

Thanks for posting some of your experiments in low noise firearms.

What do you think of casting the spacer with lead in situ ? A brass tube clamped in position would become the elongated flash hole. I imagine casting might be easier to do considering the work involved in individually machining spacers for each cartridge case.
I don't know if Lead will work, but epoxy resin will not. It breaks up.
It takes my 20 minutes to make one from Aluminum, once I get going.
First with the 1885 smile
375 H&H, 235 Speer over 82 grains of Rel-17, about 2900 fps
Oh yeah, hammer!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
Ouch!
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
First with the 1885 smile
Oh yeah, hammer!
[Linked Image]

dammm jeff, did you run over that ol' doe or shoot it. I take it that's one of our "primative" rifles.. grin
Speaking of which, I just saw an 1885 for sale chambered in 348 Winchester. The guy is selling it because of the recoil.
Yep, put that together for MS primitive.

grin yeah figured somebody'd say something about shooting
it in the road... private dirt road runs from one box blind to the next.
Sure do love it when they fall like that, just back the ranger
right up to them.

BT, had it pushed over 3,000 easy with no
problems, other than the groups seemed to gradually open up the more powder I fed it. Had hoped to shoot 260 Accubond,
but so far it doesn't like them as well. Needs lots more
tuning n tweaking!
I met a guy that hunted deer with a 375.
He had had a bad experience with .223 and so compensated.
He was a PhD candidate in mining engineering.
Got a nice 4x4 Mule deer buck with my 1885 Hi Wall. 38-55 caliber with open sights and shooting Black Mag powder. 183 yards with open sights. This is my first post here so will have to figure out how to put up a picture.
Originally Posted by GoPokes
Got a nice 4x4 Mule deer buck with my 1885 Hi Wall. 38-55 caliber with open sights and shooting Black Mag powder. 183 yards with open sights. This is my first post here so will have to figure out how to put up a picture.

Pictures aren't easy to post, but there is a tutorial in the "photography section."
© 24hourcampfire