Home
So I have a G2 Contender rifle in 30-30 that I have started shooting. Twice I have had 2 light primer strikes. being new to the Contender, what would be some of the steps to fixing the problem?

Thanks,

Dale
Handloads or factory loads?
Two different brands of factory loads. One was Winchester and the other was Hornady.

Dale
From what I know this can be a fairly common issue if you are running a hammer extension one the G2 frame. That supposedly is enough to require the stronger spring.

Even if you are not using a hammer extension I would still consider trying the extra strength hammer spring that Bellmtcs sells.
I will look onto the hammer spring. I don't have an extension on it.

Dale

I know you said G2... But in the original contender if the action is not tightly locked up, the same thing can happen. This has occured to me when I have purchased accessory barrels. It was more noticable in the pre: easy-open frames. I usually try to get in the habit of snapping them closed, smartly... Thus to eliminate that occurance...

Since I've never messed with a G2, I don't know if that can happen with them or not. Just making you aware of a potential problem...

GH
With a micrometer, measure the rim thickness of the 2 light primer strikes compared to the thickness of the deep primer strikes. Might be a headspace issue. Mike Bellm has bushings to fix headspace issues on his website as well as a good explanation of Contender headspace.
Another cause might be a weak hammer spring. Bellm has beefed up hammer springs. If it only happens with the 30/30 barrel it could be the locking lugs are not fully seated. Try a different barrel if you can.
I have many different contender bbls, and I find that certain barrels will have this problem and others won't. I think it is a lock up problem usually. Wallacem in Ga.
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

I know you said G2... But in the original contender if the action is not tightly locked up, the same thing can happen. This has occured to me when I have purchased accessory barrels. It was more noticable in the pre: easy-open frames. I usually try to get in the habit of snapping them closed, smartly... Thus to eliminate that occurance...

Since I've never messed with a G2, I don't know if that can happen with them or not. Just making you aware of a potential problem...

GH
this is the answer.
Old news with T/C's - I also recomend you turn to Mike Bellm, his website has all the info you needon this topic, as well as parts.

Headspace is the bugaboo, switchable barrels mean loose tolerances by design. It isnt a defect, it is a feature - LOL.
© 24hourcampfire