Home
Posted By: Reloder28 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
I took delivery of an 1885 Low Wall in 260 Remington today. Having been an 1885 enthusiast since Browning introduced them, I must say that I have had my head in the sand on the Low Wall models. I have owned & fired several High Walls. I don't recall ever hefting a Low Wall until today & it was love at first shouldering.

Cannot believe I have been in the dark this long. I have lost time to make up !!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
Congrats but, we need pics, grin

What ya gonna scope her with, 125 Partitions sound good in the game tagging department.

Gunner
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
It'll get a Swarovski. I can get pictures this weekend. The walnut is tiger eye and the pattern moves with every angle of the gun. It is the most gorgeous walnut I've ever seen on a production rifle.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
My next project I have in mind is to get one in .223 and have it rebored to .250-3000.
Nice, on the glass and walnut too, cant wait to see it. smile

Gunner
Originally Posted by Bricktop
My next project I have in mind is to get one in .223 and have it rebored to .250-3000.

What do you reckon the limit is on chamberings?
Originally Posted by Reloder28
What do you reckon the limit is on chamberings?
In what way? I spoke with Dan Pedersen about a year ago regarding going from .223 to .250-3000 and he didn't have an issue with it.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
Nice! I was salivating over the Low Wall in 6.5x55 but have dropped a little too much mad money on 1911s and a 1A I couldn't resist. I think a 260 or 6.5x55 seems like a perfect match for the rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/Reloder28/pix913886761_zpsf61a1133.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/Reloder28/pix804071418_zpsda79bf0e.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/Reloder28/pix728472161_zps014b380b.jpg[/img]
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Nice! I think a 260 or 6.5x55 seems like a perfect match for the rifle.

I can't argue with that. I have always admired the smooth lines of the 1885's. I had no idea these little jewels existed in such lighter proportion to the High Wall.
Is that as light in person as in the pictures? Most of the Low Wall Brownings I've seen are almost chocolate brown. Blonde is different for sure.
In what way? I spoke with Dan Pedersen about a year ago regarding going from .223 to .250-3000 and he didn't have an issue with it.

I was wondering if a 280 Rem might fit. grin
No, it's the typical chocolate brown.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
I've got a Winchester version in .22 Hornet. Sure wish it had the character of the wood pictured above, like it anyway.
It is fancy. I was pleasantly surprised.
I was wondering if a 280 Rem might fit. grin
You could try.... whistle
It is fancy. I was pleasantly surprised.

DAYUUM, that a sweetheart, hope she makes ya a good accurate shooter, congrats.

Gunner
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
great score, the .260 is a good fit for that rifle. Rare, too, I think they were only made a couple of years.
Posted By: Armymark Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
Man that is some sweet furniture! Cool caliber as well. Well done!
Posted By: meddybemps Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
Damn, they are not listing anything othert han a .22 rimfire on their website......are the High Walls and Low Walls going the way of the Ruger No. 1?
Originally Posted by meddybemps
Damn, they are not listing anything othert han a .22 rimfire on their website......are the High Walls and Low Walls going the way of the Ruger No. 1?
They kind of always were. They were never produced in large numbers, usually in batches from what I could tell, and only in a few calibers.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by Armymark
Man that is some sweet furniture! Cool caliber as well. Well done!

+1 on that!
Posted By: Joe Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
You surely won the wood lottery on that one Reloder28!!
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/16/13
Wow! That is purdy!!

I've been wanting one of those for years, but just can't keep the scratch in my pocket long enough to make it happen.

.260 is the largest caliber chambered in the Browning version.
Not a lot of them made and owners report that the recoil can be "lively" due to the light weight.

The new Winchester offering in 6.5 Swede is tempting too!
They don't have the wood the Browning did, nor the glossy finish that many folks say they don't like... I personally love it because it brings out all that the wood has to offer.

Good catch, man! Color me jealous!! laugh
Posted By: Ashworth Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/17/13
Yes very nice gun. I was watching that gun closely on GB and really thought it would go for more. I think you got a good deal on it. Enjoy.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/17/13
I bought one of these Brownings for my dad about 10 years ago, It shoots 100 Bt's under 3/4" all the time, 120 Bt's under 1" and 95 VMAX to about 3/4". They are SWEET. Spendy now though. Last one I saw went for about $2K.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/17/13
Saw one at a gun show in Detroit about a year ago... I THOUGHT the tag on it said $ 800, but much to my chagrin, it really said $1800 , I was making plans on buying it for a minute... Then the proverbial balloon got deflated... frown

I'll likely never own one now, that is, unless I have my .223 rebored... grin But if I did, I'd likely go 6.5 Creedmoor.... 1~8" twist... My 1885 Hi-Wall Winchester in .223 I had rechambered to .225 Win...

GH
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by Ashworth
Yes very nice gun. I was watching that gun closely on GB and really thought it would go for more. I think you got a good deal on it. Enjoy.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I paid the right price. But, I was going to make sure I got it!
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13
I picked up one yesterday in 6.5x55, awesome rifle. Trying to decide on a scope. Didn't know it came with Talley base and rings.
Posted By: fourbore Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13
Very nice low wall!

One of these guns is on my to own, long list. I like the style and proportions. Based on web reports they are shooters. I am currently fighting with a No1 and not planing to go down that road again. I do have couple questions.

1. How accurate have your 1885's shot right out of the box. Factory ammo - no messing around? How much hassle and exactly what is consistent 100yrd group size?

Any one care to share over all opinion on the BAD & GOOD?

Grasshopper How does your 223 shoot. you plan to rebore. Any complaints?

Any quirky differences from hi to low wall?

2. Is there a more slender scope base setup for this rifle. The ones I see on the web look like a couple of big square blocks. Anything lower and more graceful for such a sleek little rifle? Are those boxy basses Talley?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by fourbore
Very nice low wall!

One of these guns is on my to own, long list. I like the style and proportions. Based on web reports they are shooters. I am currently fighting with a No1 and not planing to go down that road again.
Accuracy is a sometimes thing with #1's.

1. How accurate have your 1885's shot right out of the box.
I have only ever put reloads through my 1885's. They have all been one hole shooters with very little effort. I have never been frustrated with any of them at the shooting bench.

Any one care to share over all opinion on the BAD & GOOD?

Good: 1885's are the sleekest, most stylish rifles for my liking. No other rifle is as attractive to me. They are extremely accurate right out of the box. The trigger is user adjustable. If you like pretty wood you'll love the Browning. The Winchester is more entry level but it IS an 1885 all the same. The basic function is there.

Bad: Who'd have thunk such an old design would fetch such a price as it does today? The High Walls could be lighter. The Hammer Spur could be a little more sizable. It's hard to get a grip on with too thick of a glove. It also require mounting the scope higher than I prefer. I don't reckon JMB had scopes in mind when he designed the gun.

2. Is there a more slender scope base setup for this rifle. The ones I see on the web look like a couple of big square blocks. Anything lower and more graceful for such a sleek little rifle? Are those boxy basses Talley?

No, those square block bases are NOT Talley's. If you go to Winchester's website you can see the Talley base. It is sleek and demure with clean, sleek lines to compliment the rifle. I have one on my High Wall. My rings are medium to clear the hammer spur. But, the scope tube makes a good carrying handle.

What's not to like?!
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13
Grasshopper, How does your 223 shoot. you plan to rebore. Any complaints?

fourbore,

My .223 Rem Lo-Wall remains unfired, as yet... And I don't have any plans to shoot it. I have other .223's, thus it's a moot point. I purchased it purely for a project gun. I have another, also N.I.B. in .22 Hornet, that I have plans to make a .25/20 or a .32/20... Cant' decide which... blush

Also own Browning Lo-Walls in .243 Win, and .22 K-Hornet. The K-Hornet shoots like a dream, and is one of my very favorite rifles for shortrange varminting or just playing around...

I haven't seen the new Talley mounts as yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on some... Gotta be better than those UGLY Burris bases that Browning used to sell.

Good: I like the stocks on the low-walls. I prefer a pistol/grip stock and a good recoil pad. Love the schnabel fore-end.

Also like the exposed hammer and the directional ejector guide, or stop... what ever one wishes. I've never had any issues with the triggers.

BAD: I believe it to be a waste of good wood on the ones with a cresent butte! ESPECIALLY on the heavier recoilers, i.e: .45/90, .405 Win, etc...

P.S: I also own B-78's in .300 H&H, and .405 Win (Currently in process). And I have 1885 Hi-walls in .225 Win. 7mm WSM, and .325 WSM. And .38/55...

Thus, overall, to say I like them would be an understatement... grin

GH
Posted By: 65BR Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13
Nice rifle.

Like to see pics of an actual Swede. For a sporter I'd rather forego the gloss on a hunting rifle, but DO like the wood on the Brownings, the grain was much better than the ads on the Winchester versions, perhaps they wised up and using similar grade wood as I'd never own one plain grained.
Posted By: fourbore Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive feedback. I did not spend much time at the Winchester site, it appeared to be in mist of getting updated for 2013 line. I did request a paper catalog.

Like so many others, I learned the hard way about the crescent butt plates.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/19/13

The wood on both of my Winnie Lo-Walls are VERY plain. I've an idea about what I can do to spice them up. But I don't buy guns for pretty wood. I buy them for what they are. Of course, I like nice wood. But it seems the few I have with nice wood, just get left in the safe.

Thetorically, I buy or build my guns to use... But that is not always the case. Once I've hunted with a rifle and taken game, I pretty much lose interest in it... They rarely get used after that...

We all have different philosophys, I guess... grin

GH
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/20/13
Talley 1885 Base
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=026C&mid=635151908
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/20/13
It's rumored that the new Winchester Low Wall has a cartridge ejector, like the High Wall - as opposed to the extractor in the Browning version Low Wall.....?
Posted By: fourbore Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/20/13
RL28, Agreed, I like that Talley base.
Posted By: stantdm Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/21/13

Conetrol mounts are the smallest I have used on my 1885s. the custums match the polished blue pretty well if that matters and they are really pretty minimal as far as size goes.

Posted By: Loner Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/21/13
You got a nice one Reloader28.
That stock is the only one I have seen that even comes close to mine. I would say out of 1 to 10 we both got 9's
I bought mine in 97 I think. The gun shop had 5 in 260Rem. so I got to pick the one with the best wood. I bought it to take backpacking into the high country and hunt for mule deer and that is what I did with it and it shows it is about 80% now.
At the time it was hard to find ammo so I just necked up 243 or necked down 7mm-08 or 308win. With the 308win you have to neck turn them. It likes 44.3 grains of IMR 4831 with 140 grain Sierra boat tails.
Will make one ragged 5 round hole at 100yds. I have a standing offer for $2000 if I ever want to get rid of her.
They only made 285 of them in 260rem and I just love this rifle so I'm going to keep it.

Thanks for posting, it is nice to see another one.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/21/13
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
It's rumored that the new Winchester Low Wall has a cartridge ejector, like the High Wall - as opposed to the extractor in the Browning version Low Wall.....?

Anybody...?
Posted By: Loner Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/21/13
I have a new Winchester in 223 and yes it has a ejector.
My son has one in 22-250 and it also has a ejector.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/21/13
My 6.5x55 Swede does have the ejector. It does not have the multi-direction deflector.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 1885 Low Wall - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by Loner
I have a new Winchester in 223 and yes it has a ejector.
My son has one in 22-250 and it also has a ejector.
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
My 6.5x55 Swede does have the ejector. It does not have the multi-direction deflector.

OK, that's what I had heard. Thanks Much!
© 24hourcampfire