Home
Posted By: Joe Merkel K3 - 03/01/14
I'm thinking about getting one and have never considered spending this much money on a rifle but, I have more hunts behind me than in front and I would like a nice rifle. This will be my last rifle purchase. whistle I've about decided on a .30'06 but, am wondering how the recoil will be with a 5 and half pound rifle. grin Anyone care to comment about the workmanship and the handling of these?
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Merkel K3 - 03/01/14
can't speak to the k3 directly but i have a blazer 95 in 30/06. it is easy to carry and handle wells. recoil with 165 grain bullets are is not bad. i found the accuracy of the rifle very good.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Merkel K3 - 03/01/14
I've had a Merkel K1 in .308 Winchester since 2005. It weighs an ounce under 7 pounds with a 3-9x Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000, and is VERY accurate. I like the way it handles, partly because of the 24" barrel and ramp front sight provide just enough weight forward. The trigger's superb, and recoil isn't a problem (the load I mostly use is the 150 AccuBond at around 2900 fps). I've taken several animals with it at ranges from 35 to 300+ yards with no problems. The wood and workmanship are superb.

I also like the fact that it can be taken apart quickly to fit in a smaller case for traveling.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Merkel K3 - 03/02/14
I suspect that John is on the right track. In the light rifle, use better constructed but lighter bullets. Pushing a Superformance 180 at 2900 from a .30-06 would get your attention from a fly weight.

I like the way you are thinking. My time left is not enough to hunt with an ugly gun. After passing the 3/4 mark, I have shipped the last magnum. I'm pretty sure the .243 with a proper bullet would do all that I have left. But just in case, I still have three '06s, and a .308, and a .270, and.........a few more.

Best wishes, jack
Posted By: TestedOnAnimals Re: Merkel K3 - 04/28/14
I have one in 7-08. Phenomenal rifle. Super light. Kick on the 7-08 is felt but not too much at all. My brother got one after he saw mine. His in 308. He shoots 150 NAB and 168 gr NE-tips. The 168 gets noticeable recoil but unless your firing 20 rounds at the range in a t-shirt you will be fine. A 30-06 I. An only imagine would kick more. Noticeably.
ToA
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Merkel K3 - 05/03/14
IMO, a 5 pound 30-06 is going to hurt. If I were going to by a K-series Merkel, it would be a 7x57R, tops.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Merkel K3 - 05/04/14
I don't consider myself to be recoil sensitive. I had one in 300 Win Mag. I traded it. I still have my K1's in 7-08 and 9.3 x 74R.

One thing to consider. On the Merkel you will have a choice of 3 settings on the backside of the trigger-guard. Lightest is 2.1 lbs. I use a Lead Sled with 40 lbs. of lead shot as weight when doing load work-up. Don't much notice the recoil and don't develop a flinch. Gives me the ability to concentrate on my "squeeze".

Usually when shooting the Merkels, it's at deer or hogs. One shot is usually all I need/get. Don't know about you, but when I quit getting excited about pulling the trigger on a game animal, I'll probably stop hunting. I'd be willing to bet you're the same way, on game you won't notice the recoil and that a 30-06 will be fine.

Best,

GWB
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Merkel K3 - 05/07/14
Originally Posted by geedubya
Don't know about you, but when I quit getting excited about pulling the trigger on a game animal, I'll probably stop hunting.

That brings to mind a story. smile I was sitting in "the pines" one evening with my 30-30 Marlin. This was my first experience with the 30-30. I shot 2 does and they dropped in their tracks, never to get up again. Then a nice 10-point buck stepped out. I got all anxious and flustered and blew a standing broadside shot at 100 yards, and the buck ran away. Funny how that works, but I wasn't laughing much then! smile
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Merkel K3 - 05/08/14
Originally Posted by shooter42
can't speak to the k3 directly but i have a blazer 95 in 30/06. it is easy to carry and handle wells. recoil with 165 grain bullets are is not bad. i found the accuracy of the rifle very good.

I have same rifle in 308

Recoil is not bad
Posted By: abbydog Re: Merkel K3 - 05/09/14
I have the K1 in 7x57R, shot it at the range only. Nicest gun I have owned.
I have had it up for sale because it sits in the safe next to a Merkel SR 1 .06 and a 7mm mag.
Posted By: John_Havard Re: Merkel K3 - 05/31/14
Is the Merkel K3 the same mechanically as the Blaser K95? If it is, why the difference in price?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Merkel K3 - 06/10/14
Originally Posted by John_Havard
Is the Merkel K3 the same mechanically as the Blaser K95? If it is, why the difference in price?

Not the same and there is a lot of difference in the aesthetics, mechanics, stock quality, receiver engraving quality and additional barrel caliber selection.

Edit: I should say that both are very similar in physical appearance and I know the Blaser and believe the Merkel are switch barrel rifles. Both are very good and accurate, as has been testified here.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Merkel K3 - 06/10/14

GWB, you might want to rethink using the Lead Sled on valuable guns like these; that is, where there is an all metal receiver fixed to a beautiful wooden pistol grip and stock. In these break-open guns, the Sled holds the stock relatively immobile obligating the pistol grip area to take on the force of recoil mostly by itself.

This can split the pistol grip and stock, or crack the fine wooden butt plate many of these guns have.

BTDT.
I don't consider myself particularly recoil sensitive, I also own and shoot a loaded down Lott and full go loads in 375 Ruger. I wouldn't want more than what I have in 7-08.

I considered a deal on a 257 Weatherby in a Stutzen, glad I didn't go in that direction.
In my mind, the length of a Stutzen barrel would be a negative when considering a Weatherby caliber. Blaser Stutzen barrels are 19.7" and that, to me, is way too short for a Weatherby.
I say all this without ever owning a Weatherby...
Originally Posted by camdog
I considered a deal on a 257 Weatherby in a Stutzen, glad I didn't go in that direction.

Talk about an ear-geschplitten louden-boomer!
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: Merkel K3 - 06/12/14
I shoot the KR1. It weighs in at 6.5 lbs without optics, the 30.06, 308 and 9.2 X 62 barrels all have moderate or at least in my opinion acceptable recoil.
© 24hourcampfire