Home
Posted By: Chappy410 Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/07/14
I am looking for a No.1 in 460 S&W. Anyone have one for sale or know where one may found.
Thanking you in advance for the help.

Thom
Posted By: tmitch Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/07/14
That's a hot commodity in Southern Michigan with the new "limited firearms deer zone" regulation. If that's your intended use for it, it's easier to buy a .45-70, trim the cases to 1.8" and seat the bullets out.
Posted By: Chappy410 Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/07/14
Originally Posted by tmitch
That's a hot commodity in Southern Michigan with the new "limited firearms deer zone" regulation. If that's your intended use for it, it's easier to buy a .45-70, trim the cases to 1.8" and seat the bullets out.

Yes, that is my intended use. I do have a couple of 45/70 lever actions and a Ruger #1 45/70. I do reload both cast lead bullets and Hornady 300gr JHP for them.
Trimming the case to 1.8 from 2.095" doesn't leave a lot of the case to hold the bullet. My seating depth on the 300gr JHP is 2.525".
Have you loaded any 45/70 cases trimmed to 1.8"? Is there any creeping of the bullet with the shortened case, any change in accuracy or point of impact? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thom
Posted By: Tackdriver22250 Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/07/14
This may still be fore sale: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger-NO-S-Medium-Sporter-S-W/1884729.uts
The 2 cases on the left are 1.8" with Speer 400gr fp and 350gr fp seated to the same OAL as the factory Remington 405gr on the right. There's plenty of case to hold them and case capacity isn't reduced. 300gr bullets probably wouldn't be long enough to get the same OAL length but the Hornady 325gr FTX is longer than all of them and would probably work great, although I haven't tried them yet. I loaded these for use in my Ruger #1 and they also fed fine through my Marlin 1895, but since they're not crimped I don't use them in it. You could probably crimp them with a Lee factory crimp die, but it might have to be modified for the short case.
I've heard this is a popular loading method in Indiana, whose rifle regulations were the model for Michigan.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ctw Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/07/14
Wondering if someone should ask the dnr about the legality of such a case after all the rifle could still fire full size 45-70 cases. I would think if the fish cop wanted to give you a hard time this would be an invitation?
Posted By: ctw Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/07/14
Went to the web sight and it really was not any clearer
What in the world is the talk about compressed air?
Rifles in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone
Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 � Nov. 9 in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone (see pg. 12) during the open season for all species, except deer, turkey,
and migratory game birds. Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger
ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of
1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches and a .35 caliber or larger air rifle
or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source (external
hand pump, air tank, or air compressor), may be used in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone when taking deer.
Hunting and trapping are exclusive rights of landowners bordering the waterway
Rifles in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone
Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 � Nov. 9 in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone (see pg. 12) during the open season for all species, except deer, turkey,
and migratory game birds. Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger
ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of
1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches and a .35 caliber or larger air rifle
or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source (external
hand pump, air tank, or air compressor), may be used in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone when taking deer.
This is what the MI DNR Hunting and Trapping digest says:

Legal firearms are as follows:
� A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
� A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
� A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.
� A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
� A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external
high-compression power source, or a muzzle-loading rifle.

Along those same lines it's legal to use a Savage muzzleloader if it's loaded with a BP sub, even though it's capable of using smokeless. I think if a "fish cop" wants to give you a hard time they seldom need an invitation, however it would be a good idea to run it by your area warden if you're unsure about it.

Whoops, I see you posted the same regs as I was typing. There are several compressed air guns capable of taking deer. Benjamin sells a .35 cal. rifle and others go up to .50 cal.
Posted By: Chappy410 Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/07/14
Originally Posted by tmitch
The 2 cases on the left are 1.8" with Speer 400gr fp and 350gr fp seated to the same OAL as the factory Remington 405gr on the right. There's plenty of case to hold them and case capacity isn't reduced. 300gr bullets probably wouldn't be long enough to get the same OAL length but the Hornady 325gr FTX is longer than all of them and would probably work great, although I haven't tried them yet. I loaded these for use in my Ruger #1 and they also fed fine through my Marlin 1895, but since they're not crimped I don't use them in it. You could probably crimp them with a Lee factory crimp die, but it might have to be modified for the short case.
I've heard this is a popular loading method in Indiana, whose rifle regulations were the model for Michigan.

[Linked Image]

tmitch,
Thanks for posting the pictures and the reloading information. How is the accuracy on the shortened cases fired in both your rifles?
Thom
Posted By: tmitch Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/08/14
I haven't really done any testing for accuracy. I did it mainly just to see IF it were feasible and only shortened & loaded 10 cases. In my #1 they worked fine and accuracy was acceptable enough to where I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer. I only ran one round through the Marlin to see if it would feed from the magazine and eject the shortened case. I didn't pursue it much further, I had too many other things going on this year. Maybe I'll take it up again next year. I think the 325gr FTX would be a good one to try.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 12/14/14
The Michigan law is half-assed written by a bunch of pencil pushers that don't know jack squat about guns. Ohio did it right by naming cartridges. The CO's here are not going to have dial calipers with them. I know many guys who load a few short dummy rounds to leave in their pocket, then use real ammo in their blind.
Posted By: vanbuzen9 Re: Ruger No.1 460 S&W - 01/14/15
Guys,

I actually sent an email to the DNR asking them if a shortened case could be used in a rifle chambered for something that would exceed the 1.8". The response I got back was, "yes, as long as the case length doesn't exceed the maximum". I printed and laminated their email response and now carry it in my pack, even though I haven't seen a DNR officer where I hunt in the 15+ years I've been hunting.
© 24hourcampfire