Home
Posted By: Dick_Wright My 2017 project... - 11/07/16
[Linked Image]

I hope to have this finished by spring so I can shoot it in matches next summer. I found the Unertl last year at a real deal and decided it needed a rifle. I started collecting parts, made pattern stocks and had them pre-carved by Charles Grace in CO. The wood is Turkish Circassian that I bought from a friend.

The gun is fairly small... it has a #2 Douglas barrel chambered in .222. I weighs 8 lb. 4 oz. with the scope. I shot it in the pattern stocks and was very pleased.

Plans are to take it to benchrest matches and occasional woodchuck hunting.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/07/16
[Linked Image]

This the pic from above. I guess that the campfire doesn't like large pics.
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: My 2017 project... - 11/07/16
Very nice!

Here's a project 222 on a No. 3 action that I completed a few years ago. It was started by J.K. Cloward; I got it as an unfinished stocked action without any internal parts. Mine shoots very well too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/08/16
Cloward made some nice rifles. He was also an excellent target shooter. You have a gem.
Posted By: fourbore Re: My 2017 project... - 11/10/16
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright
[Linked Image]

This the pic from above. I guess that the campfire doesn't like large pics.

A think of beauty. Thank you for the inspiration.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: My 2017 project... - 11/10/16
A thing of beauty and a joy forever. Nicely done.

To my eyes, a classic single shot cries out for a Unertl/Fecker/Litschert/Targetspot scope. Evidently a lot of other guys think so too, judging from the high prices they fetch these days.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My 2017 project... - 11/10/16
There are some pretty ones being made for the BPCR crowd as well. Been thinking one of the short ones would be the beans on a Navy Arms .22 Rolling Block, or even on my Low Wall Hunter .44 Mag, if I can get by my fear and loathing about drilling and tapping it.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/10/16
[Linked Image]

I was up at 5 AM today working on this. I finally got tired and quit and took this picture. I am getting the fore end near it's final shape. There's a ton more to do but I'm loving it. This piece of wood (Turkish Circassian) is turning out better than I expected.

Comments on my incredibly messy workbench are not solicited.

Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/10/16
[Linked Image]

A close-up of the fore end complete with lots of sanding dust. Note the escutcheon which covers the hole... also the widow's peak in the ebony.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/13/16
[Linked Image]

A close-up of the grip area and cheek piece after several hours more work.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: My 2017 project... - 11/15/16
Certainly a nice piece of wood.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: My 2017 project... - 11/15/16
Excellent!!!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 11/16/16
Damn. You put the cheek piece on the wrong side!

Nonetheless, a beautiful piece of wood and a wonderful action and caliber. I'll be really happy to see the finished work. Congrats on a job well done.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/22/16
[Linked Image]

I was playing with iPhoto and got this result. It shows grain popping out as I sand the wood. This is a 180 grit finish. Should be spectacular when I get to 600.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/25/16
[Linked Image]

The fore end finally has it's final shape. All that remains is final sanding and finishing. The butt stock is coming along well. I'll update when it is ready to finish. This thing is going to keep me out of bars all winter.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/26/16
[Linked Image]

This is the butt stock about ready for final sanding, raising the grain, filling and finishing.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 11/27/16
[Linked Image]

This is the whole rifle as it looks today. Lots of fine detail work to do but getting closer to putting finish on it.

This gun weighs 8 lb. four oz. with the scope, 7 lb. 4 oz. without. Surprisingly light for a varmint/target rifle.

I will probably shoot it again before it gets a bath of mineral spirits to remove any oil and stains from the wood. Then I will raise the grain, finish sand down to 600 grit and apply the first coat of finish. The last time I shot it in the pattern stocks it shot about 3/8 MOA... very good for this kind of rifle. My first benchrest competition guns were .222's (forty years ago.) and I have a pretty good idea how to make them shoot.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: My 2017 project... - 12/02/16
Thats lovely.

Beautiful workmanship!
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/05/16
[Linked Image]

A close-up of the grip area. I now have the lines about the way I want them... lots if sanding coming before I can put finish on it.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My 2017 project... - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

To my eyes, a classic single shot cries out for a Unertl/Fecker/Litschert/Targetspot scope. Evidently a lot of other guys think so too, judging from the high prices they fetch these days.

John Keats was right... cool

Exquisite workmanship, classic lines.

Don't get much better than that...

DF
[Linked Image]

A close-up of the grip area. I now have the lines about the way I want them... lots if sanding coming before I can put finish on it.

What finish are you going with?

DF
I will fill the pores with Behlens. Then I finish with McWilliams Refinishing Oil. Final coats are Gun Savr which I hand rub on. This stuff is a lot like the Arrow used to be... use very lttle finish and lots of rubbing.

The McWilliams makes the grain pop out better than anything I ever used. I went thru the process on a CZ 17 HMR that is well documented on AR in the custom guns forum.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I'm really flattered. Thanks.

The kicker is that this is my next summer's match rifle. I will be shooting it in 100 yd. benchrest matches that are held locally. It shot extremely well when I test fired it in the pattern stocks this summer... about 3/8" at 100 yds. on my range. I have shot competitive benchrest for forty years and my first guns were .222's. I have a pretty good idea how to make them shoot.
Can't wait to see the final product.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to use the spar varnish treatment many here on the Fire seem to like, not on that project, for sure.

DF

DF

The kicker is that this is my next summer's match rifle. I will be shooting it in 100 yd. benchrest matches that are held locally. It shot extremely well when I test fired it in the pattern stocks this summer... about 3/8" at 100 yds. on my range. I have shot competitive benchrest for forty years and my first guns were .222's. I have a pretty good idea how to make them shoot.

How did you handle the forearm/hanger bedding?

DF
[Linked Image]

I took this when I was test firing it on the 50/100 yd. range that is just outside my office door.

I used take-off Ruger stocks and modified them till they were the shape I wanted. Lots of Bondo. I sent the patterns and my good wood to Charlie Grace in CO. He has a duplicating machine and did the pre-carving for me.

DF

It's inletted good and tight. I'm just using the factory hanger, etc. I have the hole covered with an escutcheon. The fore end is bedded a lot tighter than it was in the factory stock. I'm crossing my fingers that it shoots as it did before.

How did you handle the forearm/hanger bedding?

DF
[Linked Image]

This is the wood, exactly as I got it back from Charlie plus the Unertl. I had him put the ebony fore end tip on for me. I have no way to do the widow's peak.

Charlie bedded the pattern stocks to the action. That makes inletting quite easy... the machine is very accurate.

Charlie bought Dale Goens duplicating machine a few years back and got all Dale's patterns. He's reasonable and I highly recommend his work. I made my own patterns... I wanted my lines, not someone else's. A lot of wood has come off since I took this pic.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My 2017 project... - 12/06/16
Would you share Charlie's contact info...

DF
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/06/16
Sure. Send me a PM and I will give you his email and phone number. Charlie is a past president of the ACGG.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/07/16
[Linked Image]

I soaked the stocks with mineral spirits to remove all prints and body oils. From now on, it will be handled with gloves only till it has the finish on it. This is the best look I've had at the grain and color.
[Linked Image]

The fore end with the mineral spirits.
[Linked Image]

I won't touch this for a day to let the mineral spirits get really dry. Whilst it's in the vise I shot this as a study in lines. If I'm going to change anything, now is the time.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My 2017 project... - 12/07/16
Nice!

Are you gonna checker it?

DF
Charlie is going to checker it and rust blue it for me after the stock is finished.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My 2017 project... - 12/08/16
Now, that's gonna be NICE...

What pattern are you thinking about?

DF
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/08/16
A very simple point pattern. The wood is fancy enough that the gun will need no more embellishment. When Charlie was here I told him I didn't even care if he wrapped the fore end pattern all the way around.

I would really like to get it engraved but old age and finances will make that impossible.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My 2017 project... - 12/08/16
It'll look great with rust blue, no engraving.

I agree with a simple pattern.

That's gonna be super, simple elegance, not over done.

Look forward to finished photos.

DF
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/10/16
[Linked Image]

I wet the stocks down yesterday to raise the grain. I've spent all morning dry sanding to remove the whiskers, most of the time working on the cheekpiece. I've taken lots of breaks... at this stage a slip can be a major disaster. Doing this right requires just the right amount of coffee (shaking is bad), no hangover, a steady hand and a clear conscience. I'm not quite done yet.

I took this w/o flash. This is how I work on it... the shadow lines tell you how you are doing.

When this is done I will use Behlen's waterbase to fill the pores. Then it's more sanding with 220 grit, a final sanding with 400 and then, finally, I will put finish on it.
Posted By: SBMcWilliams Re: My 2017 project... - 12/10/16
Agree with Dirt Farmer simple elegance is timeless. The craftsmanship, wood and finish on this gun will be amazing. Nothing worse than gaudy..... wisdom knows when to stop.

SB
[Linked Image]

I was up at 5 AM today working on this. I finally got tired and quit and took this picture. I am getting the fore end near it's final shape. There's a ton more to do but I'm loving it. This piece of wood (Turkish Circassian) is turning out better than I expected.

A clean work bench is like a clean honey jar -- not nearly as useful as it could be.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 12/17/16
Like the others, I'm anxious to see more photos as progress continues.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/18/16
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
[Linked Image]

A clean work bench is like a clean honey jar -- not nearly as useful as it could be.

I will send this out to Charlie Grace shortly after the first of the year... I hope. I have promised myself that I will clean up this mess whilst I wait for it to come back. Due to old age and the fact that I was seriously sick all last winter I have a very limited amount of ambition. (Didn't work on this for about six months.) Now I am devoting almost all my energy to working on the gun. Due to this mess I spend half my time looking for things that would be easy to find if I were organized.

This gun is being made for something other than to look at and brag about... Next summer it is going to be used to shoot competitively in the matches we have scheduled at the local club. That means that when I get it back I will have to do load work-up and practice before the matches start. I really need to get it to Charlie soonish if this is to happen. Time to quit screwing off at the computer and get some finish on the stocks.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/18/16
[Linked Image]

I took this when I was test firing it on the 50/100 yd. range that is just outside my office door.

I used take-off Ruger stocks and modified them till they were the shape I wanted. Lots of Bondo. I sent the patterns and my good wood to Charlie Grace in CO. He has a duplicating machine and did the pre-carving for me.

When I shot it in the pattern stocks I shot groups under 2/10" at 50 yds. and under 4/10" at 100 yds. This with no load work-up at all. This is why I think that, with some tinkering, I can be competitive shooting against contempory rifles... we'll see.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/24/16
[Linked Image]

Yesterday I put the first coat of finish on the stocks. Here is the butt stock. I shot it first with flash and got a washed out picture. This is without flash and it's pretty close to the actual color.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 12/24/16
[Linked Image]

This taken after the second coat of McWilliams Alkanet Refinishing Oil.
Posted By: cotis Re: My 2017 project... - 12/31/16
Awesome! Please keep updating with its progress!
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: My 2017 project... - 12/31/16
That is REALLY looking good Dick!

I really like the lines on it!

Have you considered color case hardening the receiver?

Beautiful!

Happy New Year Sir!

Todd
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/01/17
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
That is REALLY looking good Dick!

I really like the lines on it!

Have you considered color case hardening the receiver?

Beautiful!

Happy New Year Sir!

Todd

No case coloring. I really like the subtle case coloring that Winchester put on the old single shots. Most of today's case coloring is a bit too much for me. Chuck Grace is going to rust blue it for me.

I'm now on my sixth coat of the McWilliams finish. Every one seems to bring out more color and grain. A few more coats and my new safety which is coming next week and it will be on its way to Colorado and Charlie.

I'm getting kinda attached to this gun. Not happy about having it gone for a couple of months.

I'd really like just a little subtle engraving on it. But the only guy that ever did some for me was Jack Haugh who was both good and quick. Alas, Jack is no longer available. The first match I'm going to shoot this in is near the end of April and there's just no time.

Charlie Grace and I go back forty years or so. He was here in October and promised to have it back to me so I can shoot it before the matches. I've shot in competition since I got out of college. This may not be competitive with modern bench guns but, based on my shooting of it so far, it will probably do a lot better than you think.
[Linked Image]

One side of the butt stock after six hand rubbed coats of McWilliams Alkanet Refinishing Oil. It's starting to get a little lustre.
[Linked Image]

The other side after six coats.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: My 2017 project... - 01/01/17
Dick,

You, sir, are an artist. A very good artist. That is beautiful work and I thank you for sharing this with us.

I can't wait to see your load development results. grin

Ed
Posted By: ryoushi Re: My 2017 project... - 01/01/17
Stunning! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: My 2017 project... - 01/01/17
Dick,

There is an engraver up here in Montana named Brian Gouse. I think he is in the Columbia Falls area, Northwestern Montana...

I can't find his contact info, but he is good, fast and VERY reasonably priced.

With a little Google-Foo I'm sure you could see some of his work and his contact info.

Todd
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/03/17
[Linked Image]

Another day... another coat of finish. Here is the whole rifle held in my vise whilst it is drying. Getting closer.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/11/17
[Linked Image]

I ground and filed down a factory safety and had Kip Wood down at Central Michigan Gunsmithing checker it for me.

I like the way this looks much better than the factory one. The edges are a little sharp but I can take care of that easily. Soon to be polished and rust blued by Chuck Grace.
Posted By: texasjohn Re: My 2017 project... - 01/11/17
Dick,
Great work, your rifle is a wonderful piece of shooting art - I like everything about it. I have enjoyed very much following your builds and I appreciate you taking the time to post pictures. These are my favorite threads. I like the safety better than anything available after market. I have seen a similar one that was narrowed and then recessed into the tang (by Wayne Baker). A friend of mine owns that rifle and I have tried to buy it several times.

Best
John
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/12/17
John,

Thanks. I wanted a recessed safety but didn't want to wait. This gun has a twofold purpose... I want it to look good but I also want it to shoot well. We have 100 yd. centerfire benchrest matches here and this is the only rifle I have that is remotely suitable. They start in April so time is a factor. I've shot competitively ever since I got out of college and want to continue as long as I am able.

Re: posting... I was a Precision Shooting writer for twenty-one years and I really miss it. Since the magazine went out of business I have been stocking rifles and doing these threads as sort of an outlet for my need to write.

This goes to Charlie soon. I will then wait on pins and needles till it comes back. When it does I will spend as much time as I can, weather permitting, doing load work-up before season starts. It shot 3/8 MOA when I tested it. If I can make it do 1/4 MOA I think I can be competitive in the class I will compete in. Since everybody else will have real bench guns I have my work cut out for me. I do have my 50 and 100 yd. range just outside my office door so that's convenient.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/12/17

I agree. There's something about these old target scopes. When I got out of school I scraped all my pennies together and bought a M52 Win and a 1" 10X Unertl target to shoot in local rimfire matches. That was fifty-five+ years ago. I've owned many, many Unertls over the years and still love them.

I'm thinking about getting this bumped to 12X and having a 1/2 MOA dot installed. Ackermans want $300.00 to do it and I'm concerned about the wait. I'll probably wait till next winter for that.
Posted By: gaperry59 Re: My 2017 project... - 01/13/17
John,

Thanks. I wanted a recessed safety but didn't want to wait. This gun has a twofold purpose... I want it to look good but I also want it to shoot well. We have 100 yd. centerfire benchrest matches here and this is the only rifle I have that is remotely suitable. They start in April so time is a factor. I've shot competitively ever since I got out of college and want to continue as long as I am able.

Re: posting... I was a Precision Shooting writer for twenty-one years and I really miss it. Since the magazine went out of business I have been stocking rifles and doing these threads as sort of an outlet for my need to write.

This goes to Charlie soon. I will then wait on pins and needles till it comes back. When it does I will spend as much time as I can, weather permitting, doing load work-up before season starts. It shot 3/8 MOA when I tested it. If I can make it do 1/4 MOA I think I can be competitive in the class I will compete in. Since everybody else will have real bench guns I have my work cut out for me. I do have my 50 and 100 yd. range just outside my office door so that's convenient.

Dick, I used to faithfully read Precision Shooting and your articles. I really miss them both.
Posted By: 1minute Re: My 2017 project... - 01/14/17
That will be sweet looking when finished. Great OEM wood on many, but seems the fit is always a bit proud. I'd like a similar one in 22LR for ground squirrels.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/15/17
Originally Posted by 1minute
That will be sweet looking when finished. Great OEM wood on many, but seems the fit is always a bit proud. I'd like a similar one in 22LR for ground squirrels.

Me too. I'd really like to make a No. 1 into a .22... Maybe a No. 3. The actions are a tad larger than needed for a rimfire. I guess the only way to get a smaller action would be to buy a Hagn... can't afford one... maybe a low wall. Ideas ?????

My guns don't just sit in a gun cabinet. I shoot them. Rimfires are a lot more fun to shoot than .458's.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Dick,

You, sir, are an artist. A very good artist. That is beautiful work and I thank you for sharing this with us.

I can't wait to see your load development results. grin

Ed

I have most all the reloading equipment required to load and shoot. I'll use IMR 4895 and Federal 205 or 205M's to start. After the cases are fired a couple of times I should be able to get around 25+ grains into them. (You can't get enough 4895 in a .222 case to get excessive pressure.) I'll seat the bullets into a hard jam to start. They will be moly coated.

Experience has taught me that the more 4895 I can use, the better a duece shoots. When I can settle on the amount of powder, I will experiment with seating depth. I will probably end up within .005" of the full jam. I will be shooting real benchrest bullets, probably Bart's, maybe Bergers. I ordered a barrel with a 14" twist especially for the 52 gr. BR bullets.

I will use only what I call a "Chamber die" for FL sizing... no expander button. I have 100 Lapua Match Cases to start. This gun has a SAAMI chamber so the only neck turning I will do will be to eliminate any run out in the case neck thickness. With the Lapua cases, very little is necessary, usually less than .0005".

After I get a few cases that have been fired three times, I am going to call Neil Jones and see if he will sell me one of his FL dies only... (No seater... I already have a good seater.) They are the best available if you want absolutely straight cases coming out of the die. I'm talking neck-to-body run out of .0002" or less.

FWIW, back when I was shooting a lot of competition and writing about it in Precision Shooting, a major bullet manufacturer offerred to sponsor me for a season... all their BR bullets I needed for a season, if I would use them and write about them. I tried them extensively and they would shoot no better than 3/8". I could do better than .150" average groups with Bart's. I respectfully declined.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 01/15/17
Please keep going. I'm learning much from this thread and it is greatly appreciated .
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Please keep going. I'm learning much from this thread and it is greatly appreciated .

When I get the gun back from Charlie and can shoot (Weather... it's Michigan.) I will report what I'm doing (complete with targets) and why if people are interested.

Forty years ago this year I went to my first benchrest match. At that time I figured I knew everything there was to know about reloading. By the end of the match I found that I knew nothing. Been learning ever since.

Posted By: redz06 Re: My 2017 project... - 01/15/17
I think most will enjoy the No.1 in a rimfire cartridge, whatever model No.1 they favor. Feels like a rifle and shoots well. All steel and wood, feels great in the hand.

I have built two rimfire No.1 conversions myself, a No.1B with a Shilen barrel and a No.1A with a sleeved(Redman) barrel. Both look like the factory centerfire, hard to tell until you open the breech.

Not a lot to the modification to rimfire, I prefer much the moving of the firing pin in the breechblock myself. Fully supported chamber with a extractor/ejector that is basically a factory centerfire type with its hook ground off and replaced with a longer blade type hook. This type of extractor hook is used in most rimfire rifles/pistols of today's offerings; so is nothing new. The 22lr and other rimfires; as one knows requires a fully supported chamber because of their case.

One can sleeve and plug a factory barrel or just purchase a #2 or #4 contour from Shilen that fits the respective forearms without mods to forearm. One of course, has to monitor the exact cut of the breech area to do such a fit; but is doable with ease.

No real need for the recoil pins in the quarter rib, one can just fill with the old studs, 4 screws is plenty in my opinion.

If one sleeves a factory barrel, the quarter rib rear will have to be shortened slightly as the factory barrel is set back a turn to close up the breechblock to barrel face centerfire dimension to the rimfire gapspace criteria.

When lowering the firing pin position to 6 oclock, I like it just inside the rim, remember to measure the exact distance you need on "your" action. One can use a slightly oversized stepped bushing for the firing pin support that has the capability of an offset hole if one misses the measurement slightly. Said bushing can be secured in a lot of ways.

The existing firing centefire pin can be reused shortened to rimfire protrusion specs.

I used a Bentz reamer in my two rifles which will allow most ammo to be used. I tried using a Freeland reamer, but was much too tight for some of my bulk ammo. One thing about custom, one can choose the reamer/ammo of the day to suit. Headspace can be set to a minimum dimension in conjunction of a minimum breechblock face to barrel face dimension.

My rifles in a five shot group at 25yds will allow the following four to touch the first, so was good enough for me, for now anyway.

I would like to get around to some ideas presented to me by folks using a shrouded barrel in conjunction with a multi firing pin to see the accuracy that they are getting in benchrest matches; just no time to do so yet.

I hear about the No.1 action being too big for rimfire, but all in the eye of the beholder I guess; I like a full sized rifle, easy to hold and all of that stuff. Light is nice, but has its issues as does the other end of the stick.

I hope you all will continue to think about the building of a no.1 in rimfire, perhaps even a switch barrel affair. I have found that these conversions are my favorite to take out anymore. I just cannot think of a more pleasureable rifle.

A rimfire no.1 is a real hoot. Nothing to build really, any gunsmith that understands basic rimfire breeching can execute one for you if you do not do your own work. Just go do it.

Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 01/17/17
wow. For those of us who are not ever going to be accused of being a gunsmith, this is really cool and I, for one, greatly appreciate it.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/19/17
Redz06,

I'm working on getting a gun to start the .22 project. I just heard that an old friend who has some No. 1's and No.3's for sale. I need a gun before I can get going. I don't do my own work but there is a ACGG guy here in Michigan who is really good at this conversion.

On .22 LR accuracy... You need to buy the really expensive stuff or you will get flyers. Trust me... I shot rimfire benchrest for several years. I have spent a lot of time testing rimfire ammo amd it's either $20.00 a box or a few shots leak out of your groups.

Dick
[Linked Image]

The gun will be on it's way to Colorado shortly. I took this pic of the whole gun complete with scope just as a reminder.

Not artfully posed but I have a problem getting the entire gun in a pic. Guns aren't shaped like cameras are formated.
Posted By: redz06 Re: My 2017 project... - 01/19/17
Dick,

I shot benchrest myself in the central region mainly in the 90's. Learned more in those years than the rest of my life in rifles. Twas a tough crowd, but none so forthright in giving knowledge/expertise......absolutely freely; no strings of any kind. Once you shoot a benchrest rifle, things are different sorta speak, which I am sure you experienced as well.

I really did not think of building a No.1 for benchrest/or other accuracy competitions, lots of things going against it, but can see how that would be the fun part; now that we have done most everything conventional. I hear some guys in the NW doing pretty good in rimfire matches with a specialized No.1, multi pins, shrouded short barrels, etc. I too enjoy the fun stuff, but have to admit, lots of things against the no.1 for real competition............do I really care, not much.....fun/knowledge/technique are the real drivers anymore. Lots of different aspects of fine rifles, takes time to enjoy them all.

I hear you about ammo in rimfire accuracy, but the more everyday aspects of rifles are kinda fun too. Guess tis why the service teams buy the multi pallets of 22lr to test in their Mann's.

I suspect that if your boy is in the ACGG, he probably knows how. I hope that you will hold to a supported chamber approach; all in all, not a lot to the conversion; most gunsmiths can do it if worth their salt.

I enjoy accurate rifles just like everyone else, but at my age and tenor; just is not everything for me anymore. Gotta have something different or something that some said I could not do on my own. I asked around for years on how to do a No.1 rimfire or who would do one for me...........zero response or worse.....so traded a rifle for an old lathe, and the rimfire project began.........slowly..........learning the lathe on your own without help is not overly easy, but now am comfortable in doing most things that way.

I hope you will find time for the rimfire conversion on a no.1, I think that you will be come fascinated with it.
I started shooting competitively in 1961, just out of school. I competed seriously in BR starting in 1977. I'll be 80 by the time I get to shoot this next April. When I test fired this I was very surprised at the groups... averaged 3/8" at 100 yds. with no load work-up at all. The Kepplinger trigger helps hugely. My first two bench guns were .222's so I do have some experience making them shoot.

The test firing was done in the pattern stocks. The new fore end is bedded very tightly. I'm hoping it shoots as well as it did in the patterns. If it doesn't I will modify it till it does, even if it requires making another fore end.

I've shot competitively most of my life and will do so till I am no longer able. I just like going to matches and everything that goes with it. I will be elated if I can be sort of competitive with this gun. At this stage of life it's not all about winning... I've done that.
[Linked Image]

Probably the last pic before it goes to Colorado. This will be it's natural habitat when I get it back.

I'm probably going to have to turn the front rest around to make it easy to load whilst shooting... the rear leg is in the way of the lever. That shouldn't pose a problem.
Posted By: micky Re: My 2017 project... - 01/19/17
I am about to dip my toes in refinishing a stock. You listed what you used earlier in the thread. Could you go into more detail on the steps please?

Thank you.
Micky
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/20/17
The rear bag in the above pic is the first Gator Head bag Jack Snyder of Edgewood Bags ever made. He made it to my drawing and, has since, included it in his line of products. It fill iit with 30 lbs. of heavy sand. As an old benchrest shooter, I firmly believe in heavy rests.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by micky
I am about to dip my toes in refinishing a stock. You listed what you used earlier in the thread. Could you go into more detail on the steps please?

Thank you.
Micky

Micky,

I haven't refinished a stock since the 70's. You have to take it down to bare wood. Use wet-and-dry silicon carbide sand paper, the black stuff. I start with 80 grit and end up with 400. Use sanding blocks... many different shapes of sanding blocks so you don't round off sharp edges. Then use as many coats of the McWillaims Alkanet Refinishing Oil as you need to get the desired gloss.

That's the way I would do it now. Be very careful and good luck.

Dick
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/21/17
Originally Posted by redz06
Dick,

I shot benchrest myself in the central region mainly in the 90's. Learned more in those years than the rest of my life in rifles. Twas a tough crowd, but none so forthright in giving knowledge/expertise......absolutely freely; no strings of any kind. Once you shoot a benchrest rifle, things are different sorta speak, which I am sure you experienced as well.

I really did not think of building a No.1 for benchrest/or other accuracy competitions, lots of things going against it, but can see how that would be the fun part; now that we have done most everything conventional. I hear some guys in the NW doing pretty good in rimfire matches with a specialized No.1, multi pins, shrouded short barrels, etc. I too enjoy the fun stuff, but have to admit, lots of things against the no.1 for real competition............do I really care, not much.....fun/knowledge/technique are the real drivers anymore. Lots of different aspects of fine rifles, takes time to enjoy them all.

I hear you about ammo in rimfire accuracy, but the more everyday aspects of rifles are kinda fun too. Guess tis why the service teams buy the multi pallets of 22lr to test in their Mann's.

I suspect that if your boy is in the ACGG, he probably knows how. I hope that you will hold to a supported chamber approach; all in all, not a lot to the conversion; most gunsmiths can do it if worth their salt.

I enjoy accurate rifles just like everyone else, but at my age and tenor; just is not everything for me anymore. Gotta have something different or something that some said I could not do on my own. I asked around for years on how to do a No.1 rimfire or who would do one for me...........zero response or worse.....so traded a rifle for an old lathe, and the rimfire project began.........slowly..........learning the lathe on your own without help is not overly easy, but now am comfortable in doing most things that way.

I hope you will find time for the rimfire conversion on a no.1, I think that you will be come fascinated with it.

You and I are on the same page re: benchrest in the 90's. I would never have thought of a No. 1 as a BR rifle till it shot so well in test firing with the pattern stocks. The Kepplinger trigger is a huge asset. Fought No. 1 triggers for too many years.

The Michigan ACGG guy is Steve Durren. I've been told he's the best No. 1 in the country. We'll be visiting him this winter. He's a competition shooter who uses an elegant high wall that he made in black powder competition. I have one pic of his high wall... lovely.

I have a line on two No. 1's, one that I will probably get and another that I really should. I have in mind a petite .22 squirrel rifle for carrying in the woods... seven lbs. prox with scope. I have the time to do it but getting the funds into my slush fund will slow things down. The metal work will be expensive. I will use my pattern for the butt stock (I really like the lines.) and a much smaller fore end.

Starting a project is fun... especially for an old guy.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/21/17
[Linked Image]

This is Steven Durren's high wall that he uses in black powder competition. These are the best lines I've ever seen on a high wall... very hard to do. I've tried to do a couple of them and was spectacularily unsuccessfull.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/23/17
[Linked Image]

The simple sketch I sent Charle re: the checkering pattern.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 01/27/17
Charlie called... the gun is now safely in Colorado and in his hands. I should get it back in a couple of months or less. By then there should be a few days warm enough to shoot it. Making this thing is just stage one of my job... Next I have to make it shoot well enough so I'm not too embarrassed at matches next summer.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 02/01/17
[Linked Image]

I shot this just before I packed everything up and sent it to Colorado, including the sketch. showing Charley what I wanted re: checkering pattern.

Charley called a few days ago... the gun arrived safely and he will proceed forthwith.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My 2017 project... - 02/03/17
Dick that a great rifle you have there. I don't have your skills that's why I write checks to Kip:). It makes me want another single shot and he has a Low Wall barreled in 17 if I recall correctly. It might be time to add another rifle. He did a spectacular job on a #1 for me a couple of years ago and several since. I feel inspired, thanks.....I think:)
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 02/05/17
I saw one of your guns at Kip's.

Hopefully you can see this one at the ICSC this summer. Right now everything's on track for having it done and ready to shoot before the first match in April. I'm getting all the loading and cleaning stuff ready to use when the gun gets back from Charlie.

Alas, I can't find my ball mike in this mess. I need it so I can neck turn the cases just enough to totally eliminate any case neck wall thickness run-out. The cases are Lapua Match so there should be very little... in my experience with PPC brass less than .0005".
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My 2017 project... - 02/05/17
I'm only 5min from there. When your going to shoot let me know. I have never done the egg matches but have thought about it some.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 02/07/17
I am planning on attending all the centerfire BR matches and all the egg shoots right now. Barring health problems or unavoidable conflicts, I will be there.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 02/17/17
[Linked Image]

Whilst I wait for the gun to come back, I am preparing brass and moly coating bullets so I can shoot when it arrives. I neck-turned the 100 pieces of brass just enough to eliminate any run-out in neck wall thickness.

This is the loading bench which is in my office and only a few feet (literally) from my shooting bench and range that are just outside the door.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 03/01/17
[Linked Image]

While I'm waiting for the gun to come back from Colorado, I'm moly coating any bullets that I might use in competition. There will be a lot of testing to see what shoots best. These are 52 gr. match bullets made by Jimmy Carpenter. I, also, have Bart's and quite a few of the original Remington match bullets from the Mike Walker era. They will all be pretty, shiny silver when the gun gets here.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 03/04/17
Dick, I am really enjoying this thread. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 03/05/17
Dick, I am really enjoying this thread. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Glad you like it. I'm coating more bullets and waiting for the gun to arrive. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I have everything except a FL BR die which Neil Jones is making.

I heard from Chuck Grace and he is working on the gun... Bluing, checkering and correcting my mistakes. Really anxious to see it.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 03/22/17
Spring arrived in Michigan Tuesday. We have a 15 acre lake on our property and the ice is breaking up. I saw two eagles circling the open water yesterday looking for fish. The weather next week promises to be even warmer...

Charlie promised me pictures of the checkering this week. I will post same when I get them. The gun should, then, arrive sometime in the next couple of weeks. Then I will shoot on nice days and try to get it ready for our first benchrest match, scheduled for late April.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 03/28/17
[Linked Image]

The stocks are now being checkered.

I have a match to shoot this in next month... Coming closer.
Posted By: CraigD Re: My 2017 project... - 03/29/17
Dick, I have really enjoyed your 222 #1 project rifle. I too miss PS and your articles in it. Where else would i have heard of jack pine savages...

I spoke with you on the phone many years ago when I was having Kelbly's build me a LV rifle. Thanks for your advice!

Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 03/30/17
Craig,

Thanks. I miss PS as much as anybody. Health problems and old age have slowed down my BR shooting a lot. My last real bench gun to go was a Kelbly LV.

I can shoot the Ruger in factory class in the local matches and I'm thankful to be able to do that.

Good luck,

Dick
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 04/01/17
[Linked Image]

Charlie Grace checkering the butt stock. Ed Lundberg photo.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 04/25/17
I just heard that Charlie is under the weather. My gun is nearly done and he's too sick to finish it right now. I'm waiting....
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 04/28/17
[Linked Image]

Charlie seems to have recovered. He sent me these pics of the pistol grip checkering.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 04/28/17
[Linked Image]

The other side of the checkering.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 04/28/17
Oh boy...
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 05/23/17
[Linked Image]

Chuck Grace sent me this photo taken when he was laying out the checkering pattern for the fore end.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 05/31/17
[Linked Image]

The fore end checkering almost done. Chuck said he could ship the rifle this week.
Posted By: jk16 Re: My 2017 project... - 06/01/17
Thats good news!
Looking forward to pics of the completed rifle and your load workup!
Posted By: mooshoo Re: My 2017 project... - 06/01/17
You Sir are an artist! that rifle is a masterpiece!
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/03/17
[Linked Image]

I got this from Chuck Grace this morning. Everything is now done. The gun will be assembled and shipped Monday the 5th.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/04/17
[Linked Image]

This will be a much nicer picture...

Chuck Grace put the gun together today and sent me this picture. To be shipped 2nd day air tomorrow..

Gonna be a busy week... I have a match to shoot this in Saturday.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 06/05/17
wow. I'm sure the rifle will be even better looking in person than it is on film. Very nice. Thanks for taking us along.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/08/17
Hey, I'm only halfway there. So far I'm happy with the way it looks. However, from day one this was intended to be a match rifle to be shot in matches. We have really good 100 yd. benchrest matches at the Isabella County Sportsmans Club in Winn, Mi, just a pleasant drive thru the boonies for me. We shoot both full house bench guns and, also, have a factory class that allows shooters to shoot their Rem. and Savage .223's. Winners in both classes get the same prizes, etc.

This shot great last year in the pattern stocks. I'm totally ready and when the gun gets here today, I will immediately clean the barrel, sight it in and shoot groups. I've been lighting candles, making sacrifices (The wife got really mad about the cat.) and praying fervently that it shoots in the new stocks. Whatever, tomorrow night, it and all my benchrest stuff will be loaded in the Porsche and ready to leave early Saturday morning. I will probably be fire forming brass Saturday at the match with Remington's old load of 23-1/2 gr. of 4895. I don't expect to wiin anything but, after the sickness of the last three years, just being there and shooting will be wonderful.

I'll try to get a few pictures when I get the gun and, also, take a couple at the match Sat. Next week will be devoted to serious load work-up as I try to find out just how well I can make it shoot. I have a good, protected 50 and 100 yd. range right here outside my office door. It's been there for twenty years and it makes this sort of thing a lot easier.

I've been tracking the gun on UPS and it should be on the truck for delivery in the next hour or two.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/08/17
[Linked Image]

The gun arrived the afternoon. Better pictures coming.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/09/17
[Linked Image]

A better pic of the rifle, now completed, sitting in it's rests, it's intended home.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/09/17
[Linked Image]

Another view. The wood is actually darker than this. The flash washed out the color.
Posted By: jk16 Re: My 2017 project... - 06/09/17
It turned out beautifully. And I am sure will shoot just as well:)

One thing I did not notice earlier was the amount of fiddleback running across the buttstock.

Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/11/17
[Linked Image]

Taken at the gun's first match yesterday. I had only had it for two days so I was fire forming brass. Will have better results when the brass is fire formed three times and I have had time to do load work-up.

It's been quite a while since I could shoot. I was just delighted to be there. Note the old Porsche in the background with the handicapped plates... there's room in the back for all my shooting stuff.
Posted By: SKane Re: My 2017 project... - 06/11/17
Dick-

Excellent thread - thanks for sharing.
Gorgeous rifle - very, very well done!
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by jk16
It turned out beautifully. And I am sure will shoot just as well:)

One thing I did not notice earlier was the amount of fiddleback running across the buttstock.

There's a ton of fiddleback on the cheekpiece side of the butt stock. As time goes by I will get better pictures.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by SKane
Dick-

Excellent thread - thanks for sharing.
Gorgeous rifle - very, very well done!

Thanks... I have a ton of work remaining. I need to make it shoot up to it's potential. There's also some detail work to be done on the stock. The butt plate doesn't fit perfectly. I can fix that. I am going to hand run a couple of coats of final finish on it before I pronounce it done.

Most of the work remaining will be the fire forming and load work-up. I have lots of bullets and powder and a 50 and 100 yd. range right outside my door. It's gonna be fun.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/14/17
[Linked Image]

I took this today whilst doing my second fire forming and load work-up. The bench is handy, just outside my office. So far, my best load seems to be IMR 4895 and the old Remington benchrest bullets. I moly coat all my competiton bullets.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 06/18/17
[Linked Image]

After shooting it a few days I decided to hand rub some finish on the stock. Here it is drying in the vise for a couple of days whilst I clean and size my cases. There is another match next Saturday and I hope to be much better prepared.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 07/04/17
[Linked Image]

Try again. This is the first image I uploaded to Imgur. The best picture of the completed rifle.
Posted By: WillARights Re: My 2017 project... - 07/04/17

Wow! Outstanding DW.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 07/05/17
[Linked Image]

From day one this gun was intended to shoot in matches. This is the first target from the first match I shot it in. The range was 100 yds. I kinda yanked on the trigger on target one with bad results. The rest are O.K. This is a small gun, just 8-1/4 lbs. with scope. I'm competing against heavy and expensive BR guns... So far, I'm happy.

I've had some health problems the last few years... much better now. Hopefully as I do load work-up and practice I will get better.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 08/10/17
It's been over a month since I shot the above target and I've learned a lot. First, if you are not really fussy how the Unertl is mounted you will shoot like a blithering idiot... been there, done that. The guy in Ohio, the former Unertl employee, coached me a bit and that problem is cured.

Good news... I have found that Isreali 2015, made only in 1990 and 1991, works very well in this cartridge. Really good news since I have a good supply of it. It meters well thru my Jones measure. I haven't chronographed it yet but am guessing that it gives me more velocity than the IMR 4895 that I had been using.

The bad news... since, due to health reasons and old age, I haven't shot much competition the last few years, I really need a lot of practice to catch up. Even with a gun that shoots much better than I have any right to expect, I can still screw up badly. (Remember... this ain't no bench gun, it's an 8-1/4 lb. Ruger No. 1.) I shot in a match last week and, again, made a complete arse of myself. The wind was howling and I simply couldn't handle it. During a short calm, I found that I was much smarter than in a 20 mph wind.

On the whole, I'm happy with the results of a very long project. I wanted and got a 50's or 60's varmint rifle. The aesthetics and workmanship are what I wanted. The wood is excellent. It is now accurate enough to give me the opportunity to get off my butt and work hard enough to shoot in a manner that won't be embarrassing.

I'm still thinking about asking the local rancher if I can pop a couple of his ground hogs...
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 08/10/17
[Linked Image]

The other side of the Ruger.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 08/10/17
I see it this way, Dick. You are in the arena and are competing. Another man might just be content to observe. You will see your skills return and your improvement will be consistent. Added to that, you have a beautiful rifle that anyone would want to own as well as a fan club on the campfire. I see nothing but positives here.

Good luck and good shooting.
Posted By: GuyM Re: My 2017 project... - 08/10/17

I'm still thinking about asking the local rancher if I can pop a couple of his ground hogs...

Beautiful rifle that shoots very well. I think any local rancher would be happy to see you and that rifle clearing out a few varmints!

Congrats on your efforts, particularly on getting back into competition!

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 08/11/17
Thanks, guys. I really love competing, even just being able to go to a match. And I am really welcome at our matches... mostly because I stop and pick up a couple of boxes of donuts from Cops and Doughnuts, Clare's world famous business and the makers of wonderful products. Since I am a long-time diabetic, that place will eventually kill me.
Posted By: Ruger77Shooter Re: My 2017 project... - 08/13/17
What a beautiful rifle! You have every right to be proud of it. No downside to your situation (other than the diabetes sucks. I'm right there with you though)
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 09/12/17
In the interest of full disclosure I need to update this... I have found that the gun shoots very well out of a clean, cold barrel. However, once the barrel heats up, it starts throwing bullets all over the place. I've had shots go out into the black on the targets like the one shown above.

I went to a black powder silhouette match Sunday just to see Steve Durren who is a member of the ACGG. I've been told that Steve is probably the best Ruger No. 1 man in the country. I showed Steve the gun and he made several suggestions re: what I could do to improve the situation. It obviously wants to shoot well and it obviously shoots badly as soon as the barrel heats up. This points to a fore end bedding problem. In the next week I will do everything Steve told me to do and see how it works. If you look at the target above, my first few shots made a very small group. However, the succeeding targets got worse and worse.

My main purpose in building this rifle was to shoot it in matches. It looks like I have a lot more work to go.
[Linked Image]

This is the high wall Steve Durren was shooting in the match Sunday. I've been collecting custom rifles since I got out of college and this is simply the best custom high wall I've ever seen. It's hard to get the lines of a high wall just right and this one is perfect. It has wonderful wood and elegant engraving... truly a gun to lust for. From what I saw Sunday, it also shoots.

This is the only picture I have of this gun. If I had more brains, I would have taken my camera with me.
[Linked Image]

From day one this gun was intended to shoot in matches. This is the first target from the first match I shot it in. The range was 100 yds. I kinda yanked on the trigger on target one with bad results. The rest are O.K. This is a small gun, just 8-1/4 lbs. with scope. I'm competing against heavy and expensive BR guns... So far, I'm happy.

I've had some health problems the last few years... much better now. Hopefully as I do load work-up and practice I will get better.

FWIW the firing order on this target was two in the sighter bull, then target 5, 4 and 1, 2 and three. The first shots would have made an excellent group, especially for a 8-1/4 lb. rifle with an 8X scope. I honestly think that, when I get the fore end inletted perfectly, iit will shoot much better than any No. 1 I've ever had.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My 2017 project... - 09/12/17
Dick, that is certainly a beautiful high wall. If you were beginning all over again, would you stay with a #1 or would you investigate a Low Wall for your 222?
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: My 2017 project... - 09/12/17
Beautiful rifle and good shooting.

I see you have a Kepplinger trigger; have you tried shooting the rifle with the trigger set, and unset? I find that sometimes, some of my rifles shoot just as well, if not better when unset. Hard to figure, but may relate to the increased lock time and "bump" of the trigger when set.

Also, did you put a lighter "speed hammer" in the rifle? This will almost certainly shrink groups a bit, and certainly won't hurt your group size.

I'll defer to Steve Durren on the fore-end inletting advice. I'm sure he mentioned that the amount of pressure/contact at the fore-end/receiver face can be critical. A few thousands space between the fore-end and lower receiver "extension" can often solve a lot of frustrating flyer issues.

Good luck. A rifle of that quality in 222 Rem. should be shooting X's on a regular basis. ;-)
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 09/14/17
Dick, that is certainly a beautiful high wall. If you were beginning all over again, would you stay with a #1 or would you investigate a Low Wall for your 222?

I've tried stocking a couple of high and low walls with poor results. The angle at which the grip comes down from the reciever has always thrown me a curve. I've never been able to make it look just right. I literally sold both projects to some one else, unfinished, who was less fussy than I, and they finished them up. That's why I like Steve's gun so much... he made it come out perfectly.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: My 2017 project... - 09/14/17
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
Beautiful rifle and good shooting.

I see you have a Kepplinger trigger; have you tried shooting the rifle with the trigger set, and unset? I find that sometimes, some of my rifles shoot just as well, if not better when unset. Hard to figure, but may relate to the increased lock time and "bump" of the trigger when set.

Also, did you put a lighter "speed hammer" in the rifle? This will almost certainly shrink groups a bit, and certainly won't hurt your group size.

I'll defer to Steve Durren on the fore-end inletting advice. I'm sure he mentioned that the amount of pressure/contact at the fore-end/receiver face can be critical. A few thousands space between the fore-end and lower receiver "extension" can often solve a lot of frustrating flyer issues.

Good luck. A rifle of that quality in 222 Rem. should be shooting X's on a regular basis. ;-)

The Kepplinger trigger is set at a nice, crispy 2 lbs. (unset) and works well. However, this gun's purpose in life is match shooting and the few oz. set trigger works better. This is my 41st year of benchrest competition, mostly spent using 1-1/2 oz. Jewell triggers all summer long. I've had real problems getting my deer rifle, another No. 1, to fire (muscle memory) when it had the factory trigger and, eventually, I replaced it with a Kepplinger.

Steve gave me a list of things to try when I saw him Sunday and I will follow it exactly. If I'm not happy when done I will give the gun to Steve this winter so he can work his magic doing things I'm not capable of doing... like lightening the hammer. I have no machinery at all and do everything by hand... that is, unless you count a Dremel and a stand grinder.

Generally, I'm very happy with the way this rifle turned out. I've shot some really small groups with it out of a cold barrel. But, when it heats up, it starts to throw shots all over the place. I need to be able to shoot eight or ten shots accurately and, half an hour later, shoot another ten with no lose of accuracy. We do this five times in our matches and, so far, each succeeding group gets bigger.
© 24hourcampfire