Home
Posted By: DoubleCK Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/13/17
I am kicking around the idea of putting together a SubSonic Carbine to use on Coyote Decoy Dog stands. I came up with an Encore ML and swapped the ML barrel off for an Encore 18" threaded .223 barrel.

Thinking an MGM 16.25" threaded .38 special barrel might work.

During this activity shots are close and I have a sizable cache of .38 special JSP ammo.

Thoughts?
Posted By: basdjs Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/13/17
I'd do a .357 mag barrel so you could shoot either .357 mag or .38 Spl in it.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/14/17
Originally Posted by basdjs
I'd do a .357 mag barrel so you could shoot either .357 mag or .38 Spl in it.

Sound advice. You may find you like the 357 Mag even better...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/14/17
If you've already got the can, try it with the .223. The .38 likely won't be subsonic, and even if it is it'll still make enough noise to scare the doggies. A can will quiet the .223 a bit and you'll have a lot more range for when they hang up.

On the other hand, sometimes an itch just needs scratchin'.
Posted By: DoubleCK Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/14/17
Thanks for the thoughts guys!

My idea of use of a subsonic close range weapon is to benefit the hearing of the Decoy Dog & Hunter not to comfort the coyotes. (-:

As far as the Can goes. I am one of the stubborn preparing for the passing of the HPA. LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: basdjs Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/14/17
Pappy's right. While many .38 loads are subsonic out of a short pistol barrel, the increased velocity they'll achieve out of a rifle barrel will get them to supersonic.
Used to be a .357 case...

[Linked Image]

Used to be an ingot

[Linked Image]

Used to shoot .22 shorts

[Linked Image]

Subsonic ain't no big trick

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DoubleCK Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/15/17
SWEET!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
Them boolits is too pretty to shoot, almost.

Do you need a set of forming dies, or does the FLS do it? How heavy are those little jewels?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
go with the 357 Maximum and you can also use 357 magnum and 38 Spl.
Posted By: Thegman Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
What breed is your dog, Mountain Cur, or...?

I have a lightweight 21" MGM 357 Max barrel coming in a couple of weeks for a G2. Plan is to have big-game capable loads but also make up subs for relatively quiet small game stuff when the opportunity presents itself. I'll be trying 38, 357 mag and max cases and a few different bullets. I'll let you know if I come up with something that might work for what you're looking to do.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Them boolits is too pretty to shoot, almost.

Do you need a set of forming dies, or does the FLS do it? How heavy are those little jewels?

Size die does the trick but the 1/2" that gets choked do need a splash of lube and annealing helps a bit. 183 gr of 30:1 alloy from a Brooks mould. They cast at ~.3095" and I size to .309. Dilute ALOX lube and dusted with mica/graphite mix.

12" twist 19" barrel from Bullberry, Silencerco Octane 9 can.

The expander on the die is tapered, .308-.310" and the seat die does a tapered crimp

I figure pretty bullets try harder.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
I'm not sure you'll be happy with 38 special accuracy from the 357 Max barrel. I've not tried it myself but others who have this caliber have not been thrilled with the 38 special accuracy, due in part to COAL, I think.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
Originally Posted by bea175
go with the 357 Maximum and you can also use 357 magnum and 38 Spl.

You can shoot them but a .38 spl cartridge is .4" shorter than a .357 Max cartridge so I'd wonder how accurate the spl would be if it had to jump .4" in the Max chamber just to get to the rifling. What kind of accuracy are you guys getting that have shot that combination?
Posted By: DoubleCK Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
Originally Posted by Thegman
What breed is your dog, Mountain Cur, or...?

I have a lightweight 21" MGM 357 Max barrel coming in a couple of weeks for a G2. Plan is to have big-game capable loads but also make up subs for relatively quiet small game stuff when the opportunity presents itself. I'll be trying 38, 357 mag and max cases and a few different bullets. I'll let you know if I come up with something that might work for what you're looking to do.

Tucker is a Mountain Cur with a small shot of Hound, thus the long ears.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Posted By: DoubleCK Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
Since this rig will be dedicated to subsonic loads, I am thinking a .38 special match chamber. MGM looks like the deal.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/16/17
Interesting. I've got a Martini Cadet in 38 Special. Hmmm....
Originally Posted by DoubleCK
Since this rig will be dedicated to subsonic loads, I am thinking a .38 special match chamber. MGM looks like the deal.

If you follow thru with that get a twist rate that will stabilize 200-225 gr bullets.
Posted By: se3388 Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 03/19/17
I had a 38 Spl. rifle barrel (22 inch I think) from the T/C Custom Shop and it was really fun to play with. A 148 DWC loaded with a minimum load of Unique sounded almost like a 22 lr with just the primer. I then turned it into a 357 x 44 Bain & Davis which is one of my favorite rounds.

Steve.........
Get the barrel in .357 Max or Mag. and just load it to .38Special velocity... in the larger case, then you can still load it to max or mag velocity if you want more power.
Posted By: DoubleCK Re: Encore .38 Special Rifle? - 05/14/17
Originally Posted by se3388
I had a 38 Spl. rifle barrel (22 inch I think) from the T/C Custom Shop and it was really fun to play with. A 148 DWC loaded with a minimum load of Unique sounded almost like a 22 lr with just the primer. I then turned it into a 357 x 44 Bain & Davis which is one of my favorite rounds.

Steve.........

Steve, or anyone else know of a TC .38 Special or a TC .357 Mag barrel out there?
© 24hourcampfire