Home
What are people using for scope mounting on the new Winchester 1885 high wall rifles.
Wanted to use Talley one piece but don’t believe they are made.
Thanks
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In 2005 I ordered a Uberti 1885 in 30-30. I never shot it.

In October 2012 in the course of a few days, I put a Shilen select match #3 taper barrel on it. Made a scope base for it. Sighted in in 257 Roberts Ackley rimmed out to 400 yards, and shot a mule buck.

I could have come up with better ideas if I had more time.
Talley markets a base for the modern Miroku made 1885s.
Thanks guys
Originally Posted by ireload2
Talley markets a base for the modern Miroku made 1885s.

This is what I have on my Low Wall.
Thanks guy, looks like Talley is the only option.
Would have liked to use Leupold and saved $100.
Originally Posted by dale06
Thanks guy, looks like Talley is the only option.
Would have liked to use Leupold and saved $100.

Not so fast ,Sherlock...

If your rifle is a regular 1885 with the medium heavy octagon barrel the Leupolds are still made and should fit your gun-

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362280298/leupold-2-piece-standard-scope-base-browning
Thanks guys
My dealer just called and said Davidson’s won’t ship to him cause he is not a stocking dealer, so I’m probably not going to buy.
Sounds like you don't want the rifle or the mount bad enough.
.....looks like Talley is the only option.

Talley should be your only consideration.
The Leupys may not have enough lateral adjustment for eye relief. Does not work well on my 1885. However ,I think Leupy or Talley make a front extension.

S&K may make something for the 1885.....iffin you can wake them up.

Conetrol.
I have Leupold mounts on mine and they’ve worked just fine.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have Leupold mounts on mine and they’ve worked just fine.

Yep ,just as they did for the last 40+ years..First when made for the Browning B-78s and then from 1985 onward for the 1885s .
I have used at least a dozen sets on the B-78 & m1885 High and Low walls I have owned and had no issues at all.

In terms of getting the scope back far enough for good eyerelief the rear ring placement is as good as the Talley setup and better than any factory setup for a Ruger No1 for sure.

Also the Redfield style bases can take Low and Superlow rings which help get the scope low over the bore where it belongs for a decent cheek weld.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Sounds like you don't want the rifle or the mount bad enough.

True enough I guess.
I saw one on GB with the high grade wood and pistol grip.
That was the only one I had some interest in owning.
The dealer that I was using is a friend that would get it for me wholesale. That saved me a few hundred. And I don’t want it bad enough to pay that extra couple hundred dollars.
Not a big deal, as I have way more rifles than I can shoot anyway.

I have a new Leupold mount for a High Wall that I'm not going to use. Let me know if you're interested and I'll make it right for you.
I’ve got a set of Burris (or Browning marked Burris’) for a high wall in a drawer somewhere I never used. There was some confusion in the description when I ordered for my low wall and I just ordered both sets. If anybody comes across this in future and needs them, send me a PM.
Ok Talley Base for a $100 bucks ,they're steel rings are also a $100 bucks. What about Weaver rings ? They claim they fit like the Talley rings.
What are people using for scope mounting on the new Winchester 1885 high wall rifles.
Wanted to use Talley one piece but don’t believe they are made.
Thanks

I have one of their one piece 1885 mounts.
Talley makes good mounts, cost a little more, but worth it.
Reloader28 thanks for the parts,very big hart. Hey shot that rifle and now realized its a different animal than a bolt action rifle. What are your shooting Technics ? Learned I must hold it the same every time I shoot,seems not to like the forearm resting on sand bags. Its pressure sensitive .
Looks like I never put my annoying 4c on this thread. I got a 45/70 1/2 round 1885 limited model. Well, they are all somewhat limited. I was not a BP style gun, more a hunter setup. I ended up with a tang site. Not my original plan but the scope base just stump me on that particular barrel. Model does not matter, they all smell bad. Bottom line, great rifle, but: I will never ever get another one. Not new anyway. For $1500 these jap crums could provide a proper 1 piece base in the box and take a weaver type cross slot ring. Every one of these guns is a head ache to scope. And 90% of the end result look down right ugly. The two piece base ugly, the extended bases ugly. This is one thing Ruger does right. I never needed extended rings for a ruger, I get the right scope for the gun. That is easy compared to the 1885 night mare.

You know what else is annoying, typing one word and have the posted result be something with a completely different meaning. It seems like a spell check. Yet, i still have spelling errors. I now have spelling errors and completely wrong words inserted. Final edit from this old curmudgeon. thank you to spell check on that last word smile
Originally Posted by Ironworker
Reloader28 thanks for the parts,very big hart. Hey shot that rifle and now realized its a different animal than a bolt action rifle. What are your shooting Technics ? Learned I must hold it the same every time I shoot,seems not to like the forearm resting on sand bags. Its pressure sensitive .

I keep the bag tight to the action as is comfortable to keep as much pressure as possible off the forearm. Make very sure to keep the sling studs off the bags. Pull the butt firm into your shoulder. Don’t let it free recoil.
I just finished free floating the forearm,now waiting for the trigger to get back from a gunsmith that specializes in these type of rifles.
© 24hourcampfire