Home
Posted By: OldRooster The Great Temptation - 12/16/17
Stopped at my LGS this morning just to say hello. As I was leaving the owner asked if I'd seen the Browning 78. Uh oh! Octagonal barrel 25-06. Needed a good cleaning but I think the bore will be quite respectable after some TLC. One very small spot on the bottom of the barrel that might have some light pitting and minimal blue wear at the muzzle. The rest of the metal is nice and the wood is very nice with 1 or 2 light scuffs. It'll need medium rings since what appear to be original low rings let the scope bell crowd the hammer. I've half-heartedly been looking at these and the 1885s for quite a while. My 1885 30-06 was a fine shooter..... The price is significantly better than anything I've seen in a long time. Are they worth messing with? He's holding it for me for a few days so I'll need to make a firm decision soon. And I wonder if the current liking for stainless/synthetic rifles will make gems like the 78 obsolete. Even at a very good price it's still too much to pizz away.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: The Great Temptation - 12/16/17
Are you friggin' kidding? I like stainless and plastic for hunting in the rain but it has no heart. There's no decision to make, just go buy the [bleep] thing. If you have to sell a kidney or or left nut, so be it.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: The Great Temptation - 12/16/17
What Tom said...get it and don't look back.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 12/16/17
πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ’ƒπŸΏπŸΊπŸΊ

I will make it mine. Thanks for the quick input.
Were these early 78s lighter than the Browning 1885s? It seems to be both trimmer and faster handling but that may be my imagination.
Posted By: jk16 Re: The Great Temptation - 12/16/17
Originally Posted by OldRooster
πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ’ƒπŸΏπŸΊπŸΊ

I will make it mine. Thanks for the quick input.
Were these early 78s lighter than the Browning 1885s? It seems to be both trimmer and faster handling but that may be my imagination.

Yeah, the B-78s are lighter.. by at least half pound. The 85s had a longer 28" barrel in a slightly heavier contour.

Out of curiousity, what did they price that gun at?
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: The Great Temptation - 12/16/17
Blued steel and walnut will never go out of style.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 12/18/17
I picked the 78 up today. Made a very favorable trade - stuff that hasn't seen the light of day for 3 or 4 years. The rifle has cleaned up nicely and the bore, which was my biggest concern, cleaned up well at the shop and is even better since I worked on it here at home. The wood is in fine condition and the quality of the walnut is pretty sweet. All the checkering is clean and sharp. Now to put a set of rings on the Browning bases and get a scope mounted. I'm trying to date it but the serial number doesn't seem to match Browning's information. I think it's a 1975 gun but....
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: The Great Temptation - 12/18/17
Congrats!

We'd all like to see pictures!
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
Congrats!

We'd all like to see pictures!

ASAP
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12477039#Post12477039

Hell, I don't know but hope this links to the pics. Please let me know. I think it works.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: The Great Temptation - 12/19/17
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sweet!!!
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 12/19/17
BigSkyGuy, thank you. It's in pretty good shape for being 42 years old. The action is smooth as silk with no slop at all. The trigger is very good, maybe just a little light for my taste by about 1#, but quite nice. Now I'll look through my collection for a set of medium rings.
Posted By: DBrink Re: The Great Temptation - 12/22/17
Just an FYI since it appears you didn't get the original rings with the gun. The originals were different heights. You can get by using a mis-matched set of Leupold, Redfield, etc. rings with one low and one medium or a medium and a high (not as sure about the second option), other wise your scope won't be level. I know it sounds strange but that is the way the original rings were. You can set a level/straight edge on the bases and you'll see what I mean.

David
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 12/22/17
David, thanks for the heads-up. The taller ring toward the muzzle? It's the usual turn-in front ring setup. The rings that were on it allowed no real clearance between the ocular bell and the hammer so I figured I'd put on a taller (medium) set. On my 1885 the hammer wasn't crowded that way.
Posted By: DBrink Re: The Great Temptation - 12/22/17
Yes the lower one goes in the rear and the front turn in is the higher ring. If it came with the Browning rings (glossy and different heights as stated), you can probably post them as a lot of the 78s seem to come without the original rings. I don't know why guys remove them since they are kind of gun specific but they do. I am not sure if the remake 78s had the same set up or not. I would hope they had the same height rings but I just don't remember from seeing them.

Good luck and they are fine rifles IMO.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: The Great Temptation - 12/22/17
Rooster,

I had the same rifle in 30-06 that was made in 74. I scoped mine with a Leupold 6x M8 using Leupold low rear and med. front. I'm not sure if they'll still do it but I sent the rear ring back from a set of mediums to Leupold and got a low in return.

Mine would shoot right at moa. Someone else wanted it enough to pay me way more than I had in it. Somewhat regret selling it but it was in new condition and I new I was not going to hunt with it.
Posted By: DBrink Re: The Great Temptation - 12/23/17
Mine is an octagon barrel .30-06 as well. With the 26" barrel it is close to .300 Win Mag velocities and shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups consistently with Nosler 165 gr BT. Enjoy it.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 12/23/17
My 1885 was a .6 -.75 shooter with most loads. If it didn't like a load it opened up to 1.25. It was an excellent rifle. And it was heavy. Only reason I let it go. The 78 is noticeably lighter and I've been wanting to replace the 1885 for years.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 12/28/17
Bought some 117 Sierras and looking forward to seeing what I can do with them.
Posted By: motocyclista Re: The Great Temptation - 12/29/17
Really nice rifle.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: The Great Temptation - 12/30/17
I stumbled across one of these today while out hunting down some reloading supplies.

I've never owned one, as my tastes run towards the Ruger No. 1, but this one has me thinking...

It has a big gouge in the left side of the buttstock likely caused by a pistol hammer while being carried by a sling. Other than that, it is super clean!

It has bases and rings, but no scope. Chambered in 30-06, which I need like another hole in the head, but what can you do...maybe have it bored to 35 Whelen!

Anywho, the guy wants $1050 for it and I'd imagine I could get it for an even grand....

What do you think?
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 01/03/18
Big Sky, I just jumped back on this thread after a holiday hiatus. It would depend on how boogered up the wood is. I'd start offering 975 while I ran my fingertips over the gouge. And I'd shoot it in '06 before I'd let them take a reamer to it.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: The Great Temptation - 01/03/18
Ya, I went and looked at it again...

The gouge is completely through the shellac like finish and into bare wood. I'm not a super big fan of them, my tastes running towards No. 1's, but I've never owned one....

I'm gonna sit on it for a week or so, then hit him at $850, and come up to $900. If he says no, so be it....i don't need another '06 anyway! crazy
Posted By: pete53 Re: The Great Temptation - 01/03/18
I would not pay more than 800.00 for this gun save your money and buy a better one,check out guns international. myself I would rather have a ruger no. 1 any day
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: The Great Temptation - 01/05/18
I like the Brownings much better than the later Winchester 1885's. Much nicer wood. If that were mine, I'd strip the stock, fix the gouge and refinish in oil.

I have one like that... Was a .30/06, but I had it rechambered to a .300 H&H.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: The Great Temptation - 01/05/18
It sure is good seeing you post again Grasshopper!

Todd
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: The Great Temptation - 01/05/18
To add to my conundrum on this little endeavor, I found a 131 prefix No. 1 in 45-70 that I'm sure I could get for $900. Not a stellar piece of wood on it, but not fence post plain either...

Ahhh, if only I were independently wealthy and money didn't matter! cry

I can't even use the old "buy myself a birthday present" trick because my darling bride just gave me a Lipsey's stainless 44 Special flattop! Whatta girl! smile
Posted By: OldRooster Re: The Great Temptation - 01/06/18
BigSky, I understand the conundrum. I’ve been through it. Bought 3 1A’s because I like them but every one has suffered from the wandering POI and one had a mild case of the sloppy lever issue but not a deal breaker. I’m counting on this 78 to deliver the predictable accuracy of my 1885. The hammer is a bit of a PITA but an easy trade off for the merits of the rifle. I’ve either been on the road or waiting out the weather since I got the 78 and I’m itching to get to the range. I bought some 117 Sierras and want to get a box of 100 grainers for all purpose work but prefer the 117’s for deer. It’s the same as my thing about not hunting deer with 6.5’s lighter than 140.😜
Posted By: John_Boy Re: The Great Temptation - 01/07/18
Beautiful rifle. I like them better than the Ruger. The Ruger just doesn't fit me. You have to really crane your neck because of the poor scope mounting position.
© 24hourcampfire