Home
Posted By: Pappy348 Henry Single Shot - 01/18/18
Actually saw two, both .243s, for sale in GB last night. Also one .223/5.56 on Gun Genie. Looks like $400 is the ballpark street price.

Pretty nice wood on the .243s.

Also, the NRA site has a review on a "brass" shotgun (URK!🤢) and a .223/5.56. Not very comprehensive, but no malfunctions anyway.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/18/18
The accuracy of the centerfire was something I was interested in. While they were only able to shoot at 50 yards (explained in the article) it definitely shows some potential. Groups from the .4's through the .7's extrapolate to .8's up to 1.4" but that was factory ammo and what I understand to be five shot groups, not three.

NRA Review
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/18/18
Five shots is pretty standard and then I want to see 4 groups (NRA 5, box ammo =4). Some prefer 10 shots but; I feel to much information is lost. Certainly acceptable and proper to allow some time to cool between shots.

Thank you for posting the review. The NRA is till my most trusted source for reviews, short of having a friend or club member or my own smile

Good write up. I would call this a solid 1 moa performer. I dont care about the worse ammo. The rifle is 223 - so that probably helps in the accuracy dept.

The best performer of the test set was Norma USA's 77-gr. Sierra Match King hollow point boat tail load with a best single group of 0.44" with an average of 0.53".

The report 6 pound trigger pull and note the weight (bare rifle) is over 7 pounds. Pretty close to varmint weight for a 223, but not unreasonable for something like 45/70 or any over 30 caliber option. I may give one a try if I can just decide on what caliber would fill what nitch? I wish it was more like 5 pounds. That would make a handy woods rifle in 44mag.

Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/18/18
Am I a true looney for thinking that I want one in .243 or .308 that is immediately sent off to JES for a .358 rebore?
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/18/18
.243 and .308 always read .358 to me...
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/19/18
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Am I a true looney for thinking that I want one in .243 or .308 that is immediately sent off to JES for a .358 rebore?

You maybe loony, but; not crazy. That should make a dandy 358.

Just for my notebook, who is JES?
Posted By: tmitch Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/19/18
JES = http://www.35caliber.com/
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/19/18
Reeds had a 44 Magnum with absolutely gorgeous wood about a month or so ago. I am mad at myself for not buying it.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/19/18
thanks Mitch, book marked.

I though it would be more cost. Not bad 225 or so...
Posted By: z1r Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/19/18
I was looking at the .44 Mag. Anyone know who has the single shots for sale?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Henry Single Shot - 01/19/18
Originally Posted by z1r
I was looking at the .44 Mag. Anyone know who has the single shots for sale?

They are few and far between at this point.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/06/18
There are a FEW on GunBroker.
Posted By: Markh Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
Id like to see them do a 22 or 17 Hornet.....Once they get production up and running better.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
I hope they make a .41magnum.........but they would probably be ridiculously expensive like all other .41 rifles.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by reivertom
I hope they make a .41magnum.........but they would probably be ridiculously expensive like all other .41 rifles.

I would spring for one of those for sure, they do make a 41 lever gun so there is hope for a single shot.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
Has anyone noticed how high off the tang the release lever is?
I handled one at Reeds and it was the first thing I noticed about the gun. I asked if they were all like that and he just nodded.
Besides being very fugly I can see it being a problem. One good whack and it could break off.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
If it's cast or MIM, it might very well break off.

I was hot for these, but have cooled off. I want to handle one before I buy, that's for sure.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I handled one at Reeds and it was the first thing I noticed about the gun. I asked if they were all like that and he just nodded.
Besides being very fugly I can see it being a problem. One good whack and it could break off.

The tang isn't a particularly vulnerable area is it?
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

The tang isn't a particularly vulnerable area is it?

Murphy's law...
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/14/18
Industry scuttlebutt is that Henry bought a bunch of Remington 700 bolt handles and with some modifications re-purposed them as release levers, so they should be unbreakable... wink

Kidding aside, I am still optimistic about these but like Pappy348 would like to see one in hand before making up my mind.
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
I've prowled local shops and big box stores from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Beaumont, Texas with stops in Mississippi and Louisiana along the way since they came out and have yet to lay paws on one.... I figure they'll catch on in Louisiana or Mississippi quickly for the primitive weapons season uses.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
I had a chance to handle one in a gun shop the other day. Observation and question.

The observation, the hammer was bit too low, narrow and hard to cock quickly while bringing the rifle to shoulder. The spring is also very stiff. All this, compared to the old H&R which I could handle very quickly. That is a problem for me.

The question, what is the safety or procedure to carry a loaded gun while hunting? Not a nit pick, just a question. There is no transfer bar. No 1/2 cock. No safety button, lever or latch. I asked the clerk, he had no idea. Maybe some one here can fill me in.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
According to Henry's website, "The action has no external manual safety; it uses a rebounding hammer that can’t touch the firing pin unless the trigger’s deliberately pulled."
Thanks Jim.

I guess, then it can be carried cocked with all fingers outside the trigger guard. I guess? Or keep the hammer down until.

If I had one, I would have to study the parts diagram and look closer at the reciever. I like the transfer bar, others dont. Being able to see the bar makes me more confident than having some internal lock out. It must be ok. I am not going to worry about any more for now.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
I just wonder if they are more accurate than other models of the same type. I've not heard a lot of good things about H&R, NEF, etc., being real consistent shooters.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
The test I read of a .223 was positive. Certainly they should be accurate enough for ordinary purposes. Never owned one of the others you mention, but have read they're good shooters, but sometimes sensitive to forend tension. My cousin bought a 20ga slug gun because everyone said they were so accurate. He spent about $200 trying to find a slug load it liked before he gave up and unloaded it.😜
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
All I want is a 30/30.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
That'd work, though considering all the loading stuff I have, a .308 makes more sense.

There's a free .30/30 in every .308 box.
Originally Posted by reivertom
I just wonder if they are more accurate than other models of the same type. I've not heard a lot of good things about H&R, NEF, etc., being real consistent shooters.

I think the NEF were pretty good guns. I am sorry they are gone.

Chuck Hawks (no accuray testing) on the Handy rifle.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/nef_rifles.htm

Some discussion on this forum:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450568

This pretty well sums it up
They seem to run the gamut from astounding to acceptable.

And finally a review on the Henry, from the American Rifleman (edit, I did not notice this was already linked, I guess not everyone follows all the links, me included)

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/12/20/tested-henry-single-shot-shotguns-and-rifles/

RE, the Henry - IMHO- this is outstanding accuracy (edit: sorry. I though this was 100 yards, well even at 50 it is more than just good hunting accuracy)

Black Hills Ammunition 60-gr. soft points printed a best five-shot group of 0.69" with a five group average of 0.77". Gorilla Ammunition's 69-gr. Sierra Match King open-tip match load yielded a best group of 0.61" with an average of 0.69". The best performer of the test set was Norma USA's 77-gr. Sierra Match King hollow point boat tail load with a best single group of 0.44" with an average of 0.53".
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That'd work, though considering all the loading stuff I have, a .308 makes more sense.

There's a free .30/30 in every .308 box.

I'm not a fan of rimless anything in break action firearms
Posted By: blanket Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/15/18
I just wish someone would revive the 219 Savage with a forged steel receiver. A 45-70, 30-40 Krag,38-55 and 44 mag with a .429 bored barrel with a twist that would handle 300 grain cast would find a home here
Posted By: jk16 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/16/18
Originally Posted by blanket
I just wish someone would revive the 219 Savage with a forged steel receiver. A 45-70, 30-40 Krag,38-55 and 44 mag with a .429 bored barrel with a twist that would handle 300 grain cast would find a home here

I recommend building a time machine. Such a gun ,if built today would cost WAAAAAY more than you would be willing to spend.
Posted By: blanket Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/16/18
Originally Posted by jk16

I recommend building a time machine. Such a gun ,if built today would cost WAAAAAY more than you would be willing to spend.
doubt it would be way more than I was willing to spend
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/16/18

I had to google the 219 savage. Right away, I see a better looking gun.!! Damn !! Easy reach, big hammer. Slender graceful stock. Why is it so difficult? I dont get it, are people really this stupid? And why would that cost more than any one would spend? Why would a Henry exact clone of the 219 cost a nickel more? I dont see any big manufacturing challenge. I was naive enough to expect to see something more/less like this from Henry. The Henry is heavy too.

I dont care if the receiver is forged. That is not important to me. The strength vs weight can be achieve multiple ways.

All internet chatter aside, I might just add the 219 in 30/30 to my long term watch list.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/16/18
Read up on those a bit before you buy. Not all barrels are interchangeable on all frames. Older guns cock when the lever is operated. Newer ones have a draw bar that cocks when the action is broken.

Also, watch for the firing pin sticking in the fired position, which can give you a surprise when you load and close it.

I picked up a .410 a couple of years ago that had been nicely restored long ago. Neat little gun.
Posted By: blanket Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/16/18
219 was an internal hammer, forged steel receiver to handle higher pressure than cast
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/16/18
Google failed me, I looked at an image that looked like a hammer. I like the lines.

Henry seems challenged for the proper look and feel for the whole product line.
Posted By: Ploughman Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/20/18
The original Savage 219 was made for a few years before WWII, and built at the old Savage works in Utica, New York. Those rifles, like the model 220 shotgun were striker-fired. The post-war version, or at least one post-war version, (219A? 219B?) built in Massachusetts, had an internal hammer. I would not think the pre-war 219 would have a problem with the firing pin sticking forward since it was a long striker which was cocked as the gun was opened.
Posted By: papat Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/20/18
Yes. Early 219s were strikers. And it is totally a pain to change the firing pins if broken. That said I changed mine. Hornet barrel in the original .223 size. I drop the charge a bit and shoots quite well. Ex FIL had one in 30-30. Have no idea where it is now. A slim, graceful package.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/20/18
I agree that if anyone if going to revive a break-open single shot, the Savage 219 is the one, especially the Utica version which had a walnut stock and a much more graceful STEEL trigger guard than later models. With modern manufacturing methods, you could make the barrels much more interchangeable than the originals, too. An American European-style stalking rifle or "kipplauf", like the Germans say. A .25-35 WCF with modern bullets would be the nuts for medium game where you didn't need to shoot a country mile. So would a .243.

I think fourbore is looking at a different rifle. Savage 219s are all hammerLESS. They have a tang safety just like a fancy double shotgun. Quick and positive. I have three, all with fitted Savage 220 shotgun barrels (the "old 220," not the current bolt action rifled shotguns that use a 110-style action).
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/21/18
I was looking at a poor quality image of a 219. I could see the overall profile. The top of the receiver was unclear.
Posted By: gmg Re: Henry Single Shot - 02/24/18
I like em and like the 44 the 243 and maybe the 308.If they had a 30-30 my money would be in the mail.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/08/18
More and more of these are showing up on Gun Broker. The wood on most of them has good to very good character. Street prices are running 369-399. As soon as one with good wood shows up in 44 magnum, I am going to buy it.
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/09/18
Was in a LGS this morning. They had one next to a Long Ranger. I didn't realize at first it was the single shot. So, I asked to look at it. Turned out to be a 243, which I wasn't looking for. But, the fit and finish was really nice. Action opened smoothly. The lever wasn't a problem where it was. I expect the fit and finish on all of them would be the same. Anyway, happened to look on Bud's this evening and they had them in 223. Mine is on layaway now. I hope that eventually, they will make them in .357. If they do, I'll have one of those also.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/09/18
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz
Was in a LGS this morning. They had one next to a Long Ranger. I didn't realize at first it was the single shot. So, I asked to look at it. Turned out to be a 243, which I wasn't looking for. But, the fit and finish was really nice. Action opened smoothly. The lever wasn't a problem where it was. I expect the fit and finish on all of them would be the same. Anyway, happened to look on Bud's this evening and they had them in 223. Mine is on layaway now. I hope that eventually, they will make them in .357. If they do, I'll have one of those also.

Keep us posted on it. I want to know how it shoots.
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/09/18
Anybody know the twist on the .223 ?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/09/18
According to their website, 1 in 9".
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/10/18
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz

A .357 Magnum rechambered to .357 Maximum would grab my interest.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/11/18
And I think they would sell a bunch of 357 maximums
Posted By: papat Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/12/18
Maximum all the way
Posted By: jobyjob Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/12/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead
All I want is a 30/30.

I'm with Steelhead. The 30/30 is the FIRST round they should have brought these out in.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/12/18
I put some of my raffle tickets in the bucket for one Saturday night at the NRA Friend's banquet. It looked 'presentable" , I don't own a .243 yet, I like single shots, the tickets were already paid for, there weren't a whole lot of other interesting guns. I figured why not.................................

I didn't win. frown

Will be nice to see a review when someone on here gets a hold of one.

They need to chamber them in more interesting calibers. If not, they're diss'n loonies!

Geno
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/17/18
Would love a 357 max for Michigan zone 3. Hope they make it

44 mag might be in my future though

I like it
Posted By: Autofive Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/19/18
I finally picked up a Henry single shot 44 mag.,fit & finish are very good,it has a nice deep blue on the barrel,and the wood is above average with both figure and grain in a medium/dark finish.Hopefully with some more snow melt I will be able to get to my range in the woods and shoot it. Sorry ,I don't do pics!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by Autofive
I finally picked up a Henry single shot 44 mag.,fit & finish are very good,it has a nice deep blue on the barrel,and the wood is above average with both figure and grain in a medium/dark finish.Hopefully with some more snow melt I will be able to get to my range in the woods and shoot it. Sorry ,I don't do pics!

You teased us like that only to tell us no pics?

Where did you get it?
Posted By: Autofive Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/20/18
PB, after a couple of shops couldn't get one I found a fairly local shop that Henry listed as a flagship dealer and he came through for me. Near the little town of Chenango Forks ny.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/20/18
Keep us posted. Looking forward to a range report.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/21/18
Good for you!
Posted By: Autofive Re: Henry Single Shot - 03/21/18
4350,will do.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/18/18
I finally did a bit of range work with my Henry single shot 44 mag.I tried various loads at fifty yards with the issue open sights and due to 66 year old eyes ,the results were varied!I decided that a peep sight would better suite my needs,rather than a scope,as my main purpose was to keep weight to a minimum.Williams WGRS #17778 looked like it would work.The mounting holes lined up perfectly,but I needed to remove about a 1/4" of material at the rear of the sight for a proper fit.Back at the range bullet impact was 12" high at 50 yards with the peep at it's lowest setting!I installed a taller Marble front sight with an ivory bead and went back to the range.Hornady 240&300 grain XTP's and Lyman #429630 265 gr. hpgc bullets clustered in nice tight groups.These were all hand loads using W296/H110 powder.Beartooth 250gr. gas checks didn't shoot well at all,but I haven't had much luck with that bullet in a couple other 44 mags either! I've got some LBT/cast performance 260gr. gas checks that I'll try next. All in all ,I'm happy with the Henry.By the way,the williams peep sight is made to fit H&R's!
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/19/18
Hey Tom, If you want to try some Cast Performance 300 grain WFNGC in your Henry let me know.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/20/18
Nice work!

Another option on sone rifles is to install the Williams open sight with a peep insert instead of a blade. I did that on a Browning Low Wall .44 and was surprised at how well I could shoot with it. Now I have the same setup on a TC Renegade, but haven't shot it yet.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/20/18
RR, yes i'd like to try some of those 300's,i'll run into you sooner or later!
Pappy,thanks for the info.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/20/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice work!

Another option on sone rifles is to install the Williams open sight with a peep insert instead of a blade. I did that on a Browning Low Wall .44 and was surprised at how well I could shoot with it. Now I have the same setup on a TC Renegade, but haven't shot it yet.

Interesting (heartening?) to see you like that setup, too. I've been using Mojo sights on my milsurps, they are an adjustable peep sight mounted into the original military rear sight fixture out on the barrel. I'll not claim they allow as much precision as a true receiver mounted peep but you can still do some pretty good shooting with them. IME they are way, way ahead of using open sights with a rear notch, especially as our eyes get older. Heck, I'd bet younger eyes could make even better use of them.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/20/18
To get the aperture, centering effect, the hole has to be close to the eye. Mounted down on the barrel you have a hole, which is just an alternative to a notch. One may work better than the other for a given situation or shooter.

I was curious about this and got a fairly good discussion and pointers to literature when I asked about mounting a peep on a hand cannon pistol or long range single shot pistol. Bottom line, ZERO, benefit and nobody does it. I am sorry, I dont remember where I was. It is not a question of less benefit, there simple is none. None with regard to the aperture. Might be just the ticket for an individual for some other specific individual.
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/20/18
Autofive, got a question, wouldn't it be more beneficial to mount a scope on it for testing purposes? And then mount your open sights. Seems to me it would be easier to ring it out that way to get the full potential of the rifle. I'm very interested because I plan on getting a .44 also.

Thanks,
Doug
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/20/18
Okay, I'll agree to disagree with you. I see a terrific improvement over using an original notch rear sight, not just on well defined aiming points but in general field work as well.

The comments on a handgun may shed some light on the situation, perhaps the effect lessens the further away from the eye the aperture is placed. On my three rifles so equipped, the rear sight is approximately 15" from my eye. On a handgun that sight is some 26" away. I've already noted that the barrel mounted peep isn't as precise as a receiver mounted peep and that lessening could certainly be directly proportional to distance, but the centering effect is definitely there. You mount the rifle and focus on the front sight only, the eye still automatically centers it in the aperture which is just a fuzzy looking hole. Like any peep, your eye isn't shifting focus from the front to rear sight continuously. One caveat, obviously, is to match the aperture to the use. A small .05" or even .09" diameter aperture won't work, it requires what amounts to a ghost ring sight.

I've only tried it for me so can't say how someone else would use it but to conclude that there is no benefit at all for anyone - on a rifle - I cannot agree with that.
Douginla,I'm getting fifty yard groups with three shots just about touching with a couple loads,where I hunt eighty yards is a long shot,most are under fifty.For my purposes it is doing all that I need it to.By the way ,I'm heading down to Farmerville at the end of May.
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/20/18
Thanks, sounds like my woods. Even 80yds is a long shot.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/21/18
I thought the same way until I tried it. It's likely not as fast as one close to the eye, but t does allow me to center it quite well, and the results on-target were quite acceptable. There are a couple of similar setups on the market, even for handguns. For my vision, it's better than an open sight.

EDIT: This is an expedient for rifles that aren't d&t for a receiver sight or, in the case of my Low Wall, where I was trying to have two sight setups for different loads available. Closer to the eye is better, but this works.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/21/18
Auto,

You maybe onto something at a practical level. And you post a question,I cannot answer. The 'magic' effect is when the aperture is close enough to the eye. At that point you do not have to work to center the front bead in the hole to hit the aim point. The aperture is similar to using a 1x scope. At some distance, and I dont know how far, you want to keep the bead centered. That is line up 3 points, front, rear and target. The round hole may still be a significant help, without the effect. At the end of the day this rear hole sighting system is working for you and may help others.

I did some reading and there is a way to test. I dont plan to do this. Just for the sake of conversation I will toss this out there. On a target rifle, the shooter can line up the bulls eye. Then move his had side to side and the front bead will stay on the bull. That is the magic. The bead will be off center and yet the poi is he same. As some point, with the hole mounted at a greater distance moving the head from side to side (putting the bead off center) will change the point of aim.

That above head movement is the same method used to test for parallax when adjusting the Objective on a scope. In fact the above effect is parallax.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/21/18
4Bore,your post sounds reasonable. All I know is that my set up works for me.I'll find out how well come November!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/22/18
I handled one of these in 223 last week. I was pretty darned impressed. The wood had a lot of character. The fit was better than most #1s I have seen lately. The blue was nicer than The NEF and H&R single shots. As soon as I find one in 44 magnum with decent wood, I am buying it.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/22/18
Originally Posted by fourbore
To get the aperture, centering effect, the hole has to be close to the eye. Mounted down on the barrel you have a hole, which is just an alternative to a notch. One may work better than the other for a given situation or shooter.

I was curious about this and got a fairly good discussion and pointers to literature when I asked about mounting a peep on a hand cannon pistol or long range single shot pistol. Bottom line, ZERO, benefit and nobody does it. I am sorry, I dont remember where I was. It is not a question of less benefit, there simple is none. None with regard to the aperture. Might be just the ticket for an individual for some other specific individual.

Wouldn't a peep on a handgun make it pretty much set for one yardage?
With a bladed rear sight there is a hard edge reference for positioning the front at varied elevations (some front sights have marks to help with that as well).
By holding the front high in the rear, you can shoot a longer distance and not cover up the target.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/22/18
Shooting with both eyes open lets your off-eye see "around" the sights, so that's not an issue. Not everyone can do that, I know. At ordinary handgun distances, I don't see a problem, and even out there a bit, you can likely still raise that blade a bit within the peep, which isn't that tight (no reference line though).
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/24/18
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Hey Tom, If you want to try some Cast Performance 300 grain WFNGC in your Henry let me know.

HSM 305gr "Bear Loads" form cloverleafs in my Ruger #3. just got some Bear Tooth Bullets in 280gr lfn and 330 wfn both GC to try in it and my TC 444.
Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/24/18
I've been looking for a Ruger No 1 in 45-70 for a while and just can't bring myself to pay what folks are asking. I recently bought a Henry Long Ranger in 223 and am very impressed with the fit, finish, and accuracy. I think a Henry Steel Single Shot in 45-70 for about a third the price of the Ruger may be the way to go.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Henry Single Shot - 04/24/18
Won't cost much to find out.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/03/18
Picked up my 45-70 today. Should be fun......or not. Need time to test it out now.
Decent walnut, fit and finish are pretty good too.

Serial number under 10

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/03/18
Nice Jim, are you scoping it?

I'm still waiting for them to offer them in 30/30
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/03/18
Hey Scott,
I'm going to try irons first. If I do, I have an M8 3X to try on it. Seems to handle pretty nicely. Almost like a single bbl shotgun. Comes up good, at least for me.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/03/18
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Hey Scott,
I'm going to try irons first. If I do, I have an M8 3X to try on it. Seems to handle pretty nicely. Almost like a single bbl shotgun. Comes up good, at least for me.

How stout of loads do you in intend to shoot in it?

The specs show just a hair under 7lbs
Posted By: z1r Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/03/18
Let me know how you like it once you shoot it. I'm still thinking that one in .44 Mag would be nice, especially with the 20" twist! Is it drilled and tapped over the chamber. If so, how close are the holes nearest the receiver? Wanting to know if I can mount an XS style receiver sight on it.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/04/18
It takes an H&R scope base. I think the last two holes nearest receiver are an inch apart. Have measure other.

I'll try and find what it likes for ammo. If it's stout then so be it.
Posted By: z1r Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/04/18
Thanks Jim.

Good luck finding the right ammo, heck, that's half the fun.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/04/18
That's the beauty of the 45/70, you don't need stout loads to kill dinosaurs with it. A 400'ish gr cast bullet with a lot of meplat pushing along a little past sonic speed.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Henry Single Shot - 05/06/18
I killed alot of stuff useing the Rem. 405 ammo, a 400lb bear and a Buffalo in a 1907 Winchester 1886 Light weight rifle also a truck load of Deer!
© 24hourcampfire