Home
Posted By: pete53 decision made - 03/16/18
I own a few Ruger no. 1`s all are great rifles and I have an extra 270 win in a win 270 Ruger no.1, so made my plan now is to rebarrel this brand new 270 into a 220 swift medium barrel 26 in brux barrel and use it as my truck gun when we run dogs for coyotes,in my mind the swift is still king ! my reason sometimes shots are just a little longer and a swift should fill the bill on coyotes and my friend a military sniper uses a swift 220 right now for coyotes and he kills plenty coyotes every winter with his swift in the open fields as the dogs run a coyote out of the woods.i thought about other cartridges and to be honest I just like the old 220 swift ,I do own 3 swifts 220 ,one is even a nice winchester pre-64 model 70 220 swift but its just to nice to hunt with and valuable too.
Posted By: vapodog Re: decision made - 03/16/18
in my mind the swift is still king !

No doubt.....but brass for the king is now discontinued by Winchester.....The king is dying...However the 224 TTH is worth a long hard look......essentially the .22-6mm Rem
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: decision made - 03/16/18
My late brother always preferrred Norma brass in his, and Hornady makes it too, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Great round.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: decision made - 03/16/18
If you have access to an A or H press the Swift can be made from 270 WCF. Size the base to .445, then size it in the Swift die with the expander plug removed and inside neck ream it. I've jumped through a lot more hoops than that to keep a rifle shooting.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: decision made - 03/20/18
I also like the Swift a lot.

If it were me, I would have Brux make me a 1-8 or even a 1-7.5 barrel in order to take advantage of the heavier bullets. My 1-8 Swift shoots the light bullets as good as the standard twist....
Posted By: pete53 Re: decision made - 03/20/18
good to know how to make 220 brass ,plus I got 500 new cases too.thank you,Pete53
Posted By: Tejano Re: decision made - 03/20/18
I have always wanted a Red pad Swift. Just seems like a classic pairing. Want one bad enough to add a red pad to a newer rifle. Plus one on a faster twist and a longer barrel.

If you have ever shot a short barrel rifle while still in the truck then you know why I say this, you might not hear it though.
Posted By: pete53 Re: decision made - 03/21/18
my coyote slayer friend has a red pad in a 220 swift Ruger no.1 and he kills coyotes a long ways out from the truck if he is posted out ahead of the dogs runnin coyotes. so that`s why I am building a swift too . I recheck my inventory on 220 swift brass I have a 1000 new cases ,200 loaded ,50 used cases found so far I don`t think I`ll run out for awhile. nice thing about a no.1 is its still short because it does not have a receiver so that saves 4 inches on gun length and a swift needs 26 inches to burn that powder up.
© 24hourcampfire