Home
What prompts you to get a Ruger No. 1, or what would prompt you to get one?

I’m not talking about the mystique of a single shot rifle in general, let’s assume that you like single shots in the first place. What I'm asking is, given the price of new No. 1’s what would prompt you to get a specific example? Or conversely, what stops you from getting a No. 1 in general or specifically?

For me, the configuration is important. I like the open sighted 1A and 1S with AH forend and barrel band swivel, they just look right to me, and I particularly like this new 24” 1A in .250 Savage since the 1S models are a bit barrel heavy and the 22” 1A models just seem a teensy bit off balance visually. Remember this is all just personal opinion, not trying to diss what someone else might really like.

Now the prices are pretty high these days and keep ratcheting up, but even those wouldn’t stop me. What stops me is the crap shoot on the wood - that's the deal breaker. At best you’re likely to get “okay” wood, one in a whole bunch might be really nice but even at these prices you’re just as likely to get a “baby crap brown” stock with zero personality.

Which leads me to a bit of a rant – volume dealers on gunbroker or any on line dealer who won’t show you the individual rifle, just the generic picture from Lipsey’s that in my cynical mind is likely the hand-picked finest stock in the entire run. Seriously, I’d have one of those 1A .250 Savages on the way or in my possession right now but I will not gamble $1350-$1400 on a wood lottery which such high odds of mediocrity.

So that said, I’ll repeat the original question – what is it that would prompt you to get or not get a Ruger No. 1 these days - chambering, configuration, wood, other...? Btw, to those who would stand superior to all and say with nose pointed skyward that they wouldn’t soil their hands on one, please take your empty virtue signaling up to the Hunter’s Campfire where it belongs. I’m only addressing this post to others who appreciate the No. 1.
Its the beauty and lines. I love the grey/pepper stainless and the blue/walnut. I personally like tinkering to make them tack drivers to makes them like my own kid. But the wood of today is not very desirable.
Its been years since I've seen one with nice wood. Mine are all bought used and older than 20yrs, except my 30-06 stainless/pepper/grey.
Aside from the obvious stuff you pointed out, I think that Ruger has offered cartridge choices and configurations that appeal both to users and, of course, collectors. Case in point is my last one, a fast-twist .243 able to handle almost all of the new long, pointy bullets available now. Other recent ones are tailor-made for hunters in the states that have recently changed their laws to allow certain cartridges in areas formerly limited to shotguns and MLs.

My .243 went down the road, a victim of my changing circumstances regarding places to hunt. Don't know if any others will come home with me, but I've learned to never say never about this stuff. I really prefer the Winchester/Browning rifles, so at the current price point, I'm much more likely to spend that kind of money on a fine example of the discontinued models with nice wood (and frankly, usually better workmanship). There are still used Rugers and a very few new ones at bargain prices, but I haven't seen any I want lately.
I’m with you, Jim, on the A and S configurations looking right in my eyes. I also like the M-94 feel that the forend has in my hands. And though the As are a bit light-forward, they are still fine-handling rifles. I also like the way the bigger S versions feel; their overall balance s probably better than the A versions but they are heftier as well. As “best-handling” No. 1s go however, I’d have to go with the 22” S versions. The 45-70 is my favorite followed closely by the 9.3x74R, the later bring just a bit heavier feeling. The As would follow closely in 3rd place. (I’ll bet an A in Hornet or Bee would be close to ideal also with a bit more weight in the barrel. )

As for wood, that has never been a big priority (perhaps because a really ‘killer’ piece of wood along with the M9422M wearing was stolen, probably for a boat gun, and wood has seemed less to me since.) I simply like the look of my rifles in the context of hair or fur. But I would certainly not crapshoot a rifle if wood was highly important to me.

I enjoy them. I like to shoot them. I enjoy hunting with them. There is nothing simple about them other than their reliable function in any conditions you throw at them.
I like the looks of the 1S and 1A particularly with the longer than usual barrels, like 24" on a 1A, 26" on a 1S. I like the RSI but it almost seems like there is a lot more gun behind the action than in front of it.

I like classic calibers. like 6.5x55, 7x57/.275, .450/400, 9.3x74R. but not .45-70, that belongs in a sharps or 1886. .30-30 belongs in a M94, etc.

if they come out with a 1S in 8x57, I'll pull my wallet out so fast I rip my pants....

I'm not as picky about wood.

I'm attracted to No1 becuz their pretty much the only game in town... those H&R or Henry are just too ugly, the Sharps are for BPCR, the K95 and other euro single shots are too expensive. If CZ/BRNO would bring back the EFFECT in euro calibers, such as those mentioned above, but priced like a No1, I'd have to get another safe....

Poole
[Linked Image]

Wood isn’t bad on my 45-70, just a bit hard to see in near twilight at 10 am on a deep sub-zero New Year’s Day!

[Linked Image]

9.3 is as plain as can be wood-wise, but nice wood is icing on rifles that are works of art in design and function.
+1
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

. What I'm asking is, given the price of new No. 1’s what would prompt you to get a specific example?

Given the current price, nothing could prompt me to buy one....
Ingwe, I agree completely. I have owned two #1s. My son still owns the second. At todays prices I cannot justify buying another. I love the lines and handling characteristics and consider them to be the most beautiful of all the single shots, but I will not buy another unless it is used and priced well below current market value.
I think the chambering and configuration is what interests me. I have owned several over the years and always thought the 30-30 would be perfect in the 1A. I missed the first run of 30-30's but hoping to snag one of the current ones if they ever come out.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Ingwe, I agree completely. I have owned two #1s. My son still owns the second. At todays prices I cannot justify buying another. I love the lines and handling characteristics and consider them to be the most beautiful of all the single shots, but I will not buy another unless it is used and priced well below current market value.

Exactly...the last one I bought ( first one in 25 years...) was a used one from Whittakers...couldn't tell it was used and it was $400 under the then MSRP....which was considerably less than the NOW MSRP....
An old metalsmith friend of mine said everyone should a Ruger No. 1 in their gun safe. He admired the workmanship, which is interesting as reworking Mausers was his specialty. The one he had was a .218 Bee.

My current No.1 is a red pad .220 Swift that has some excellent lumber on it and it does shoot.
Mostly, I’ve bought them used. Certainly, I wouldn’t pay full fare unless I was holding the rifle in my hands and it had everything I wanted in the rifle. Buying unseen and hoping for fine wood, these days anyway, seems rather much like the odds in Vegas. Why?
I have two No1's, a 416 Rigby that I bought new 21 years ago, and a 500 Nitro Express that I had done up as a rebarrel job 16 years ago.

For me, it's two things:
1. The aesthetics of the classic British single shot at a price a regular guy can afford.
2. The chamberings in famous African cartridges.

My taste in guns is quite conservative. Stainless is about as wild as I get. No offense to those who like the laminate or composite stocks, but I think they're just plain ugly, especially the Ruger grey. If it's your thing, and it makes you happy, go for it. It just isn't me. I like nice wood.

To my eye, few things are as sexy as a Farquarson, Frasier or Alexander Henry single shot. The graceful simplicity of them is something I've always admired. They just exude style and elegance. I'll never afford one of those, but Bill Ruger gave us all the gift of that look and handling with the No1 rifle. I've always been enamored with Africa, the rifles and cartridges. The No1 combines the style of the British sporter in classics like 416 Rigby, 450/400, and 300 H&H that working class shooters can acquire. Most of the new rifles have Home Depot 2x4 looking wood, it's a shame. I would never buy one without seeing the actual rifle in question. Older guns typically have much better wood, but some of the new ones I've seen are quite nice. Crap shoot.

It's sad that the market is now dominated by black rifles, I guess newer shooters just don't appreciate fine guns like they used to. Life goes on.
It's sad that the market is now dominated by black rifles, I guess newer shooters just don't appreciate fine guns like they used to. Life goes on.

On the other hand, it means that some nice stuff like commercial Mausers can be had at pretty good prices. Singles seem to stay about the same, but a careful shopper can get lucky sometimes.
My Dad got interested in them in the 1970's, as did I - the idea of lovely rifle with AAA wood at a reasonable price was very appealing. I now have most of his #1's, and have bought a few others over the years.

With good barrels, they usually shoot as well or better than anything else out there. You have great flexibility in loading - you can load any bullet and load you want, without worrying about feeding, mag length, or cycling a semi-auto.
They are very compact and handy, even with a 26" barrel. The action is extremely strong, so in certain chamberings - like say the 7.62x39, the .38-55, or the .45-70, you can somewhat increase the loads above SAAMI specs.

The end result is they allow the potential to give the best first shot at an animal.
The chambering is what got me. I have wanted one of these for a while and finally brought one home today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very Nice!
I bought my first No. 1 in 1975 - a 45-70.

I committed to buy my most recent today - a 30-40 Krag.

I have had 2 45-70, 2 .375H&H, a .458 Win, .416 Rigby, 450-400 3", 300 H&H and now the 30-40.

As stated above, I buy them for the chamberings coupled with the nostalgic lines that generally look just right to me (especially in the 1A and 1H). I also like the way they handle. I guess 43 years of familiarity makes them like an old friend.

The second 375, the 458, the 416 and the 30-40 all have killer wood. The 300 H&H and 450-400 are both Boddington's with above average wood for the breed, but not as nice as the best standard rifles.

And I have never had a No 1 that wouldn't shoot well with a little load development....and none of them shot poorly with anything I put in them.

Yes, I wish the lock time was faster and the triggers crisper. But no rifle is perfect at this price point.
I need a 30-06 1s and a 416 rigby and ill be done. Have a 243 B, 45/70 S and 375 H&H H now. I love how they feel and all mine shoot better than i can.
Only one #1 remains, a super accurate 1S .300 H&H of the Boddington series. Wood is plain, but trigger is to die for and it just feels perfect in the hands. It has been sub-MOA with everything I’ve shot in it. Boring.

I have had several other #1 rifles over the years, and find the #1S just feels the best to me. I really tried to like the #1As I had, but just found them ill balanced - too light on the front end.

As others have noted, these are elegant rifles that are easy to shoot. Not mentioned is that the safety actually blocks the striker. A nice and under appreciated feature of these fine rifles. No wonder Bill Ruger was fond of them.
my 22lr is just so much fun! game warden thought he was catching me hunting big game out of season and once he saw it was a 22 he almost arrested me for not selling it to him. really was a cool guy and when he sees me from time to time he always offers me cash for it, hehe! my first was a 4570 then the 22. think I got the 4570 in 77 0r 78.
Over the years I've acquired a few Ruger #1 rifles, a few "A"s, "B"s, a couple of "S"s and one "V". All mine are the earlier red pad guns. My preference would be for the "S" model with 26" barrels regardless of caliber. Accuracy on the red pad guns with Wilson barrels is a somewhat iffy thing. I've heard the later black pad guns with Ruger made barrels are much better. Current favorites are an "A" in 7x57 and an "S" in .300 Win. Mag. Three big boomers in .375H&H, .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby are in semi-retirement as my almost 80 year old shoulder does not appreciate the recoil any more.

While they probably should be considered a collection, mine were used for hunting. I never found the single loader to be a handicap and yes, I did practice so as to be able to do a rapid reload. My #1 rifles run from .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby. Never have bothered to get one in the RSI. They just never felt quite right to me. Nice looking rifles though.

Funny thing about the "S" models. It took me many years to find the two I have, both .300 Win. mag. and passed on a third Win. Mag. at a Cabella's. damn thing looked like it was rode hard, put away wet and ignore for ever after. When I got my first .300 Win. Mag., it was a special order from my LGS, a .300 Win. Mag. in the "S" model. They sent a "B". WTF? LGS made some phone calls and was told that's all there was available and take it or leave it. I took it and it was one of the very accurate ones with my hand load.

I can't speak for the black pad guns as I don't have one but every Ruger rifle I have, be it a #1 or M77, the interior wood has never been sealed. Becomes a problem in wet weather or wet hunting conditions. Just ask me how I know. I've been using #1's since 1971 and they do have their quircks.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by kandpand
The chambering is what got me. I have wanted one of these for a while and finally brought one home today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous!

Where'd you find a blued 30-30? I thought the only 30-30's still in production were the Stainless Lipsey's model?
Originally Posted by J23
Originally Posted by kandpand

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous!

Where'd you find a blued 30-30? I thought the only 30-30's still in production were the Stainless Lipsey's model?

I found it at Scheels. They had another in stock and a 303!
I bought my first No 1, a 1-B in 7mm Remington Mag about 30 years ago from a pawn shop in North Carolina. It had a 3x - 9x 50mm Leupold scope on it. There were some dings in the stock as it had obviously been hunted with. It was great gun for the kind of hunting we did in Eastern Carolina, which was mostly from permanent stands over bean fields or logging roads. After a move, I ended up doing my rifle deer hunting in the Eastern Kentucky hills. It didn't take too many hunts to see that the heavy 26" barrel and giant scope weren't ideal lugging up and down steep wooded hills. I sold the 7 mag and found a nice No 1 A in 30-06. It has a 2x - 7x 33mm Leupold on it and is in my mind about perfect for this kind of hunting.

Both rifles shot / shoot really well with both light and heavy weight bullets and tore up the ground hogs in the spring and summer. '

I really like the looks of the 1 A's with the open sights and barrel mounted sling mount. One in 45-70 is high on my list.
I currently have five, 1b's in 22 Hornet and 30-06, a sweet little red pad 1a in 7x57 , and tropicals in .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag. Although not the most accurate my favorite is the 7x57. I found it used at gun show. The wood looked like an old boat paddle, the finish clouded and missing in spots. That old factory finish was difficult to remove, but I did get it off and found it to have the prettiest wood of the bunch. I put the Kepplinger triggers in it along with the Hornet and 30-06, and upgraded the tropicals to modified Moyers triggers. The casting on those were rather rough and ugly, so with a Dremel, some files and some fine stones , I removed the cast in grooves, actually angling the face for a right handed shooter, smoothing and poilishing, and then blueing to match and have 3 screw triggers that are easier to adjust. Had they been available a the time I probably would have gone with the JARD triggers.
Never cared for the RSI #1's.............got one at a great price to rebarrel.
Stoopid thing shoots very well, so I just leave it as is.
I bought my first Ruger No. 1 with money my Uncle Jim left me when he passed. I was shooting left handed at the time, and wanted a 7x57 rifle. I bought the RSI model as I'm partial to full stock guns. I had the barrel engraved with my uncle's high school nickname "Little Gus". I bought a twin to it a few years later in 257 Roberts. I had to learn to shoot right handed after a pacemaker implant 3 yrs. ago. The 257 got traded off for a Kimber 84 Hunter in 257 Rob. The 7x57 has been hunted and I took a nice NY buck with it in 2011.
agree with most of the above, however there are yrs of mfg that I will not buy, always keep in mind they are not the best of bench shooting rifles, always exceptions.
I have thought of getting a Ruger #1 mostly with the idea of getting one in .45/70 now that Iowa will allow the use of straight cased centerfire rounds with the thought being that a scoped #1 might make a 150 yard shot doable with the .45/70
I wanted a #1 from the time they first came out. I just never came across the right one at the right time. I tried to order one back in the mid-80's, when I first started having enough money to play with, but there were none available in the caliber I wanted at the time. In the '89's I made my mind up to get a .45-70 that had been on the used rack at the lgs long enough I figured I could deal for it. I wasn't a dollar short, but after that sucker had been there for the better part of two years, I showed up a day late. Finally, about 11 ore 12 years ago, I got a phone call one night about a red pad 1B in .308 at what I thought was a good price. Next day I went down and bought it. I promptly removed the junior Hubbell telescope the prior owner had mounted on it and replaced it with a VXIII 1.5 - 5 which was much more in keeping with the lines of the rifle, I thought. I played around with the fore end a bit and it settled down and groups well for me, 3 shot groups run a little north and south of a moa with good loads. The wood is decent, not something that will make you catch your breath, but doesn't look like "walnut stained hardwood" either...just stable looking walnut with enough grain to give it a little life. I like the lines of the rifle, I like carrying it in the woods. I shot a pretty good deer with it. It's among the top four rifles I'm liable to take deer hunting. I would get another one if I came across the right one in the right caliber. What would that be? I won't know until I see it.
To the OP ... what it's chambered in, barrel length and weight, sights or not, finish (blued vs stainless), and price would all weigh in for me. I've owned 4-5 over the years, none now, and I'm not sure I'll own another one. Ruger seems bound and determined to screw up and put the right cartridge in the wrong version of the rifle, for example, the .30-30 should be in the #1 international and the .257 Roberts in a #1 A, not the other way around. They can't bother us with a #1B in .264, 7mm RM, or .300 Win Mag? I think they're just fiddle-farting the #1 to death through incompetence, either accidental or deliberate.
Every no.1 I own was bought on price alone. When I find one priced right, I find a reason to like it. The last was a 1KA in
257 Roberts. Cool caliber, love 1As, not to fond of the stainless but since I carry it hunting the stainless is doable, wood sucked but I can over look it since I paid pennies on the dollar for it. Love when some dufus wants to trade something nice for an AR15. My least favorite No 1 in the safe is a 1B in .243 . Im just not a fan of the Bs beavertail forend. But the gun will shoot tiny groups so it gets a pass.
Well I "m in my late 80s so I have to rush things a little to get projects done. I have two 1s one in 25-06 acquired at about 1/2 list looked to be unfired nice wood and Ruger drilled the trird pair of holes free except for a nice ride to Newport. The other is a hornet being rebarreled to a 218 mashburn bee 1 in 10 to go with a sbh also to be 1 in 10 in mashburn bee. hope to be around to finish both.The smith has in his rack a ruger 1 customized to a sharps round, Brass may have to be lath turned and his customer has passed, wife does not want it. Don K
Well my RSI wears an old M8 4x. Looks a bit gangly.
So I bought an M8 4X compact.
Hopefully it looks a little better. This the first version compact, so has more tube length to play with.
A little shorter scope and maybe larger objective (dunno, might be illusion).
If I don't like it can put on my CZ 455 .22 lr.
Looks (My red pad 270 Win)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Aqwii9D.jpg?2[/img]

Sometimes you get lucky on the accuracy

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mWOkmyX.jpg?1[/img]

Although the No.3's are fun also (my 30-40 Krag)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZBBeKFi.jpg?1[/img]

Sorry, I haven't got the hang of the new picture posting yet.
You can use those links, just remove the ?1 at the end of them
As long as 1885’s are available there has never been any reason to consider anything else.
Thanks, I can't edit my old post so I just quoted it with the ?1 removed

Originally Posted by Fjold
Looks (My red pad 270 Win)

[Linked Image]

Sometimes you get lucky on the accuracy

[Linked Image]

Although the No.3's are fun also (my 30-40 Krag)

[Linked Image]

Sorry, I haven't got the hang of the new picture posting yet.

I'm still new to No 1's having purchased my 1st one in March (1-A, .275 Rigby (foreground)) and a 2nd (1-S .35 Whelen) just last week.
I think I'm going to like them!

[Linked Image]
Now that is a perfect pair!

I have the same pair and.......

Originally Posted by dSmith_45
I'm still new to No 1's having purchased my 1st one in March (1-A, .275 Rigby (foreground)) and a 2nd (1-S .35 Whelen) just last week.

WARNING!!!!!

These things are ADDICTIVE!

Poole
PS where'd you get that cool hat?!?!
Only have one No.1 Standard. Bought new in 1999[I think]. Black pad, no sights, quarter-rib. 30-06. Great rifle. Range rifle now, as I no longer chase deer or elk.
Originally Posted by Bill Poole

Originally Posted by dSmith_45

Poole
PS where'd you get that cool hat?!?!

While in London the beginning of July for "The Cure''s 40th Anniversary Concert in Hyde Park I stopped by Rigby's offices & shop on Pensbury Place.
You can buy Rigby ball caps and shirts on their website.
I have always liked the Number Ones; especially the first couple of years. The stocks were much better shaped, fitted, and finished. My first one was a 1 A in 30/06 which I bought in 1971, the next was a 1 B in 6mm Rem. The 6mm was wonderfully accurate and I wore the barrel out on it then re-barreled to 45x2 7/8. The 30/06, I traded off (a decision I regretted soon after). I paid 225 dollars for the '06 and 245 for the 6mm. At the time, that equalled about eight days work so I guess today's prices are not horrendous, although, as I said, I think the workmanship was much better on the earlier rifles. Currently, I have a Number One which I re-barreled to 303 Epps (25" barrel) except in a 30 cal. barrel. I expect I'll keep it for the duration. The rifles are shaped nicely and balanced well. The 1-A models are super compact and handy. I like carrying the Number One and it suits my hunting style (I walk around a lot, carrying a rifle, and dream about shooting something). On those occasions where I have shot animals with them, they just felt right. GD
I fell for the No.1 some 50 years ago. Unlike most, the 1B caught my eye. Have had my share over the years.. Price and wood are/were most important when I bought. Pretty much out of gun buying these days, unless it's for the Grandkids. Like Jim, if I'm paying all the money I needed to see and inspect what I'm buying.

Pretty much a Ruger guy. Paid way to much for this 257 Roberts No.1B years ago, but time has made it right. M77UL is also 257 Roberts.

[Linked Image]
I'd buy one in 30/30, but then I'd buy the Henry when/if they make one in 30/30. Otherwise I don't give a tinker's damn about Number 1's.
Originally Posted by duckster
I have thought of getting a Ruger #1 mostly with the idea of getting one in .45/70 now that Iowa will allow the use of straight cased centerfire rounds with the thought being that a scoped #1 might make a 150 yard shot doable with the .45/70

With a scoped 45/70, I'd say 250yds isn't unreasonable for a Ruger in 45/70 loaded up to what the rifle can take.

a 300gr TTSX loaded max in an 2moa rifle, is a center hold 200 yd gun, with the bullet NEVER over 4" +/- trajectory.
At 250yds, hold on the top of the back and take out the Buck's heart!

MOOSE???
Even better.
same aiming at 1900fps using the 450gr TTSX, considering a 10" MPBR zone.
drop it into a big bulls heart at 300 yds with a hump aiming point.
Like the lines, and have the confidence to use them.
I have a 1A 7x57 and the 22" .45-70 (don't remember the letter, too late and too lazy to look).
The 7mm wears a 2-7x32 Monarch, the .45-70 an old 2.5 M8. The 7mm has better wood and is a smooch lighter, the .45-70 balances better.
I refer to them as the twins and tell folks, as I own two of them, #1's are the only guns I collect and could therefore never sell just one of them. I plan on selling neither and if luck smiles on me, acquiring more.
I'll likely stick to the used market, as the inletting on some of the newer ones I've looked at leaves a lot to be desired, not to mention some of the rather pedestrian wood.
They are my favorite rifles to hunt with and the .45-70 may be my favorite rifle period.
I too always liked the looks of the Ruger No1. The one I have today is a beautiful walnut and blue in 405 Win. Dressed up with a Von Ringler 1 inch classic leather sling and a peep sight it looks right to my eye and carries about as well as my model 94 Winchester.
the Ruger # 1 is one of the finest single shot rifles ever made for us blue collar people, Bill Ruger built this single shot rifle with the good intention for us poor guys,we could afford a no.1 and enjoy shooting and hunting with a no.1 . I own a bunch of no.1`s and do hunt with a custom no.1 for deer and antelope 257 Weather Mag. this rifle shoots very well. I also just built a no.1 in a 220 swift for coyote hunting will make a good truck rifle this winter. I try to purchase 1 or 2 no.1`s every year so if anyone has some odd cartridge ones for sale I just might add it to my collection ? thank you , Pete53
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
What prompts you to get a Ruger No. 1, or what would prompt you to get one?

I don't have any at the moment. I owned 5 or 6 I think.

If the right cartridge / configuration combination came along, I would probably buy another. I don't think they are very likely at this point. IMHO they're priced beyond their purely functional value and the recent cartridge / configuration combinations don't intrigue me enough to knowingly over-spend. In other words, the cartridges and rifle configurations, taken together, don't appeal strongly enough to my loonyism.

The SS .30-30 is tempting .. as tempted as I've been in a while.

Tom
When I see a Ruger No.1, I see action first; then the wood. The barrel and configuration mean little to me. Collector status does not do it either here.

I buy when I can, really the two items; action and wood..........and the price accordingly. If the wood is poor, then the action still does it for me at the right price. Internet pricing, retail pricing does not come into play into my buys, cash is king.

I build what I want on the No.1 action(wood). Time is too short to wait for a specific caliber or configuration. The barrels are replaced with premium air guaged barrels. Rifles end up pretty much factory in looks usually, but every now and then good wood, engraving, etc sway one a little. I especially like a 22lr that used to be a hornet, a fun gun all around.

I reckon, parts is why I would buy a Ruger No.1. Nothing against those that like factory rifles, collections, or whatever; just the parts is enough for me now.
I've always wanted one and finally came across one of the configurations I was interested in this past weekend, a 1V in .25-06.
[Linked Image]
Here's mine w crappy wood. Think that why I got it for OK price.

RSI .243 win...........of demand or ho hum?
Think she might be going on the block.

[Linked Image]
Well, she's gone.

Now on the hunt for a 1A with decent wood.
Figure it might be my mule deer rifle in the next yr or so.
They are such beautiful rifles...probably the best rifle Bill ever came up with.

I have owned:
1B .22/250
1H .375 H&H
1B .25-06
K1H .405
K1A 7.62x39
K1A .35 Whelen

...all are gone at this point...the only one I have is a #3 in .22 Hornet.

The only one I miss is the K1A 7.62x39...had AAA+ wood and shot well under MOA. Let a friend talk me out of it as it was to me just too beautiful to take into the field. If that same stainless gun was available with the black/gray laminated stock I would gladly buy one...

Also wish that the K1H .405 Winchester had been the same S configuration as the .45-70... That said when the gun went off pushing the 300 grain bullet at 2200 fps the extra weight didn't seem like such a bad thing....

Bob
I've never owned a #1 but always liked the 1As. The short 22" bbl didn't feel right in my hands, too short OAL for my liking.

When I found that they made the #1A in 275Rigby and with a 24" bbl, I jumped on the chance to buy a new one. The red pad and express sights are an added bonus. I like it a lot and it makes a very nice alternative to all the stainless and fiberglass in the safe. Rounded up some 175gr RN to make the total pkg and pray for a moose tag. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Added a Trop safety ......

[Linked Image]
I've had 4 #1's and still own one. I do think they are an exceedingly elegant rifle. Much better than most of the clubby looking British actions such as the Fraser or Farquharson and equal to some of the German actions. I've had a 300 Win. Mag, 22-250 and a 375 H&H. The one I have left is a 450/400 and if I were to acquire another it would be a 9.3 X 74R. The 275 Rigby is cool but I have a 7 X 57 in a drilling which is essentially the same thing with a different name. Good rifles and I can't say anything bad about them.
I have a 1S in 308. Always liked the look of the No 1, but couldn't afford one 'til now. After a long hunt found one at Cabelas, of all places, for $1,040. That was two years ago. At current prices, I can't see getting another. I like the classic lines, and like single shots.

Like BMW motorcycles. I remember seeing my first BMW motorcycle in my early teens. Always wanted one. Ended up owning two. A 1983 R100, which is the classic looking BMW. And, a '95 R1100R. Always like the '83 better. But now, it seems the only resemblance to the classic is the jugs sticking out the sides. Too much fluff has been added to them. And, like the No 1, the price has climbed to where I don't see the value.
That one's a beauty.
Back in 1999 I went to the LGS and had them haul out every Ruger #1 they had in stock. I picked the one with the prettiest lumber, which happened to be a #1V in .223. I have killed thousands of ground squirrels with it. Getting it to shoot accurately was a trip. I free floated the fore end with acraglass. The real key was using a Lee Collet die for reloading. It will put 5 shots in 5/8" at 100 yards with neck sized Winchester brass, 50 grain Vmax bullets and a stout dose of H335. Ground squirrels within 350 yards don't stand a chance, and plenty farther away have been initiated into the red mist club. I love this rifle.
I own only one Ruger #1, which I bought about 5 years ago new. It's a 1 C in .45-70 with the Circassian walnut......will be one of the last I ever relinquish.

Killed my first Black Bear with it.
I bought my one and only on impulse. I always liked the looks but just never saw the right one. Then one day I saw a 30/40 Krag with outstanding Circassian wood. I put a Leupold 1x5 on it and zeroed it with factory Remingtons. It shoots well as is, trigger is good so no complaints.

I mostly hunt with longbows and recurve bows these days, but may take the 30/40 next year.
Some pics of my #1V

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Anyone have any experience with a #1 in 35 Whelen? I can pick one up for about 1k. I always liked the caliber.
Yes mine has treated me very well. Have used 250 gr. bullets of various makes with complete satisfaction
and 225's also. I like the 250's better. Wish I had known you were looking. Had some surgeries recently
that need to be paid for.........
I got a line on a red pad 1A in .30-06.
Metal is super good and stock has two small marks.
No rings...........$850.
Told the guy I'd get back with him.................
© 24hourcampfire