Home

With the craze of stainless steel and super doozy rifles, I still pass that stuff up for more traditional guns. I have always liked a Sharps since I was a kid. I remember buying one of the cap guns at Woolworths and still have it today.

Since then I have collected 4 original Sharps rifles, 3 which were shipped to Montana in the 1870's for the last of the Northern buffalo hunts. I also have several Shiloh Sharps rifles that are even better quality than the original guns, but there is nothing like an original.

I ordered this 1877 in November of 2013 and although it was hard waiting that long for them to get it built, it is truly a masterpiece. I took it out yesterday again, to look for antelope. We haven't seen that many this fall and I really wanted to shoot one with the 1877.

After finally finding a group of antelope about a mile away, then sneaking/crawling for another 1/2 mile, I was able to slip the rifle over a rim of rocks I was hiding behind and took a 209 yard shot and dropped the antelope dead in his tracks. The beauty of the hunt isn't always in the size of the horns, but equally important is the gun you use...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nicely done, Kirk! Beautiful rifle!

Jeff
A hunt like that might be as close to a time machine as anyone will ever get. Did you hear voices?
Well, you didn't waste any time putting that puppy to work! Congrats.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The beauty of the hunt isn't always in the size of the horns, but equally important is the gun you use...

That is the way it has always been for me. I have passed on hunts when I could not use the gun I wanted.
Nicely done with a fine lookin shootin piece.
That rifle is absolutely beautiful! Beauty is demonstrated by what beauty does. I really appreciate that you actually hunted with it, successfully. It is not the same to see a wonderful weapon simply on display. Yes, it is a piece of art - and at the same time it is a magnificent man made tool. I appreciate both. Thanks for posting this! You have honored it by using it and not just putting in on display. You have have shown a great gun, a great hunt and a man that understands both.

I took this picture earlier that morning in a sandstone rim on the same ranch...

[Linked Image]
you speak words of wisdom shap
sorry missed spelled shrap
Beautiful gun and antelope.
I plan to take mine out west next year after a speedgoat. Mine is a pedersoli silhouette 1874 but one day i'll have a Shiloh no1
Nice looking rifle, you have impeccable taste.
Well done, Quigley!
Now that is just plain cool!!!! Congrats and thanks for sharing.
So, for the rifle loonies, what caliber is that 1875 (right?) and who made it? Only ones I've see were at C.Sharps, but I've always plunked down my plata for their Hi-Walls.

Great post!
Originally Posted by Mesa
So, for the rifle loonies, what caliber is that 1875 (right?) and who made it? Only ones I've see were at C.Sharps, but I've always plunked down my plata for their Hi-Walls.

Great post!

It is a model 1877 and Shiloh Rifles made it in 45-70...
Gorgeous rifle! And a great story, congrats.
Well done!
I'm sure you feel immense pride using your single shot. I'm proud for you.
© 24hourcampfire