Home
Posted By: JeffG De haas or Grant? - 11/25/18
I need a single-shot reference book to clarify a Stevens rolling block action. Which book would be the better reference Frank De haas', or James Grant's "More Single Shot Rifles"

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Posted By: Mesa Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/01/18
I prefer de Haas' book, which usually has more details since Frank was a gunsmith and shooter first and a collector a very distant second. On the other hand, there may be a more recent edition of Grant's book than my original first edition, the book that infected me with chronic single shot mania in 1950....
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/01/18
Dang, you're old enough to be ingwe's father!😱
Posted By: lotech Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/02/18
Dehaas books are excellent with lots of technical information as well as Dehaas' opinions which are worth something. The Grant books are good, but second to Dehaas.
Posted By: Mesa Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/02/18
I'm old enough to actually have known Frank de Haas. Like many gunsmiths he could be grumpy but was genuinely interested in anyone who was serious about guns.

I also liked his tendency to "repurpose" gun parts and old guns that had some life left in them. He was very like P.O. Ackley in that. Always looking for a way to recycle gun stuff and came up with some very inventive ways to do it. I suspect that "The Great Depression" had made a Great Impression on gunsmiths of their generation and that accounted for their frugality and the inventiveness that it sparked.

I treasure my letters from Frank de Haas, Ken Waters, and Parker Ackley. So you can see I'm old enough to know what a letter is, and what it's worth....to me those words from those adult gun genius's to an unknown "kid" are priceless.
Posted By: JeffG Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/03/18
Well Thanks for all the replies, and to your point about "creative repurposing" I am trying to find out more about a particular "custom" Stevens 414. Have any of you seen a Stevens mainspring set-up like this?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ctw Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/03/18
I think that is the later version.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/stevens-favorite-mainsprings/

Posted By: JeffG Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/03/18
It's a modification of that system Chris, the tail of the spring typically bears against a slot in the trigger spring screw in the bottom tang. This one bears into the adjustable pin in the rear block between the tangs, and the block is not typical either. It's definitely a one-off custom, I'm just wondering if it has any precedents from other rolling block actions.
Posted By: ctw Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/04/18
Memory says these actions were maybe marked on the front (stampted) does your action have any markings?
Posted By: JeffG Re: De haas or Grant? - 12/04/18
nope, no marks on the front of the frame, and the tangs have been altered, so no markings there either. Just a fun little puzzle, that I'm looking forward to testing some ammo through.
© 24hourcampfire