Home
Posted By: ringworm Spare cartridges when hunting - 12/13/18
So show me how you guys carry your spare loaded rounds.
I had a galco cuff on a 7x57 and it didn't throw the balance off to terribly.
But something like 400gr 45-70s in the same set-up would.
My #1's are .275 Rigby (same as your 7x57) and .35 Whelen. I have a three round wrist cuff and carry five more in a 1903 stripper clip in my shirt pocket.
Would one of the wrist cuffs fir snug around the forend just in front of the front scope ring of a #1?
I'm Sure you could have one made to fit. Mine fits over my hunting coat so it's way more than 40mm diameter
Buttstock Cartridge Holder

This isn't my gun obviously but this is the sort of thing I use. You can get them made for centerfire cartridges, for rimfire cartridges & for shotgun shells. They're what I use on my Encores and Contenders.
All my outfits have pockets. Hold one between two fingers when shooting if there's a potential to miss.
Those butrstock carriers throw too much weight rearward for my taste. The #1 with a 22" tube has such wonderful balance and pointability. It's a shame to add 5 rounds to the back side.
Something leather holding 2 rounds, wrapped around between the scope rings would be perfect.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Buttstock Cartridge Holder

This isn't my gun obviously but this is the sort of thing I use. You can get them made for centerfire cartridges, for rimfire cartridges & for shotgun shells. They're what I use on my Encores and Contenders.

I have 2 or 3 around here that I will use with my single shots as well as my bolt guns.
Blaser made a 2 rounder. I'd like to find one of them but no Blaser dealers around these parts
Originally Posted by 1minute
All my outfits have pockets. Hold one between two fingers when shooting if there's a potential to miss.

This. But don't miss and you've nothing to worry about.
Originally Posted by ringworm
Blaser made a 2 rounder. I'd like to find one of them but no Blaser dealers around these parts

I have one. Let me see if there are any in stock in San Antonio
That would be great.
Thanks you
Average fella can put a couple of cartridges between the fingers of the off hand while shooting in case they are needed quickly. If not, put them wherever....

I do that when hunting pigs with a single shot and it might surprise how quickly one can reload in that fashion.
I don't hunt pigs, but my carrier is a coat or a shirt pocket. I don't trust those new fangled, high tech carrier thingies.
Those butrstock carriers throw too much weight rearward for my taste. The #1 with a 22" tube has such wonderful balance and pointability. It's a shame to add 5 rounds to the back side.
Something leather holding 2 rounds, wrapped around between the scope rings would be perfect.

[Linked Image]

Nice idea. Is your #1 a 30-40 Krag or a 303 British?
45-70
Loops on belt
Stick it?

https://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/sap-two-round-holder
because my Ruger #1 rifle has a 27 inch barrel and I have a bi-pod on it for out west ,in Minnesota no bi-pod I just use a covered boot on butt stock that has 6 shells on my 257 Weatherby Mag.,i also have a 4.5-14 x56 Nightforce scope on this rifle too. this year I took 2 shots with this Ruger #1 this fall 1st shot at a giant whitetail buck 50 feet and buck was run`n too, the other shot the 2nd shot was a decent mule deer buck at 400 yards measured too, both bucks are dead and in my freezer. why worry about gun stability ,weight or anything else except accuracy on your 1st shot , last year 1 shot too big mule deer buck off hand 200 yards measured afterwards, confidence in your rifle is what you need when you shoot a animal on that 1 shot .
I use a shell carrier that stretches over the buttstock of my Ruger #1V. I think it is from Uncle Mike's. It works great for whistle pig shooting.

[Linked Image]
"Average fella can put a couple of cartridges between the fingers of the off hand while shooting in case they are needed quickly. If not, put them wherever...."

Try that in really cold weather and you'll soon look foe other options. Just ask me how I know. For most of my #1's the butt cuff works from quite well to reasonably well. For the big stuff which is anything over the .375 H&H I generally use an ugly looking custom made by me affair that works quite well. It goes on my belt. My Ruger #1 rifles run from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby plus the 45-70. There is an article by the late Al Miller from RIFLE Magazine on speed loading the single shot rifle. If the OP is interested, and will PM a snail mail address, I can make him a copy. Some good info in the article and should answer his questions.
Paul B.
One up the spout and a couple spares in a pocket. If rapid re-loading is a concern then I opt for a repeating rifle.
It's not about fast loading.
Many of my stands are lock on and I don't want to stand up and beer digging in a pants pocket of I miss it off I want to take 2 deer. I don't always wear a coat in SC seeing as it's not cold till December.
I have elastic cuffs on the butt, on single shot and double. On repeaters too, when I'm out culling. I don't notice any adverse effect on balance, and it is much faster to reload from than a pocket, belt etc. If I'm feeling particularly optimistic I might have some more rounds in one of those MTM belt carriers, or .303 stripper clips in the pocket to stop them rattling in the case of the 9.3x74. Bag limits are pretty much unknown here.

[Linked Image]

Boy this is about perfect and doesnt detract from a the rifle like some other setups
I saw somewhere that advertised single round holders that attached to either side of an Encore barrel via epoxy. They looked nice, but lost the ad. I do have a three round leather holder with velcro that attaches to my wrist. OK, but not really thrilled with that setup. I am one who does not like the extra weight of additional rounds on the butt stock. I do keep two rounds between my fingers when shooting. It is a royal pain in the butt to keep up with them, but it is the best I can do for now.
Back in the days when i was hunting with a Contender I used an elastic wrist cuff.

These days I'd get a wrist cartridge holder from 7X Leather. He'll do custom work too.
Originally Posted by cv540

[Linked Image]

Boy this is about perfect and doesnt detract from a the rifle like some other setups

I have the Blaser version of one of these - I purchased it from Jerry Russell at Sundog firearms, he is a Blaser dealer

Sundog Firearms
43176 Cupper Creek Rd
Kimberly, OR 97848
OREGON Tel.:541-934-2117
Fax:541-934-2117
E-Mail:[email protected]
www.sundogfirearms.com

driver
It's not about fast loading.
Many of my stands are lock on and I don't want to stand up and beer digging in a pants pocket of I miss it off I want to take 2 deer. I don't always wear a coat in SC seeing as it's not cold till December.

If a full butt cuff affect the weights of the rifle that much, try putting one one or two rounds in the cuff. Shouldn't affect balance all that much.
Paul B.
Found a neoprene 2 round carrier called the Sidecart similar to the nice leather one suggested earlier: link here.
Why would a single shot shooter need a spare?
Cody Weiser makes some nice custom ammo Bracelets that are reasonably priced.He also is great to deal with.

With a Sharps, it is nice to have a nice spare carrier. If you do shoot them right the first time, you don't need more than one...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Why would a single shot shooter need a spare?

Two is one, one is none.
when I use my Ruger #1 I put a cartridge in each pocket. That way any hand in any pocket will get me a reload but no cartridge click against each other.

However I carry no cartridges when I hunt with my other single shot.

[Linked Image]my Rifle 2 by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
I do carry a small flat horn with enough powder for about 4 more shots,and I also carry a ball-block with 2 patched balls in it.
But that's all.
I always carry on the belt...

[Linked Image]
My wife sewed elastic shell holders to the sleeve of my hunting coat.

Now I use a butt sleeve on my drilling, it is a single shot rifle just two shotgun barrels added.

[Linked Image]
I use a Simply Rugged belt slide by Rob Leahy...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have neoprene wrist cuffs that I used to use when I hunted a lot with contender pistols. Somewhere along the line with the single shot rifles I stopped using them and just put one round in every jacket and pants pocket. That way no matter where I reach, there's a round.

I learned that from turkey hunting with my single 10ga, because no matter where I put more than one or two of those 3 1/2" logs, it felt like too many. laugh So I spread them around.
LOL, I did the same thing when deer hunting
I use two of an Uncle Mikes or maybe it's Bob Allen's cheap shell holder 6 rounds, one in each pocket. I didn't like the jingling sound when the cartridges were just loose in my pockets, plus I kept losing them.
© 24hourcampfire