Home
Posted By: Mtngroan Suppressed T/C Encore - 02/09/19
I have been thinking about a short barrled suppressed hunting rifle, and got to thinking an Encore, cut short with a suppressor would be a handy little rifle. With there being no action it would make for a shorter platform. Anybody have one they cut and suppressed. I'm thinking .243, 7mm-08, 0r .280. I have stuff to reload these. Maybe a Creedmore? Not a longrange rifle by any means, but a 200 to 300 yard hunting rifle. How is the accuracy on these? I have a 9" 30 cal SAS Resistor can, and a 6" 6.5 SAS Barricade. A 6.5 or smaller would be my shortest option. Any thoughts?
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Suppressed T/C Encore - 02/09/19
I did the same thing right before I moved, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. I have a suppressor for my AR in 458 socom. I cut and threaded an encore barrel in 45-70 for the same can.
Posted By: rodeojoe Re: Suppressed T/C Encore - 02/13/19
I did a 20" MGM 308win barrel for my Encore.
Used a titanium Yankee Hill can.
Was shooting 165 hand loads great before adding the can.
Added the can and those grouped real bad.
Had some 125 gr. reduced recoil loads, tried them and they grouped great.

It was light and did handle great.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Suppressed T/C Encore - 02/13/19
Not an Encore, but it might give a visual perspective of some use. 19" barrel, heavy contour in .30 caliber bore. Handles quite well and shoots good enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As noted the platform has no action and is noticeably shorter for a given barrel length than more conventional arms. I see little gain in chopping the barrel from a handling perspective and doing so will cost you on long range performance to some degree.

DD
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Suppressed T/C Encore - 02/13/19
I have a Contender .44 mag with a suppressor that has been my main "hog gun" for several years. Mine is a 14" barrel with a "can" a bit longer than the barrel. Can is welded on, to avoid needing an SBR permit - to go with the suppressor permit! Longest kill shot I've made on a hog was around 75 yards - but that was a long shot for the way I hunt hogs! Close in, works great. I shoot sub sonic hard cast bullets from 300 to 350 gr. Knock down power is impressive, and twice I've killed two hogs with one shot - and not recovered the bullet. Not big hogs, but hogs.

The short barred Contender with suppressor is a hog killing machine!

Mike Holmes
© 24hourcampfire