Home
Posted By: BaileyBradshaw Rising block rifle - 05/11/19
https://youtu.be/RcrlliszH5k

Short video of a friend and owner of my prototype Rising block rifle (7X57R), shooting it at 400yds. That satisfying "PLINK" and the case ejection make me smile.

a few pictures of another Rising block in 7X65R

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biebs Re: Rising block rifle - 05/11/19
Interesting concept!
Posted By: Copenhagen Re: Rising block rifle - 05/19/19
Bailey, the wood and metal work on that gun look amazing. Nice work! I wasn’t expecting the action to work so fast. Would love to see one up close some day.

Do you also make knives?
Posted By: Copenhagen Re: Rising block rifle - 05/19/19
I ask because, coincidentally I own a knife crafted by a fellow named Bailey Bradshaw...bought it years ago but I think I got it through a dealer and not direct from the maker.
Posted By: ctw Re: Rising block rifle - 05/19/19
That is awsome! Looking at it probably woul not be to difficult to make a switch barrel set each having there own block? Thinking about the safety what made you change?
Posted By: BaileyBradshaw Re: Rising block rifle - 05/20/19
Cope,

Thanks for the kind words on the rifle. It's really a splendid rifle. Has every quality I can think a stalking rifle should have. It carries great, is very accurate, has a wonderful trigger and has plenty of strength.

I did make knives prior to building rifles. I was a full time bladesmith for 12 yrs, and earned Mastersmith rating from the American Bladesmith society. Would enjoy seeing the knife you have.

CTW,

The double rifles on the rising block design are able to be taken down by removing the pin that connects the barrel block to the underlever. On the single shot action, that pin is not exposed like it is on the doubles, so a hole int he side of the action would be required.

Regarding the safety, it simply works better with the trigger/sear mechanism in the Rising block than a traditional tang safety. It blocks both the trigger and sear, and in testing it, I beat the snot out of the action with a wood mallet from every angle and it never disengaged or allowed an accidental firing. It is very easy to operate and feels natural since it's a simple swipe with the thumb.

The Gentleman in the video making the 400yd shot has since shot his Rising block at 600yds with iron sights and printed a 3 shot 2.3 moa group.
Posted By: Copenhagen Re: Rising block rifle - 05/20/19
I found it on the first try (unusual) in the back of the safe. Now I remember why I snapped it up. I really appreciate forged blades and great craftsmanship, and I am a fan of Bob Loveless knives. Your knife was not only beautiful and well made, but it had a tapered tang, which is a such a great feature for balance but is so rarely found.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ahhh yes, Made a small batch of those around 2004-2005. Forged 52100 steel, sambar stag scales.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rising block rifle - 05/20/19
you got an extra rifle to sell me ?
Pete,

The rifle pictured in this thread is available. I have more details on my website available page
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rising block rifle - 05/20/19
thank you nice rifle
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rising block rifle - 05/21/19
Beautiful work...on the rifle and the knife.
Posted By: BaileyBradshaw Re: Rising block rifle - 05/21/19
Thank you Sir
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rising block rifle - 05/22/19
Bailey, Are you still in the Wagyu beef business?
Posted By: willowcreek1996 Re: Rising block rifle - 05/22/19
Oh, that is a very nice rifle. I need a bigger "fun fund" or a smaller wish list.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Rising block rifle - 05/23/19
Wow!

Very cool concept, and very nice rifle.

Guy
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Rising block rifle - 05/23/19
man i wish i wasn't old, worn out and broke! i would have a laundry list of these fine rifles 2 pages long!
to use the newest generations vernacular Totally Awesome.
Posted By: BaileyBradshaw Re: Rising block rifle - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Bailey, Are you still in the Wagyu beef business?

I have a steer I will be harvesting later this year. I don't have any beef currently....which is really sad....

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the rifle. It has found a home in the Texas hill country. I'll have another one finished soon in 30R blaser.
Posted By: Copenhagen Re: Rising block rifle - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by deerstalker
man i wish i wasn't old, worn out and broke! i would have a laundry list of these fine rifles 2 pages long!
to use the newest generations vernacular Totally Awesome.

Deerstalker...”totally awesome” might be from
A couple generations back. My 10 year old said “nobody really says that Dad, they’d say ‘that’s sick!’”

I can’t keep up. smirk

Oh, and Bailey, that rifle is sick!
Posted By: ctw Re: Rising block rifle - 05/27/19
Might you be offering a bare action in the future?
Posted By: BaileyBradshaw Re: Rising block rifle - 05/27/19
Originally Posted by ctw
Might you be offering a bare action in the future?

I can sell actions now. I have a few on the bench at about 75% complete.
Posted By: ctw Re: Rising block rifle - 05/27/19
Thank You
Looking on gunsinternational they are not listed, Interested can you please provide details like pricing and delivery?
CTW, I sent you a PM
Posted By: Biebs Re: Rising block rifle - 05/27/19
Very shortly I hope to be showing off my Bradshaw double rifle set, with barrels in 500 NE and 450-400, with a $4K piece of walnut, deep relief engraving, gold accents....the works.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rising block rifle - 05/27/19
Originally Posted by BaileyBradshaw
[Linked Image]

Wow.

Now, that’s a piece of wood!

Beautiful.

DF
Posted By: Cascade Re: Rising block rifle - 05/28/19
Wow! Beautiful double rifle.

My goodness!