Home
Posted By: Pappy348 1st Henry in the flesh - 07/24/19
Saw my first Henry single today, a 20ga youth model. Was very impressed with the looks, and not just for $448 (a little high I believe). The trigger was pretty light and crisp too, which makes me hopeful about my incomer.

The sides of the action are pretty much devoid of any sculpting that might give it a bit of character, but the wood was quite nice and neatly checkered and finished. Finally, a Henry I can like.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 07/25/19
I have yet to see one of the Henry single shot shotguns. A 20 ga. would be real interesting for me. If they look anything like my Henry single in .308 they must be nice. $448 was MSRP on my .308 also but I got it at a Runnings, home, farm & outdoor store and they knocked it down to $423. and change including tax and out the door back in January. Picked up a base model Henry .22 lever gun from there last Oct. and both have real nice wood, shoot well, and I'm real happy with 'em. I may not be able to resist a Henry 20 ga. single. I heard the single shots all had heavy triggers and my .308 does somewhat, but I guess there's some cures for that. Maybe the folks at Henry heard all the complaints and did something about it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 07/25/19
Kinda wish they would recreate the old Stevens 44.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 07/25/19
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Kinda wish they would recreate the old Stevens 44.

[Linked Image]

In 6.5 Creedmoor?🤔

Sorry, just channeling my inner jackass.

Actually, I have occasional bouts of lust for one of the fancy Low Walls with octagon to round barrels, mixed with Martini aspirations. Don't know if I'll ever succumb; a few quiet moments with my two little Brownings usually brings me out of it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 07/25/19
Is a .25-20 SS. Might not hurt if they chambered from something a little more modern. Just a guess. This one shoots fairly well on the 100 yard butt.

Don't recall the load precisely and too lazy to go look, but it was something around 17 gr of Goex 3f and an Ideal 257283 of 30:1 alloy. About .030" compression and a .030 card wad. What is not shown in the picture is the aperture sight that mounts on the tang.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I have yet to see one of the Henry single shot shotguns. A 20 ga. would be real interesting for me. If they look anything like my Henry single in .308 they must be nice. $448 was MSRP on my .308 also but I got it at a Runnings, home, farm & outdoor store and they knocked it down to $423. and change including tax and out the door back in January. Picked up a base model Henry .22 lever gun from there last Oct. and both have real nice wood, shoot well, and I'm real happy with 'em. I may not be able to resist a Henry 20 ga. single. I heard the single shots all had heavy triggers and my .308 does somewhat, but I guess there's some cures for that. Maybe the folks at Henry heard all the complaints and did something about it.

Mine's a .308 as well, and I plan on futzing around with light loads, sabotted loads, and the same mid-level stuff I've been feeding my Hawkeye Predator; 41-42gr of RL15 and ABs or BTs. Single shots are just so easy and pleasant to play with without magazine and feeding issues.

Been too busy handling my father's affairs to visit the range in months, but today's the day; two new ones get aired out at last!
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 07/25/19
I paid $369 for mine in 45/70. There is a trigger fix over on Graybeards.
Mine will cost about full price by the time shipping and transfer are added in, but no matter.

Have the replacement trigger spring site bookmarked just in case. The 20 I saw didn't need it.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 08/02/19
im really considering a 44 mag one for the truck. if cva made the scout with iron sights id prob go that route though
Posted By: auk1124 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 08/11/19
Anyone know if the 20 gauge is built on a 20 gauge receiver, or are they using the same receiver for 20 and 12? If the 20 is on a true 20 sized receiver, I would be interested for sure...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 08/11/19
Can't say, but I thought it was pretty trim and handy regardless. Just bought and old Ithaca 20, so I got that niche covered, but I can see myself buying one. Uses Rem Chokes, I believe.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/10/19
I’ve only seen a few in person and haven’t handled any. Are they drilled and tapped for an aperture sight? Anyone make one?
My old eyes don’t do very well with standard irons anymore.
Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/11/19
The rifles are d&t for a scope rail. Don't know of any receiver sight that fit as yet. Mine arrives on Friday, so I'll see what options might work for a barrel peep then. This one's getting a scope, to start anyway.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/15/19
Picked my .308 up today. Pretty nice wood. Wood to metal fit is pretty good, except for the butt, which is too proud. Easy fix, if one doesn't mind refinishing! Machine checkering seems perfect; maybe best I've seen. Metalwork is fine too. Overall, I think it's much nicer than a $400 walnut-stocked rifle would be expected to be. Weighs just a smidgen under 7 lbs.

Then there's the trigger. Crisp, but very heavy at over 7 1/2 pounds on my Lyman scale. Replacement spring on the way!

Already had the scope rail on hand plus a set of Warne rings. An offset hammer spur is mandatory for scope use for certain. Henry sells one, but I had an old Marlin one that fit after a little file work. Still a tight fit, and a scope with a bigger eyepiece and/or a power change ring probably would need higher rings than the lows I used for the little Leupold 2.5. The gun comes up nice and should be a nice little woodswalker or stalking rifle. Don't think I can recommend it as a kids' gun with the very heavy hammer-cocking effort and trigger pull. The new spring should help with both.

Earliest I can get to the range is Wednesday, and the new spring is due in before that, so I should be able to dial it in without dealing with the heavy pull. Pics maybe tomorrow.
Posted By: papat Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/15/19
Been watching these Henry SS threads with much interest. Last thing I need is another SS. But what does need have to do with it? Digital D, the pic of that Stevens made me slobber all over myself. Especially when you mentioned the cartridge
Posted By: dubePA Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/15/19
How long before they offer one in 350 Legend?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: papat Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/15/19
That be right down decent Pappy.
7lbs 11.6oz as shown.

Stock comb is a bit low for scope use, something I'm used to from years of using older guns with the same issue, so no big deal.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/17/19
Looks pretty darn nice, Pappy. Congrats. Is the barrel removable?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/17/19
Haven't done it, but according to the book you just drive out the pin. Not interchangeable as yet. For $400, not a big deal for me. I certainly don't NEED anymore rifles as things are getting out of hand as it is. Have enough stuff on hand to feed this one for "free" for the duration.

If not for the pile of components, it'd been a .30/30 or .357.
Posted By: EdM Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/17/19
I just don’t see the allure.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/17/19
I just got a 357 henry single shot for Ohio's gun season. Need to find a scope base. No luck.
I bought mine off the Henry site. You'll need a hammer spur thingy too; trust me!
Originally Posted by EdM
I just don’t see the allure.

Of the type, or this particular model?

SSs appeal to me for several reasons, most of which have been talked to death here and elswhere. One either "gets it" or not. This one balances well, and is obviously put together pretty well. If it shoots well, it'll be a winner, to me anyway. If the SS, or break-open SS doesn't appeal to you, it matters not.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/17/19
Good-looking rifle Pappy348.I wish you wouldn't have done that though!
Now I have to find one in double 30...
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/17/19
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I just got a 357 henry single shot for Ohio's gun season. Need to find a scope base. No luck.

There are several scope base options available. I put a Leupold #56515 on mine. Weaver is a #82.

Attached picture 005.jpg
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/18/19
When we got home from the pawpaw patch this afternoon, the package from Graingers containing the trigger springs was on the porch.

Five minutes, max, from almost 8 pounds to between 4.5 and 4.75. I left the inner spring out as it's quite a bit shorter than the outer one. Gotta check for reliable ignition. Cocking effort is way down. Range tomorrow or Thursday.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/19/19
I saw my first Henry SS rifles yesterday. One was a really pretty 223. At $299 it was calling me pretty hard until I came across the Tikka. The wood had surprisingly nice character and the bluing had a nice luster as well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/19/19
Thanks 4570fan. Found that part number and got it ordered
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/19/19
Just got back from the range. Pretty pleased with the results. First three shots at 50 to check bore-sighting were touching (168 Matchkings, 42gr RL15, CCI BR2). Adjusted the scope and went to 100.

Not easy to hold on the target I brought with the little 2.5, but the first three 165gr ABs went right at 1". Tried to add a couple, but that spread out to just under 2". Put it up to cool while I shot something else.

Went back to the Sierras. First 3 went 1 3/16". Switched to the next target and put 3 in 1/2". A fluke no doubt, but still nice. Maybe after hunting season I'll put a little more glass on it and see what's what, or maybe try one of my homemade open squares instead of the 8" black with 1.5" red center. Regardless, it definitely made the cut for the purpose I bought it for.

Showed it to a couple guys who never heard of the SS Henrys. Both were pretty impressed with what $400 will buy. Me too.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/19/19
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/20/19
I'd be very happy with that.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/20/19
Looks like that'll work.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/20/19
Yup.

More Xs or a better target should tighten things up a bit, but I've had bolt guns that didn't do any better.

Easy to load on the bags too, since it only has to open far enough to access the breech, not cock anything. Empties slide right out.

Might trim the front of the base off a bit to make it a bit prettier too, after the killing's done.
Posted By: EdM Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/20/19
LGS had a 243 for $350. It did have pretty decent wood.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/20/19
Weakening?😛

I have to say I enjoyed shooting this more than I expected. I can see it being a good choice for still-hunting heavy cover. It's short, well-balanced, and quiet in operation.

Need to start futzing with my x-bow since the season's coming up next week, but I'm going to toss some more ammo together for practice.

Ain't a K3, but it's nicer than any H&R or Savage 219/220 I've seen. Better? Can't say, but nothing inside or out looks cheap to me, just simple.
That's a great looking rifle. Nice wood. I gotta stay away from the lgs.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 09/30/19
Been wondering about these and came over for a looksee. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/01/19
With a deer in the can early, I'm free to do a bit more gun tinkering until the weather cools. Gonna toss together some more loads, and try a few of the gazillion 150gr NPs on hand.

Other than the easily fixed trigger issue, I can't see any downside to this thing. Just feels right in my hands. Might have to bump it up a couple of slots in the "rotation".
Posted By: saddlering Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/30/19
I just put a a 44 mag Henry single shot in Lay A way $395.00 plus tax! 1st 44 mag Iv seen and the 1st one the store has gotten in! The wood is Killer butt stock and forarm! I wish Id taken some pics! Iv been looking at these for awhile, and this is the best wood on one that iv seen! they also had 30-30 243, and 20 gage and a 410 on the rack! was wanting a 357 but the wood on this 44 mag was to good to pass on! cant wait to get this rifle!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/30/19
Originally Posted by saddlering
I just put a a 44 mag Henry single shot in Lay A way $395.00 plus tax! 1st 44 mag Iv seen and the 1st one the store has gotten in! The wood is Killer butt stock and forarm! I wish Id taken some pics! Iv been looking at these for awhile, and this is the best wood on one that iv seen! they also had 30-30 243, and 20 gage and a 410 on the rack! was wanting a 357 but the wood on this 44 mag was to good to pass on! cant wait to get this rifle!

I will end up with one in 44 mag if I see one with good wood. The online sellers are use stock images rather than actual photos.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/30/19
I bought a 357...i am amazed at the accuracy. One inch group from a non free floated pistol cartridge rifle? Yup.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/31/19
I bought a 357...i am amazed at the accuracy. One inch group from a non free floated pistol cartridge rifle? Yup.

Where's the like button on this thing? Color me impressed.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/31/19
Yeah. The guys I was shooting with were laughing. We kept passing it around to shoot. Was like a 35 caliber pellet gun.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/31/19
How much trigger pull weight did you lose by changing the spring? (assuming you did).
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by saddlering

I will end up with one in 44 mag if I see one with good wood. The online sellers are use stock images rather than actual photos.

Reeds, formerly Northern, uses a real pic, I believe. I just rolled the dice.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 10/31/19
Pappy...i did NOT do it yet. Been working 2 jobs and just haven't gotten to it. But it can only get better smile
TWO JOBS!

Crap, I don't even have one (unless you count waiting for direct deposit😛).

Excuse accepted.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/01/19
I would rather have one. By a long shot. But it is what it is. Told a very bad boss goodbye and took a large pay cut for doing the right thing. I refused to break the law or look the other way while he did
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/01/19
Hang in there. This too shall pass.

Where I worked for 40 years, bosses came and went, so you just had to wait the duds out.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/04/19
Only one I own. Lever .410.

It’s had a few hiccups. But seems to be running fine these days.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/06/19
Ran some Trail Boss loads through my .308 today; 110gr Speer HPs over 13gr. First three at 50 yards in one hole; two more cut that cluster.

155gr Nosler Custom Competition over the same load spread wider. Going to seat the remainder of those deeper in hopes of doing better. Got a bunch of other 150s to try as well, but the main goal was to find a good load for turkeys and offhand practice, and hopefully duplicate a similar load I used back in the 80s on a fox and a few chucks- DRT to max. These Speer bullets are about as cheap as you'll find.

Beginning to think the Henry deserves a bit more scope than 2.5.
Posted By: DouginLa Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/07/19
Thanks 4570fan. Found that part number and got it ordered

Would y'all mind sharing the spring part number, I have a Grainger's close by.

Thanks
Doug
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/07/19
Pappy348 has that info
Thank you. He just answered my PM.
On the other hand...dry fire and shooting at the range have smoothed and lightened the trigger without switching the spring yet
Thanks again, won't get the gun 'till Monday or Tuesday. Got it from Academy for $339.99 plus tax. Total OTD is $381. Will try the dry firing and range trick.

Doug
And i did get an email from Henry stating that any centerfire of theirs is fine to dryfire.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/13/19
I wish they had the single shot in 41 magnum to go along with my Ruger Blackhawk.

kwg
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/13/19
Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that one, like the .22 Hornet I'd like.

I think they make a lever-gun in .41 though.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/13/19
Heck yeah I would buy a 22 hornet too
Posted By: gomerdog Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/29/19
Hopefully there is a pic of a couple of sage grouse from 2018 on this page. 12 gauge light modified extended choke in Wyoming.

Attached picture henry and sage grouse.jpg
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/30/19
Thinking about a .410 to replace the Savage 220 I just sold. They do not, however, offer it witha youth stock though they do on others in the line, nor will they sell a stock alone. WTF?

I may be reduced to buying one of the new Crickett .410s, but haven't seen one for sale yet. Others sell the same basic gun, but with long tom barrels and adult stocks. Still time before turkey season.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/30/19
What are you guys seeing for street prices on Henry Single Shots?
Posted By: saddlering Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/30/19
Around me in Northern Michigan $395.00 plus tax!
Posted By: gomerdog Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/30/19
I paid about the same here in Wyoming, but it is by far the highest quality single shot I have ever handled.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 11/30/19
That's good info gamer, thanks.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/02/20
I just installed the Grainger spring with the factory inner spring. Hammer pull and trigger pull are much improved. I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I'd guess it went from the typical 8# to around 4#. It's literally a 5 minute job.
Which Grainger spring is this reference to? I have one of the 45-70 Henry single shot rifles that would definitely benefit from a lighter trigger pull.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/02/20
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist
Which Grainger spring is this reference to? I have one of the 45-70 Henry single shot rifles that would definitely benefit from a lighter trigger pull.

Grainger spring # 54MY45

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/165-h...plete-henry-h015-trigger-hammer-fix.html
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/02/20
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist

If you have a good hardware store nearby, just remove the factory spring, measure the length, diameter, and wire diameter, then buy some with lighter wire, but as close in the other dimensions as possible. Grainger makes you buy ten springs and with shipping it's going to cost you over $30.

Ignore the small inner spring (put it in your Box-o-Crap).
Posted By: nick Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/06/20
Anyone have/shoot one of the brass frame Henrys?
Looking at REEDS sporting goods on GB, they got some brass frame ones, no blued.
See 45 Colt.
Wonder how these are.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/06/20
Originally Posted by nick
Anyone have/shoot one of the brass frame Henrys?
Looking at REEDS sporting goods on GB, they got some brass frame ones, no blued.
See 45 Colt.
Wonder how these are.

Gaudy?
Posted By: nick Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/06/20
Not a fan of the brass. Wonder why they do not have any blued ones I guess.
I like REEDS, bought a few guns from them, good prices if they have what ya want.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/06/20
I'm with you Pappy. Not a fan of the brass frames.
Posted By: Alaninga Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/06/20
Saw a friend’s two Henry SS’s in 308 and 30/30. Went to same LGS and picked up a 357 Mag. I was very happy with the wood. FYI the 308 and 30/30 have slim Sporter barrels, my 357 has a good bit heavier contour. I’ll shoot it first and then consider a 357 MAXimum reamer!

Attached picture 10926DF4-C4E9-4DA2-A56D-D0EDD4CF7F1A.jpeg
Attached picture A0BCD417-B736-4D05-A06A-DB6DB292B05A.jpeg
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/07/20
Dang! That's stunning.

Good thing about buying from Reeds is that they use photos of the gun actually for sale, not stock pics.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/07/20
So what caliber is everyone putting into play?
Posted By: Alaninga Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

357 Magnum because I wanted a single shot that can be a ‘plinker’ with 38Spl ammo for grandsons to enjoy, and also be usable for deer hunting if desired.
There is also a few hundred 357 MAXimum brass in my possession...... and maybe this itch to scratch... but that’s just a thought right now. Also, the 357 barrel muzzle is large enough to be threaded.

Looking to add a .410 at some point, perhaps. The performance of the new TSS turkey loads is impressive, and a .410 has a lot of utility.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/07/20
The 308 might be really nice, especially if it performed well with the accelerator loads.
Posted By: buckhorn Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/07/20
I would like to see a 20 gauge rifled slug gun. Maybe adult and youth models. Would fill the gap left by H&R.
The 308 might be really nice, especially if it performed well with the accelerator loads.

Well, it's pretty sweet for a guy with about a thousand cases and bullets already in hand along with a bunch of suitable powders.

As to the Accelerators, I'm not sure they even still make them, but that same guy has a couple of hundred .22/30 sabots and a seater tool to load them. Never got great accuracy from the original factory loads, but I have a couple of ideas about using Trail Boss or 5744 to make up some small game/turkey loads. Already have had good luck with 110gr Speer HPs and Trail Boss.

A .30/30 would do a lot of the same stuff, but I'm totally bereft of brass and dies for that one. There was of course, a free .30/30 in the box the .308 came in.
Posted By: Alaninga Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by buckhorn
I would like to see a 20 gauge rifled slug gun. Maybe adult and youth models. Would fill the gap left by H&R.

Ditto!
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/08/20

45/70 go big or go home haha. Seriously tho it can be load from mild to wild. My 300 gr handloads breaking 2000 fps are all my bum shoulder and handle anymore. They hit even harder on the other end.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.
Ok, I've got the spring installed and it does make a significant difference. Looking forward to my range thawing out so I can try it. Now, as others noted, the springs come 10 to a package from Grainger. If I keep a few spares, I've got at least 6 that I don't need and I'm willing to share with others. If anyone wants one, please send an email to "jon" aaattt "kolbsadventures" dauhht cohm and I'll reply with a mailing address. If you then send me a stamped, self-addressed envelope, I'll return a spring to you. Once they are gone or interest lags, I'll post to this thread again indicating such.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1st Henry in the flesh - 01/21/20
I gave one away myself. It's possible I may pick up one or two more, maybe a .410 and/ or a .357. Been looking into Contenders for interesting small cartridges, but the Henrys go for about the same price as a custom barrel for a TC.

I did some scope swapping and replaced the 2.5 Loopy on my .308 with a 2.5-7 Weaver and also swapped the hammer spur out for the one Henry sells, which is nicer and lower than the old Marlin one I fitted at first. Will do some load work when it warms up a bit.
© 24hourcampfire