Home
Joe Clayton wrote the book on the Ruger No.1 rifle, in 1983. He has been a long time friend.
His new favorite cartridge is the 280 Ackley Improved. About a year ago he asked me "why don't we see if Ruger will make us No.1 in 280 AI". Well. a year later we have it; I added some extras to it to honor Joe! Came out to be a 25" A weight barrel, serial numbers are JDC-001 thru JDC-125; Joe got the first 3! And we call it the Joe Clayton Classic!
They all have good wood and some are spectacular. check out http://www.classicsportingarms.com.
If you want a certain number, or a really nice piece of wood, better get one now. They are Exclusive to Classic Sporting Arms and I am the only one who has them.
Lee
Really like the profile of those 1A's with longer barrels, it gives them a more slender look overall.
Wow- that is some nice wood!
# 003 was kind of average on wood; that's why Joe picked it to hunt. Notice Kepplinger trigger! This is the longest A weight barrel to date. I have a 7mm RM with a 25" A weight barrel that Len Brownell made up for Chester Hape in 1968- I knew this was a good setup!
Google Chester Hape; he was a Sheridan, WY saddlemaker that made trophy saddles for the NFR.
What a gorgeous rifle!
Bob
Oh my goodness, that's a beautiful rifle!
I'm interested how do we order one?
Originally Posted by STS45
I'm interested how do we order one?

Link to his website in the top post.
Received JD076, yesterday.

Pretty decent wood , nice balance.

Sub par checkering and finish on wood, too much hassle to return and receive a lesser piece of wood..

Finish and checkering is not what it used to be , even new #1 if purchased 7-8 years ago have better checkering and finish.

Likely my last New #1 ,

Will try and get some pics up shortly.

F
DP
© 24hourcampfire