Home
Posted By: blairvt TCR safety - 11/14/19
I've never handled a TCR but always thought the were a nice looking rifle. I've read the safety is strange to use. Who could describe it to me? Is it a deal breaker for a hunting gun?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: TCR safety - 11/14/19
Been 35 years since I owned one but IIRC you have to push a button on the front of the trigger guard which allows you to release the crossbolt safety. Not really a deal breaker for a deliberate stand or stalking rifle since you can still do it with one hand but completely unnecessary and wasted motion. Not something you'd want if shot opportunities come up suddenly.

But overall it is a nice rifle.
Posted By: hookeye Re: TCR safety - 11/14/19
Offered a free one in 22 hornet. Owner hated the safety.
Declined, as I hated it too.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: TCR safety - 11/15/19
I passed on one at the LGS awhile back due to the safety. I'd never before heard of a safety for a safety on a gun.
Posted By: Aagaardsporter Re: TCR safety - 12/05/19
I've seen posts describing the removal of the redundant safety but it's been a while and I cannot remember where.
Posted By: half_whit Re: TCR safety - 12/05/19
Had one that "someone" had glued the pushbutton at the front in the depressed position. The crossbolt safety worked just like a regular crossbolt after that. Dont know how well it would hold up on a hard kicker (though you could probably find an epoxy of some sort if you were so inclined) held up that way for several years and a few thousand rounds. Mostly 22 cal centerfires to 270. Was still going fine when the rifle walked off.
Posted By: PHWILLIE Re: TCR safety - 12/05/19
I have owned 3 different ones over the years and they are beautiful, accurate, well made rifles. That said the safety system was about the strangest I have seen on any rifle let alone a single shot. That was the main reason they went down the road instead of still being in my safe.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: TCR safety - 12/07/19
It's odd, but the one time I shot mine at game I don't remember even thinking about it, I just did it.

I too have heard about people gluing the little button in.
© 24hourcampfire