Home
Posted By: Obi_Wan Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 11/30/19
I have a Pro Hunter with the T/C Pro Hunter 28” 7mm-08 barrel. It shoots fine, but it’s too long for my use. I was thinking of having it cut down to 22”. Looking for advice on cutting it down vs getting a barrel from MGM already at 22”. Thanks.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 11/30/19
Not sure how much it costs to have a barrel cut down and crowned but I suspect its not as much as a new MGM barrel. The way I would approach it is have it cut down and see if it will continue to shoot like I want it do. If it does, great. If it doesn't, sell it on eBay or at a gunshow and order a new MGM in the length and contour you want.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 12/01/19
Send it to Mike Bellm.
Also note the MGM sale is on now...
Some as low as $250..... No brainer......
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Send it to Mike Bellm.
Also note the MGM sale is on now...
Some as low as $250..... No brainer......

Doesn’t look like any of the 7mm-08 Encore barrels are on sale. :-(
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 12/02/19
For $250 I’d try an alternate caliber....
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 12/04/19
The grooves around the barrel may be a pain when you cut the barrel down. I have 3 MGM barrels and they all shoot great.
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by Lucas1
The grooves around the barrel may be a pain when you cut the barrel down. I have 3 MGM barrels and they all shoot great.

Good point. I guess I’ll just order a new barrel. Now I just have to decide if I’m sticking with 7mm-08 or going with something different.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Encore Pro Hunter Barrel - 12/05/19
For similar performance with less recoil, consider a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I shoot both 7mm-08 and .260 in the Encore. The .260 is my preferred deer caliber.
© 24hourcampfire