Home
Posted By: x1proto1 No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 01/29/20
What a shame that the only Ruger no1 listed in the New 2020 Ruger Catalog is the Stainless Steel in 450 Bushmaster.

I think Bill Ruger would be rolling in his Grave if he could see what the current crop of Managers has done to his beautiful designs.

If thats all they can offer in Single Shots I'll never buy another one. I've owned more than 200 in my lifetime with about 60 early Non-Prefix being the most at one time.

Shame on you .
Lamentable for sure.......Except that those of us who like them generally want better wood than the pallet material they've been using, so the lack of sales/lack of production turns into a self-sustaining disaster for the No. 1.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Lamentable for sure.......Except that those of us who like them generally want better wood than the pallet material they've been using, so the lack of sales/lack of production turns into a self-sustaining disaster for the No. 1.

Exactly right!

The same can be said for the little Browning version of the 1885 low wall.
Now that Winchester is turning them out, their stocks are nothing short of plain white bread......

The single shots are a niche market and will never be a great money maker for the companies.
That said, by not offering them with decent wood they’re assuring the decline of sales and future demise of the product.......
Posted By: Phasmid Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 01/30/20
What are you guys talking about? You have to look at what they make for the distributors to sell. https://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?mfg=Ruger&family=No.+1+Series&type=Rifle

There is got to be few with decent wood.

Any of the calibers below strike your fancy?
Calibers
204 Ruger (1)
22 Hornet (1)
243 Win (1)
250 Savage (1)
257 Roberts (1)
257 WBY Mag (1)
30-30 (1)
308 Win (1)
35 Whelen (1)
44 Magnum | 44 Special (1)
450 Bushmaster (1)
450 Marlin (1)
45-70 GOVT (1)
460 S&W Magnum (1)
475 Linebaugh | 480 Ruger (1)
6.5 Creedmoor (2)
6.5 x 55 Swe
Posted By: Alaninga Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 01/30/20
The future of the Ruger No.1 is an often discussed topic among enthusiasts.
Of the Lipsey's List, most are Out of Stock, with only 2 model/calibers having any significant inventory- these are the 1A in 250 Savage and the K1RSI in 6.5x55. The others in stock are in 1's and 2's quantities.
With regard to the 450 Bushmaster being the only No.1 in the 2020 catalog; I would note that it was the only No.1 in the Ruger exhibit at the recent DSC in Dallas. There is a reason for this- It is the only No.1 that has not been a Lipsey's Exclusive since 2013.
No.1 wood quality has gotten a lot of comments lately.
As a student, collector, buyer and seller of Ruger No.1's, I am going to share my experience and insight on wood quality. I have handled and sold over 1500 Ruger No.1's in the last 15 years, so this is from what I have observed. Wood quality on the No.1 rifles has varied from the beginning-1967. Generally, rifles shipped in 1967 are rather plain. in 1968-69, wood quality is generally exceptional. The early '70's wood is generally nice, but by 1973 began to taper off. 1976, the Bi Centennial year, really good wood was again on rifles, but one must be careful of salt wood in these years and the good wood lasted until the early '80's. For the next 20-25 years, the wood could be variable, some nice and most plain. About 1992-93 some really nice wood is found, but it was generally average until about 2004. From 2004 until October 2013, wood was generally quite nice and buyers got used to this quality. So, when the really plain wood started showing up in 2013, people noticed, because they had become spoiled over the last 10 years! When the 308 K1RSI's were made couple years ago, they were exceptional. Last year, I received a run of 375 Ruger RSI's and the wood is exceptional, even most forearms! Also, at the end of last year, I received a 125 run of Joe Clayton Classics in the 1A configuration with a 25" barrel in 280 Ackley Improved. These rifles ALL had really good wood and some were exceptional! These were serial numbered JDC-001 thru 125. These last 2 caliber/configuratiions of the Ruger No.1 were Lipsey's Exclusives and Classic Sporting Arms was the Exclusice Retailer.
Obviously there are some exceptions to these years, but that has been my observation. If Ruger can continue to get wood of this recent quality, they can sell all the No.1's they can make. They won't make many, because 3000 per year is the capacity at 100% of the production time.
Posted By: 21 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 01/31/20
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
Of the Lipsey's List, most are Out of Stock, with only 2 model/calibers having any significant inventory- these are the 1A in 250 Savage and the K1RSI in 6.5x55. The others in stock are in 1's and 2's quantities.
With regard to the 450 Bushmaster being the only No.1 in the 2020 catalog; I would note that it was the only No.1 in the Ruger exhibit at the recent DSC in Dallas. There is a reason for this- It is the only No.1 that has not been a Lipsey's Exclusive since 2013.
As a student, collector, buyer and seller of Ruger No.1's, I am going to share my experience and insight on wood quality. I have handled and sold over 1500 Ruger No.1's in the last 15 years, so this is from what I have observed. Wood quality on the No.1 rifles has varied from the beginning-1967. Generally, rifles shipped in 1967 are rather plain. in 1968-69, wood quality is generally exceptional. The early '70's wood is generally nice, but by 1973 began to taper off. 1976, the Bi Centennial year, really good wood was again on rifles, but one must be careful of salt wood in these years and the good wood lasted until the early '80's. For the next 20-25 years, the wood could be variable, some nice and most plain. About 1992-93 some really nice wood is found, but it was generally average until about 2004. From 2004 until October 2013, wood was generally quite nice and buyers got used to this quality. So, when the really plain wood started showing up in 2013, people noticed, because they had become spoiled over the last 10 years! When the 308 K1RSI's were made couple years ago, they were exceptional. Last year, I received a run of 375 Ruger RSI's and the wood is exceptional, even most forearms! Also, at the end of last year, I received a 125 run of Joe Clayton Classics in the 1A configuration with a 25" barrel in 280 Ackley Improved. These rifles ALL had really good wood and some were exceptional! These were serial numbered JDC-001 thru 125. These last 2 caliber/configuratiions of the Ruger No.1 were Lipsey's Exclusives and Classic Sporting Arms was the Exclusice Retailer.
Obviously there are some exceptions to these years, but that has been my observation. If Ruger can continue to get wood of this recent quality, they can sell all the No.1's they can make. They won't make many, because 3000 per year is the capacity at 100% of the production time.

Interesting insight from a fellow who knows things. Thanks. JP
Thanks. A last point; no doubt in my mind that 1968 had the best wood. I own a lot of rifles from this year and near all are exceptional. My Joe Clayton Classic from last year(JDC-010) has wood as good as any of the 1968 rifles. It was hand picked, but that kind of wood still shows up on the No.1 rifle.
It is pictured at www.classicsportingarms.com

I've owned a bunch of #1's, since the late 70's, and this also mirrors my experience. I think the best one I have is a .30-40 #1A, that was a Cabelas special edition. It has a piece of Circassian on it, that would not be out of place on a London Best Rifle. I've seen one other Cabelas .30-40, and it also was very nice. I think there was also a Cabelas 1S in .300 H&H, which usually have nice wood, too.

I'd grab a Joe Clayton, but already had a 4 digit BB 6mm, with shot-out barrel, rebarreled by PacNor. That was done a few months before their plant burned. smile
I'll show you one of these Joe Clayton Classics in 280AI at the Hog Hunt next month! The 25" A barrel makes it pretty sweet.
I'll show you one of these Joe Clayton Classics in 280AI at the Hog Hunt next month! The 25" A barrel makes it pretty sweet.

Sounds good smile I will be bringing either a .257 Weatherby or my custom .280 smile
Posted By: 1minute Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 02/17/20
I'm still praying for a 22LR.
Originally Posted by x1proto1
What a shame that the only Ruger no1 listed in the New 2020 Ruger Catalog is the Stainless Steel in 450 Bushmaster.

I think Bill Ruger would be rolling in his Grave if he could see what the current crop of Managers has done to his beautiful designs.

If thats all they can offer in Single Shots I'll never buy another one. I've owned more than 200 in my lifetime with about 60 early Non-Prefix being the most at one time.

Shame on you .

and when it doesn't sell, they can kill it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 02/18/20
How many are out there now still NIB, as well as nice used? Not much sense in pumping out more until the demand exeeds the supply, unless someone like Lipsey's orders up some, guaranteed sales. Ruger has suspended production of other stuff, even maybe No. 1s, then resumed when they saw a market. Granted that some of the ones they have produced of late were niche products like the .450s. Maybe they guessed wrong about how many Midwestern deer hunters would gobble those up. I expect they'll eventually sell; might even buy one myself if the price was really right.

Just a few years ago, I bought one of the .243 1Vs from Whittaker for $800. Not sure who made money there, except maybe the $50 or so I made when I sold it after having my fun.
X1proto1: I agree to this extent - it is a shame the the folks at Ruger have put the exceptionally handsome Model #1 "on the back burner" of recent!
I go way back with Ruger #1's with my first being a very accurate and VERY beautiful Model 1-B in 6mm Remington. I bought it new and the serial number was a "lucky" 1,300!
Damn how I wish I had that one back.
I sold it to a left handed friend who pestered me for years to buy it - I finally relinquished and sold it to him with his promise that if he ever sold it he would sell it back to me - that ex-friend lied and for that reason and a couple others I never spoke to him for the rest of his life.
They don't make them like they used to (I agree with you all on that) but I wish they would at least MAKE"M!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: dale06 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm still praying for a 22LR.

I’m still praying for an accurate one. I’ve shot a few and owned four, a 1B and three 1V. None shot worth a damn despite lots of money wasted on various forend alterations and fixes and some after market triggers.
Would never own another unless I could shoot it first and verify accuracy. And that’s not likely to happen.
Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 02/19/20
some of us have some very accurate Ruger #1`s,sometimes they need forearm work , some #1`s need other adjustments to make a #1 shoot well ,sometimes some shooters just don`t shoot well with any rifle ? as a gun dealer and owner of at least 50-60 Ruger # 1`s over many years i think i have a real understanding on how to make this type a rifle shoot well.
Posted By: fourbore Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 02/21/20
Originally Posted by pete53
some of us have some very accurate Ruger #1`s,sometimes they need forearm work , some #1`s need other adjustments to make a #1 shoot well ,sometimes some shooters just don`t shoot well with any rifle ? as a gun dealer and owner of at least 50-60 Ruger # 1`s over many years i think i have a real understanding on how to make this type a rifle shoot well.

Good looks can only get you so far in life. It would have been helpful if Ruger took some feedback on accuracy. I quote the above, because most buyers dont want to pay up for a premium rifle and then make it into a project. I read this often. it is very good to be aware but; not a good way to promote sales. I own two No'1 and accuracy is so-so to adequate. I have a Higgs gizmo someplace around here to try out someday. I dont know what the other tricks are. Forarm relived? Honestly, this is not what I pay up for. I have seen numbers as high as $1500 in local shops for a 450! Meanwhile, I have a $400 Ruger American in 450 that is very accurate.

Second opinion, The best way to sell guns is lower the price. Think about the No3 with plain wood. A low cost No3 in 44mmag is a gun I would buy that tomorrow. When I see the next used one it will happen Then I need to worry about scope mounting. Ugg. Much more handy than a Henry. The Henry has nice wood, but a nice stock is the frosting on a cake. Wood does not count for much if the gun itself does not measure up.
Posted By: 65BR Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 02/21/20
Had a beautiful 1B in 25-06, but since 25s never turned my crank...other than an interest in a 250-3k, or AI version, it went down the road. Others were 1B 270, 1A 243, 1RSI 243.......and a K1A 6.5x55 Stainless with gorgeous Walnut. That shot 1.1" at 200 yds...3 shots. That 1A 243 did 3/8" out the box......for some reason felt the desire to have Pac-Nor put on a 6BR in 8 twist, 1V contour, but 26" long. It shot .498....at 330 yds....Kepplinger trigger and 4-16x40 AO 4200.

When you have an accurate Ruger No. 1 - they sure are fun. That said, I also had....had...a beautiful 243 Low Wall....sold it.....shot 1/2 MOA, first 2 in the same hole at 200 yds, 6x scope.

Single shots when built well, like many of mine were........and stocked with pretty wood, are very worthy.

That said, I would never pay any decent money, for ANY wood stocked rifle, with ugly wood. Now if they want to come out with a value priced Stainless with a lightweight quality material composite stock......but those FUGLY wood rifles.......you can keep those. Just me.

Many options out there, but a TC owner can change out barrels and have a nice wood stock.....and have a lot of fun for less money. Ask Bobby Tomek wink I had a 6 TCU years back....another I should have kept, like the 22, 6.5 / 7 TCU, 41s, 44, 30-30, and 357 Max Contenders I used extensively years ago......often MOA accurate.
Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 02/21/20
all very good points about these rifles ,but at my age i want a quality built rifle and myself i like the one shot and done ,my Ruger #1 shoots well out to 600 yards ,resale 10-20 years will always have great value,my rifle will be inherited to a grandson there is alot of pride with any rifle with class too.if you wanna shoot a cheap rifle and a cheap scope go for it, that`s just not my style,i want speed,accuracy and workmanship. here`s my specs. on my Ruger #1 s.s. ,this rifle has a custom 27 inch, in a 257 Weatherby,#5 Brux barrel,Timney trigger,glass bedded and floated shoots 3800 fps with my handloads, 100 gr. Nosler Partition shoots under a inch at 200 yards ,scope is a Nightforce 5-22x56 ,custom made picatinny base.i had 2 of these built one for me one for my son and when i am gone grandson gets mine.for the last 10 years this rifle has always shot well,never a mechanical problem and killed some great bucks out west and in Minnesota too. in my family we talk rifles,cartridges and bucks shot at all family functions including funerals, a hunter`s rifle is a pride thing for myself,friends and family members too. if you worry about cost or a rifle ,why ? many of us have spilled more money in a bar.Grin
Posted By: GSPfan Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/22/20
I just bought a #1 in 250 Savage thats a Lipseys exclusive. It should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest. My favorite #1 is a full custom in 7MM-08 but I just used the action. I think Ruger could sell a lot of rifles if they upgraded the wood and priced them between what they do now and a Dakota M10. When I was looking for a nice single shot I priced out the Dakota and had my custom rifle built for far less exactly how I wanted it .A long long time ago I had a #1 AB in 7x57 that had gorgeous wood in fact thats why I bought it. Then I had a rifle built on a Sako action in 7X57 and sold the Ruger. I still regret that one frown
Was looking at the Henry single shots and they are well made and beautiful. Its on my bucket list. Right now I use a CVA single shot .243.
Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/22/20
with respect i just have a hard time myself spending money on a Henry single shot yes they work ok, but my thought is for another $300.00-500.00 above the price of a Henry single shot i can find a real nice Ruger #1 that will keep its value or go up in value or i can give it to a family member. my son,daughter ,son-in-law all have there #1`s already ,and all grandkids will have Ruger #1`s from me too. i have always taught them one and done shot thing hunting, plus i just feel Ruger #1`s are so easy to load and unload,easy safety,simple strong action, really there is no action to speak of so your rifle is 4 inches shorter than a reciever rifle with same barrel length so in a box stand its a easier rifle to use too.i am at the point in my life if i buy a gun it won`t be a cheap gun anymore i want to leave very nice rifles and pistols with class to my family and until then i will use some.> its just a thought you might want to think about before you spend that money on a cheaper quality gun ?
Posted By: hookeye Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/22/20
One and done, aint the gun.

Its ammo supply.

#1s can be reloaded rather quickly

I grew up shooting #1's, and I like em just fine.
But I don't blow smoke up people's asses about using em.
Posted By: hookeye Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/22/20
If you go afield with just one round then you're not planning for the unexpected, and sooner or later your arrogance is gonna mean suffering for a beast.
Nobody is perfect, nobody can control everything.
Life aint the internet.
Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/23/20
Originally Posted by hookeye
If you go afield with just one round then you're not planning for the unexpected, and sooner or later your arrogance is gonna mean suffering for a beast.
Nobody is perfect, nobody can control everything.
Life aint the internet.

no we have shell/ammo boots on our Ruger #1`s, but maybe you could learn to be a little more respectful and have positive replies. but for your information my father taught this: one and done to us years ago take 1 good shot , save on ammo ,kill animal quickly and don`t shoot animal full of holes a person is just wasting meat and ammo. try too have a wonderful positive day,Pete53
I’ve hunted with single shots (Ruger) for the past 20 years and have never had any regrets. But then, I choose my shots. I never take shots at running animals or “iffy” shots thru thick screening brush and I stay within my self imposed maximum range (~300 yds). If I have to pass on even a monster buck because the conditions aren’t right then, so be it. It ain’t the end of the world.
Posted By: Judman Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/23/20
Post some pics when you get it. Sounds like a dandy
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/23/20
Originally Posted by pete53
with respect i just have a hard time myself spending money on a Henry single shot yes they work ok, but my thought is for another $300.00-500.00 above the price of a Henry single shot i can find a real nice Ruger #1 that will keep its value or go up in value or i can give it to a family member. my son,daughter ,son-in-law all have there #1`s already ,and all grandkids will have Ruger #1`s from me too. i have always taught them one and done shot thing hunting, plus i just feel Ruger #1`s are so easy to load and unload,easy safety,simple strong action, really there is no action to speak of so your rifle is 4 inches shorter than a reciever rifle with same barrel length so in a box stand its a easier rifle to use too.i am at the point in my life if i buy a gun it won`t be a cheap gun anymore i want to leave very nice rifles and pistols with class to my family and until then i will use some.> its just a thought you might want to think about before you spend that money on a cheaper quality gun ?

Now that I have two Henrys, I feel like I have a decent basis in which to form a valid opinion on them. They are inexpensive, but there's nothing cheap about them that I can find, just simplicity. The wood, checkering, and fit and finish are equal to or better than my last two Number 1s, no doubt about it. Nothing I've seen lately for anywhere near the price compares. Yeah, if you luck out, you might find a nice used Ruger for $800 or so, my last was purchased new for that from Darrik, but for $350 or so Henrys are a screaming bargain for someone that isn't worried about what the other boys think. I'm not a fan of their leverguns, but they nailed it with these. I don't feel at all like I "settled" by purchasing them, just made out.

Might buy another Ruger or two someday, but at ordinary street prices, used Browning 1885s, and select Winchester specimens seem like a better deal to me in most cases. Occasionally Ruger still puts out some stunners, but I never seem to run into them.
Posted By: hookeye Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/24/20
I choose my shots too, doesn't matter what rifle I'm toting.

Happen to really like the feel and look of a Ruger #1.
Posted By: SS336 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/24/20
I've owned this one in 7x57 since 1978. It's been a great rifle, accurate, reliable, and easy to carry. It's taken it's share of big game. Would hate to see Ruger #1's go by the wayside, hard to find nice ones nowadays for a reasonable price, but it is rifle you can keep for a lifetime and hand down to your kids. They are unique in todays market of inexpensive plastic rifles, something a little different and special.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ingwe Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by SS336
I've owned this one in 7x57 since 1978. It's been a great rifle, accurate, reliable, and easy to carry. It's taken it's share of big game. Would hate to see Ruger #1's go by the wayside, hard to find nice ones nowadays for a reasonable price, but it is rifle you can keep for a lifetime and hand down to your kids. They are unique in todays market of inexpensive plastic rifles, something a little different and special.

Nice looking no-nonsense hunting rifle there!

I only have one at present...a #1-A in .222 ( Lipseys exclusive from 2013 I think...) Plain wood and " Hunting" accuracy....1-1.5 inch groups....which, lo and behold...do indeed work for hunting!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/24/20
nice looking Ruger #1`s but i do believe its close to the end for this special type rifle ,glad i own a few Ruger #1`s for myself and my families future. sure seems like cheap rifles are the future for many hunters ?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/25/20
There's always been a market for inexpensive guns, and for those who could afford them and appreciated the difference, nice ones. Even when Number 1s were only a couple hundred bucks (and were VERY nice), they only sold moderately well because most shooters were happy with 700s for about a C-note and $90 .30/30s. It takes time for consumers to deveop their tastes and some discernment about the products they buy, and some never get past the "gun as tool" stage, which is fine if that suits them. I feel that way about vehicles myself. It ain't always because it's all they can afford either.

'
Posted By: hookeye Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/25/20
I am a righty, but have some left handers in the fam.
Their personal rifle has a problem, can loan em a #1.
Even with the plain wood a Ruger #1 has a lot more class than the Teflon stocked monstrosities that are so popular now. There’s no such thing as a “beautiful “ or even “nice” looking Teflon stocked or “black” gun. True, they may be accurate and durable but there are lots of accurate and durable wood & steel rifles to be had.. Beside, as I read somewhere, “Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Posted By: RicG Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/25/20
I only have one Ruger #1 left (just sold my purdy one). It's a 1V in 25/06. Not half bad. If I could only use SS rifles for the rest of my hunting time, I'd be ok with that. Between the above mentioned #1, a Win 1885 Low Wall and a Dakota 10, I'm all set.
Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Even with the plain wood a Ruger #1 has a lot more class than the Teflon stocked monstrosities that are so popular now. There’s no such thing as a “beautiful “ or even “nice” looking Teflon stocked or “black” gun. True, they may be accurate and durable but there are lots of accurate and durable wood & steel rifles to be had.. Beside, as I read somewhere, “Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

i have to agree and when i hunt or someplace else and they see me with my Ruger #1 in the woods, field,camp,or at the range most gotta ask me about my #1 rifle. all gun people seem to be fascinated by Ruger #1 looks and wanna know how this #1 shoots and none ever say a #1 is ugly.i only wish when i was 20 something years of age i would have started to buy these classy Ruger #1`s then ! >> a good friend with plenty money last fall 2019 i talked him into buying a used older Ruger #1 270 Win. he was impressed right away how well it shot, ease of loading this #1, he killed a heck of a nice whitetail buck and a decent 5x5 bull elk in Colorado same fall 2019 and now he also wonders why he never purchased a #1 earlier in life too .
Posted By: GSPfan Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/31/20
The wood stinks so I went with a full custom option. cal is 7/08 24 inch tapered octagon barrel, Tally QD rings, custom quarter rib, skelton PG cap and metal but plate. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo host [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by GSPfan
The wood stinks so I went with a full custom option. cal is 7/08 24 inch tapered octagon barrel, Tally QD rings, custom quarter rib, skelton PG cap and metal but plate. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo host [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That is easy to look at.... very nice.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/31/20
GSPfan, that is a beautiful stock! Who made it... what grade is that wood ... any details please!
Posted By: SS336 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 03/31/20
Wow! that's some rifle GSPfan. I agree we need more info on that one.
Posted By: dale06 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 04/01/20
,sometimes some shooters just don`t shoot well with any rifle ?

Fair point Pete,
But I have many Sako, Rem 700s, and Anschutz rifles that I shoot easy sub 1”, some about 1/2” five shot 100 yards. My four #1s, never came close to that.
Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 04/01/20
yes i have some older Sako`s that shoot great, a bunch of Rem.700`s and Savages too all shoot well too ,but i do have a few # 1`s that also shoot great but not all. but for collecting those Ruger #1`s go up much faster in value than any other new today rifles. another point these #1`s just are a very unique single shot made in America, easy to load and unload , has really no receiver of length which makes the rifle easier in a small box blind/stand to move in and out of windows while hunting. another very accurate rifle that is really over looked is a Browning BLR these lever rifles also shoot extremely well too. yes most people will shoot a bolt rifle to hunt with ,good for them,i won`t anymore i like a rifle with a little different look and feel with probably the same accuracy and the thought i was taught early as a youth make your first shot count don`t be wasting ammo or ruining meat. i don`t need a big clip/magazine full of ammo to shoot a game animal ,game animals don`t shoot back.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 04/01/20
The smith that did it is sadly retiring but I did manage to talk him into a custom High Wall in 38-55 that I just picked up. I've had the 7MM-08 for several years and it's extremely accurate. The stock is English walnut that came from Cecil Fredi. IIRC the barrel came from McGowen and is a tapered octagon 24 inches in length. Tally QD rings and the skeleton gip cap and metal butt plate were acquired by the smith who completed all the work other than the case coloring.
Posted By: pete53 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by GSPfan
The smith that did it is sadly retiring but I did manage to talk him into a custom High Wall in 38-55 that I just picked up. I've had the 7MM-08 for several years and it's extremely accurate. The stock is English walnut that came from Cecil Fredi. IIRC the barrel came from McGowen and is a tapered octagon 24 inches in length. Tally QD rings and the skeleton gip cap and metal butt plate were acquired by the smith who completed all the work other than the case coloring.

that is a very classy finished rifle !
Posted By: Anschutz Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 09/02/20
I also have a love affair with the Ruger No. 1. I've never fired one or handled one outside of the Cabela's Gun Library but I was brought up shooting a Handi-Rifle. You can make the first shot count and get a second in pretty quick with that rifle. Missed a doe and she made the mistake of stopping on her way out, also had two does come in and the second made the mistake of hanging around to check on her friend. Would I ever strap it to a quad and go hunting with it? No, I have a Model 70 Extreme Weather SS for that but I would hike around with one. I don't need a hunting rifle to pull double duty as an F-Class rifle. 1-1.5 MOA is more than adequate to kill game at normal hunting distances. GSPfan, that rifle is a beaut.
It is a little sad - this Single Shot 24CF room used to be dominated by Ruger #1 threads, but not anymore. I've owned a few:

- A #1V in .223 that was a great way to get started, but not being much of a varmint guy, I LET IT GO

- A #1B in 25/06 that gave me confidence to call my shots almost as much as the Glenfield .22 that I've had since I was 12, and the Red Ryder that I started shooting when I was maybe 7 - I LET IT GO

- A #1B in .338 Win Mag. that made 1/2", 3-shot groups at 100 yards commonplace. It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing it was sighted-in and ready to go for any tag I happened to get - I LET IT GO

- A #1-s in .375 H&H Mag. It would shoot 3/4" without much issue, but I wanted something else more - so I LET IT GO

- A #1 RSI in 7x57 that had the best factory wood I have ever seen on a #1 that wasn't some sort of special edition - partly because it was darned nice, but also because the front and back looked as if it came from the same blank - I LET IT GO

- And finaly - a 4-digit #1 S26M in 30/06. It's nice enough to make one want to pack it away to collect value, but we hunt! I will let this one go when the good Lord decides to let me go. That's the plan anyway.
Posted By: hookeye Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 09/03/20
And what do I want?
1A in stainless w black synth stock
.35 rem

Maybe next yrs project
Posted By: GSPfan Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 09/03/20
Long ago I had a #1 AB in 7X57. It had great wood which is why I bought it in the first place. I took it to Africa as my light rifle and shot most of my plains game with it. I had a 7X57 AI built on a Saka action and didn't think i needed two 7X57 ( now I;m down to three) and let it go.
I hope they support No.1s better than their shotguns,
Posted By: PJGunner Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 09/25/20
I got into Ruger #1s back in 1975 with a #1B in 30-06. It was the first one I'd even laid eyes on. I always preferred the looks of the #1S so when I ordered another in .300 Win. Mag. they distributor sent a B model. My LGS called about the mistake and was told, that was all there was available, take it or send it back. I took it. Turned out that with the old Nosler 200 gr. semi-round nose Partitions it would shoot .375" groups when I did my part. Funny thing is I never could get the 06 to do a decent group while the .300 was excellent in that aspect. It also shoots the 200 gr. Speer Hot cores int .50", again when I do my part. It was a while before I got another, this time a #1A in 7x57. A total scattergun. 8" groups on a good day. I had my gunsmith check it out and after a chamber cast we found a throat more than 2" in length. Talk about free bore. Sent it back to Ruger with the gunsmith's report and when it came back it had a new barrel. Runs about one inch most of he time depending on the load. I've picked up a few more over the years and now have them from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. Ruger rally should have spent them money on those harder kicking rifle with decent recoil pads rather that the skimpy little red thing they used.
Probably my favorites of the ones I have are that 7x57 I mentioned and a black pad S model I found in .300 Win. Mag. It's as accurate as the early #1B and in the configuration I like best. And before anyone asks, I hunted with then almost exclusively until 2009. In 2010 I started doing a ranch hunt and single shot rifles were verboten. I also quit hunting he place but it suits me as an easy hunt now that I'm somewhat handicapped. Methinks come the next hunt I'll take the #1 and just sat I was burglarized and it's the only gun I have left. What can they say?
Paul B.
Posted By: Shag Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 09/26/20
is it just me or were the older models rock solid not liberal sensitive they used to lock solid and not easily bumped free
Posted By: dale06 Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 09/28/20
GSP, that’s a beautiful gun.
Posted By: Anschutz Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 10/07/20
On the current production .450BM. I think it looks a little out of place but for someone wanting to build something stainless with good wood, it would be a good base. I doubt they will become as collectable as the others so I wouldn't feel bad for tearing one apart. It would be a handy little rifle with a can on it though and would lack the action noise of an AR or other semi auto.
Posted By: Shag Re: No1 in Ruger 2020 Catalog - 10/21/20
6.5 CM
© 24hourcampfire