Home
Posted By: AZtwins CVA Hunter/Scout - 01/31/20
Any one tried one of these? I'm picking up a few rifles for my sons since they're graduating from .22s and don't think they're ready for a No.1 or a Dakota. (At least I'm not grin) I have a Handi rifle and I'm wondering how the CVAs compare. Thanks
Posted By: brydan Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/01/20
Right before deer season I picked up a 35 Rem CVA Hunter cheap at a pawn shop. It's "stainless", or at least the barrel is stainless but the receiver looks like it has some kind of stainless coating on it. Anyway, whatever it is, I just wanted a beater rifle for hunting a new property that's super thick and swampy and also qualified for "primitive weapons". Bought a box of Remington Corelokts to test fire it before buying reloading components for it. Accuracy wasn't great, maybe 3-4 inch groups at 100 but not entirely sure that was the rifle, the scope that it came with looked like it had some miles on it.

Figuring it was "good nuff" for the sub 50 yrds that I'd see at that place, I had the barrel cut to 18", threw on a Leupold muzzleloader scope that was laying around, and picked up some components. With Sierra 200 RN's, some old as the hills 748 powder, and range pick up brass, it consistently threw up 1.5 inch groups at 100. Plenty good enough for what I needed and all in all was happy with the rifle. As rainy as it was this year I ended up liking it well enough to carry it most of the season this year instead of my usual 357 Herrett pistol. Trigger breaks clean but heavy. Going to see if I can lighten the trigger a bit but all in all not bad for the price.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/01/20
I have experience with two Hunters. first was a 7-08 compact that a cousin bought to be his daughter's deer rifle. It shot sub moa with plain Jane factory loads. I was surprised enough to buy a Hunter in .45-70 with intentions of having it converted to a smokeless muzzleloader. After finding it plenty accurate, I decided to leave it alone and use it for target shooting and occasional deer hunting in deep woods.
Posted By: LouisB Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/02/20
Others may disagree, but I think they are better than the Handi Rifle.
Wish the barrel was removable like the Handi.
Posted By: KenMi Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/02/20
The previous hunter model is discontinued.

The 2020 Hunter is simply a blued Scout.

Both are takedown.

Heard the trigger on the traditions sucks.
Posted By: jeeper Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/02/20

I have a 35 Rem Scout and it shoots pretty good , moa or there abouts with just about everything. It's my "muzzleloader" and kills deer and hogs with no trouble. Action is tight and locks up tight.

Had a buddy that went through 2 35 whelens that the action loosened up on and gave up on CVA's. He had shotgun patterns with his . I think the model he had was a hunter.
Posted By: KenMi Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/03/20
The Hunter lockup and action was poor compared to the scout. Thats why they nixed it
Posted By: maddog Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/03/20
I have a Scout, that I've had for quite a while, in .44 mag. It is a very accurate, great little deer rifle.
Posted By: AZtwins Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/03/20
Thanks for the comments. It appears to be finished better than a Handi rifle but all I've seen are pictures. I figured it would end up pretty similar.
Posted By: AZtwins Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/03/20
Thanks for the comments. It appears to be finished better than a Handi rifle but all I've seen are pictures. I figured it would end up pretty similar.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/03/20
Don't overlook the Henry's. Very nice wood, unless plastics are your thing. IMO much better quality than the CVA and Handi. I'm enjoying my 45/70 Henry especially after the literal 5 minute trigger fix.
Posted By: jobyjob Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/04/20
I've had 3 Scouts and liked all of them. Had a 35 Remington that was plenty accurate, as was the 300 Blackout. Now I have a 350 Legend. Best one yet. All holes touch at 100 yards. All 3 had/have terrific triggers.
Posted By: AZtwins Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/10/20
4570fan, can you elaborate on the “5 minute trigger fix” for the Henry?

I’ve been looking at those too. Thanks!
Posted By: 4570fan Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by AZtwins
4570fan, can you elaborate on the “5 minute trigger fix” for the Henry?

I’ve been looking at those too. Thanks!

Here ya go.... https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/165-h...plete-henry-h015-trigger-hammer-fix.html
Posted By: AZtwins Re: CVA Hunter/Scout - 02/12/20
Perfect! Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire