Home
Posted By: jwp475 1885 High Wall - 04/07/20
In Louisiana we have an extra length to the deer season for exposed hammer single shot rifles in designated cartridges. The 35 Whelen is one of those cartridges. I purchased a High Wall in 30/06 and will send it to Jess Rebore to turn it into a 35 Whelen.

Let the good times roll.
Posted By: geedubya Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/08/20
Sounds like a plan!

Good on ya!

GWB
Posted By: slugflinger Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/08/20
It's great to have a reason other than " Because I want one " to tell the wife!

Keep us posted!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by slugflinger
It's great to have a reason other than " Because I want one " to tell the wife!

Keep us posted!

Helps the justification process for sure
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/08/20
Sounds like a crazy rule if it allows a grizzly rifle but not an '06, but your plan sounds like a classy way to get it done. Love the 1885s; have two in LW persuasion.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Sounds like a crazy rule if it allows a grizzly rifle but not an '06, but your plan sounds like a classy way to get it done. Love the 1885s; have two in LW persuasion.

Rules don't have to make sense.

My "primitive" Louisiana rifle is a BPCR in .45-70 with a VX-3 3-9x40 CDS set up for the 250 Barnes TTSX over Vv 120, a Marlin level load that shoots 2,550. Haven't clocked it out of the 30" Badger barrel, probably a notch or so above that. The CDS is set up for this load. I can put'em on a pie plate all day long at 300, probably 4-5" or so. Deadly. Blows lung tissue out the other side, hogs and WT's.. I picked up this gun used, already had a super trigger job.

Not that primitive, IMO, but adheres to the law.

I think your JES convered 35 Whelen will be super. No doubt a bit lighter than mine. But I shoot it from a blind. Recoil is actually pretty pleasant with a heavy rifle, even with steel butt plate. Whelens do kick a bit, too.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My "primitive" Louisiana rifle is a BPCR in .45-70 with a VX-3 3-9x40 CDS set up for the 250 Barnes TTSX over Vv 120, a Marlin level load that shoots 2,550. Haven't clocked it out of the 30" Badger barrel, probably a notch or so above that. The CDS is set up for this load. I can put'em on a pie plate all day long at 300, probably 4-5" or so. Deadly. Blows lung tissue out the other side, hogs and WT's.. I picked up this gun used, already had a super trigger job.

I think your JES convered 35 Whelen will be super. No doubt a bit lighter than mine. But I shoot it from a blind. Recoil is actually pretty pleasant with a heavy rifle, even with steel butt plate. Whelens do kick a bit, too.

DF

Super nice set up, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Always have super nice firearms.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by jwp475

DF

Super nice set up, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Always have super nice firearms.

Thanks.

Look forward to seeing your finished rifle.

DF
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/09/20

I thought about going with a 45-70, but the 35 Whelen won out in the end
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/09/20

DF

Man, those things are pretty! One of my regular "pushers" has one for sale right now, and it's killing me, but I just don't want to tote it around.

Was that factory drilled and tapped? The one I was looking at is missing the sights, but NIB IIRC.
Posted By: DubThomas Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/09/20
One of my favorite rifles. I have one in 7 mag topped with a Leopold VX3 3.5-10X40 in Conetrol mounts. It loves the 145 or 160 grain Speer Grand Slam.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/09/20
I had to fabricate bases to fit the big octagonal barrel.

Mine came without sights. With BPCR rifles, that’s not uncommon. Sights can be another adventure in that business. I was planning to mount my own optics, anyway. Don’t think hardcore BPCR advocates would approve of this set up, would probably sniff at it. I thought about cutting the 30” Badger to 26”, which would make it handier. But that would ruin its BPCR value. I concluded it wasn’t worth it. I could live with the 30” heavy barrel.

DF
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/10/20
This is quickly becoming a favorite. 26 inch 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrel. Caliber is 38-55. Working up loads from 200 to 250 grains. So far it like H4895 and Reloader 7
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image upload [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: lngrng Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/10/20
Absolut beauty...…...…...Who made this gem?
Posted By: lngrng Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/10/20
Beautiful wood, and it looks like a Doug Turnbull Color Case Hardening.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/10/20
My local smith did all the work. Unfortunately he's retiring. The wood is English Walnut from Cecil Fredi. The case colors weren't Turnbull and for the life of me I can't remember who did them but that craftsman is also retiring. I picked it up the day before our deer season started got a box of Winchester factory ammo sighted it in and killed a deer with it a few days later.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/10/20

Beautiful High Wall
Posted By: catnthehat Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/12/20
What a fantastic looking rifle!
I had my Ruger done with a half round/half octagon barrel , really classy configuration.
The stock design nd wood selection is top shelf stuff- not to mention the color case hardening, WOW!!
Cat
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/13/20
In Louisiana we have an extra length to the deer season for exposed hammer single shot rifles in designated cartridges. The 35 Whelen is one of those cartridges. I purchased a High Wall in 30/06 and will send it to Jess Rebore to turn it into a 35 Whelen.

Let the good times roll.

What cartridges are legal?
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 1885 High Wall - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by GSPfan
This is quickly becoming a favorite. 26 inch 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrel. Caliber is 38-55. Working up loads from 200 to 250 grains. So far it like H4895 and Reloader 7
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image upload [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What a beautiful rifle.....
Posted By: Joe Re: 1885 High Wall - 05/02/20
Originally Posted by mmgravy

Let the good times roll.

What cartridges are legal?

It is a late answer but, .35 or bigger with exposed hammer ie a Ruger no 1 in .35 Whelen is illegal but, a CVA in same is good to go. Stupid bureaucrats!
Posted By: Hugh_W2 Re: 1885 High Wall - 05/02/20
Stunning wood and great metalwork! Congratulations.
© 24hourcampfire