Home
Posted By: Sixpack 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
Been looking at the various 45-70 single shots and really want a Ruger No 1. However, I’ve also considered aTC Contender or another Encore. I like the contender better but I have not been able to source a new rifle barrel in 45-70 for the contender. If I was to go encore it would have to be a Katahdin 20” barrel. Is there another source for a 45-70 rifle barrel for the contender? TC doesn’t list it as a rifle any longer (it may not have ever been but I thought it was). If you had the choice, would you go contender or encore? Thanks men!

Killing time and dreaming during current situation....
Posted By: eblake Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
I would not go with an Encore Katahdin unless you planned on staying with very light loads only. I like Encores and have used many different calibers but the 500 mag Katahdin that I had for a very short while was too muzzle light for me. You could custom order a longer, heavier Encore barrel from MGM or others. I have not used a Contender 45-70 but think that one would have issues similar to the Encore. I had a Ruger #1 in 45-70 that I did not care for; my brother loves his and has used it for all his whitetail hunting for the last couple decades. The best compromise between comfortable shooting and ease of carrying that I have found in a single shot 45-70 was a Winchester 1885 with a 24 inch barrel. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be very common.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
.45-70 goes well with the Highwall or Sharps rifles. It excels with big chunks of lead. Such things are unkind towards light rifles. Fact of it is, light bullets and the .45-70 are an oxymoron. Fella wanting to fiddle with kinder loads in a light rifle might think about a .38-55.
Posted By: Muffin Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
Bullberry.com lists 45 -70 as an option for both Contender and Encore........

For the Contender they post this: ‡ The 45-70 US Government when used in the classic Contender or G2 actions should be limited in pressures by utilizing original Marlin Model 1895 loading data.

I do not see that limitation for the Encore...

Speak with Troy if you call them....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Sixpack Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
Good info fellas... keep it coming.
Makes me reconsider the contender in 30-30...
Have one of those, it shoots lights out. With pointy spitzer bullets.
What configuration Dan? Weight? I would be heavily leaning towards a stainless/synthetic frame and blued barrel in 30-30.
Weight around 5.5# give or take. 22" standard contour, plastic stock. Looks about like this w/o the muffler.

Initial load workup using Sierra 150 grain FB Spitzers and Hornady 170 FP. Sierra target is lower left.

Still using the same bullet, but with RX15 and it runs 1/2 MOA for three shots consistently. And it kills 'em dead.
Posted By: hackleback Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
A 45-70 in a 16" Contender would be..... sporty.
Posted By: 160user Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
I have an H&R Buffalo Classic and love it. It carries like a broom stick, has a long barrel, shoots 300 and 405's quite well and won't break the bank. Just a thought.
Posted By: Muffin Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
Originally Posted by hackleback
A 45-70 in a 16" Contender would be..... sporty.

You're right about that................ the pic further up of the 'Mushrooms' .... they were shot out of a Marlin Cowboy Gun, 26" Octagon Bbl, yadda yadda.... 500grns loafing along at about 1600 fp, it was close to 'sporty'..... that might be a bit too stout for the Contender frame though.....
Posted By: cv540 Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
I have a H&R with a 18inch .45-70 barrel, (one of the last issued during their barrel program.) I handload for it, and yes the 300 grain bullets in even light loads are stout recoil in this little rifle. Nifty rifle, but hindsight would do a bit longer barrel.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
My last .45/70 was a Number One. Probably a symptom of my age, but I found it uncomfortable off the bench even with pretty light loads. The thought of a Contender so chambered gives me the willies.

I have a Contender carbine under construction, but in the lowly .44 mag, which is plenty for our scrawny whitetails, and a lot easier on the shoulder of an old sissy. Considered the .30 WCF, but a Henry SS .308 makes that kinda redundant. My MGM .44 barrel is a 20" bull, which should make up into a pretty compact and handy brush crawler.

The Henry, BTW is worth a look in .45/70 too. For about the price of an aftermarket TC barrel, you also get a nice (sometimes very nice) walnut stock. Only caution is that the comb is pretty low for scope use, and might rise up and greet your face pretty hard on a kicker.
Enjoying all the comments fellas. I currently have a HandiRifle 45-70 with 22” barrel (an ejector model too) bought the first year of MS’s Primitive Weapons Law change allowing their use. It has been wonderful and accurate with everything I’ve shot through it. It led to 2 different Marlin Guide Guns (I can not like the straight stock during recoil) which are both gone plus an Encore barrel which is also gone. I like the cartridge a lot and thought a falling block single shot would be nice. A Marlin 1895 with pistol grip stock is another possibility as well.

I often find myself in this predicament... wanting way too many guns and never having nearly enough money!!!

I do see the thinking on a nice, light and handy contender being a dragon when it touches off a semi stout 45-70 load. Think I’ll leave the contender to something a little milder.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/21/20
I just bought a 45/70 barrel for my knight kp1 From saddle ring . I have yet to fire it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/22/20
Sixpack, FYI there is a relevant difference between Gen1 & 2 Contenders. Note the added slab of metal on the G2s. It’s there to manage frame stretch and is a beneficial modification. When peak pressure starts nudging the 40kpsi realm with the .30-30 there is a brief and temporary stretch that opens the gap between frame and barrel. It allows the case to stretch and it then gets compressed as the pressure wanes. Result is difficulty with case extraction. Keep that in mind as you pick and choose. I have experienced it with my Gen1 in .30-30 and it limits velocity to about 2350 with 150 gr bullets. Gen2 frames don’t have the problem from what I understand.

Posted By: Sixpack Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/22/20
Thanks Dan! More good info! I’m leaning towards a TC Contender now but have never owned or shot one. Will most likely purchase a new G2 frame which should be good to go from what you just told me. I am wanting a 30-30 barrel and probably a 357mag/38 special barrel as well. It would go well with my smiths and be a great little woods bumming/pack rifle! Where are y’all getting most of your non-TC barrels? MGM? Bulberry?

Will revisit the 45-70 later. The contender has always been something I wanted to try. It appears to be a much handier than the encore, especially for the chambering s I want.
My first two barrels came from T/C 20 years ago. Last pair came from Bullberry. The T/C barrels are good. Bullberry’s are stellar!
My .30 Sneezer came from Bullberry

Posted By: stantdm Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/22/20
Of all of them I have had in .45-70 my favorite is the 1885 Browning. It shoots 405 gr. with open sights quite well. I don't shoot heavy loads often but if I do the Browning is heavy enough to be okay to shoot.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by stantdm
Of all of them I have had in .45-70 my favorite is the 1885 Browning. It shoots 405 gr. with open sights quite well. I don't shoot heavy loads often but if I do the Browning is heavy enough to be okay to shoot.

Had a B78, with the death-dealing buttplate back in the 80s. My shoulder still hurts (I began my hunting with 12ga slugs without issues, so wasn't always a candyass). Wish I had the little Sako Vixen I traded for it back.

Currently, I have the little Low Wall Traditional Hunter in .44 with the same buttplate and it's a pussycat. They have made some 1885s with a regular butt and pad. One of those would be okay, I think, but really there's no real need for such a minor cannon here unless it's just for fun, so I'll never know. I do ogle the .38/55s once in a while.
Posted By: SS336 Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/22/20
I don't think I would like a contender in 45-70. I would think recoil would not be pleasant in one. My 45-70 isn't a single shot, but a Marlin 1895, it's pretty heavy. It has a plastic curved buttplate, even with light loads it gets your attention. I solved the problem with a Galco padded slip-on pad. It works great and and adds a little length to the buttstock. If you have a similar problem and don't want to put a recoil pad on your rifle it might work for you.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
.45-70s and a single shot....tang sight, haven't found the need for mounting the scope yet.

The one in the middle weighs about 530 gr.

Second from right

4th from right is the .38-55. It's a malnourished version of the .45-70 but still shoots OK, at least offhand. At 100 yards.

Posted By: SS336 Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/22/20
Jeez Dan, that's a beautiful rifle. Overtime I see it I start drooling uncontrollably. grin
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/23/20
Henry makes a very nice one. Do the very simple 5 minute trigger fix and enjoy!! I love mine!!

Attached picture IMG_E1457 (1).jpg
Posted By: Sixpack Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/23/20
Thanks for all the replies men! Dan those are some fine shooting irons! Very nice photos throughout the thread. Still studying on the whole subject
Posted By: eblake Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 04/30/20
The only 45-70 that I still own is a Marlin 1895 GBL which has a pistol grip, a cushy recoil pad and 18.5 inch barrel. It is surprisingly comfortable to shoot and is extremely accurate with the factory Hornady 325 grain FTX ammo. It is a hefty rifle and very compact. There's enough weight up front to minimize the issues I had with the Encore and #1 45-70's.

Based on a sample of one, I'd strongly recommend an MGM barrel for your Contender. The 22 mag MGM barrel that I just purchased and started shooting is excellent in all respects and is by far the most accurate Encore barrel that I've ever owned (of more than 10).
Posted By: the_shootist Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 05/04/20
Originally Posted by 160user
I have an H&R Buffalo Classic and love it. It carries like a broom stick, has a long barrel, shoots 300 and 405's quite well and won't break the bank. Just a thought.

I've got one too. Mine seems to like my home cast 405 water quenched and also the 350 flat points. The cast is my favourite. I use 4198, 3031, RL7, AA5744, Benchmark and H4895. Fun rifle for not much money.
Posted By: domit Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 05/04/20
ssk will make one for you in pistol or rifle'
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: 45-70 Single Shot - 05/05/20
In the early 90's I had a Contender peep sights and 16" factory ported barrel. Right around the 4lb mark.
Synthetic Stocks may have helped was shooting Marlin 1895 rated loads from it and my Marlin 1895 22" barrel.

400 gr speer few grains less then top end.

Felt recoil was about the same from rifle to rifle.

The Contender was a joy to carry in the the stuff carried like a long barrel handgun.

I've also C Sharps 1875, numerous Handi Rifles, numerous Ruger #1 including a # 1 Lyman Commerative.

Handi Rifle Buffalo Rifle was downright ugly to shoot

F
© 24hourcampfire