Home
Posted By: Pappy348 SSK50 - 04/24/20
Just got an email from Haus Of Arms that said the new Contender clone project is being pushed back a bit more; maybe mid-Summer now. I'm staying in line since there's no money involved and the "new" frame looks interesting. A G2 carbine is in the works in the meantime. You can save a few bucks on MGM barrels from HoA if what you want is in stock there.
Posted By: kandpand Re: SSK50 - 04/25/20
I am on the waiting list too. I am also looking for used frames to build a couple of carbines.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: SSK50 - 04/25/20
If and when I get my hands on one, I plan to make it a range toy since the G2 is more convenient for field use, and a bit stronger, allowing more potent cartridges. The old ones are very trim and stocks have pleasing lines.

Lots of other stuff on hand to keep me busy, so there's no rush, and I want them to get it right the first time.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: SSK50 - 04/28/20
I’m on waiting list as well.

357 max rifle is gonna be end result
Posted By: J23 Re: SSK50 - 04/28/20
I'm on the list. Gonna built another carbine. I've always wanted a 6.5jdj.

...but then again I've been thinking of a 32 h&r carbine, with cast loads covering a wide velocity range, from mouse fart through "magnum". With an old gloss M8 or a Skinner rear sight. It would probably see more use than the jdj.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: SSK50 - 04/28/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If and when I get my hands on one, I plan to make it a range toy since the G2 is more convenient for field use, and a bit stronger, allowing more potent cartridges. The old ones are very trim and stocks have pleasing lines.

Lots of other stuff on hand to keep me busy, so there's no rush, and I want them to get it right the first time.

My understanding is the SSK is a stronger frame.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: SSK50 - 04/29/20
The steel is supposed to be better than the originals, but the frame lacks the reenforced side rails that were designed to limit frame stretching. MGM lists some cartridges for the G2, but not the originals. Perhaps they will update their list for the SSKs, perhaps not. Personally, if a combination is borderline, I'd lean towards an Encore frame.

Then, there's also recoil to consider. Good examples are the .444 and .45/70, which are safe in all contenders IIRC, but might be more fun than many would want to have. I kinda wanted a MGM .444 barrel, but theirs requires a special (ML) forend to handle the recoil, so I bought a regular .44.
© 24hourcampfire