Home
Posted By: nick MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/16/20
I have decided I want to try Minnesota Brand traps for trapping coyotes. I am only interested in coyotes, nothing else.
I am not sure if I want the 550's or 650's.
I believe either will work, I like the larger pan on the 650's.
Both look to be very well built. I like the quality feel of them.
So which size should I go with? Don't really want to try 6 of each, looking to buy a dozen for now.
Unless you're running into wolf size coyotes, I'd run a 550 all day long.
Posted By: WL205 Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/17/20
I run 550 off set, I'm very pleased with them.
Posted By: nick Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/17/20
550's seem popular.
2 spring? Or 4?
Posted By: WL205 Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by nick
550's seem popular.
2 spring? Or 4?

I'm restricted to the 2 coils here in OK, I also catch several grey fox and MB recommends the 2 coil if targeting foxes. If it were legal here and I only targeted bobcats and yotes I'd go with the 4 coils.
I have decided I want to try Minnesota Brand traps for trapping coyotes. I am only interested in coyotes, nothing else.
So which size should I go with? Don't really want to try 6 of each, looking to buy a dozen for now.

I run the MB-550's off-set and like one poster said , unless you got wolf sized yotes the 550 is all you need. Ive caught some nasty yotes and they will not hurt those traps. The 650 is a big trap. Here's a couple pics of the 550's in action.

Attached picture thumbnail (1).jpeg
Attached picture 20200314_145239.jpg
Attached picture 20180711_224432.jpg
550's seem popular.
2 spring? Or 4?

2 coil and clip the spring pins.

I have used both. If you will deal with hard frozen ground and snow, the 650 will break through the covering better. For specifically targeting coyotes, 650 is great.

If you are dealing with fox and non-targets, 550 is better. Also quicker to bed and punch in sets.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/19/20
I have no idea why a bigger trap wouldn't work better , 650 gets my vote .
I am with you ol_mike. They are a big trap and they are quick coming out of the soil, like a explosion when the ground starts to get a little stiff.
I run 550's also but 650's are what I like.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/20/20
Clint Locklear recommends TS-85 beaver trap , it's proven by video game-cam that caught animals fight a bigger trap far less .

TS-85 is only $29 and a lot more area for the animal to step onto the trap - although that trap wouldn't be legal here . 6'' inside spread max .
I vote for the 650. I ran both here in Maine when I was still trapping before all the lynx rules and after one season traded in the 550's for more 650's. I ran the cast jaw, 4 coiled and really liked them. They really shine in frozen ground. I caught some red fox in them and they never did any more damage then the 550's.
First let me say that I've never used Minnesota traps. I've heard they are really good. However, for coyotes I prefer #3 Bridger traps. They are 6 1/2" inside where the MB 650 is 6 1/8". That's probably not an issue, but a 550 at 4 3/4" will hold a coyote. The The Bridgers cost less, too.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/24/20
Just a question for the uneducated ( me )about the MB traps. Does the 550 or 650 quad coil require some type of setting tool?
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Just a question for the uneducated ( me )about the MB traps. Does the 550 or 650 quad coil require some type of setting tool?

The 550 2 coil is easy to set over knee and I think the 4 coil as well. The 650 has wire levers and I can't grip them with my palms. On solid ground I use the edge of my boot tip. That may not be possible in snow. They make a setting tool that is designed to allow you to hold the trap open with one hand. It is not difficult to use, but I don't use it because if your grip slips it would seem rather dangerous....the setting lever would be a projectile launched by a very stout spring.
t

243 or even better 6 Creedmoor is what I use (I suck at trapping) .. with a fox pro.

I have shot coyotes in deer fields while turkey and deer watched - Not saying I hate coyotes... oh wait.. yes I am !!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/25/20
Originally Posted by Oldman3
First let me say that I've never used Minnesota traps. I've heard they are really good. However, for coyotes I prefer #3 Bridger traps. They are 6 1/2" inside where the MB 650 is 6 1/8". That's probably not an issue, but a 550 at 4 3/4" will hold a coyote. The The Bridgers cost less, too.

Link to MB-650 specs .

https://www.minntrapprod.com/MB-650-Cast/productinfo/MB650C/
I have a handfull of MB-650's,, they are a great wolverine trap and have never lost one or had a trap destroyed to date.[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 08/27/20
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

The 550 2 coil is easy to set over knee and I think the 4 coil as well. The 650 has wire levers and I can't grip them with my palms. On solid ground I use the edge of my boot tip. That may not be possible in snow. They make a setting tool that is designed to allow you to hold the trap open with one hand. It is not difficult to use, but I don't use it because if your grip slips it would seem rather dangerous....the setting lever would be a projectile launched by a very stout spring.
t

Thanks Readonly
I prefer the K-9 Extreme to the MB-650.Link
I trap in the UP of Michigan we have some large coyotes or some could be called coywolfs never have lost one using 550 with dirt or in deep snow trail sets....do loose about 20% of the wolfs caught in trail snow sets really don't care.... hate releasing them wish we could keep at least one....
Posted By: ol_mike Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by waterrat
I have a handfull of MB-650's,, they are a great wolverine trap and have never lost one or had a trap destroyed to date.[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I hear Wolverines are rough customers on traps so that says a lot .

MadTrapper3 , the K-9 Extreme looks great , I like getting stuff that's 'ready to go' these days , more time for other stuff .
i think a bigger trap should work better
Posted By: 22WRF Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 09/15/20
I have a half dozen 550s with the cast jaw (not offset) that I bought, dyed, waxed, and never used. Anybody want to buy them?
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Link to MB-650 specs .

https://www.minntrapprod.com/MB-650-Cast/productinfo/MB650C/

Here's another link...... not sure if either is correct.

https://www.rpoutdoors.com/mbcoytrapwit.html
Posted By: cra1948 Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 09/24/20
I used the 650' s with the cast, offset jaws when I lived up on the Canadian border where we had some really big coyotes. What I liked about them: with the wire followers and quad springs they would come up through a pretty good, partially frozen dirt cover and still get a high grip on a coyote. I seldom had one where the foot was not still mashed down on the pan. I liked the centered D ring, so the coyote was not able to get an angled pull on the trap. I liked the offset jaws which close further, relative to how high on the jaws the followers could get. In my experience, when a coyote tripped that pan, he was yours.

What I didn't like about them: The inside jaw spread was bigger than the state of NY thought I should be setting on land.

If I were getting started today, I would have no problem going with the same trap in a 5" size if it had all the same characteristics.
Originally Posted by cra1948

If I were getting started today, I would have no problem going with the same trap in a 5" size if it had all the same characteristics.

That would be a Sterling 500 which is generally considered a superior design to the MB's, but dang near impossible to find. I looked on a dozen each of the 500's and 600's 6 years ago, right when the bottom fell out of fur (everything but yotes) and my life circumstances took me away from much trapping. I sold of all the 500's and all but 2 of the 600's.
Originally Posted by readonly

That would be a Sterling 500 which is generally considered a superior design to the MB's, but dang near impossible to find. I looked on a dozen each of the 500's and 600's 6 years ago, right when the bottom fell out of fur (everything but yotes) and my life circumstances took me away from much trapping. I sold of all the 500's and all but 2 of the 600's.

I got a dz 600's last year. Had to email sterling and get on a list. When they went into production I was emailed back and placed my order.
Still I believe the K-9 Extreme and the J.R's are better traps.
I used the 650' s with the cast, offset jaws when I lived up on the Canadian border where we had some really big coyotes. What I liked about them: with the wire followers and quad springs they would come up through a pretty good, partially frozen dirt cover and still get a high grip on a coyote. I seldom had one where the foot was not still mashed down on the pan. I liked the centered D ring, so the coyote was not able to get an angled pull on the trap. I liked the offset jaws which close further, relative to how high on the jaws the followers could get. In my experience, when a coyote tripped that pan, he was yours.

What I didn't like about them: The inside jaw spread was bigger than the state of NY thought I should be setting on land.

You need inside laminations to be legal in NY
Posted By: ajf55 Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 09/29/20
IMO, if you are in area with the possibility of fox, 650's can be a bit rough.
650 is the best trap made today. The big pan and trigger. I’ve got a pile of sterlings and go to the 650 instead
650 is a big, rank trap, hard to beat for coyotes
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Traps 1.jpg
Posted By: Shag Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 10/21/20

Oldman3, Im just getting into trapping and value your thoughts. But I just can't get past Bridger's and Dukes being made in China. I'll pass for an American made trap. Again just getting into this with no intent to offend.
Originally Posted by Shag

Oldman3, Im just getting into trapping and value your thoughts. But I just can't get past Bridger's and Dukes being made in China. I'll pass for an American made trap. Again just getting into this with no intent to offend.

I bought my traps several years ago and at that time Bridger was owned by Minn. Trapline Products. I just figured they were made in the US. I googled it and it says the Bridgers are made in Taiwan. Learn something new, every day. And thanks for the info.
Posted By: Shag Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 10/27/20
Hey man hard to find anything made in America theses days. 😤
Posted By: Idbob Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 01/17/21
I would go with the 550.

Excellent choice of Traps
Posted By: kbush Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 01/22/21
I personally do not like the pan system on the MB650. I much prefer the rod style dog on the 550's. The Duke 650 will have the same setup with rod style dog except the pan is square.

MTP is supposed to introduce a dogless version of the MB550 this summer.
Originally Posted by Highoctane
[quote=nick]I have decided I want to try Minnesota Brand traps for trapping coyotes. I am only interested in coyotes, nothing else.

I run the MB-550's off-set and like one poster said , unless you got wolf sized yotes the 550 is all you need. Ive caught some nasty yotes and they will not hurt those traps. The 650 is a big trap. Here's a couple pics of the 550's in action.

Just a quick question for a green horn does the off-set jaws seem to be easier on off catches? Around here anywhere you find a good set you can run into coon or fox hounds and I been told off-set jaws are easier on something if you want to let it go
Posted By: Shag Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 01/24/21
pics
off set mb550 will be plenty.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's a Duke 550 OS in action...No problems with the 550's

Attached picture thumbnail.jpeg
Attached picture yote.jpeg
Posted By: 9Legend Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 02/07/21
550's for me. Can't go wrong with 4 coil, but 2 coil will definitely hold em

Chalk another one up for the 550. Black male today.

Attached picture thumbnail.jpeg
650 here, and not because a (much) smaller trap won't hold them. I've never MISSED an animal that has stepped on a 650's pan.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
650 here, and not because a (much) smaller trap won't hold them. I've never MISSED an animal that has stepped on a 650's pan.

I can't use anything bigger than a 550 for land traps, but I can use larger taps for water sets.
Four coil 1.75's are damn good coyote traps. I just hate teaching them not to lose a toe.

Bingo
Posted By: Judman Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

Bingo

you guys should listen to that...
Have left the local song dogs alone because they keep the meadow vol population in check but their increased population and recent daytime attempts on our free range flock have pissed off Momma. Had one lone 'yote flock shoot the girls t'other day and come up empty as both she and I heard the roo's early warning and were able to intervene and run the bastard off before missile lock was achieved on a single runner. Got one of those halibut eye looks when I informed her that late November would be a better time for pelts.... *grin*

Have been looking in earnest at various options out there and was impressed by the offset MB 550's but given the prep required, I'm even more impressed by the coated, offset, 4-coil No BS K9 Extreme Jr. Both are made in America but the K9's build quality and coating longevity (can also be dipped in Full Metal Jacket) are likely worth the few extra $'s.

550 vs K9
I’d go with the 550. You won’t be giving anything up.
I like the 550’s
Posted By: KB64 Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by MadTrapper375
I prefer the K-9 Extreme to the MB-650.Link

I think the K9 extreme is easier to set than the 650 due to the dogless design of the extreme. Didn't care for the 650's and sold the few I had.
Posted By: TrapEd Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 10/05/21
I have both if there's little chance of domestic animals I would recommend the 650's. Both are built like tanks spend the extra 40.00 and get the cast jaws the regular jaws need to be laminate. I traded for a couple dozen with regular and there a bitch to change.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 11/08/21
Trap makes and sizes are as personal a choice as what kind of woman you're in to. I'm a big fan of square jaw, dog on, Northwoods style coils in #2 for coyote, fox, badger, as well as the occasional bobcat. I baseplate and put a shock spring on them. Some are laminated and some aren't. The laminated traps get 4 coiled to keep them fast. For my strictly cat line I use #3 double long springs with big pans, baseplates, and a heavy twist link #3 chain set up. I've used MB550s. Not a huge fan of the pan tension situation, but it can be fixed. I have buddies that have regularly held wolves in MB650s. They're also great traps. Knowing how to trap and set up your traps is a lot more important than what brand or size you use.
i have both but i prefer 550 personally. Both are great coyote traps, just that i feel like the 550's are easier and quicker to set.
Also, 550's are easier to release non-target IMO.
I use 550’s and 650’s and had good luck with both. I bought some little sleepy creeks and even caught and held coyotes in them. They’re legitimately too small but they worked.
Posted By: wytex Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 01/10/22
Check put the MB Alphas. They are dogless and night latched.
Posted By: ihookem Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 01/29/22
I plan on starting to trap fox around my place . They are all over and I like rabbit hunting . I can get a Duke 550 for 20 bucks . Some questions though. I do have to wax them right? I dont know why I have to wax them . I imagine they will smell the metal. When I was a kid I trapped a few fox but that was 40 yrs ago. I recall waxing them but did get one is a coon set once.
I've got 18 MB 650's. They are all I use
I use 550's.

If I weren't worried about somebody's coonhound or beagle, I might use 650's. They seem like they'd be pretty serious overkill on the foxes, as well. There's been more than one guy around here that held a black bear in a 550. eek So coyotes shouldn't be a problem for them.
MB 550's for me. Haven't lost a single coyote in one.

I'll have around 50 of them out during trapping season along with my old Victor 3-N's. I have base-plated my 3-N's to mimic the 550's center axis and almost totally eliminated any foot damage. I have quit rebuilding my 3-N's, choosing to replace them with 550's.

@ihookem, the only real reason to wax is to stop any further rusting and to slightly lubricate them. Nothing to do with scent control.

IME, human scent disperses pretty quickly. That doesn't mean you should handle them with bare, sweaty hands.

Ed
I know a guy who uses an MB-750 for most, beaver also.
Posted By: Osky Re: MB 550 or 650 for coyotes? - 11/06/22
I have both in cast offset. In northern Minnesota after spending a day chopping in fall traps along frozen logging trails I sure appreciate a smaller hole to make for the 550. The 550 isn’t letting anything out if it hits the pan in good order.
Bigger in a bigger bed or smaller in a smaller bed packing is the key. Wether Pete moss, waxed dirt, ant hole sand etc keeping the bed relatively dry is important. Sometimes you just have to dig em out and re set.
The pipe dream type sets are nice as you have that heavy grass/hay/ mulch over top that helps keep th trap working.
For a young person consider cost. More sets, better odds. Don’t get any more for your fur if it’s caught in an expensive trap.
As for my 650’s there is a two piece setter device made by a guy over on Trapperman. They are slick and easy to use plus a lock-ing feature for safety.

Osky
© 24hourcampfire