Home
Just wondering ?
The longest I've ever had was about 3 miles on a 4-wheeler. Then I'd load the 4 wheeler and move to another line that was about 2 miles. Move again and then to another that was about 1.5 miles.

I figure that's peanuts to what some trappers do.
Back in the ‘70’s I ran long line’s for mink, three different lines about 150 to 200 miles each and coyote a little less, probably 350 miles total.
Coyote line was about 150 traps, mink, 175-200 traps.
Used to drive 45 miles one way back in 70s early 80s trapping rats, mink and coon.
I did beaver eradication (impossible task, lol) for a couple of years. Averaged 250 miles a day, usually starting at 4:00am, and getting back home around 9:00 PM. At any given time, would have 150 - 200 sets out. Abosutely wore out a Toyota 4WD in 2 years.
There were days that I'd call the land owners/ managers and / or game wardens and tell them where the carcasses were piled so they could come pick them up and dispose of them. Too many for me to haul off. I'd have to look at my books, but I think the most caught in any one day was 53....and that was in late July or early August.
Talk about hot, nasty work. Nothing I've ever done compares to a beaver swamp on a 95 degree day for nasty.
Thanks for the replies - fun to read .
Wow Ed-T &Gary - that's a lot of seat-time .

I've been scouting for deer this fall - ain't seeing much sign on public land also not seeing much predator sign.
Wondering if buying a license and driving 60-70 miles a day is worth the fun .

It was sure fun when I was a teen - heading out the door walking setting traps for fox/coon/possum/rats in SW Ohio . A red fox would bring $50-$65 Coons $25 , rats $5- $9 that was some pocket change for a teen [mid 70's] ..
Back when I was trapping for the fur, like you said, early - late 70's, there were no beaver to speak of in my area. Left and spent 6 years touring the world with uncle Sam's misguided children, and when I returned, dang things were everywhere. Landowners, farmers, timber companies were paying big bucks to try to get rid of beavers, but good God, what work, even for a 27 year old right out of the Marine Corps. After about the fifth round of giardia, I'd had enough, lol.
If fur prices were high enough to cover the gas, I'd be on the line now. Still a lot of beaver around, but I'll leave that for the young guys.
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Back when I was trapping for the fur, like you said, early - late 70's, there were no beaver to speak of in my area. Left and spent 6 years touring the world with uncle Sam's misguided children, and when I returned, dang things were everywhere. Landowners, farmers, timber companies were paying big bucks to try to get rid of beavers, but good God, what work, even for a 27 year old right out of the Marine Corps. After about the fifth round of giardia, I'd had enough, lol.
If fur prices were high enough to cover the gas, I'd be on the line now. Still a lot of beaver around, but I'll leave that for the young guys.

GaryLL1959 ,

Even a Marine can't drink swamp water everyday - you should have taken something to drink on the beaver-line ,, smile ,, ..

A guy on GON = georgia outdoor news does beaver nuisance trapping - the pictures he & his son post show me that it doesn't look fun . HOT/HUMID/COTTONMOUTH SNAKES/MUD/NASTY TRUCK INTERIOR - - wow I sound like a sissy .
Going to do some more looking for trapping spots this weekend , maybe get a license - I don't know
I used to drive 45 minutes south before work to run a beaver line, then it was an hour and 10 minutes north, past my house to get to work. Trapping is a LOT of work, but I sure enjoyed it. Now I spend that time chasing my pack of beagles around.
I ran about 40 miles and another 10-20 via boat.
Consistantly 150 mile loops when mink were worth it.
I can remember headed out at midnight the day trapping season started to get traps set. I was like a kid on Christmas.

That was quite a few years ago. To be young again
Back in the good ol days I would drive 150 mi each way on my coon/ mink line
muskrats paid for my gas
467 MILES ROUND TRIP EVERY WEEK..................
nobody told ME you could drive.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Hey Huntsman22, What year were those pictures taken? Very cool!!!!
late '70's/early '80's
Nice! Do you recall what cats were bringing back then?
Originally Posted by EJKELLEY
Nice! Do you recall what cats were bringing back then?

I was wondering the same thing.
When I was longlining for coyotes in the 80s and 90s I’d do 250-300 miles 3-4 days a week. Same when I was doing coyote and beaver control work in the off season.
Way past the point of being cold. Had a 4 wheeler set up with trapping trailer I had made behind it for hauling stuff. I remember huddling over the engine trying to warm up. Good times. Couldn't handle it now days if I tried. Used to drag some nieces and nephews with me trapping and calling. They loved it. Would like trap and call more again when I retire but...
Back in the ‘70’s my partner and I ran 40 or 45 miles for fox and coons and about a ten mile water line later in the season. We worked evenings, trapped days, slept a few hours at night. Wish I could do that now.
My Marten line was about 100 miles from home.
I drive 180 miles to trap pigs, but I’m going anyway.
I drive 350 miles in the UP been doing it for 16 years since retiring......
© 24hourcampfire