Home
Am 56 and been hunting all my life. Aside from the occasional 'live trap' of a coon or two, I've never done any trapping.
Can you folks recommend books/video to get me started? There are a lot out there. I'd rather get ones that actual trappers recommend, instead of me picking a couple.

We have a few beaver on the land, but not many. But we have a CRAP TON of coyotes. I hunt em, but think I'd enjoy learning something new.

Thanks ahead of time!
I am a relatively new trapper myself...after dabbling in it for years.

I learned a fair amount by watching youtube videos. I don't have any one specific youtube channel to suggest, but there are several out there. I have no desire to trap beavers or rats, etc. I just concentrate on the big ticket critters. A dirt hole seems to be popular for coyotes and there's an absurd amount of youtube videos showing how to do it.
Thanks, I'll peruse YouTube as well. Just ordered a book, not sure how good it is but it seemed to 'show up' in a lot of places

The Black Book of Coyote Trapping Kellen Kaatz
If you dont want to spend money on books, go online to gutenberg.org and type trapping in the search box. Lots of free books for reading.
The owner of Hoosier Trapper Supply made a DVD a few years back titled “Coyote Trapping”.
It is simple and to the point and packed full of information. I have it and would highly recommend it.
There’s a kid on YouTube that has a channel called Coon Creek Outdoors and he has some good videos.
Also, if you’re gonna spend the money, go ahead and spend the extra money and buy four-coiled traps or MB’s. You won’t regret it.
Also, if you’re gonna spend the money, go ahead and spend the extra money and buy four-coiled traps or MB’s. You won’t regret it.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Get a prescripton to Fur, Fish Game.

Lotsa resources there.
Thanks guys!!!!
The noob old man appreciates all the help!!
I do a good amount of trapping, it is my favorite outdoor pastime. Go to trapperman.com and go through the archives, there is a ridiculous amount of good information. The best magazine out there is Trappers Post.
Thanks again. Been on that site a little bit now. Shopping for a couple 4-coils and some snares to try out
Originally Posted by ajf55
I do a good amount of trapping, it is my favorite outdoor pastime. Go to trapperman.com and go through the archives, there is a ridiculous amount of good information. The best magazine out there is Trappers Post.

^^This^^
I have quite a few trapping DVD;s that are in like new condition. I am done with them and will sell for a discount from new price.
Trapperman.com, then do it and study what you do.
2nd Fur Fish and Game
YouTube and Trapperman
Originally Posted by Oldman03

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

....2 coiled will hold anything you trap.
Rick Jamison's The Trapper's Handbook.

Get the basics with that and use YouTube for details on specific types of sets.

Craig O' gorman......Slim Pederson........and Bill Nelson........bob
Most of the coyote guys down here have gone over to snares.
The First thing you should do regardless of age, location or target animals, is to join youre state trappers association. the national trappers and the furtakers of america. then attend trappers conventions and catch demos and visit with other trappers. At youre age and getting a bit of a late start, id put yourself miles ahead of the game, spend the money, and attend the Furtakers of America Trappers college.
Originally Posted by deflave
Rick Jamison's The Trapper's Handbook.

Get the basics with that and use YouTube for details on specific types of sets.

That book is 40 years old a lot has changed over the years....equipment and techniques.
© 24hourcampfire