Home
I have 4 330's that have incredibly strong springs on them, I hate setting them so I must be doing it wrong.
There are tongs, and ropes......
https://www.minntrapprod.com/RTS-Trap-Setter-Bodygrip-Setter/productinfo/TRG-SET/

Easiest and safest.
I always used a setting tool that was made to squeeze the springs --kinda like tongs with notches in the ends and a hinge that would let you squeeze them far enough to get the keeper over the springs.

The ones I have work great and aren't near as elaborate as the ones pictured. I will take a pic of mine and post them if I can find them.

Ken

Yeah, they are pretty strong.
I use the tongs like most everyone else.
I don't care for the rope method at all except
for a JIC emergency measure.
FWIW I made my own tongs with a little bit
longer handles than the store bought ones
found around here.

If you don't already have one, you ought to
consider picking up one of the little spring
loaded safety devices they sell for about $5.00
It'll sure save your rear if you fire one on your
hand accidentally even if you have tongs or a
rope or whatever. I use one for all of my BG's
except for 110's
I made a setter from 1/4" rod... T handle on one end, J bent into the other end. Stand the trap up... put one foot on the 2 bottom jaws... poke the J hook end through both eyes on one spring... pull up the bottom eye, set the safety hook.... repeat. Easy Peasy on 330s.
Setters
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I made a setter from 1/4" rod... T handle on one end, J bent into the other end. Stand the trap up... put one foot on the 2 bottom jaws... poke the J hook end through both eyes on one spring... pull up the bottom eye, set the safety hook.... repeat. Easy Peasy on 330s.

I have a couple of those ^ ^ ^
They work great as long as you're on
solid dry ground. If you're in the slop
or belly button deep in the creek
not so great. I have and use the
hook and tongs both
I know more than one trapper who set their 330's at home and transport to the field on the hooks. A safety device when placing the set is a VERY good idea.
Originally Posted by Ranger99
found around here.

except for 110's

Got any links to the safety device?
Amazon: Duke 963 0963 Safety Grip Tool for Body
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by Ranger99
found around here.

except for 110's

Got any links to the safety device?

Can't make a go of it with this raggedy phone,
but all the trapping supply places have them.
RP outdoors is closest to me , plus a link ^ ^

Free helpful hint- I put a piece of blaze orange
high viz cord on each of mine. Makes it easier
to find if you set it down, and reminds you to
remove it after the set is finished.. . . Not that
I would forget to do that. . . .
They’re a bastard to set with just your mitts, setter is the way to go
http://www.montanaoutdoor.com/2016/05/the-art-of-setting-a-trap-fast/
Originally Posted by Judman
They’re a bastard to set with just your mitts, setter is the way to go

Yep and I am done with that forever! Ordering a setting tool already. I made a block out of a piece of wood with a groove in it so I could step on the spring to collapse it. Still a pain to do.

4 seconds! Hot dam! I can barely compress the springs on mine, barely and 4 minutes is more like it if things go well. I need a hard surface, in the dirt doesn't work for me.

And slowest
http://www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com/tools--supplies.html
I always just squeezed each spring by hand and put the lock then set them. At the trappers convention we used to do it timed standing waist deep in a barrel of ice water.
naked?.....
nobody ever did, most just jumped in and set them. naked in ice water isn't a good way to impress the girls, just show them the bulging arms
I made a setter. Bought a 4’ piece of 1” by I think 3/16” flat iron at Home Depot. Cut it into two about 18” pieces. Drilled 1/4” hole about 10” from the end of each piece. Bolted them together to make a scissors. Rat tail filed an angled notch near the end of each of the 10” portion of the scissors. Works fine, and cost about $7.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer this type safety
I always used the tongs they made for them.
Tongs are a pain for the 330 and larger traps. Ive found good heavy rope easier.
By hand, use 2 hands if needed. I watch my 70 year old father still do it by hand so there is no way I am even going to step foot around a conibear with a setting tool.
Prep a few with the safeties if [bleep] is going to be sloppy.

"If you don't already have one, you ought to
rope or whatever. "

Be very serious about taking this advice. I failed to use one while setting a 330 Bridger in late October of 2020. The trap snapped on my left thumbnail.
.The pain was almost unbearable, and the thumb bled for quite awhile. I would later lose my entire thumbnail. But fortunately I did not lose the ability to grow a new thumbnail, for which I was quite lucky. I still have not completely healed and have just a little bit of thumbnail to grow before I am back to normal. These large killer traps are no joke. Be very careful with them. Don't do what i did. Use a safety device at all times.
I use the sleepy creek setters for large conibear a and double long springs. A safety is a good idea! I haven’t used one, but many use the caulk gun style locking/ratcheting setters. Just be careful!
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Tongs are a pain for the 330 and larger traps. Ive found good heavy rope easier.

This is how I was taught, a white nylon rope from the farm store with a loop tied in the end to put your foot in so I could pull with both hands.
I've used caulk gun type, tongs, rope and hands. Hands is not a matter of strength but rather technique, and I don't set enough conibears to bother perfecting it. Rope don't work too good in a swamp. Tongues are my preference. Caulk gun when necessary.
Thats what large strong friends are for..
The difficulty of setting them and the potential for disaster were the reasons I quit using "comic bears" for beaver a long time ago. 220's still for fisher, but what little beaver work I do anymore is with done with leghold traps, specifically MB 750's with laminated jaws. Yes, it takes a little more set construction effort, yes, you need to know a bit more to make a good drowning set, but to me, it's worth it.
Easiest way..... let some else do it.

grin
Squeeze the spring with the tongs. Hold with one hand and put the safety clip over the spring. Do the other side. Set the trigger place the trap then carefully remove the.safety clips/ hooks.
© 24hourcampfire