Home
Posted By: T_Inman No BS trap Initial Review - 04/26/21
I have dabbled in trapping for years, but this year after taking a transfer to AK I decided to go balls deep into it. I had trapped raccoons, fox and coyotes a bit, thrown some bobcat snares out too but I never got serious about it. Well this year, after catching 2 lynx and 3 wolverine I decided to buy some seriously high quality traps, instead of the cheaper Duke and to a lesser extent, Bridger (despite 2 wolverines being held in Duke #3s, 1 of which was just a toe catch). The first wolverine was literally lunging at me when I got to it, so I was a bit nervous about the trap holding, though it ultimately did. A few weeks later I caught another, and maybe I got lucky with this big male wolverine being toe held by a $15 trap, but maybe not. It wasn't literally trying to kill me as the first one was, but it had also been in the trap for a few days. He chewed every limb off of that tree, DESTROYED the chain and swivels and also bent the trap frame and spring fasteners a bit, though it still works.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After much deliberation I had it narrowed down to either MB or NO BS traps. NO BS got the nod over MB, so I ordered a dozen of their Beaver X-Tremes since they were big enough for wolf if need be, but not too big as my primary targets are lynx and wolverine (also because I just luv beaver). Well, HO LEE FÜCK are these things hellastout. I have zero worries about any future wolverine or wolf breaking chain link welds or having swivels fail.

Despite the Dukes working and me not loosing a critter in them, I am intrigued and suspect these NO BS traps will be well worth their cost. I am totally looking forward to this coming season and plan to double up on the amount of wolverine sets I have out. My one complaint (so far) is that the night latches don't seem to work right. I can't feel nor hear the "click", but when setting the trap I can lift up on the pan and make sure it doesn't move up, in which case it is set correctly. Maybe they just need broke in a bit.

Anyhow I hope if anyone is thinking about upgrading their traps, or thinking about getting more into the sport like myself, that you consider this helpful. I most certainly plan to have success pictures next winter.

Posted By: kingston Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/26/21
I love your posts!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/27/21
[Linked Image from media.makeameme.org]
Great post. It's amazing what the wolverine did to that tree. I did a lot of Fox, coon and coyote trapping in the late 70's early 80's until the price of fur got so bad I got out of it. It sure was a lot of fun. Good luck with the new traps, and keep posting more pics.
Posted By: poboy Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/27/21
Bolts and nuts at the jaw hinges is a +.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/27/21
Boy did that wolverine ever tie that chain up in knots and the trap held together, can’t believe he didn’t pull his toes off doing all that damage to the tree. Good job catching 3, hope you post some more pix.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Boy did that wolverine ever tie that chain up in knots and the trap held together, can’t believe he didn’t pull his toes toe off doing all that damage to the tree. Good job catching 3, hope you post some more pix.

He did some damage, for sure. He was caught only by a single toe though. The skin was sloughed off, as you can see in the pic. I was amazed he was still there. I am not real experienced with trapping so we'll see if this was a coincidence, or if reputations of critters ripping their toes off and chewing their feet off are exaggerated.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/27/21
Do yourself a huge favor if you keep your
Duke traps and buy as many base plates as
you need to do your traps. I did all my dukes
and it makes them a way better trap for hard
fighting animals. I should have bubble tipped
them while I was welding the base plates, but I
got in a hurry and didn't do it.
That, and a couple of crunch proof swivels
per trap. That was the best advice I was ever
given. Animals can really twist up a chain and
tear stuff up
Good Luck
Thanks for that.
I do plan to keep the Dukes for lynx, since they are not too hard on traps, but will beef the baseplates up. I already did upgrade their swivels after that last wolverine. Their spring pivoting system and arms are kind of weak too. Any ideas on how to beef them up?

Even though the lynx season goes longer and I target them in different habitat, there is always the chance of catching a wolverine as a non target in a lynx cubbie, so getting the Dukes up to speed is not a bad plan.
Nice! I’ve been wanting to try some too, the K9 extremes. Seems like the extra cost is worth the time and effort of modifying and repairing other trap brands. I really like dogless traps. Although a lot smaller than what you’re running, MB is supposed to be coming out with a dogless 550 with a lowered dogless pan. Wanna try that one too. Keep posting pics of your line.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/28/21
WOW..... That pic of the wolverine being held by the toe is unreal. But what impressed me the most, was the damage to the tree. I've heard and read that wolverines were bad, but I didn't really have a clue. Makes me kinda glad we don't have those things down here.

Good work TI
Posted By: Judman Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/28/21
Nice Ted. As with all outdoor gear, good stuff is worth the extra $$. Can’t wait to live vicariously through you next year. 😂👍
Tinman,
I don't know anything about trapping but that wolverine seems to have meanfvcked that tree.
I do know that winters in AK can get lonely so if you need a top I have SLM's number.
Your welcome,
Slave
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Any ideas on how to beef them up?

Besides the base plates and crunch proof swivels
I put a weld on the cross frame where it is spot
welded to the frame. It's only got the spot welds
holding it together, and I haven't had one break,
but welding it insures it won't break ever.
And bubble tip the jaws.
I had one of the ears holding the jaws break on a
victor round jaw and had to weld it back together.
I guess you could buy the replacement springs
and a 4 coil kit to get more juice. I don't know of
a fix for the levers. I just bend mine back straight
when they bend. My victors have the same weak
levers.

I'm sure the better quality more expensive traps
don't need any work to use other than opening
the shipping box and setting the traps
Posted By: T_Inman Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by wageslave
Tinman,
I don't know anything about trapping but that wolverine seems to have meanfvcked that tree.
I do know that winters in AK can get lonely so if you need a top I have SLM's number.
Your welcome,
Slave

Who is this drunken asshøle?

PS, I love you're your COCK pics.

Out with the 'slave, in with the, uh......
Posted By: T_Inman Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Any ideas on how to beef them up?

Besides the base plates and crunch proof swivels
I put a weld on the cross frame where it is spot
welded to the frame. It's only got the spot welds
holding it together, and I haven't had one break,
but welding it insures it won't break ever.
And bubble tip the jaws.
I had one of the ears holding the jaws break on a
victor round jaw and had to weld it back together.
I guess you could buy the replacement springs
and a 4 coil kit to get more juice. I don't know of
a fix for the levers. I just bend mine back straight
when they bend. My victors have the same weak
levers.

I'm sure the better quality more expensive traps
don't need any work to use other than opening
the shipping box and setting the traps

I have thought about turning them into 4 springs, and still may just do that.

What do you mean by "bubble tip"? My google fu isn't too strong but I presume this isn't referring to bubbling my tip.
Maybe welding a blob onto the ends if the jaw arm tips so they won't slide through their corresponding hole in the frame? My god this thread has turned dirty.

I luv it.
No #9's? They are pricey but they sure do work.....I bought a wolf off the new owner a few years ago and we've talked online a bit. JR is a solid dude and runs a line up north
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/30/21

What do you mean by "bubble tip"? . . . . .
Maybe welding a blob onto the ends if the jaw arm tips so they won't slide through their corresponding hole in the frame? . . . .

Yes
Exactly

If you have some cheap traps like I do
with the cheap thin frames and jaws,
you have to spend money on welding rods
and wire. :-)
A ready to weld base plate is a dollar and
some odd, so it's easier for me to buy em
than to spend my time making any
Clint Locklear has a yoofloob vid with a
bent up trap that he didn't bubble tip
" Tiny trap club "
https://www.alaskatrappers.org/board_of_directors_jr_pederson.html
Posted By: T_Inman Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 04/30/21
I have heard Alaska #9 is a hell of a product, but the guy seems to be backed up and not real quick in getting orders out.
Posted By: NMiller Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 05/02/21
Congrats on the gulos. Where 'bouts are you trapping? I use a lot of #3 Bridgers for cats, I use the fully modified ones. I held a wolf in one of them this year. I have a few of the NO BS traps, they are tanks for sure. I got 12 wolves this year, most of them in #9s . Check out my pics here.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7111800/update-on-the-line
Posted By: T_Inman Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 05/02/21
Wow....good season.
I trapped all over....but mainly south of Fairbanks a ways.

You?
Posted By: NMiller Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 05/02/21
Delta Junction area. 20A
Always dreamed of Alaska as a kid but had to settle for freezing my butt off in NE MT. I remember finding some less expensive traps in a catalog one day and pointing them out to my dad (oldesttrapper) to which he replied: "Only rich trappers can afford cheap traps." Thanks for a great thread.
I have some K9 extremes a d have been very impressed with the quality! I also like sleepy creek traps, but I think they are out of production at the moment. Dukes will do the job, just as others have said you may need to modify them for larger animals.
T-IanMan the guy that makes the #9's bought the company and then got cancer. He's back at it at though. JR is a badass dude, I bought a really white wolf back in the day from him. Its a beauty and huge.

Ever see 2 wolves get got in one #9? It happened....
I'd rather trap wolverines myself
haha
Posted By: T_Inman Re: No BS trap Initial Review - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Ever see 2 wolves get got in one #9? It happened....

I have not.

That would be a site to see, fo shizzle.
Did they chew each others legs off?......grin
Kendall sure does make a good trap. I use the k9 extreme, the jr. and the 1.5 of his.
Congrads on the wolrivine! Ted wish you much Luck trapping this season! Still have a bunch of my old traps, might set a few for Coyotes after deer season.
© 24hourcampfire