Home
Posted By: EJKELLEY Skunk line - 10/04/21
Gonna set up a pretty fair amount of skunk traps tomarrow. Some pelts might be ok but mainly after the essence and to clean out some befor puttin in the coyote iron.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Skunk line - 10/04/21
Back in my younger days when I was trapping,if I caught a skunk,I'd shoot it and leave it in the trap.Within three days the coyotes would be all over it.I'm not sure if the buzzards ate it or the coyotes did,but there would be coyote tracks all over the trap and spot where the skunk was.You could tell they where rolling in the hair and stink where the skunk was.I wasn't trapping coyotes at the time,but I'm sure if I would have set multiple traps around the spot,I could have easily caught a few coyotes.I saw the same thing happen everytime I caught a skunk.So you might try this and see what happens.
Posted By: erich Re: Skunk line - 10/04/21
Back when fox were worth a C-note each I would set a skunk line early. I tanned a few and used them for backs of snowmobile mittens, they sold well also.
Posted By: EJKELLEY Re: Skunk line - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Back in my younger days when I was trapping,if I caught a skunk,I'd shoot it and leave it in the trap.Within three days the coyotes would be all over it.I'm not sure if the buzzards ate it or the coyotes did,but there would be coyote tracks all over the trap and spot where the skunk was.You could tell they where rolling in the hair and stink where the skunk was.I wasn't trapping coyotes at the time,but I'm sure if I would have set multiple traps around the spot,I could have easily caught a few coyotes.I saw the same thing happen everytime I caught a skunk.So you might try this and see what happens.

I do this practice later on in season when i catch skunks in the coyote traps, with the ones that spray. I burry them and set off off them with good results.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Skunk line - 10/04/21
Thanks Guys, I've learned a lot here!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Skunk line - 10/05/21
I've had luck doing this. Catch a skunk in a set for coyotes. Kill the skunk and reset the coyote trap, plus add a trap just outside the dig line. Take the skunk and stake it about 20 yds or so from where it was caught, and place a trap there, also. But dont have the two sets within sight of each other. Doubled on coyotes using this method a few times.
Posted By: MadTrapper375 Re: Skunk line - 10/05/21
For skunks I use 120's in a box and they rarely spray. Rotten cheese smelly bait seem to work best for me when I target skunks. If they do spay use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, bakeing soda and dawn dish soap to remove the odor before skinning. They are thin skinned so go easy when fleshing.
Posted By: EJKELLEY Re: Skunk line - 10/12/21
Did a 3 day check saturday morning. 20 traps and had 10 skunks. 1 bonus roadkill also. Pulled 7 oz. of pew and kept 2 to skin out. Pretty good day. Friday morning I took a nice cow elk. Life is great!!!!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Skunk line - 10/13/21
booner...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: 44mc Re: Skunk line - 10/13/21
hunts , you need to get extra points for that monster
Posted By: EJKELLEY Re: Skunk line - 10/18/21
I ended up with 20 skunks 10 I skinned and put up and collected a pint of pew.
Posted By: EJKELLEY Re: Skunk line - 11/01/21
Had a nice skunk in a coyote trap the other day. Took it home and skinned it, nice pelt. 55 cc of pew thats 35.00, the pelts ive been selling at 8.00, and skulls at 2.00.Thats a 45.00 skunk.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Skunk line - 11/07/21
Didn't have any out and I should have made time.
Dang neighbors dog herded one over here in the
wee hours, and it decided to let go right outside
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Skunk line - 11/24/21
I used 160's with square buckets when I targeted them, worked awesome. I'll probably going to be getting back into trapping this next year again and getting my boy going around the farm taking out skunks and yotes
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Skunk line - 12/11/21
Boy does that essence draw in the k9s and bears!
Posted By: gamma4diesel Re: Skunk line - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I've had luck doing this. Catch a skunk in a set for coyotes. Kill the skunk and reset the coyote trap, plus add a trap just outside the dig line. Take the skunk and stake it about 20 yds or so from where it was caught, and place a trap there, also. But dont have the two sets within sight of each other. Doubled on coyotes using this method a few times.

Getting pictures of a skunk, will definitely try your method.
© 24hourcampfire