Home
Posted By: Calvin First wolf - 12/05/21
Watched a few YouTube videos and got some gear out a few weeks ago. Finally had some critters come through. Got one and had one break my snare. Short season for us but next year going to expand into a fair amount of bait sets with foot holds.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Judman Re: First wolf - 12/05/21
Nice Joel. Follow a guy from your locale that flat puts the hurt on emโ€ฆ fun to watch.๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: FishinHank Re: First wolf - 12/05/21
Excellent!!!!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: First wolf - 12/05/21
Well done. Congrats.
Posted By: pete53 Re: First wolf - 12/05/21
excellent good to see another dead wolf ! CONGRATS
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: First wolf - 12/05/21
GREAT!
Posted By: WL205 Re: First wolf - 12/05/21
Thats awesome
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: First wolf - 12/06/21
Congrats.... glad we dont have those critters down here.
Posted By: 160user Re: First wolf - 12/06/21
Well done. Alaskan #9's and a urine posts will put a hurt on them. I had this funky colored one show up here last week.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: AKduck Re: First wolf - 12/07/21
Nice work. The farm over there is overrun.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: First wolf - 12/07/21
What are wolf pelts going for? On average.
Posted By: yukon254 Re: First wolf - 12/08/21
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

The auction market is a bit dicey right now because of covid. I sell almost all my wolves privately to hunters Ive guided or my trapping clients. Most Ive gotten was $1000 for a real nice one. An outfitter buddy sold 6 wolf hides in one hour on crack book. Prices ranged from $600 to $850 USD
Posted By: Calvin Re: First wolf - 12/08/21
Originally Posted by AKduck
Nice work. The farm over there is overrun.

Seems there are a lot less wolves than there was.
Posted By: MadTrapper375 Re: First wolf - 12/08/21
NICE!
Posted By: VernAK Re: First wolf - 12/09/21
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

The auction market is a bit dicey right now because of covid. I sell almost all my wolves privately to hunters Ive guided or my trapping clients. Most Ive gotten was $1000 for a real nice one. An outfitter buddy sold 6 wolf hides in one hour on crack book. Prices ranged from $600 to $850 USD

I'm seeing tanned hides for $500 for average greys with white or blacks bringing more and large exceptional blues up to $2,000 USD
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: First wolf - 12/11/21
Love this, great job!
Posted By: 9Legend Re: First wolf - 12/21/21
Very nice. Congratulations
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: First wolf - 12/22/21
Congratulations! I have always heard they were tough to trap.
Looks like you are on the way.
Posted By: huntersdog Re: First wolf - 12/22/21
Nice one! What size cable snares were you using? 1/8 cable with cam locks.
Posted By: River21 Re: First wolf - 01/11/22
Nice.
Posted By: River21 Re: First wolf - 01/11/22
Congratulations.
Posted By: pete53 Re: First wolf - 01/12/22
CONGRATS again , now i wanna see pictures of number 50 th trapped and killed ,100 th wolf you trap and killed and then 200 th wolf trap and killed and so on ? good luck ,Pete53
Posted By: cwh2 Re: First wolf - 01/13/22
Congrats Joel!
Posted By: SSMT Re: First wolf - 01/15/22
Congrats
Posted By: rodman Re: First wolf - 02/23/22
GREAT catch!!!
Posted By: SCAMMER - BEWARE! Re: First wolf - 07/26/22
Nice one, congrats!
Posted By: Spacers67 Re: First wolf - 09/07/22
Well done, congrats!
Posted By: Shag Re: First wolf - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by Judman
Nice Joel. Follow a guy from your locale that flat puts the hurt on emโ€ฆ fun to watch.๐Ÿ‘

Congrats Joel! PM me for info on the man.... POW wolf killing master. One hell of a great guy. Nice work man!!!
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: First wolf - 10/09/22
Wolfers are in a class of their own.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: First wolf - 10/12/22
๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: First wolf - 10/12/22
Good Job ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Posted By: GAGoober Re: First wolf - 10/14/22
๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: Osky Re: First wolf - 11/19/22
Great catch.
If legal set up winter bait sets and hang snares all around them. Bring โ€˜em to you.
In the long haul more efficient than footholds.

Osky
Posted By: Whitetaillane Re: First wolf - 11/21/22
Well done
Posted By: Calvin Re: First wolf - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Osky
Great catch.
If legal set up winter bait sets and hang snares all around them. Bring โ€˜em to you.
In the long haul more efficient than footholds.

Osky

We did a similar set a few days ago. Got gear out and fishing. It's a roll of the dice if the big pack some through in the next 23 days. A lot on the island I set on so I am hoping they get to my bay before I have to go pull gear. 30 day season sucks.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: First wolf - 11/22/22
Great snaring advice.

Good luck Calvin !!!

Posted By: Calvin Re: First wolf - 11/22/22
Good video. Thanks. Picked up a few tips for sure
Posted By: ol_mike Re: First wolf - 11/23/22
Yep, guys like Morley are sure worth listening to.

I applied the 'hang snares in the thick stuff' to feral hog trapping, lost count of how many I snared over the 9 years of being in that hunting lease.
I'd dig a hole with posthole diggers pour in stewed-off corn w/grape/strawberry koolaid mix in the thickest spot I could find back in the swamp. I'd use cheap construction wire that can be found in lowes/depot in the sack cement/concrete foundation area. Place two runs of wire one 10ish inches off the ground a second run of wire 16-17 inches high. And repeat that run 8-9-10 feet wide ''pathway'' to the corn, open ended, two ways in two ways out gang-set with several 1/8'' snares.

I had a 8x12' camping shack 9' off the ground, roofed, 5'6'' walls, window in every direction. Cot, full size mattress, wood-burning stove, office chair.
Over time I heard hogs/coyotes and a fox get caught in traps snares - 300-800 yards away, wow are they loud in the still of the night.
Posted By: Osky Re: First wolf - 11/24/22
The video is great thanks for posting. Iโ€™ve set up baits in thick bush and down in bulrush beds on the ice for coyotes and it works really well.
Setting up an overlook hillsides with a bait below I have not done, sure looks like it works! Neat to learn new ideas and methods.

Osky
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: First wolf - 12/04/22
Snares on runways works well.
Posted By: Calvin Re: First wolf - 12/04/22
Wolves havenโ€™t come through yet to my bay. Put out a bunch more gear today. Wolves were howling above me most of the morning. Stuffed a beaver carcass in a hole to hopefully draw them in If they come through I have plenty of gear waiting for them. Hung a camera too. I have till the 15th.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: First wolf - 12/04/22
I trap coyotes with snares in Michigan there's no season on wolves but most years I snare a couple wolves by accident....its not that hard to catch one if there was a season it would be simple to catch....

Never have used bait just put my snares on "runs" used every year or deer runways....i think if bait was used probably catch even more wolves so don't use.....

Like to snare in heavy forested confers its the winter area for deer yards and hunting grounds for coyotes after snowshoe hare and deer....
Posted By: pete53 Re: First wolf - 12/19/22
great video , hope you all do well trapping more dead wolves is good to see ! these dang liberals want to protect these killers , if these liberals lived where wolves are they would not feel there liberal ways to save wolves . > wolves here in Minnesota we shot ,trapped and poisoned wolves for 100 years and could never get rid of these wolves and now in Minnesota wolves are protected what a joke !
Posted By: Osky Re: First wolf - 01/10/23
Originally Posted by pete53
great video , hope you all do well trapping more dead wolves is good to see ! these dang liberals want to protect these killers , if these liberals lived where wolves are they would not feel there liberal ways to save wolves . > wolves here in Minnesota we shot ,trapped and poisoned wolves for 100 years and could never get rid of these wolves and now in Minnesota wolves are protected what a joke !

All truth there, or I should say here. If you recall back aroundโ€13โ€ when we had a couple of years of wolf season in Minnesota the hunters did not fare well in shooting them but when they turned the trappers loose the quota was filled quickly.

I do not think they are overly hard to trap, however here in Minnesota and Iโ€™m sure the other states deep snows make it tougher. Stringing cable makes it less work and is more efficient.

Osky
Well done, congrats!
Posted By: captjohn Re: First wolf - 03/03/23
The MN wolf season was a quick end, Both times I had a trapping tag and both times quota was virtually filled before it opened. If it ever comes up again I think I will be trapping lots of coyotes the week before it opened!
Posted By: Osky Re: First wolf - 03/04/23
Originally Posted by captjohn
The MN wolf season was a quick end, Both times I had a trapping tag and both times quota was virtually filled before it opened. If it ever comes up again I think I will be trapping lots of coyotes the week before it opened!

I think the trappers who do best in that situation are/were guys who had trapped the same areas for quite a while and had a real good feel for when the wolves would come thru and from which direction. Some areas have longer travelers. The flip side of that I know a back Blandin road trail that has tracks every other day, maybe two or even 3 home ranges overlapped there I would guess and the guy who set on it was successful within the short season.
When trapping my area up until last season I had to deal with at least one a season when setting for coyotes. That was less and less as years come on as the coyote population plummeted here and I trapped less for them.

Osky
© 24hourcampfire