I've got a gallon of meat
working right now to dope
up with some bait solution,
but it gets a price increase
seems like every time I
need to buy some
Thanks for any info
Posted By: readonly Re: Predator bait - 01/10/22
I made a couple of gallons with chunked beaver and dobbins bait solution over 10 years ago and still have some left. I use bait sparingly and about 1/3 of my predator sets. The beaver/dobbins works as good as it gets. But it is good to use different baits to give some variety. There are a number of good commercial baits from powder river to any number of small time producers.
I also use muskrat and rabbit carcasses, scraps and trimmings from deer butchering, mice, and bacon grease.
Posted By: erich Re: Predator bait - 01/10/22
I'd run a skunk line early to get the little guys off my fox trapping area. I'd cut the tails off, great for a double dirt hole mound with just the tip of the tail sticking out of the top of the mound. I'd cut the two hind legs off and whack them up with an axe to bait sized chunks, fur and all. ziplock sandwich bags full and put in the freezer and thaw out what I needed for the day, great for deep winter. My neighbor would call me when one of his sheep died, I'd give it a day to ripen a little, cut a hind quarter off, chunk it up and bottle it with preservative, the wool makes great lure holder..
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Predator bait - 01/15/22
After you've aged your meat and added your
sodium benzoate, do you stir it everyday, or
leave it be until the S.B. has done it's job?
I've heard both from different people
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Predator bait - 01/15/22
Some of you all put a lot of effort into your bait.

I just cut a leg off of the last critter I caught and wire it to a tree, and/or put a chunk directly under the trap to get them to dig at it.
Posted By: erich Re: Predator bait - 01/15/22
I just sprinkle it in as I pack the jars and leave it

Just for conversation, can I ask what your trapping to just cut the leg off and wire it to a tree.?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Predator bait - 01/16/22
Lynx and wolverine, in cubbies.

It works well for bobcat and racoons too. Pretty much any land based furbearer that isn't a canine, however red fox work the cubbies somewhat often too.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Predator bait - 01/16/22
I use lure/urine and old roy can dog food, mixed in some blue-cheese dressing once. Copied that off a kentucky mountain coyote/cat trapper, he hammers coyotes with that recipe, also uses cheap hot-dogs & blue-cheese dressing.

I use a small auger on a mikita 18volt drill, drill in 3-4 holes around your dirt-hole set, teaspoon of bait in each hole. Gets them in the ''I'm going to get my belly full'' mode and get caught.
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Predator bait - 01/16/22
Usually bait is from a previously caught critter, beaver the most common. After that is could be muskrat or parts of game birds, grouse & such.

Critters in the wild aren’t very picky about the next meal. In a pinch, a can of cheap sardines can work.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Predator bait - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I use lure/urine and old roy can dog food, mixed in some blue-cheese dressing once. Copied that off a kentucky mountain coyote/cat trapper, he hammers coyotes with that recipe, also uses cheap hot-dogs & blue-cheese dressing.

I use a small auger on a mikita 18volt drill, drill in 3-4 holes around your dirt-hole set, teaspoon of bait in each hole. Gets them in the ''I'm going to get my belly full'' mode and get caught.

The blue cheese dressing/ground up meat works
ok, but attracts a lot of skunks in this area. I guess
that's just a part of it. They do need to be worked on.
I've been trying to find something that would get
more coyotes and fewer possums and skunks and
coons
Posted By: readonly Re: Predator bait - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by ol_mike

The blue cheese dressing/ground up meat works
ok, but attracts a lot of skunks in this area. I guess
that's just a part of it. They do need to be worked on.
I've been trying to find something that would get
more coyotes and fewer possums and skunks and
coons

The solution to your problem is location rather than bait/lure. About 10 years ago I trapped an active calf dump on a farm. Caught several yotes and zero possums/skunks. All traps set a couple hundred yards from the dump on the avenues of approach.
Generally, the further off of cover, the fewer egg eaters you will catch. For instance, if you are setting where a farm lane cross a brushy creek ditch, and set right on the brush line, you will catch many more possums/coons than if you set several feet off the brush line. Find terrain features completely in the open and you can almost completely eliminate non-targets.
© 24hourcampfire