Home
Posted By: Chuckbuster Prime Bobcat - 11/09/23
When do bobcat generally begin to get prime? Specifically I am in Central Texas.
Thanx
Kevin
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/09/23
The colder the better I believe for any fur bearer. So, I would think starting in November, but interested to hear what the pro's say.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/09/23
When I was still trapping here in Montana, the Bobcat season didn't start until Dec. 1st. It ended when the quota for your area was met.
They were usually prime when season opened.
Posted By: ToddNE Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/10/23
In Nebraska season opens Dec.1 and I didn't think they were fully prime till the 15th
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/10/23
'cats and badgers are late primers. I always waited till Crimmas to get my cat line out.
Posted By: wytex Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/15/23
Later the better down there, Jan into February unless it starts warming up.
Best cats up here are in Feb.
If you're looking to sell them, price will not be good but hopefully worth the put up. Southern bobcats just don't bring much from fur buyers but yours sure have pretty spots usually.

Thanksgiving is early season for our bobcat trapping but we'll try to catch 1 or 2 to see how fur looks.

Good luck!!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/15/23
We have a lot of Bobcats here in S.Texas, but we don't get prime fur like the northern states. some are very colorful with great spots but they are rare. Rio7
Posted By: Chuckbuster Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/24/23
Thanx guys
I am new to the area, have a little piece of ground that I am working getting a house built to grow old in. Have bobcat around, catch one on the game cameras occasionally and actually had one come out and sit about 50 feet in front of me last week when deer hunting. I know that the house might very likely cause them to be pretty scarce but might try to take one sometime for a mount and thought having the “prime time” info stuffed in a corner of my brain would be good to have.

Kevin
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/24/23
If you want one mounted, why not go to Montana (or someplace) that has good ones?....
Posted By: Chuckbuster Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/25/23
Montana cat would cancel out the “it came off my place” factor.

Kevin
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/25/23
I know a guy to mount those texas cats for ya.......grin

[Linked Image from badtaxidermy.com]
Posted By: colodog Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/25/23
LMAO nicely played!
Posted By: Osky Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/26/23
I’ve trapped them in MN and taken them in other states particularly in Montana. Across the north I think December is a good time into January for sure.
Cats keep a nice coat long into winter long after the coyotes and foxes are rubbing.

Osky
Posted By: Clynn Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/27/23
Cats are late primers . January into February.
Posted By: Bobcat85 Re: Prime Bobcat - 11/30/23
Originally Posted by Clynn
Cats are late primers . January into February.

This...the more spots it has, the better the price.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Prime Bobcat - 12/12/23
That bottom one was mounted by an amateur taxidermist here at home. I remember when he posted it on another forum. People made fun of it and hurt his feelings so he quit the forum.
Posted By: Mark99 Re: Prime Bobcat - 01/11/24
hahaha Love those mounts. Better than I could do !!
Posted By: JeffP Re: Prime Bobcat - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by Chuckbuster
Thanx guys
I am new to the area, have a little piece of ground that I am working getting a house built to grow old in. Have bobcat around, catch one on the game cameras occasionally and actually had one come out and sit about 50 feet in front of me last week when deer hunting. I know that the house might very likely cause them to be pretty scarce but might try to take one sometime for a mount and thought having the “prime time” info stuffed in a corner of my brain would be good to have.

Kevin

They aren’t afraid of my house . Last year I regularly
had a female teaching a young one to hunt rabbits about 40’ from the house. They use my yard often.
© 24hourcampfire