Home
Posted By: vbshootinrange bait for Coons - 06/04/11
Have a Coon hanging around my bird feeder and want to try to catch it with my HaveaHeart trap.

What would work best for bait, on the trigger?

Will shoot 'em IF I see 'em in the daylight!

Thanks! Virgil B.
Posted By: duckcall Re: bait for Coons - 06/04/11
I use marshmallows.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: bait for Coons - 06/04/11
can of sardines....the cheap stinky ones.....marshmallows are good too as duckcall said.....
Posted By: 358wsm Re: bait for Coons - 06/04/11
I found that fish, fresh fish would pull them outta the corn fields to my dirt hole sets I made on the perimeter of those fields. Smelt heads from cleaning all the dipped smelt were the best, but a minnow trap will getcha some killer bait in a few minutes if you've got minnows to be caught somewhere near by.
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: bait for Coons - 06/05/11
smelt work good,yep.
Posted By: Jude Re: bait for Coons - 06/05/11
Half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: bait for Coons - 06/05/11
Thanks for the replys!

Used a chunk of a sausage. Didn't work...got some sardines to try next.

Virgil B.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: bait for Coons - 06/05/11
The Raccoon is precarious little creature...<Grin>

If you didn't mind sacrificing more of what he's come there for... (bird feeder food)

Since it seems he likes it then I'd say put that trap under your feeder stocked with what he is already there for.

As for those sardines (in oil)... Don't open that can completely. Make him work for it by just lifting the top edge here and there so that he has to pry on things. Being that the can is shiny will help too, sometimes. You might do well to also wire that can to the trap so he can't just run off with it without tripping the trigger.

Sleepy Creek #1 coil spring secluded in front of a dirt hole is less intimidating than that big box trap.
Posted By: bea175 Re: bait for Coons - 06/05/11
Marshmallow or Peanut Butter
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: bait for Coons - 06/05/11
Used cheap canned cat food or leftovers. Never tried marshmallows, but I'll give that one a shot next time.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: bait for Coons - 06/06/11
Just some leftovers will get him.
Posted By: fyshbum Re: bait for Coons - 06/08/11
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
can of sardines....the cheap stinky ones.....marshmallows are good too as duckcall said.....

+1 or some fish scrapes after you fillet them. I use fishing line to tie them to the trigger. Works well for feral cats as well!
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: bait for Coons - 07/27/11
forget the trap, put your pets up, get some gold malrin, and a can of pepsi, toss some cut up hotdogs in, and put it all in a old saucer. you';ll have a dead coon in the morning.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: bait for Coons - 07/28/11
Eggs work for me.
Posted By: LarryfromBend Re: bait for Coons - 07/31/11
I just caught one yesterday. He was pretending to be one of the cats at the cat dish. I used tiny marshmellows --- made a little trail to the live trap with a handful on the trap pan. Cats don't eat marshmellows so I don't end up releasing cats every morning.
Posted By: bigbore58 Re: bait for Coons - 08/06/11
Iuse a snickers bar in a live trap we live on my father in laws farm and they have cats so the snickers draws the coons but not the cats it is a quick way to get them out of the sweet corn
Posted By: wattsthis Re: bait for Coons - 08/06/11
.....or you could hire the coon whisperer. I believe he uses strips of bologna
[Linked Image]
Posted By: slg888 Re: bait for Coons - 08/07/11
Eggs work well.
Posted By: arffdog875 Re: bait for Coons - 08/12/11
Fish flavored cat food works great!
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: bait for Coons - 08/19/11
Purina Cat Chow will pull 'em in from miles away.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: bait for Coons - 08/22/11
Orange Soda, and fried chicken
Posted By: RandyR Re: bait for Coons - 08/24/11
I thought it was watermelon and Colt 45
Posted By: Diyelker Re: bait for Coons - 08/26/11
+1 for marshmallows. Trapped tons of them out of the cattle shed that way. My dad caught two in the same live trap one time that way. I don't even know how that happens.
Posted By: Ray63 Re: bait for Coons - 11/13/11
Use the small marshmallows and use several. A coon will sit on his hind feet and reeeeech into the box trap and get the big
ones but he will be so busy digging for the little ones he will be there and not too happy in the morning..... and they melt faster in your hot chocolate milk too.
Posted By: JSH Re: bait for Coons - 11/13/11
Marshmallows seem to be the go-to raccoon bait, especially if you want to limit catching other species. Raccoons seem to be one of the few animals that prefer "sweet". Fish-type baits will attract them but be prepared to catch everything else around as well...
If you want to extend the range of your bait you can add a scent lure especially designed for coon. I have also heard that anise oil and vanilla extract work too.
Posted By: blanket Re: bait for Coons - 11/14/11
Jelly donuts from the day old store, marshmallows,peanut butter,honey and bread. Sardines, catfood and fish will draw cats and possums and stink up the place. And yes the yellow fly bait and pepsi works and kills everything that eats it, just illegal as heck in most places used in that manner and very unforgiving
Posted By: ringworm Re: bait for Coons - 12/07/11
moonpies and white women.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: readonly Re: bait for Coons - 12/25/11
marshmellows and sweet lure to avoid cats in dog proofs, otherwise jack mack.
Posted By: L_Killkenny Re: bait for Coons - 12/30/11
Another vote for marshmallows. I also sprinkle the set with some cherry flavored pre-sweetened Kool-Aid. Very fragrant.

CB
Posted By: wabigoon Re: bait for Coons - 12/31/11
In 1987 I had some luck with Capton Crunch cereal. It all seems to be the same idea.
Posted By: dale06 Re: bait for Coons - 12/31/11
I have used cheap canned cat food and marshmallows and pulled them into connibears many times.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: bait for Coons - 01/16/12
I've had good luck wrapping the pan with tin foil, shiny side out. They can't resist reaching for it especially on clear moonlit nights.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: bait for Coons - 01/25/12
I have had good luck with stinky dried cat food and with miniature marshmallows.

With either, I sprinkle around all the way to the trap.
© 24hourcampfire