Home
Trapping season is open and my son is looking for the "best" bait for his Duke dogproof coon traps. Any suggestions?

P
marshmallow.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
marshmallow.

I second the marshmallow, but I forgot them once last year and stopped at a Sheetz store and bought those round donut holes and they worked fabulous. I like to crumble them up and push them down into the bottom. Also, I squirt a thin stream of fish oil around the DP. =Deadly in my experiences.
Marshmallows work good but I also use hotdogs cut up and marinated in fish oil. Probably catch as many coons with that bait as anything I use.
cotton balls soaked in fish oil...IIRC its cod in a can from wal mart for under $2 is what we used last year.
Marshmallow on the trigger, sardines on top
Marshmallow on the trigger, but i use and alternate between several different lures. Grape or strawberry jelly, fish oil, crayfish oil, also i use a lot of what i call "sweet stuff lure" which is a 20oz bottle with one small bottle of anise 1/4cup or so of honey and fill the bottle the rest of the way with imitation vanilla. This works very well, squirt it on the mallow and squirt a trail to the trap. The sweet lures also help to avoid the skunks that you'll be more likely to catch with the fishy stuff.
Mackerel with a little shell fish oil and some salt so urgently bait don't freeze
Cat food with grape koolaid mixed in works well for me
Fish food pellets, molasses and cherry extract.
I got a #50 bag of the fish food for $8 at Tractor supply.
Plain dry dog or cat food (especially if they contain fish) works great. I have tried adding some of the home remedy type enhancers like Koolaid or fish oil, but the plain dog food seems to work just as well.

Best,

Chet
Originally Posted by MolonLabe
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
marshmallow.

I second the marshmallow, but I forgot them once last year and stopped at a Sheetz store and bought those round donut holes and they worked fabulous. I like to crumble them up and push them down into the bottom. Also, I squirt a thin stream of fish oil around the DP. =Deadly in my experiences.

What I wouldn't give for a Sheetz MTO!!!!!!!!!!
© 24hourcampfire