Home
Posted By: Texgun Coyotes - 08/08/17
I haven't used a steel trap for over fifty years.When I was in high school in El Paso, I used to set them out in the desert for coyotes and rabbits.
I went out to check the traps early in the morning, before school, and carried a bow and some blunt arrows. Then, when it was time to go to school, I took my bow and arrows and put them in my locker,
I bet a kid couldn't do that now days!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Coyotes - 08/08/17
It's sad, but you're right.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Coyotes - 08/09/17
Times have changed.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Coyotes - 08/16/17
I once flew from Seattle to Dulles International with 3 cased arms as carry on.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Coyotes - 08/20/17
Half of us drove our pickups to school with at least one long gun in the back window gun rack.

It was a non-event. Daily occurrence, especially during deer season.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Coyotes - 08/20/17
In the fall we all carried our rifles and shotguns and hunted our way to school put our guns and ammo in our locker, when school was out, we would hunt our way home, I could not tell you how many times the coach or the principle , came along and hunted rabbits or duck with us, when deer and elk season opened we could take days off to hunt, with the understanding we would turn in our home work complete when we came back to school.
I am sad to say those day's are over, it was a great way to grow up. Rio7
Posted By: 44mc Re: Coyotes - 08/21/17
those days are gone but they should not be. i went to highschool every day with a gun in my truck. never did i think about pulling it out for a fight. or no body else in school did. nomatter who you were having problomes with. or knifes for that matter regardlless of peoples skin tone
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Coyotes - 08/21/17
Same here....
But that was the days of the Wild West...
Posted By: hanco Re: Coyotes - 10/23/17
We all had gun racks with guns, those days are long gone. Charles Witman was the beginning of the end.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Coyotes - 11/07/17
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Half of us drove our pickups to school with at least one long gun in the back window gun rack.

I did that and often road hunted on the way home after school. That was in the 60s in West central Ks.
Posted By: DBrink Re: Coyotes - 12/22/17
And amazingly enough not one of those guns pulled it own trigger and went off! Maybe it really isn't the guns fault after all. Okay that's my soapbox for the day.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Coyotes - 12/23/17

When I was 13 years old I came home on my bike from school one day and my Dad told me that Mr Knapp, owner of the local hardware store, had a shotgun I might like to see, an Ithaca Model 66 in 20ga.
With $20:00 in my pocket I peddeled downtown to the store, a few moments later I walked out onto the street, got back on my bike with the shotgun and a box of shells and peddeled my bike all the way down that main drag back home. Nobody blinked an eye.

Flat set.
Sent post set.

Posted By: 358wsm Re: Coyotes - 12/24/17

....and there weren't these aweful mass school shootings back then either like we have now...sort of proved out the adage: "An armed society is a polite society."
Posted By: MaxBB Re: Coyotes - 01/16/18
A few years back I had to go pick up my 16 year old son in pricipals office because he had his pocket knife on his person.
I asked the principal what the problem was to which he had no answer other than thats the rules.
In the 70s I always had 12g and a 22 everywhere i went- no problems!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Coyotes - 01/16/18
I remember once flying from Seattle to Dulles (Washington DC) and taking three cased rifles as carry on. Damned I'm old.
Posted By: satx78247 Re: Coyotes - 01/16/18
1minute,

I'm old enough to remember being asked to carry my Browning Superposed shotgun & a case of shells ABOARD an American Airlines flight from NY to Dallas, because the ticket clerk didn't want to accept the shotgun/case of shells..

Every NYPD officer, who saw me struggling though the AP, wanted me to open the case & to LOOK AT it.

Finally a "4-stripe Captain" came along, asked me if he could help & when I said, "YES please, Captain", he summoned a pair of A-A uniformed folks to relieve me of the burdens.
When we arrived at the gate, he introduced me to the Captain of our flight to Dallas. Thereafter, the Captain of our flight offered to lock up the shotgun & shells aboard & I said (THANKFULLY), "Yes, please". = Had he NOT done that, I would have had to hold the case of shells on my lap!!!

yours, tex
© 24hourcampfire