Home
The little guy in this picture with me is my youngest son. He wanted to learn how to trap that year so I took him with me every day after school to run part of my line. He's 55 years old now.

[Linked Image]

Marten trapping out west around 1972

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Found this old miners cabin to stay in just below timberline. The hike up the mountain was a long one so I lived on freeze dried food for awhile until I found a creek full of trout that came out of a mountain lake.

[Linked Image]
Awesome stuff.. Old pics are just great!!! Thanks for the show..
Posted By: WL205 Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/19/18
great stuff right there!
Great pictures.

I just dream of living like that.

Does your son still like to trap?
This was my trapping partner for several years. He was proud to tell everyone he was 3/4 Chippewa Indian and 1/4 French Canadian. I learned a lot of the old ways from him, he didn't buy any trapping supplies but preferred to make his own that was passed down to him from his family. If he was alive today he would be 110 years old.

[Linked Image]

He use to say, "When I'm trapping I'm as happy as if I was in my right mind"

[Linked Image]
Cool pics. I’d love to do that someday. Where did you trap with the old timer? Where out West?
Here's a nice winters catch of Red's that the old man and I caught around 1970-72. That old Ski-do is a Nordic Track, I think 1970 model, great machine. We could set pizzin sets right off the sled without putting a foot in the snow. Fur prices were very high in those days, a good fox got close to $100. before the bottom dropped out. A big coon was bringing $50.00 in the round. When one got hit on the road someone had it almost before it stopped rolling. laugh

[Linked Image]
Great Pics Ron!, love old pics
Ah those were the days never to be repeated. I dabbled at trapping back in the 40's as a youngster. Cheers NC
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
this dog was snared behind his top fangs and over his nose. Musta broke his neck as ne never disturbed the set. Sold him to Major Boddicker in the round for $150 in '83 or '84

[Linked Image]
Was working on the Table Mountain ranch NW of Cheyenne that year. Cowboy wages was $1000 a month. Made more money on coyote fur in the winter than I did on wages.....

[Linked Image]
You caught a fish in a 330!

Never would have figured that.
Yup. Northern Pike running up a beaver slide to spawn in a irrigation ditch.
Never had any big catch pics as I was always broke on my azz and sold my fur every week...

[Linked Image]
'72 ford Pinto fur buggy. Never wanted the coyotes inside with me as I'da been COVERED with fleas.....grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SU35 Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/19/18
Great pics huntsman.
That was a big coon.
Not old, but we caught a prairie dog in a 110.

[Linked Image]
A big dog Coyote taken with a bow

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That was a big coon.

BIG ain't a big enough word for that coon!!!

wink
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Yup. Northern Pike running up a beaver slide to spawn in a irrigation ditch.

In eastern WA in the late '70s I caught a gorgeous buck brookie in spawning colors in a 110, in a drainage ditch beside a small gravel road, a long, long way from the nearest "trout" water.
this dog was snared behind his top fangs and over his nose. Musta broke his neck as ne never disturbed the set. Sold him to Major Boddicker in the round for $150 in '83 or '84

[Linked Image]

Great picture!

Loved the prices in the late '70s! Averaged almost $400 per coyote properly washed, fluffed and stretched!
Jim those are some happy kids... Nice..
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/20/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That was a big coon.

Amen to that!
he's just draped over a wire stretcher for the pic. 47 pounds and missing a front foot and some rear toes
This thread is young but already epic!

Great pics guys!

Does anyone remember when the fur prices dropped out? I picked up a huge road kill coon in the mid 80's that I sold for $65.00 which was kind of unheard of at the time.
he's just draped over a wire stretcher for the pic. 47 pounds and missing a front foot and some rear toes

I bet a coyote thought twice before tangling with him!
Posted By: ihookem Re: Some old trapping pictures - 10/08/18
I trapped my 16th coon this morning. Does that count?
Has anyone seen Longhunter1 I thought his posts were great... Haven't seen any since May I believe..
Great pics.

It would be nice to see fur prices take a big jump.

Ive been finishing up getting all my stuff ready the last few days. I usually don't lay steel till about mid December and Im getting a bit restless.
Posted By: ewms Re: Some old trapping pictures - 12/02/18
'72 ford Pinto fur buggy. Never wanted the coyotes inside with me as I'da been COVERED with fleas.....grin

[Linked Image]

whats he hair dryer for in the car?
Posted By: JPro Re: Some old trapping pictures - 12/02/18
Really cool pics here.
for drying washed furs
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Some old trapping pictures - 12/02/18
Hey Huntsman, nice fish, Dad & I once caught an otter by the nuts!!!! Lots a diff stuff in the bush when yr there every day, I'm out GWP
Posted By: rong Re: Some old trapping pictures - 12/02/18
Good stuff,love old trapline pics.
We used to grab roadkill coons when we were in HS,had a buyer who didn't want them skinned or stretched,nothin,,usually got around 25.00 for em.
gas and beer money.
I used to try like hell to trap but really sucked at it,I think the coolest thing I ever caught was an Ermine,lol
Posted By: Judman Re: Some old trapping pictures - 12/07/18
great pics guys thanks for sharin...
I am not old enough to have real old pictures but getting old enough to say things like, when I was younger I used to do dumb things like try to fill my 3/4 ton truck with beavers...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not interested in that nonsense anymore smile

These days if I can catch a few critters with my kids along life is good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I am not old enough to have real old pictures but getting old enough to say things like, when I was younger I used to do dumb things like try to fill my 3/4 ton truck with beavers...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

. . .

Talkin' about flees . . . them beavers were probably covered, right?
Most beavers have fleas but they seem to stay on the beaver. Can't remember ever having an issue with them hitchhiking. Fox are the worst and then coyotes. For some reason they rarely seem to hang on very long though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_beetle
Thanks readonly . . . I learned something about the Beaver's "fleas" grin
Very cool thread
Great photos!!
A few of my old favorites....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice cats Field!!!
Cool pictures! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: mart Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/30/19
Those are some great pics. I need to scan more of mine. Here's a few from my trapping days.

That's me with the rifle. My uncle's 32 Special. He loaned it to me several seasons until I could afford a centerfire of my own.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The lovely and gracious Etta our first season together.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mart Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/30/19
And a few more.

The highly prized and sought after double on skunks.
[Linked Image]

A Christmas cat.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pulling some mink sets after an unusually large snowfall with more predicted.
[Linked Image]

My friend and trapping partner. We trapped together one season as our work schedules rarely lined up but this year they did. This was taken just before a fur sale. There's 127 hanging. We ended up with 35 more before the season ended.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Robster Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/30/19
AWESOME pics Mart and the rest. Keep the pictures coming!!! I really enjoy all the old and new trapline pics.
Excellent.. Very enjoyable...
Posted By: 44mc Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/31/19
nice keep posting
Posted By: VernAK Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/31/19
I hope you didn't trap those skunks in Wasilla.
Posted By: mart Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by VernAK
I hope you didn't trap those skunks in Wasilla.

Just south of Wasilla.

By about 2000 miles.
Way to get after it Mart!
Posted By: Brookes Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/31/19
[Linked Image]
I love all the pics, old and new.
I dabbled in trapping for probably 4 years in the early 80’s. Nothing like what’s shown here.
I had a little line on the upper cuyahoga river for muskrat, coon, mink.
I would get up early before school and jump in my aluminum gruman canoe to check the traps.
Good times.
When I read and see old pics of how it use to be makes me wish I was 40 years older. But hell that would mean I’d probably be dead now.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Some old trapping pictures - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

[Linked Image]

Great picture!

Loved the prices in the late '70s! Averaged almost $400 per coyote properly washed, fluffed and stretched!

$400 average. Damn!

I’m too young to have seen those prices, but I think I’ll keep the traps I have left in the sealed drums just Incase fur shines again wink
Posted By: BOFF Re: Some old trapping pictures - 02/01/19
Great pictures!
Wish I had taken them when I was younger.

God Bless,
David B.
I started when the prices were headed in the wrong direction. Here in NE Ohio the prices were $4/$5 nice rat, jumbo coon $20/$25 (and the color had to be good) and big male mink $20 $25.
The couple old timers that taught and helped me would talk about $8 rats, $50 coon, $50 mink, $60 red fox, $75 beaver blanket.
Posted By: Brookes Re: Some old trapping pictures - 02/02/19
Good Picture
Enjoyed all the pics. Thanks
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Some old trapping pictures - 02/03/19
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

The couple old timers that taught and helped me would talk about $8 rats, $50 coon, $50 mink, $60 red fox, $75 beaver blanket.

I remember those prices. A fisher was equal to a week's wages.
Posted By: Brookes Re: Some old trapping pictures - 02/08/19
https://topcoolers.reviews/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/yeti-tundra-35-cooler-300x150.png
60 years ago when I was 5 and was checking out the beaver my older brother Bob had caught.

My SIL added the caption smile

[Linked Image]

Attached picture bobs beaver.jpg
Posted By: JimH Re: Some old trapping pictures - 02/10/19

[Linked Image]
Dandy rabbit catchers on the mirror!
© 24hourcampfire