Posted By: Whelenman Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/03/18
I glad we don't have them here
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/03/18
I glad we don't have them here
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/04/18

take us pig huntin'

(shootin'}
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/04/18
I am sure if we were covered in hogs, I would see it different.

But I think I would love having a year round, unlimited hunting/trapping
quarry. That was good to eat.
Posted By: WillARights Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/05/18

Crime scene! Hanco doin Ma Natures necessary balance work.

Good job! Happy Eatin!
Posted By: Tweed Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/05/18
Are they good to eat though?

I've heard that the wild boars taste horrible.
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/05/18
Originally Posted by Tweed

You are so wrong. I have killed 200# plus (weighed on my scales) hogs in the summer and winter. They are absolutely delicious. Steaks, roast, sausage, BBQ etc ,etc. I will take a wild hog over venison all day, every day.

Doug
Me too... love free range pork. We don't shoot big boars in August and February around here as that is their main breeding season. Sows are always tasty... especially the 120lb ones.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/06/18
Shot some in Oklahoma couple years ago. They were 75-125 pounds. The meat was excellent.
Posted By: Tweed Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/07/18
Originally Posted by DouginLa

You are so wrong. I have killed 200# plus (weighed on my scales) hogs in the summer and winter. They are absolutely delicious. Steaks, roast, sausage, BBQ etc ,etc. I will take a wild hog over venison all day, every day.

Doug

Good to know. What would you compare it to? Do you have to take any extra precaution while butchering near glands or anything?
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/07/18

Doug

Good to know. What would you compare it to? Do you have to take any extra precaution while butchering near glands or anything?

I do not take any extra precautions, just clean them like a deer or any other game. Some of it may have a little nutty taste, but most of it taste like store bought, to me anyway. I have mine on ice within an hour of the kill. Most times less. The secret to me is leaving it in the ice chest for 4 to 5 days with fresh ice daily. I made boudin using fieldgrade's recipe. Don't have a stuffer so made boudin balls. They were awesome. Makes great breakfast pan sausage.
Posted By: foogle Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/07/18
Sure glad someone likes those mangy,parasite infested critters and don’t forget the risk of trichinosis. Having raised thousands of farm raised hogs and eaten feral hogs ,i still prefer the ones we raised. Most recent case of trichinosis was a family in Missouri that was mysteriously ill for sometime until the consumption of feral hog was discovered to be the cause.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/11/18
I do not take any extra precautions, just clean them like a deer or any other game. Some of it may have a little nutty taste, but most of it taste like store bought, to me anyway. I have mine on ice within an hour of the kill. Most times less. The secret to me is leaving it in the ice chest for 4 to 5 days with fresh ice daily. I made boudin using fieldgrade's recipe. Don't have a stuffer so made boudin balls. They were awesome. Makes great breakfast pan sausage.

The only wild hog I ever killed was a 250# boar and to be honest....it smelled like piss when cooking.

[Linked Image]

I'm sure there's lots of variables though.
I wouldn't mind having a source for free pork so I could compare a couple dozen.

I actually made links and balls with that batch of Boudin. I like the balls so much I doubt that I'll case any of the next batch.

PS.....try dredging in Cracker crumbs before frying.....you can thank me later. wink

Posted By: DouginLa Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/11/18
Some big one's do smell. I have killed several that were drug off and left for critters to munch on. I don't kill big ones to eat, honestly I like them around 130# or smaller.

My boudin balls were rolled in flour, then egg, then panko bread crumbs. Makes them extra crispy. I was going to freeze some for later, but they were so good they only got as far as the frig.

E-coli in lettuce is more of a worry then trichinosis in hogs (IMHO). I also only do the gutless cleaning and wash up afterword's.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/11/18
I'm sure the smaller pigs would be the one's a guy wants for butchering.
We weighed that one when we got it back to the guy I was hunting with's barn.....250 field dressed.
I figure the guts had to weigh at least another 50.

That sounds good too but honestly I'd eat Boudin no matter how ya cook it.
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/16/18
A fast way to tell if the pig will be good eating or not before going through the whole cleaning process is.......

Take a small slice from your first cutting to remove the skin and throw it in a frying pan. I am not talking about a piece of skin, but once you remove a little, take a slice of fat or meat/fat. If it smells good the pig will be good. If it smells bad, drag it off.

It doesn't matter if the small slice is all fat, but it must contain some fat. That makes it so its pretty easy!

I try to shoot those that are 150 and under for eating, and have not had a "bad" one in my 30 years plus of harvesting them. I cut some up like you find them in the market....chops, steaks, ribs, roast and grind and some are just cooked whole! I love venison, but will gladly take a hog and most likely shoot the hog before the deer.
Posted By: JPro Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/16/18
If a boar doesn't reek, I might call around and ask if anybody wants it. Seems like folks always want sows though. The boars that do stink get dumped out in the coyote hole. We've got quite a few on camera so far this year.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/24/18
Some boars smell worse than others!
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/28/18
Originally Posted by tikkanut

take us pig huntin'

(shootin'}

Roger that!
Of course Tikkanut can offer a guide trip trip some of the most beautiful country on Earth.

And I can, uh, show you the nastiest homeless camps in San Francisco! They will make the hogs smell passable.
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/28/18
SAUSAGE
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/28/18
I am in the Rio Grande Valley.

We just got them last year at our lease.

Started out with 4 and now as of this summer we have a counted via game camera at just one feeder 29 pigs.

Free meat all year......problem is, as it is everywhere they are is the natural game is pushed out.

I am headed out there right now for the opening of bow season.........little piggies are gonna get some tonight!!

Heavy
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 11/12/18
Killed these last week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Caught more damn pigs - 11/12/18
Great work!
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 11/19/18
Caught some more this last weekend

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/26/18
Caught a few more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gus Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/27/18
man alive! that'd be some good suckling pig right there.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/27/18
Caught more today

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gus Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/27/18
day-um. i thought we had some ugly feral hogs in our middle georgia river drainage systems. y'all might have us beat.

we do our best to keep them beat down.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/28/18
What is the 99 Hanco?
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/08/19
That one is a 99E in 308, I have a couple 99F’s in 243 and 358 I haven’t gotten scoped yet.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/08/19
Caught more dam pigs

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/09/19
Hanco, ya only got about a million to go..... keep up the good work.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/12/19
No hope to get rid of pigs, lots of fun to catch them.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/20/19
Not interested in eating a scavenger that carries diseases that humans can die from. Strep, hepatitis, trichinosis, brucellosis, Ecoli, Lepto, tuberculosis. Check out their diet, as in dead carcasses, cattle manure, human feces, etc. A domestic pig raised in confinement and fed grain is one thing but a scavenger outside and cleaning up every foul thing out there, no thanks. Moses knew what he was talking about with a lot of those dietary restrictions. I wear rubber gloves and tie on to them and drag them to the back. If I had a backhoe I would bury them.
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/21/19
Originally Posted by Hastings
Not interested in eating a scavenger that carries diseases that humans can die from. Strep, hepatitis, trichinosis, brucellosis, Ecoli, Lepto, tuberculosis. Check out their diet, as in dead carcasses, cattle manure, human feces, etc. A domestic pig raised in confinement and fed grain is one thing but a scavenger outside and cleaning up every foul thing out there, no thanks. Moses knew what he was talking about with a lot of those dietary restrictions. I wear rubber gloves and tie on to them and drag them to the back. If I had a backhoe I would bury them.

Pen raised hogs feed on feces and anything that happens to get in the pen. Local farmer here was eaten alive by his hogs after he cut himself on the wire fence. Wasnt much of his remains found
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/22/19
Originally Posted by Hastings

I’m with you!!!!!
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/27/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 01/27/19
pigs rooted in my damn yard last night, they are pissing me off.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 04/23/19
Caught some more last weekend!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rong Re: Caught more damn pigs - 04/24/19
Man Hanco,
how many fuggin pigs you have down there?
You always pile 'em up
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Caught more damn pigs - 04/25/19
I thought you lost your lease.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 04/25/19
I posted this in the Predator and Varmints, but I'll post it here too.

A friend, that I use to hunt pigs with, called this morning with a report. Seems he and another friend have gotten a new trap for hogs. Its the Jager Pro system. They set it up at the same spot where we built, but have since moved, a pen trap last spring. In the last 10 or so days, they have caught 32 pigs/hogs.

This same friend killed 40+ (I forget the exact number) pigs/hogs in this same area, last fall.

Total for the last 6 months or so is 70+ pigs/hogs.

Said he will send some pics.... when I get them, I'll post'em.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 04/26/19
I lost my lease in east Texas, I had two leases. It makes thing simpler in some ways. Damn sure cheaper.

There is more pigs than we could ever kill!!!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Caught more damn pigs - 04/30/19
Youre a pig catchin machine!
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/02/19
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have four round pens and a cage trap on that place. I catch the most when it rains after I’ve set them. Washes away all the scent I leave. I use corn oil as a scent killer. It works pretty well.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/05/19
I made another pig gate this afternoon

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WillARights Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/07/19

Well done, Pork Assassin.

Looks like nice job.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/08/19
so are the smaller female pigs decent to eat ?
Posted By: satx78247 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/08/19
pete53,

I'll take that question: The under 100# pigs of both genders are GREAT eating & the "wee piggies", under 60# dressed, often go straight onto the BBQ pit whole for GREAT "pulled pork". Big sows are FINE, too.

I seldom bother even dressing out the BIGGEST boars, as critters have to eat too. = I shoot them & let them lay, unless I want the tushes for trophies.

I don't think that we have to worry about killing & "wasting" boars, as the supply seems to be growing & endless here in Texas.

Btw, I do not hunt pigs on our family farm, as "Oklahoma Doreen", out of Antlers, traps them & ships them to OK to fatten up/slaughter. = Every 90 days, she sends us a nice-sized check for our "cut".

yours, tex
Posted By: pete53 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/09/19
thanks for posting what are eatable pigs and not
Posted By: Gus Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/09/19
in georgia, i don't think one can transport a wild caught pig. at least not without a blood lab test. not sure about that.

one would think there'd be a market for one-way trapped pigs to someone's home, camp, or processor.

it could be converted into fresh protein for a cookout, or to be frozen for later use in the winter.

everytime my chained dogs in the back of the truck smelt hogs in mid. ga. they went wild.

clearly, if i was in a fancy, smancy subdivision with expensive scrubbery, i'd want help.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by WillARights

Well done, Pork Assassin.

Looks like nice job.

Thank you, I’ve got another to build yet. Rain is slowing things down.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/10/19
We aren’t supposed to catch and release wild pigs to other locations here.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/10/19

We trapped 1 3 or 4 years ago that the game warden estimated 400 plus. He was 32 inches at the shoulder and almost 5 foot long. We try not to touch anywhere with our hands where we have touched the hide. We skinned him and gutted him then put him in ice for 5 days. Adding ice and draining out the bloody water daily. We usually keep the loins whole and grind the rest. Sometimes we will smoke the hams. Each1 of his nuts was big as a softball. We kept those. We parboiled them about 15 or 20 minutes. Skinned the tough outer skin off. Sliced them thin dredged in egg and seasoned flour then pan fried. It was the best pork we had in a while. We usually catch6-15 a year. Sometimes they will have a bad musky smell just dont touch the meat when you have touched the hide. Ice them down and you're good to go
[quote=Gus]in georgia, i don't think one can transport a wild caught pig. at least not without a blood lab test. not sure about that.

In Texas we can trap or kill them 24-7-365. We aren't supposed to move them live. I do know a couple guys with pitbulls and pit crosses that catch them and put them in covered livestock trailers and take them home. They will feed them corn or hog pellets whichever is cheapest at the time for about 30 days and then butcher them and then sell the meat. One guy catches them and sells them to a trophy ranch where they are turned loose and hunted/shot by doctors and lawyers from Dallas inside a high fenced ranch.
Personally when we have caught small ones in a trap, we would feed them a couple weeks but have never transported them live. If iced down for a few days they generally are very lean and taste just like farm raised pork.
Posted By: JPro Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by Texczech

We trapped 1 3 or 4 years ago that the game warden estimated 400 plus. He was 32 inches at the shoulder and almost 5 foot long. We try not to touch anywhere with our hands where we have touched the hide. We skinned him and gutted him then put him in ice for 5 days. Adding ice and draining out the bloody water daily. We usually keep the loins whole and grind the rest. Sometimes we will smoke the hams. Each1 of his nuts was big as a softball. We kept those. We parboiled them about 15 or 20 minutes. Skinned the tough outer skin off. Sliced them thin dredged in egg and seasoned flour then pan fried. It was the best pork we had in a while. We usually catch6-15 a year. Sometimes they will have a bad musky smell just dont touch the meat when you have touched the hide. Ice them down and you're good to go

I'm going to pass on the fried boar's nads.....
I didn't tell wife or daughter what it was till after they ate it. They both thought it was very good. After I told them my daughter turned white and told me if I ever did that again she.would kill me in my sleep.😁 I dont think she really would.🤔
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/11/19
My wife would kill me if I did that!!!
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/18/19
Built a couple more pig gates

[Linked Image]
Posted By: persiandog Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by hanco
Built a couple more pig gates

just wondering why you are not using wood ?
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 07/03/19
Well...... cause I can weld. It’s faster, stronger, not as cheap, but lasts a hell of a lot longer.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 07/03/19
Caught a few more pigs Monday

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/03/19
Caught a few more 9-1-19

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northcountry Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/04/19
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Texczech

I'm going to pass on the fried boar's nads.....

Back home when castrating pigs I believe they referred to them as prairie oysters. Cheers NC
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/29/19
Didn’t have any luck this weekend, didn’t catch a damn pig.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 09/14/20
Caught more damn pigs, 16 altogether

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/02/20
Blasted a few more

Posted By: killerv Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/03/20
Yep, can't transport live wild pigs in Ga.

They've really become a nuisance. I should target them more, I usually let them slide while I'm deer hunting because I don't want to mess up the hunt..and in turkey season I have my shotgun on me with turkey loads....however we have figured out that a turkey load to the rib cage at 30 yards will knock the air out of them and you can walk up and finish them off. We've got one in the 500lb range been hanging around for a few years. Putting any corn out for deer is just a waste of money so we stopped. Walked up on him on a rabbit hunt end of season. Thought someone had dumped a black couch out. I've also got a poland china colored boar in the 350 range hangin around, we had a fun meet on a turkey hunt, he finally got to rubbin a tree about 100 yards from me through the woods, could just see the top of the tree shaking something crazy.

We just drag the boars off now. We like the sows around 100-125, seems to be the best eating in our experience.

Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 12/04/20
We don’t eat them, coyotes need to eat, buzzards also!
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 03/15/21
Going to lease Good Friday weekend, hope to catch some pigs then.
Posted By: Robster Re: Caught more damn pigs - 03/16/21
I went to South Carolina to hog hunt with some good friends for the seventh year in a row. We got two sows that I pulled the loins out of. First time ever keeping any meat. A dry rub for 24 hours, seared in a skillet then baked to 150 internal temp. I was shocked at how good it was. I will be filling my cooler every time I go down now.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Caught more damn pigs - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by hanco
Going to lease Good Friday weekend, hope to catch some pigs then.

I went by Thursday, but your gate was locked. Had to come back Friday.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/05/22
Caught one, he hung up going over trap gate.

Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/07/22
I'll bet that made him squeal loud enough to wake the dead
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/07/22
I bet it did!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/07/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shoot every one I can get a shot at.; to many pigs not enough time. Rio7
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught more damn pigs - 05/08/22
We will never run out of pigs at my lease
© 24hourcampfire