Home
our neighborhood has a continuing circus of family pets running loose, mostly cats and dogs.

i want to trap a few backyard coons. what kind of paw trap is best?

seen several brands, where they're driven down and the coon reaches a paw in and gets trapped.

are some brands better than others, or all the same? if so, i'll go with the lowest-priced one.
set a bunch of getters to thin out the dogs first.......
nah, i know that's a good answer. my grandmom would agree with you when it came to free running fox dogs bothering her free-run laying hens.

i'm trying to be a good neighbor, and don't want to have to pay for a trappers license. our animal control folks don't do their job, but that's a story for another day.
The dog proof coon trap is a cat catching fool.

I have the best luck with a box trap.

Otherwise, use marshmallows in a DP trap. Little grape jelly on the rim. Cats dont seem to have sweet tooth like coons.

If you use cat food and fish oil....you will catch your cat.
thanks Jim. so about any brand of trap is about as good and effective as any other brand. is that it?

we have lot's of feral cats, but i'm after coon.
i used marshmallows in a dog proof trap caught a cat anyway,curiosity on the cats part?

Ed
Z-Trap, dog proof coon trap has worked very well for me. I've also used Duke, and Coon Daggers.

Minnesota Trapline Products is a good place to shop online, and buy from.

If you are looking for a dozen, NIB, shoot me a pm. I have extras. wink
DP
Originally Posted by Oldman3
DP

Heh...
Cage trap with sweet bait.

Stay away from the cheap home store traps.

Good source for traps is https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com

I use Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls for bait. Thousands of coons have liked them.
I've always used Duffer's raccoon traps.
The best option is duke dog proof traps, bait with large marsh mallows (spear one with the trigger) and strawberry jelly. Cats won't touch a dogproof baited with sweet bait. To catch coons you need to set the traps right on their line of travel. Stake it down well. I paint my dp's white for private land (easy to spot) and olive drab for public land.
Dog proof. As others mentioned, use something sweet instead of fishy to catch coons and not kitties.
The original dog proof trap was a conventional trap with a piece of plywood over it. Drill an inch or inch and a quarter hole over the pan. Bingo.
Duke DP traps and keg creek lure and baits- coon crunch is the best there is for catching coons
Coon or cat?
Have-a-heart... then you can pick what cat doesn’t get a ride to the next county
The big green grapes from Costco are the best coon bait going, so I’ve heard.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Coon or cat?

trying to capture coon.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The big green grapes from Costco are the best coon bait going, so I’ve heard.

LMFAO

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The dog proof coon trap is a cat catching fool.

I have the best luck with a box trap.

Otherwise, use marshmallows in a DP trap. Little grape jelly on the rim. Cats dont seem to have sweet tooth like coons.

If you use cat food and fish oil....you will catch your cat.

I’d go with what Jim said. Fish will attract cats, sweets usually won’t.
© 24hourcampfire